5.0 out of 5 stars worth the effort for sure
Published on 11 Jan. 2003 by Mr. John L. Gates

3.0 out of 5 stars He's done better
I bought this having read and enjoyed The Art Of Falling Apart by the same author. This has many similarities, both in style and content, but my enjoyment was spoiled by a couple of factors. Firstly the chief protagonist, Daniel, is a major pain in the butt and would have been lucky to survive a week in his job, let alone be considered for a partnership. The same goes...
Published 18 months ago by philp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the effort for sure, 11 Jan. 2003
Mr. John L. Gates "John" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Paperback)
Having read and really enjoyed The Art Of Falling Apart, I took little time to get hold of Mark's next book, and wasted no time in getting stuck in. Let's get this straight right now, the main character, Daniel Tate, is not someone who really evokes sympathy straight off. He's a lawyer for one. However, it is pretty clear from the start that he is out of control from the start, and what the book does is basically shows how he gets pushed to and beyond his limit, and what happens next. Your empathy for the character should grow with time, which I guess is what is supposed to happen in any book, and watch out for the twist near the end. I will not believe anyone who says they saw it coming!
Read the first book, went to Las Vegas. Read the second book, going to.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally engrossing read, 29 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Paperback)
Dawson's second book is a pure pleasure to read, I was the most unsociable person for three days, I truly couldn't put it down! It's fast paced and gives intriguing insight into the bizarre world of celebrity which provides the backdrop to the central character's demise. Whatever you think of Daniel Tate the raw emotion that goes hand-in-hand with the actress ex-girlfriend evokes real sympathy. I'd highly recommend this thoroughly enjoying read, can't wait for his next book...

5.0 out of 5 stars A more-ish concoction, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Kindle Edition)
The world of City lawyers and fading rock stars collide in this novel, but it's the lives of the people behind the business suits and leather jackets that makes the book so compelling. You can't help but pull for the odd couple at the centre of the story and Dawson's flowing prose style makes it darn near unputdownable.

Altogether, it's a heady cocktail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subpoena Colada, 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Kindle Edition)
Easily Dawson's best novel (to date) and one of the best satires of early 90's culture that I have read. The plot follows our hero as he drinks and takes drugs in early 00s London until it all gets a bit too much for him. The novel wears its decade visibly but that's not a bad thing. It is a book the lacerates the z-list culture that is still too prevalent today. It is also a book about a man whose life has crumbled apart, and the reader navigates through a series of red herrings before at last you discover the real, and heartbreaking, reason for his predicament.
In the future I'd love Dawson to write something medieval with knights in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go on, treat yourself..., 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Kindle Edition)
Daniel Tate is a lawyer working for celebrity clients. He's well paid and has a nice place. Unfortunately for him, he's just been dumped by his girlfriend (for a vapid American soap star) and is struggling at work.

This novel is a real romp. It's part funny and part sad as Daniel struggles through the week from hell. It's not difficult to empathise with him - the break-up has caused most of his problems, but things aren't made any easier by the behaviour of his client and an outrageously Machiavellian rival for a promotion at work.

It's also great value! Highly recommended. Go on, treat yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Kindle Edition)
I've read and enjoyed Dawson's other books, and found this one a refreshing change of pace from the gripping and oppressive Black Mile. Daniel Tate works as a lawyer in a West End celebrity practice but his life is slowly going to the dogs. His girlfriend has left him, he is doing badly and work and his client - the only case he has, and the only thing that can rehabilitate him in the eyes of the partners at work - is going off the rails at about the same pace that he is. The two of them come together and try to make sense of the chaos in their respective lives, the job not made any easier when a murder enquiry threatens to implicate one of them.

The writing is easy to read, with a series of very short chapters whizzing by without me even noticing it. It's a sensitive book, with stretches of beautiful writing when Daniel thinks about what he has lost. It also has its visceral moments, and the descent into drink and drugs is handled with a sure touch. It seems to be very authentic.
I would recommend this to people who want a light and fun read, something that tackles serious subjects and isn't afraid of doing so, but never in a way that is heavy-handed. I finished the book very quickly, which is another indication of how much fun I had with it.

A very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subpoena superb., 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Kindle Edition)
'My ex-girlfriend hates me. My ex-client might be a murderer. My best friend has betrayed me. I'm going to lose my job... I have no money and it's just a matter of time before the bank repossesses a flat I can no longer afford.'
Poor Danny - sorry, Daniel - once a high flying lawyer and only a few days on from his expectation of becoming a partner in the prestigious firm of solicitors catering for the media famous and celebrity has beens. But this is not a book to make you cry or even feel sorry for our main protagonist. Instead it is full of black humour, of youthful pride and over indulgence written in a sharp, snappy style to suit the storyline.
I first read this book as a paperback well over a decade ago, drawn to it by the glowing cover and brilliant title. It did not disappoint. But it is only on Kindle that I rediscovered the talented Mark Dawson and, after enjoying several of his other more recent titles, decided to reprise Subpoena Colada. How glad I am that I did. Despite the passage of time, this book remains as sparkling a satire as ever losing nothing with the changing decades.
Go read - and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dawson strikes again, 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the Black Mile so much, I thought I would read another Dawson straight away. I absolutely loved it. A completely different story, and setting, but equally well crafted plotline and characters. If you like a good read, you are going to love this one. I can't wait to see more Dawson published. He's a well kept secret I can't help sharing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motion for discovery., 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Paperback)
Having read the author's other novels, once I saw the title of this one I just had to give it a go. To be honest it took a while to into, but it was worth persevering with, because by the time I was quarter of the way through I really wanted to find out what was next, and it got pretty hard to put down.

Dawson writes from the perspective of Daniel, a hard working lawyer who struggles with the end of his relationship to a glamorous model while his current case seems to be faltering badly. He's not an instantly likeable character, but it wasn't long before I was rooting for him.

Dawson has a flair for making even the minor characters in his books interesting enough to want to follow, and as I became involved with the characters and followed their story till the end, and I was not disappointed. Recommended. And I do love that title.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Subpoena Colada (Kindle Edition)
This is a gripping look into an urban scene that's in the past but at the same time hasn't really changed at all. Halfway through the boook I had to remind myself that I was reading a novel rather than a transcription. Dawson captures the voice of Daniel Tate so well that it would be easy to be fooled. I suppose I shouldn't be too shocked - Dawson is the author who made me love a novel way out of my normal zone with The Art of Falling Apart.

Dawson's characters are believable and his London of lawyers and musicians rings completely true. I'm surprised that this novel hasn't received better press; I hadn't even heard of it until Amazon recommended it. Supboena Colada is a very worthy follow-up to his excellent first, and I'll look out for him in future.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›