4.0 out of 5 stars the skewers
Published 10 months ago by mce USER

3.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if you're prepared to do a bit of mechanicing!
Just arrived. I'm in the middle of unboxing and had to take a break to escape the stink. The whole thing reeks of a gunk type smell (degreasent?).

Published 10 months ago by Ken Bevis

3.0 out of 5 stars Only buy if you're prepared to do a bit of mechanicing!, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: TecTake Bicycle Single Wheel Cargo Trailer max 35kg (Misc.)

Did heaps of research before buying. Have a list of bookmarks as long as my arm; different sellers of much the same thing, forum posts, reviews, and suggested fixes to navigate round the poor quality of these types of trailers. So I thought I was prepared for the worst, but all I can say is BLIMEY! Seldom have I seen such a poorly made product - it's a kind of 70's Pifco torch standard for bikes. The much maligned quick releases are an utter joke. How they meet any kind of European safety standard is beyond me. Simply put, they are unusable.

The metal frame parts don't align at the mounts, the frame is full of grit and metal filings left over from the weld grinding process, the bag smells gaggingly bad, and the welds look like the bloke who did them learnt to weld that morning.

On the positive side the back wheel is good enough considering the price, the parts are all there as described, and with a good deal of making good I anticipate many a useful journey with my new trailer. Once it's had a good clean, the bag's had a good airing, I source a replacement QR, straighten out the mounting arms, drill out the rivets on the uprights and fit new bolts, buy a faster rolling tyre, and dismantle the hub and relube the bearings it should be good to go.

So a recommended buy if you know what you're getting into and are happy to do a bit of mechanicing, but you'll be taking an unnecessary risk if you choose to use the supplied QRs.

4.0 out of 5 stars the skewers, 22 Sep 2013
I dont have the trailer from this particular seller, but one clearly from the same manufacturer in China. Yes the skewers are pretty poor. BUT I made my own QR skewer from 5M threaded high tensile steel rod/stud ( very cheap and easy to get hold off ) & another of the skewers got from ebay for 15. I needed 2 of the screw non lever ends, tossed the lever section away. I then filed down one of the screw ends on either side so that I could use a spanner to tigthen. This takes a bit of time and care. This Works a treat. Just as a precaution I used longer rods than necessary and put lock nuts on the ends. SO now an endless supply of QR skewers for this trailer.

I went on a short camping holiday with my trailer, prob about 20 kg max. The trailer behaved well. yes cheap and nasty, poor paint and crude welding, but it works ok

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy engineering, 5 Sep 2013
Came from Germany but was probably made in China. I'm not sure what I expected for just 40 and I think I got it. The general build quality is ok but the quick release skewers (as mentioned in previous reviews) are dreadful - I threw mine away. Also the little mudguard fro the back wheel wouldn't sit properly over the wheel, there were dents in it, the rear reflector was scratched and the wheel doesn't sit perfectly in alignment on the frame. If this proves useful then I will pay the money and get a decent trailer in future (not this one).

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 28 July 2013
Agree with the other review. The quick release is absolutely rubbish and I am convinced that it has been manufactured incorrectly so that the mechanism can't cam against the dropout. However, for a tenner you can buy a CT skewer that seems to work. Other than that the buckles on the bag are brittle. Hopefully with this better skewer I will actually be able to take it out for a ride soon...

The seller did respond quickly but just sent me another skewer that didn't work either.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great build trailer shame about the fastener, 26 Jun 2013
what is a car without wheels or a caravan without being fastened to a car? well a similar thing can be said for this trailer.
I like the build quility of the chassis and the bag is great even the wheel with the mini mudguard.
The quick release skewer and the lugs that screw onto your wheel hub thread are useless the thread is far too sloppy for all 3 of my bikes all different brands 1 hard tail and 2 dual suspension. the quick release skewer is so slack the wheel just comes off. I've contacted the seller who hasn't responded, also it was from Germany there was no talk of that on this UK website, if the fastening to the bike was proper it would be a good product