Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 7 August 2014
Read most of it before in other books, didn't feel it was really original. Felt that this was written by someone that had read quite a few books and thought, I'll write one. I don't believe for one second that a lot of the behaviour by the Duke would have happened. She would have had her maid with her, not allowed to go in coaches on her own with a single man, even if he was a duke... I was also surprised to see a young lady that hadn't had her debut yet, attend a ball and went straight in to a waltz, I'm pretty certain that etiquette would not have allowed this. Even her nightgown I'm sure an unmarried lady wouldn't have worn the ones described.
I have no idea if the author is American, but to me it felt like it was written by an American trying to sound English.
Saying that, I did carry on reading and it was okay. Not sure if I would read another one or not by this author. To me she doesn't do her research and there was nothing original in what was written. It's a shame as she is obviously a good writer.
on 4 August 2013
Its been a long time since a story really pulled me into its grasp and this was a welcome distraction from normality, keeping me up quite late into the early hours to see how it ended! I really loved the escapism of the period it was set in and thought the author wrote it well. This is a great version of one of my favorite types of story ie typical bad boy turns good for his lady love, but she was a great character, not simpering or annoying at all! I do agree with another reviewer in that Nick's character was at times almost unbearable and boorish, but it didn't ruin it for me, I think that's a good sign that the writer can make you really angry with the character .At times his character was so nasty to her, almost bordering on violent that I wanted to scream at her to walk away! Again well done to the author for bringing this out in me. The only thing was that the 'reveal' to do with his past, I saw coming a mile off and considering the author did such a great job of building the back story, why he was so angry and disturbed, why he couldn't bring himself to believe in Ashleigh it all felt a bit rushed in the end. But it was a very sad reveal and brought the story full circle.
All in all really good and I shall be queuing up the others on my kindle! xx
on 13 July 2013
I notice that this book is described by other reviewers as 'Regency' and it certainly has the feel and aura of this, but right at the beginning of the book is inscribed 'England 1850'. This is of course well into the Victorian period when life and attitudes were significantly different to the 1810-20's. I feel the author writes in a bold and literate manner and the idea of the story is good. More research into the period and English details are required, there is too much 21st Century ideology and too many Americanisms, gotten, fit for fitted, fall instead of Autumn, all the usual things. Nevertheless a promising author and engaging read.
on 30 July 2014
Oh yes, domineering, controlling men who treat women in their lives like children are soooo attractive. The public spanking for riding her horse as well as a man was particularly endearing. Was this written by a wife beating man using a woman's name?

The "hero" had sex with her and didn't think (in that day and age) he had to marry her. He was continually humiliating and demeaning her throughout their relationship. I hated this book. I kept hoping she would meet a better man who would make her realise her folly and then hopefully duel with the jerk.
on 27 July 2014
I loved the book overall it's blissfully free from outside influences and concentrates on the main characters and their family.
The only complaint I have is that the girl was 17. Her wisdom however is shown to be that of a person much older and wiser yet she is shown in other places to be headstrong and reckless.
It's strange to me that she can be so forbearing at this young age for Nicholas when by all rights she should have been angry or hurt or dismayed yet she keeps hoping .... And finally thinks it's enough then she again starts to hope ...,
But the story otherwise is great it has memorable characters and they are all loveable
It's a bit different as well that there is no villain who is intent on harming either the H or H or kidnapping or rumours etc
I like that the story keeps to a circle of family and close friends and it makes it a very good read for a cosy winter afternoon ( even though I read it in the summer I could feel the winter snow;) )
I also like that the hero doesn't make a fool of himself at the end with James it's enough that he knew what really happened.
on 18 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. The characters were just so intriguing and likable. Ashleigh is a strong welled young lady and Nicholas is a stubborn man and together sparks fly. A very beautifully written romantic historian book.
I look forward to reading more of the author's books
on 29 July 2013
This is the first book I have read by this author, but if the story looks good, I'll read it. I'm glad to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It had characters I enjoyed getting to know with a storyline that kept my interest. I will be looking at other books by Jennifer McNare. Sue P.
on 23 July 2015
I really liked this story BUT I very nearly didn't continue to read beyond the first page as 1850's Victorian England had beern hijacked by the USA. ROUT not ROUTE. The continuous use of the word FOYER when what was clearly meant was ENTRANCE HALL and when foyer could properly be used we got LOBBY. DRINKS CABINET not LIQUOR where he got his BOURBON (although it says later in the book he had it imported from America). All the Americanisms aside, I did enjoy this story and might even download Alex and Brendon's stories. Also. the cover, what's with that? The people don't even resemble the descriptions of the characters and it doesn't really say Historical Romance. Therefore, overall an enjoyable read but only four stars because it frustrated me until I could make my mind overlook the anomalies.
on 26 July 2013
After reading Love Storm by Jennifer McNare and loved that book decided to seek out other books written by this talented author and was not disappointed really enjoyed this and cannot wait for for Tiffany & Alex's story coming soon.
on 2 July 2014
Thank you, Jennifer McNare, I was so engrossed in this book that I finished it just as it was getting light and the birds started singing! I just could not put it down.

I wanted to slap the two main characters, Nicholas for being a complete B*****d for most of the time, and Ashleigh for allowing herself to be his doormat! As he mistreated her, again and again (and she let him get away with it) I got angrier and angrier with them both. At one point, I found myself with tears in my eyes as, once again, he treated her abominably when she did not deserve it. Any writer who can evoke such strong emotions in the reader deserves a 5 star review IMHO. Well done!