Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

Asley Monroe is a member of the Pistol Annies. She is a talented songwriter. She has a voice which reminds me a little of Loretta Lynn and Dolly parton. She can sing with gusto and sensitivity. She has a great voice. This album has been a long time coming and is well worth the wait. It is beautifully produced by Vince Gill. It respects the traditions of country music with its fiddles whilst being reamining modern as opposed to retro. There is a great duet with Blake Shhelton "You Ain't Dolly". There is the sad, the honky tonk and the amusing. The qulaity of the songs throughout is high so I am not going to pick out any. It is simply a superb modern country album which is country. If you like Sunny Sweeney or the PIstol Annies and or appreciate the music of Loretta Lynn or Dolly Parton, you will enjoy this. This is great country music. Highly recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Singer songwriter Ashley Monroe, form Knoxville, Tennessee gives us here her second studio album, and a brilliant one it is. I think when her debut album was first released it started off as a whimper more than a bang, and then gradually grew. With this album though the public and critics were ready to take notice, and if you have got or have heard the first album you will know why. Receiving a lot of acclaim this is great to listen to.

Listening to Ms Monroe is slightly reminiscent to listening to a young Dolly Parton, as she has that same twang in her voice, indeed if I remember rightly Dolly’s music has been a big influence on her. It is hard to believe that this little Country bombshell is still only in her late twenties, as some of the songs here and vocalisation sounds like it comes from someone who has lived a bit longer.

I will admit that I absolutely love Ashley’s debut album, but this album has a more refined polished feel to it, and everything gels together that little bit better. If you are into Country music and haven’t heard Ashley Monroe before then it is about time you did, because this girl is bound to be around for years to come.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Related to country luminaries, The Carter Family and Carl Smith, Ashley Monroe's sophomore album is a honky tonkin' affair full of melodic and literate songs. Produced by Vince Gill, the album features a crack band of Nashville sessionmen contributing Hammond B3, piano, fiddle, dobro, accordion, stand up bass and acoustic, electric and steel guitar. This is the modern sound of traditional country with Ashley's crystal voice sounding at times like a younger Dolly Parton.

She shares songwriting credits with such talents as Guy Clark, Jon Randall and Vince Gill to produce bittersweet, sentimental, amusing and angst ridden songs of heartache. It sounds as though she has packed more into her life than her twenty seven years could possibly contain.

On "Two Weeks Late" she is worried about the possibility of an unwanted pregnancy and the song is drenched with dobro and honky tonk piano:

"And my mother says looks like I've gained some weight.
Landlord's at the door, he says the rent can't wait,
But I'm a dollar short and two weeks late".

"The Morning After" is a song of lost innocence and she admits

"I don't recall what I was drinking
But after the third I was gone.
Seventeen and not really thinking".

But with "Weed Instead Of Roses" Monroe takes a more aggressive stance and wants to forsake candy, a card from Hallmark and sweet romance for weed and leather, whips, sexy underwear and whipped cream! But she returns to a state of wistful yearning with the beautiful ballad "She's Driving Me Out Of Your Mind" as she faces the reality of losing her man to another woman. The album ends with a spirited duet with Blake Shelton "You Ain't Dolly (And You Ain't Porter)" to lighten things up a little.

If you like your country music to be bland, safe and saccharine sweet then avoid this album at all costs. "Like A Rose" has superb musicianship, beautifully crafted songs of love, life, sorrow and regret and the gorgeous voice of one of country music's newest stars. She will be around for along time.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This album, produced by Vince Gill, sounds as near to country as you can expect to be recorded on a major label these days. It is officially Ashley's debut solo album, although an earlier album for another label was recorded and remains unreleased, while Ashley has also recorded two extremely successful albums as past of the Pistol Annies. Both of those albums are brilliant, but it appears that a lot of people bought them mainly because Miranda Lambert is also a member of the Pistol Annies. Can Ashley attract enough fans to buy her own music and keep her record label interested? I hope so, but while I love this album, I fear that it may be too country for contemporary American radio,

There are only nine tracks, but they are full of quality country music. I particalarly like the final track (You ain't Dolly / you ain't Porter). which is a great duet with Blake Shelton, but there are plenty of other excellent songs including the title track, Two weeks late and She's driving me out of your mind.

This is an outstanding album that needs the support of co country music fans everywhere to ensure that Adhley has an opportunity to record anonther album.
on 23 April 2013
Having heard Ashley Monroe a couple of times on the radio, I decided to buy this album on the strength of that. It was worth it. Based in the traditional mould, the album is a refreshing change from much of the music released today to a formula. She clearly has talent as a song writer as well as a singer, and I find myself playing this album repeatedly. Strongly recommended!
on 3 November 2013
I received the above CD within 2 days of receiving email that it had been posted as I always do from Amazon.
I had looked at Ashley singing some of the tracks on You Tube and that impressed me enough to buy it.
Along with the fact that I already had the Cd's of her as one of the 3 members of Pistol Annies.
It's just a personal opinion but to me she's the best member of the group.
I've listened to some of Miranda Lambert's songs on You Tube and on Amazon when you can hear a little of each song on an album and felt that most of what I was hearing was a little to heavy. Backing music I'm referring to.
The title track on this album '' Like a Rose '' is a beautiful song but so are all the others. Very country and western.
Tammy might be gone years ago and a lot of the other greats. Dolly is on a big tour at the moment appearing in the 02 in Dublin soon so country and western is still around.
And Ashley Monroe is certainly one great singer to keep it there.
And, mentioning Dolly, the last track on the CD, '' You ain't Dolly (and you ain't Porter) '' with Blake Shelton is very much a good country and western song in the style of Tammy Wynette with George Jones and all the other greats who did duets together now and again.
It's a little humourous and I think Dolly herself would enjoy it. I seen her in concert many years ago and she was a person who clearly could laugh at herself, making jokes on stage about all her wigs amongst other things.
Buy this if you like country music. If you don't you'll most likely enjoy it anyway. She's a lovely singer with a great voice.
I do hope there's more albums to follow.
And I also hope the rumours are not true that the group have broken up.
Ashley is great and Pistol Annies are too.
on 6 June 2014
This is the sophomore album by country musician and Pistol Annie, Ashley Monroe. While I am yet to listen to her debut album I have to tell you that Ashley Monroe is a "saviour" for traditional country music, especially since she is part of the mainstream. Not that I dislike modern country and country pop (Taylor Swift and Miranda Lambert are huge favourites of mine) I really enjoy and appreciate how Ashley has brought it back to the old school almost 70s form of country music. As well as being an increddible lyricist (including writting songs for many others including Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert), you can hear she has a large impact on the production of this album and the clear direction it's driven in.

My favourite songs are Like A Rose, You Got Me and She's Driving Me Out of Your Mind.
on 17 February 2015
An absolutely stunning album with no weak tracks and a number of modern classics including Like A Rose, Weed Instead Of Roses and She's Driving Me Out Of Your Mind. It is not simply about the music, as with so many truly greats it is also about the lyrics and on this showing Ashley Monroe is going to be one of the truly greats. Thanks to Bob Harris (How often do you hear that?) for featuring her on My Nashville. Shame her debut album of 2009 Satisfied appears to only be available in MP3 format.
on 11 April 2013
I never heard of Ashley Monroe until I saw a video clip on TV featuring "Like a Rose", a really great country song, then got the album, she is one of the best country singers I have heard in a long time, looking forward to more from this lady
on 15 May 2014
Best female country album I've heard in a long time. Great songs and what a beautiful voice Ashley has. Highly recommended.