Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 April 2013
Recorded with a Symphony Orchestra, this album has a timeless quality though is less 'pop' than her previous albums.

Sarah's breathy vocals remain the centre piece of her sound though the usual modern instrumental backing is relegated to the background in favour of the orchestral sounds, especially the string section. The arrangements are mainly sparse and atmospheric giving the album an air of melancholy and sense of drama. Stand out tracks include; 'I Awake', 'God-Fearing', and 'Cast The Net'. The album flows well and feels consistently like a whole piece of work, more so than her previous three studio albums did, though they are also all great albums in their own right.

This album is not likely to expand Sarah Blasko's shamefully small UK following and will possibly disappoint fans of her previous work due to it's overall laid back feel and less-modern sound. Vocally and lyrically it represents Sarah at her best, though some may feel it is a sideways step rather than a leap forward. In my opinion 'I Awake' is Sarah's finest album to date as I like to see Singers progressing via experimentation with different soundscapes rather than doing more of the same thing; the sound of a singer & songwriter growing and expanding.

It's good to finally see a UK release for this outstanding album, even though it has been available in Australia for around 8 Months!
on 14 May 2013
I bought the album after attending Sarah Blasko's concert at the Barbican. She performed 'Your oyster, your pearl' live with only her own simple piano accompaniment, there was nowhere for her voice to hide; brilliant and deeply moving. I have enjoyed repeated listening to the album. Her voice brings to mind a cross between Katie Mellua and Bats for Lashes; the full orchestral backing adds complexity. Loved the Bulgarian harmonies on track 3, reminded me of 'Les Voix Bulgares' album which came out a few years ago
on 12 May 2013
I stumbled across the track 'an arrow' by chance, listened to it once and it stayed in my mind after a couple more plays I really liked it so I decided to buy 'I awake' had the cd about a week now and I can honestly say I really love it, thought provoking lyrics and haunting melodies, she has a distinct gentle voice, stand out tracks- god fearing, an arrow, illusory light, in fact probably the first 9 or 10 tracks, then it gets a bit weaker, but all in all well worth buying, a beautiful piece of music.
on 6 October 2014