Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.22

on 29 July 2014
This is more of a written voxophone recording than an actual book - it tells the story of how Comstock's Reeducation Centre came to exist via a transcript of interviews conducted between a captured Daisy Fitzroy and Dr Pinchot. There's some new background info on Columbia, but no revelations - worth the kindle price for sure (if you'd rather the hardcover version, it's still available on Irrational Games' store for a mere $100), and I honestly wish there were more in depth books of this kind for Bioshock Infinite - we have Bioshock: Rapture, but Mind in Revolt is the only piece of Infinite fiction I've found. Giving it four stars; it's very short, but still a nice item for the avid fan, and helps fill in some of Daisy's background and personality.
on 28 February 2014
Told through a series of archaic, well written diary entries and interview transcripts, the book chronicles the time spent between captured anarchist Daisy Fitzroy and Dr. Pinchot, a senior staff member at what is best described as a lunatic asylum in Columbia. Riddled with subtle tidbits of lore and gushing with political undertones from both lead characters, the book does an excellent job at keeping the reader ensnared as the story deepens and the stakes of Daisy's life raise. While only a short novella, the book does a profound job of capturing the essence of Fitzroy seen throughout the events of Bioshock Infinite. She is witty and likeable with a true way of words and whilst her backstory is touched on at numerous points in the tale, there is still enough ambiguity so as not to confuse the reader, but to enthral them.
Generally, an excellent read for any avid fan of the series, worth the price if so, but if you're new to the games, this isn't really your thing.
on 9 August 2013
a great tie in to the game and give you some substance into the psychological aide of the enhabitents of columbia, iloved this so much and as its split up into very small 'chapters' its nice to just rwad a little everyday
on 16 April 2014
The book adds another layer and deeper characterization to the people who populate the Bioshock Infinite story line. It humanizes and magnifies their emotional realism. Top notch. I love to see video games evolve and branch
out into other mediums ever growing in depth and scope as they go, its very organic and should be encouraged as much as possible. Kudos.
on 3 April 2013
As a piece of internal lore Mind in Revolt is intriguing. It shows us more of Daisy Fitzroy and her plight, but sadly doesn't enlighten the reader too much and fails to flesh out a character who in the overall game is overlooked. It's well written for what it is, but what it is feels like omitted voxophone recordings, not its own story.
on 30 May 2013
I really enjoyed playing Bioshock Infinity on my PC and upon completing it I realised that I wanted to know more about the world in which it was set. Therefore, when I noticed that the short story, "Mind in Revolt" was going to be made available I jumped at the chance to pick it up and further immerse myself in the world of Columbia.

The basic premise of the story is that it helps expand upon the conflict witnessed within the game between two factions known as the Founders and the Vox Populi. The story takes place prior to the events of the game and is told in the form of an audio transcript between a doctor and his patient/prisoner, the leader of the Vox Populi, Daisy Fitzroy.

Whilst I found this to be an interesting look at Daisy Fitzroy herself, it didn't really do that much to enhance the readers knowledge of who she actually was. Even with the rather clever format and reasonable writing the short length and rather weak characters limited what could be accomplished. This meant that the entire thing felt like a bit of let-down and I can't see it working as a hook to get someone interested in playing the game which is a shame.

Overall, whilst I did appreciate the journey back into the world of Columbia, it just didn't capture my interest of imagination as much as I hoped it would. Personally, it felt to me that the entire story was just a collection of voxophone recordings that they had decided to omit from the game. To be honest, I find it hard to recommend the book on its own merits and it is probably something that only hardened Bioshock fans would want to read.
on 25 March 2013
Being a HUGE fan of the Bioshock games I had to read this. Launch day for infinite is tomorrow as I write this. So I thought I'd buy and read this, the evening before the day that I step into a beautiful new world, meet Elizabeth, and begin a great adventure.
on 13 February 2013
Although short, this introduction to the world of Bioshock: Infinite, as well as the social structures and standards in the year 1909 in its universe, is a fantastic piece that should be read by all enthusiasts waiting for the game to arrive on store shelves (or digital ones for that matter).

Do not let the brevity fool you, in the hands of someone less skilled, this short story would likely drag on for hundreds of pages only to arrive at a punchline which invalidated its length. The fact that the story is so short bodes well, as the writers were not interested in wasting your time, but simply orienting you into the world they have created as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The story provides an insight for the reader into the two factions that are vying for control of Columbia, information that is of crucial importance to the player come time to make their choice when they start playing the game.

The allegiance to Daisy Fitzroy is both made appealing and cautioned to the reader, as it is certainly not a simple and binary good or evil proposition for sure.

One thing is certain; if the story and the writing in the game are as good as they are in this publication, we may just be looking at one of the more important games of our generation.
on 12 April 2013
Although this novella is not an essential read to take before playing Bioshock Infinite since it doesn't involve Booker Dewitt and Elizabeth, "Mind in Revolt" offers however insightful details about Daisy Fitzroy, the anarchist leader of the Vox Populi movement, and the Columbia mentality that pervades the town, especially in its classes and racial issues. Indeed, this novella compiles all the interviews Doctor Pinchot did with Fitzroy in May 1909 and which he recorded on a voxophone.

In its writing, the novella contains concise but intense dialogues, actions indicators, along with a preface and postface informing about Doctor Pinchot's work. As such, it may take no more than thirty minutes of your time if you want to read Mind in Revolt and I do wonder if we will ever get to have an audiobook version of this novella.

In all, this very short read is a good treat that enriches your Bioshock Infinite experience.
on 16 May 2013
I bought this short novel because I plan on playing the full game and wanted backstory and this details both warring factions from infinite. It delves into the racism, devout religious beliefs and social Darwinism of Father Comstock's followers, but also the hypocrisy of the anarchists. This really interested me and I hope the game has more details in more depth on these opposing groups. I neglected to give a full 5 stars as this is short and a little expensive for only 30 pages of content, but I would recommend this to anyone who finds this side of the universe appealing and I'm sure will provide a better understanding of the on going struggles in Columbia in Bioshock:Infinite