on 17 March 2013
NOTE: my review is regarding the colour and design only - not its function as a game controller, which I'm sure is fine.

I was really excited to pre-order and couldn't wait to receive this LE GOLD GoW controller. I'm a big fan of the GoW game franchise, and the product description and picture definitely gave the impression that the controller would be painted in shiny, metallic gold, with the Omega sign on one side and Kratos' menacing face on the other. Perfect, right?

WRONG! It turns out the controller is a matte custard colour - not shiny, not metallic, and certainly NOT GOLD! It's not even yellow - just a dull, light cappuccino, and although the description doesn't actually refer to a shiny or glossy surface, that is clearly the impression one gets from the word GOLD and the way the light reflection is simulated in the product pictures. The product pictures are deceptive, and so is the product description. This dull, matte colour does not reflect any light whatsoever, unlike the photo on this page, and there is no way for anyone anywhere to mistake this for gold or brass or anything similar. That would be like calling the colour of a pink flamingo Ferrarri red! Not even close.

I'm not sure if I've been sent a dud - I highly doubt it, but be aware - if you're a GoW collector and completist, then you might be interested in this, but if you're lured in by the promised Gold, there ain't none in them thar controllers.

Dear Amazon, if there is a real Golden version of this controller, and this is some prototype I was sent in error, please correct the mistake and send me the proper one, otherwise, don't call it Gold when it's custard.
on 31 March 2013
I was actually very pleased that the controller isn't the tacky shiny gold colour. It's matte and more of a dark creamy colour, very unusual and goes with the Kratos design better. Nice looking Dualshock. Recommended
on 18 March 2013
When this LE GOW "GOLD" controller appeared on Amazon my sister immediately told me and she was keen to buy this for me to add to my God of War collection (I already had a gold controller which has a glossy gold paint look).

Now I receive this product on release day and to my surprise and I believe many others this was definitely not gold. The design shown on the pictures is exactly the same, it is indeed an official controller and somewhat lighter than the original black DualShock 3. But the main thing which attracted me was the “GOLD”, it’s more like a pasty yellow (custard, mustard, dull colour, matt not glossy etc).

Overall the functionality is superb as I used it to play the whole of GOW and online (as well as some COD) without any delay or problems. Yes I was upset, but since it is an official limited edition controller and the fact it’s GOW kept me from contacting Amazon and complaining. However the pictures and description are extremely misleading and I would like to warn buyers in advance don’t buy thinking it is gold as it is not. Buy only to add to collection and if you want a built skin case of GOW.
on 3 January 2014
This is probably the best looking official sony camo for a ps3 controller out there.I was looking for a different one than just a plain different colour than black and I bumped into this one ! The quality is top notch ! Don't hesitate on this one !
on 22 April 2013
This is a great addition to the range of Sony PS3 controllers available. This certainly has the wow-factor to it and will certainly catch the attention of your friends when you use it during game-play. It functions perfectly as a controller for the PS3 system, no new changes (weight, battery life etc) have been made so it should feel as comfortable as other PS3 controller.

As others have stated, the 'gold' colouring is matte style rather than the shiny gold as shown in the product image, I would best describe it as a pale yellow-sand colour. However it's an original design (or even a collectible if you don't plan on opening the box) with some nice detail.
on 6 December 2013
I got this for my boyfriend for his birthday. He loved the previous games and adding this controller to the mix was a good idea. Recommended!
on 2 October 2013
It's most definitely not gold colored, but if you're a big God of War fan as I am, you're going to love it. Despite not being gold, the color is very nice while not being too flashy(although I wouldn't mind "too flashy" as that's why I was looking for a gold controller in the first place) and the GoW logo is very neat looking with the d-pad. Kratos' face on the opposite side also looks really cool. You appreciate the look of it more in person than you would in the pictures.
on 20 August 2013
I use it all the time it's great quality and really good looking, I love it !!!! The beest ps3 controller ever
on 28 March 2013
this controller is amazing! ...once you get used to the brown mustard/yellow, or khaki, color. I was expecting shiny gold like in the picture! other than this, its great. don't use the wireless keypad attachment! it scratches up any dualshock 3 you put it on! after a few months of taking it on and off you will start to notice. especially across the SONY logo.
on 5 February 2016
Not sure if it is a faulty controller but it has completely stopped charging so is now useless, was surprised as all my other original sony ps3 controllers are still charging fine and they are 3 years old its only due to wear and tear that I brought a new one,