Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 March 2013
From Bon Jovi, I gave up expecting another I'll Be There For You, Never Say Goodbye, Always. I stopped hoping for another Living On A Prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Bad Medicine. I lost the faith that they would give another Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, Keep The Faith for these three are my best Bon Jovi albums ever.

But I had to accept the fact that like Metallica, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, U2 and other greatest bands of the same time, Bon Jovi has something in them that has kept their mighty success until today. The truth is they have diverted from what they were. I don't know how to put it. Maybe it's to pull new generation of fans or to fit into new generation of music. Whatever, three decades and 100,000,000 fans can never be wrong.

I downloaded 'Because We Can' just to taste the album days ago and I can imagine the crowds going mad singing the anthem, 'I don't wanna be another wave in the ocean, I am a rock not just another grain of sand ...' in the Hyde Park this summer. That's where I am planning to go to see the band for the second time. The art on the cover is also very appealing that I could not stop myself from pre-ordering the album. The only thing I complain about it is that the cover could have been better if lyrics and other detailed production information were added rather than just being a foldout page with just some art and little information. I would enjoy even more by holding the cover in my hand and going through page by page with the music.

Not long since I received my CD and 'That's What The Water Made Me', 'Army Of One', 'Room At The End Of The World', 'The Fighter', the title song have already become my favourites. There are 4 songs added to the standard 12 in the deluxe version. The last one being 'Every Road Leads Home To You' from Richie Sambora's beautiful solo album Aftermath Of The Lowdown which was released only last year. As in every Bon Jovi album, Richie's background singing adds extra wonderfulness.

People either love Bon Jovi or hate Bon Jovi. Irrespective of that big Metallica's poster hanging on my wall in my teens that said 'Kill Bon Jovi', I have always followed the band and adored them from the start. For their music and their glamour. Except for 'Have A Nice Day' and 'Lost Highway' which still disappoint me a little apart from couple of songs in them. Other than that, the late albums 'Bounce' and 'The Circle' are the reason I could easily and happily embrace 'What About Now'. I am rocking.

Bon Jovi forever ;-)
Rock 'N' Roll \,,/,
1010 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2013
i have reviewed a few releases from BJ in the last 10 years and before getting into the review wanted to mention that this is their first release since These Days which i didn't actually purchase on the release date. I was on holiday and had the Amazon box waiting for me when i returned a week after the release. Reason for mentioning this is that I have always formed my own opinions before reading press reviews etc. On this occasion I read some online reviews and the sentiment were pretty negative.

As an overview this is a very good album by BJ which is full of songs which are quite different compared to each other and also represent who they are today and what they think music is in essence. It would have been an embarrassment if they churned out SWW or New Jersey as they are now in their 50's. Time moves on, lives change, experiences shape who we are and this is also reflected in their music. The maturity of the music is what stands out for me. This is not stadium-friendly -punch-your-fists-in-the-air-hard-rock. But this is a selection of enjoyable songs which are sitting very happily on my iphone, CD player and car.

A measure of a good release is how many times you listen to an album end to end without skipping tracks. There have been very few releases by BJ since These Days which have afforded this pleasure (with the exception of Have A Nice Day and to a certain extent Lost Highway).

The downsides to the release is by far the very cheap, look and feel to the CD product itself. As many BJ songs are based on the story telling it's a disappointment to find no lyrics, songwriting credits or photographs either - but yes it is a very cool album artwork cover for sure. The lyrical content does at times feel weak and rushed in some songs where the impression of laziness appears.

Because We Can: radio friendly and easy to listen to. The next gen of BJ fans such as my 7 yr old and son and 4 yr old daughter are jumping around to this - so should be happy with that! 3/5
I'm With you: amazing sound and brilliant structure - quite dark and serious subject matter. Also has a red hot scorcher of a guitar from Master Sambora. My favourite song 5+/5
What About Now: a song which has the potential to be better lyrically. Again quite simple in nature and could have been better with more effort on lyrics and solo. Also feels a bit short 3/5
Pictures Of You: a song again which is off the beaten BJ track but the lyrics and atmosphere have me on the hook. My daughter also likes me singing it to her 5/5
Amen: this is unplugged at it's best and the acoustic stringing of Master Sambora bring this to life with some pretty epic vocal efforts from Jon 4/5
That's What The Water Made Me: it's a reasonable song with a decent up-tempo which lacks in many of the other songs but feel the repetitive nature will soon get the skip treatment 3/5
Whats Left Of Me: would badge this with a new jersey Springsteen feeling and something which is a natural fit with Lost Highway. It has a hook and some decent lyrics 4/5
Army Of One: Thumbs up for taking a risk on format of song and structure. I like the marching nature of the song and the chanting with the lyrics and again Master Sambora shines with his solo 5/5
Thick As Thieves: A pretty good power ballad which is what these guys have shyed away from for quite a while. Some questionable lyrics about an electric chair for robbing a bank though!? 4/5
Beautiful World: A typical up-tempo track which shows they can roll out a rocker when they want to and without being over the top, it it the best up-tempo track on the album 5/5
Room At The End Of The World: wow what more can I say! Another off the grid song with depth, emotion, and some great subtle guitaring from Master Sambo 5/5
The Fighter: acoustic end to the standard album and would rather have finished with "Room" personally as this feels a little empty and the album ends slightly too flat 3/5

BONUS
With These Two Hands: WTF is this not on the standard album!? It has great tempo and an addictive riff which I think is first class. Very worthy of being in the album and could see this working live 5/5
Not Running Anymore: gets skip treatment after listening to "with these 2 hands". It's a JBJ song and reminisce of songs from Destination Anywhere. A decent song yes but feels out of place 3.5/5
Old Habits Die Hard: by now the spark and charm of the album ended 2 songs ago and this doesn't do anything for me. Doesn't get any airplay 1/5
Every Road: Master Sambora showcasing how fine his album Aftermath Of The Lowdown was. Nice to give it some time on the BJ album but if you know your music you will have this already 5/5

Final words from me on this are that I would like to have seen Richie flex his riffing and solo muscles further on the album. I think there are enough songs which lend themselves to his high emotional style of solo's and i was wishing some of the solo's went longer. But as a now 40 year old fan listening for 27 year I should be pretty grateful to say they are still making the music I enjoy and have been able to pass on to my kids who both were excited to hear the album - and even more so with Richie's album last year. So overall, all is good with Bon Jovi and this is a good album full of decent music. Enjoy!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 July 2013
I don't like to have to rate a Bon Jovi album three stars, but there is no way I could give 'What About Now' five.

You have to hand it to them, the band still manages to achieve the success, following, and record sales that a lot of other rock bands to emerge from the 1980s can only touch upon. But the band has always evolved with their music, as early as 1992 in fact with 'Keep The Faith', a strong album which had more in common with U2's music, not a bad thing - I like U2. They have to evolve to stay relevant, and I appreciate that, but when this album was billed as 'a return to form' - that is not true. Their last great album was 2005's 'Have A Nice Day', but I did like their subsequent releases, in particular - 'The Circle'.

The target audience for 'What About Now' is not the audience that bought their early albums, and I would put into the easy listening/country market. Songs like 'Because We Can' are Bon Jovi anthems that we've heard before, but it's still a decent song, positive and uplifting, and was in fact the reason I was looking forward to hearing the whole release.

Whilst there are other standouts to be found here, 'Pictures of You' is one of the best on the album, closely followed by the beautiful 'I'm With You', and 'Amen' is a nice tribute to 'Hallelujah'. However, much of the other songs do sound a lot like background music and are largely forgettable, something that I find rare for a Bon Jovi album. But, there is enough decent music here to make me recommend it and safely say that is good, but not essential. If you are new to Bon Jovi's music, you should start off with their 80s' masterpieces and progress to excellent later albums like 'These Days'. 'What About Now' has it's good songs, but it's still one of their less appealing albums to date. Bon Jovi are better than this, and as such have made far greater albums.
on 16 June 2013
I don't know what made Bon Jovi such a bore the last years, apparently money and richeness isn't as funny as we mortals think?
Gone is the fun of the 80s. When grunge took out the fun of rock and roll, bon jovi were the last ones standing and having a blast, unfortunately, one decade later they fell pray to a world in crisis.
The songs are not entirely bad but, no fun and no bon jovi quality.
I was stupid enough to buy the extended delux version, more depressing songs for a few more bucks...
As stated in the header, if you thought that The circle and Bounce were redundant, listen to What about now and you will see that you were wrong.
What about now? Because we can, yes now do so...
What s left of me? Not much these days
Beautiful world? Now start to live in it
With these two hands? You've used them to craft better things...
Old habits die hard ? Such a shame the habit to rock did...

If you have the urge to own all bon jovi records, wait a year and buy it for 0.01 pound and you might get value for money.
I wish I could be more positive but, sorry it is not possible...
Why 2 stars?
One, it is bon jovi who have given us slippery, new jersey, and the magnificent young guns soundtrack, etc...
Star number two: I for one am mot going to blame them for trying, only next time, I do hope they try harder...

Cheers
on 3 May 2013
I've been a Bon Jovi fan since Slippery when Wet, and have seen them in concert many times. Having been increasingly disappointed by their album releases sine Crush, this was the first album I seriously considered not buying.

I was lucky enough to win tickets to see the band at the BBC where they performed songs from the new album and was won over.

There is nothing surprising on this album. Songs about working class heroes facing hard times and not giving up, feel good rock and the obligitory ballads.

For me the stand out song is "Amen", Jon's tribute to Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah.

There's a new guitar sound which creeps into a few songs and doesn't feel like it belongs there.

Overall, it'll get a few plays and completes the album collection, but won't have the longevity of Slippery or New Jersey.

Nostalgia for the 80's keeps me loving the band, but every album feels like its been thrown together and the lyrics produced by some Bon Jovi lyric generator software.
VINE VOICEon 16 March 2013
Having read most of the reviews for this album I have to say I agree with most,this is not a great album,I am slightly dissapointed but even Bon Jovi's weaker songs arent that bad.As stated Jon is now 51 and you can't expect them to sound the same as they did in the 80's It's the slower tracks I prefer AMEN,THE FIGHTER and ARMY OF ONE.The single BECAUSE WE CAN grows and will sit nicely along side there big hits.
WHAT ABOUT NOW nearly thirty years of recording and touring and still a great band,perhaps we expect to much but I'm very glad they are still entertaining us and every album cannot be perfect.Not sure about this one time will tell.

Ihave to say I am not keen on the packaging,having purchased the Deluxe edition I was hoping to get lyrics etc,it@s minimal and flimsy.

*Thought I would add that I have played the album a few more times and I have to say I LOVE IT.
on 23 March 2013
First time I saw BJ was on the 7800 tour at the Dominion on Tottenham Court Road (£3.50!). A great gig, made even better by Jon improvising on an acoustic when the sound went.

Time has moved on and music changes. I certainly do not expect the band to be turning out Runaway, Hardest Part is the Night, Wild in the Streets, or Bad Medicine, any more. But I do think that they have lost their way with this album.

This is simply bland. Coffee house music for non-fat latte drinkers. The production is limp and smothers any life that may have beeen in the songs. Not that there was much life in the first place, though, as this collection is devoid of anything approaching a hook that gnaws away at your brain. Even The Circle had some decent melodies, despite washed out production. This, though, is a demoralising experience for someone who has been a devotee of the band for almost 30 years. The songs are uninspiring musically and lyrically, with there being little to speak of in the way of musicianship. I can't bring myself to give it 1 star at it's BJ, after all, but it is by a long way their least successful album, to these ears at least.

I've grown up with BJ. KTF and These Days were a band reaching maturity as I was; These Days is one of the finest rock albums ever and certainly their best. There were still highlights to come; It's My Life, Undivided, Have a Nice Day (the album - underrated, I feel, and Dirty Little Secret must be the finest bonus track I have heard). Lost Highway was not to my taste but everyone needs to experiment. I don't own them and they are free to record the music they see fit, but I can't shake the idea that JBJ has taken the concept of his 'corporation' too far. It seems as if the other three are on a tight leash musically and, as they know which side their bread is buttered, they go along with it. I was listening to Dry County the other day and caught myself thinking how much Richie appears to be shackled today compared to then. He is capable of so much more.

I suspect that my journey with BJ has come to an end because I don't see JBJ wanting to reconnect with the musical style of KTF or TD. Proper adult music, not hair metal, that reflects the times in which we live. This album, however, represents an artist and his backing band grown stale.

I never thought I would see the day when BJ were old, not Just Older...
88 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 June 2013
The darlings of 80's melodic power rock and soft rock hooks, Bon Jovi are one of the few bands who made it through the ensuing decade and changing musical fashions to stay on the arena tour circuit and produce further platinum selling albums.

And still do.

But since 1992's Keep the Faith, where a slight change of direction and more mature song writing led to their best album to date, it's been a case of variations on a theme and the added ingredient of Jon Bon Jovi trying to be Bruce Springsteen Lite.

Later albums have therefore fallen between two stools but with Platinum or Gold certification still guaranteed, based on the commercial appeal of the band and their previous.

Truth be told, What About Now is another release that finds itself between those two stools but this time it sits a little more comfortably between them.
And it's more of a Bon Jovi album than 2007's Lost Highway and a better album than 2009's offering, The Circle (perhaps the very definition of Bon Jovi's post-80's hit and miss musicality).

The irony however is while the melodic rock air-punching anthems will make an impression on the fan-base that like their Bon Jovi fix to come from the Slippery When Wet mould, the rest of us will appreciate the songs that break that mould.

The former is best exemplified by Because We Can, the big-sound and big-beat opener.
It's not a bad song, but from the vocal intro line of "I don't wanna be another wave in the ocean; I am a rock not just another grain of sand..." you know exactly what's coming.
The same could be said of the chest-thumping That's What the Water Made Me.

But at the opposite end of the musical spectrum (well, in Bon Jovi terms) there's the mid-tempo I'm With You, (reminiscent of a heavier, early-period Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers), the light and loose heavy country rock and roll of What's Left Of Me and a strong title track, albeit one that returns us to the Man Who Would Be Springsteen remarks.

But the usual Bon Jovi trademarks are also the usual Bon Jovi pitfalls - tracks that are more about the sound than the song, some that are too similar and a few songs that take themselves far too seriously.

Much like the half dozen albums before it, Bon Jovi's 2013 release offers a few songs that could be lifted by fans and added to their iPod's 'Best Of Bon Jovi' playlist.
The bonus is you get a couple of extra choices on What About Now.

But what about the future?
Will Bon Jovi ever do an album that is strong from start to finish and isn't based predominately around the melodic rock cookie cutter template?

Their hard core fans believe they already have, and do, every three or four years.
The rest of us can only Keep The Faith.
on 10 April 2013
Bon Jovi first studio album since 2009's 'The Circle', 'What About Now' marks the bands third No1 studio album in a row in their native USA. However, it's dropped off the charts very quickly.

'What About Now' is the most tedious of all Bon Jovi's albums. The last really good album 2005's 'Have A Nice Day' album which had attitude. 8 year on, 'What About Now' is a tiring album by a band that sounds like they should be hanging up their instruments and going to a retirement homw. The lead-single 'Because We Can' is the only really up-tempo 'fun track'. I don't actually like it because its annoying but catchy. The second track, even though I liked it, was a rip-off of Green Days' 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams'. The only other song that really stands out is 'Amen' which is actually a very fresh song for them. It's a ballad but not like their previous power ballad. It breaks the rules and is unexpected. Unfortunately, the rest of the album, with the except of Jon Bon Jovi two solo songs (which are worthy of Bob Dylan), sound identical. Its as if Coldplay fired their lead singer and stuck Jon Bon Jovi behind the microphone. If you like Coldplay then, fair enough, I don't.

When comparing this to Richie Sambora's solo effort 'Aftermath of the Lowdown', this is a boring album. Sambora, who's writing is restricted to only 5 songs (and it shows. There's stories that Sambora, keyboardist David Bryan and drummer don't appear on all of the album and that it was a solo record. Having listen to this it doesn't sound like a Bon Jovi album at all.

The award for most awkward track goes to 'Army Of One'. Desmond Child can't rescue this pile of dung. Cheesy lyrics, cheesy chorus. Awful.

May advice is Jon and Co should start making fun records. The records they made from 1984-2002.
on 23 December 2014
I came a bit late to this Bon Jovi album,but that's not unusual as I very rarely buy albums as soon as they come out anyway.
The first track 'Because We Can' is one of these great sing along songs that Bon Jovi do so well and a joint favourite for my top spot along with the foot tapping 'What's Left Of Me'........I defy you not to sing along with this cracker!!!
Overall,John's voice still sounds great to me and Richie's guitar playing is first rate and this clearly shows on the vast majority of tunes on this beautiful album,I think all the tracks on here ooze real class.
It is in a similar mould to a few previous Bon Jovi albums but that's what the majority of older fans want to hear I believe.
It evident that Bon Jovi are like a fine whiskey and are just getting better with age and maturity.
Cheers guys......until the next one.