on 9 March 2013
Packed with practical advice and in-depth, but well explained, science behind the theory of eating an alkaline diet to improve health. Well laid out with useful diagrams, tables and images. There's a menu planner, exercise advice and tip boxes. The authors, a nutritional therapist and a professional vegetarian chef, clearly know their stuff. Recipes are fantastic and really appeal to me. They include:

Breakfasts:
Green and fruit smoothies - various flavours
Buckwheat Pancakes

Pak Choi Parcels
Falafel Wraps
Patty Pan Canapes
Aubergine Pesto Rolls
A wide range of interesting soups and salads

Mains:
Pizzas with various unusual toppings (e.g. roasted beetroot, garlic and feta)
Layered Vegetable Bake

Coconut Balls
Cookies
Cheesy Kale Crisps
Coconut Cake
Breads - a variety using interesting flavours and grains
Dips and Crackers

Desserts:
Polenta Cake
Chocolate Mousse (made with avocado!)
Sweet Potato Brownies
Poached Pears with Cashew Cream
Chocolate Superfood Ganache
Lemon and Poppyseed Almond Cake
Lychee, Mango and Basil Sorbet
Ice Creams - a range of tempting flavours, e.g. Strawberry and Coconut, Toffe Crunch

Hope you enjoy the book as much as I have.
88 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2013
I'm a frequent Amazon consumer.. Yet this is my second ever review... Tells you something!

This book is just wonderful. There is a great introductory section on why an alkaline diet is healthy for you, and lists the good, the bad and the ugly in acidic terms.

The recipes, however, are why I have come here to write to you. I've had the book for 3 weeks, and most of our dinners and lunches have been made from the recipes here. They are probably the tastiest meals we've ever had. A couple of them I've made many times already as they are just so delicious (the HH sunday breakfast to name one!). The best bit.... My toddler loves them! They are very different to any other cookbook I've ever bought, the ingredients sound a bit strange to be mixing with each other, but each time I make a recipe I'm really surprise with just how good it tastes. I am a keen cook, and buy lots of recipe books - but usually I make one or two recipes and then the book gets shelved. Not so with HH - I am really looking forward to making even more of these lovely dishes.

Expect to be buying plenty of fresh vegetables, take a stab at making your own bread, some healthy baking ideas and enjoying fab cheeses. The book is vegetarian, but you can always add baked chicken or fish to some of them - which is what we do.

I disagree with the reviewers who say the ingredients are hard to come by and too expensive. Most of the items can be found at Sainsburys - including Agave Syrup (look in the sugar aisle). Other items like Himalyan Rose Pink Salt - comes in at £2.99 in Holland & Barratts... in the same size pot as rock salt would cost you £1 in Sainsburys. Now, I realise that's a high mark-up... But at the quantities you will use this item... It will last for ages so is worth the outlay. And if you don't fancy it... Well use the rock salt! :-)

I didn't have to buy too many extra things for these recipes, and everything was found in the supermarket or H&B (and if you care for your health, you're most likely a semi-regular shopper at H&B anyway!).

In honesty, the smoothie section is probably out of our price range - but then smoothie sections are in any recipe book, so I'm not taking away points for that.

I bought this book because I take the nutritional needs of myself and my young son seriously and I've recently been looking into the benefits of an alkaline diet as an immune strengthening exercise. My PH balance is much better after using this cookbook for the majority of our meals. I'm a single parent on a low wage, so if I can afford to cook from this book, then you can. It's about prioritising. I'd rather feed my son good healthy food with the best ingredients I can afford than buy him branded clothing / crisps / magazines etc. And you can always get the fresh veg from a market to save money :-)

We've just tucked into the fennel & halloumi salad with cranberries: delicious.

I urge you to buy this book, I don't think you will be disappointed! Good luck, one life :-)
0Comment| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2012
This book is inspiring... I've had it less than 24 hours and I've already made two recipes! The premise of the book is tagged as "alkaline" - however, this really wasn't my main reason for buying it. I am gluten/cow's milk intolerant and was hoping to find some healthy recipes I could adapt - not knowing that gluten ans cow's milk are two of the the things that the authors encourage avoiding. The book is also vegetarian, which I am not, though in these frugal times it's useful to have interesting and delicious meals that you can cook well without expensive meat/fish. I'd happily serve these at a "normal" dinner party - might even invite my vege mates round just so I can show off!

All the recipes are very accessible - I had most of the ingredients in my kitchen already - you may have to invest in some specialist flours and consider where you may find some "goats cheddar" (I found mine in my local supermarket with much surprise!) - and I suggest you buy some raw cacao powder and make the chocolate mousse (with the strange green ingredient) because it is absolutely to die for - and 100% guilt free! The instructions are clear and easy to follow - if you have a small understanding of food prep you'll find them a doddle.

The authors have clearly thought this through - and not just jummped on a band wagon to bang a drum, the "pitch" is sensible and doesn't make sensationalist promises. I have a collection of healthy eating diet and cookery books to rival the stock here in Amazon and this is absolutely the best one I have found so far. It's practical as well as being beautifully presented and a book I will buy to give as a gift in future. If this is what the authors/producers were going for then they have hit the nail on the head! VERY well done! Thanks!
22 comments| 331 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2015
If there was a 3 and a half star available for this book, I would rate it as that. It's better than a three star but not quite there for a four star.

I bought this book because it looked and sounded great from the reviews. I suffer from acid reflux so I thought these alkaline recipes would help that.

Flicking through the book, the meals look and sound delicious and nutritious.

The aspects which stopped me from rating this book higher is:

1. Many of the ingredients are difficult to find. In many cases, you will not be able to get all the ingredients from one supermarket. It therefore takes a considerable amount of time to find all the ingredients (which has to be done in a short space of time because things go off). I think this book would be great if you're out of a job, or don't work and if you're at home and have plenty of time on your hands. I don't think it's very practical if you have a busy working schedule.

2. Some things require cooking/baking things for hours and hours. For example, one breakfast recipe involves placing things in a dehydrator for 10 hours or alternatively, baking things for 10 hours with the oven door open (same recipe, two options in order to cook it, and both involve 10 hours!) Again, it's certainly not practical for me to be doing that!

The good things about this book are: it's inspired me to eat certain things that I wouldn't usually eat. It has given me inspiration to include certain ingredients into my meals which I ordinarily wouldn't.

But sadly, there's quite a few things I can't make because of the length of time it takes to cook/ the fact that buying the ingredients would involve a lot of running around, and in some cases, having to order things online.
on 12 February 2014
I just received this book and hope I can return it, as after flipping through the intro I found the authors recommend certain "healthy" foods that are anything but.

I was so excited when I ordered this book, as I recently read another book about alkaline eating and adopted a lot of the principles. However, many of the recipes in this book call for agave syrup, which is marketed as a healthy and natural, yet is ultimately a highly processed sweetener containing more fructose than high fructose corn syrup. There is typically 90% fructose in agave! High fructose usually contains 55% and we all know how awful that is! Soy products, like soy milk and tofu, are also referenced despite the negative effects they have on our health.

Sure, the recipes look great but I question the authors' credibility if they are telling readers to use the ingredients I discussed above.
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2016
I would recommend anyone planning to buy this book to watch BBC clean eating a dirty secrets. The author was interviewed and refused to answer questions about how sound medically this diet actually is. There is no evidence that an alkaline diet works for the reasons they state ... It might work, but simply because the foods you're supposed to eat support a healthy weight loss: lots of fruits and vegetables, and lots of water. So enjoy the recipes, but take the 'science' with a large pinch of salt. And if you fancy a chippy and a beer at the weekend after a week of healthy food, go for it. Your brain and mental health will thank you for it.
on 20 February 2016
The information and ALL the recipes in the book are fantastic. I have shown it to 4 colleagues and they have all bought the book too. I love the way its laid out, the information is so easy to understand and absorb. I have cooked 7 meals so far and they have all been delicious and more importantly eliminated my Heartburn. I shall be following the guidelines in this book for the rest of my life. I feel so much better and believe you are what you eat.
on 1 November 2012
I have to say I am only writing this review because I did not agree with the other reviews I read on Honestly Healthy. The recipes in this book are really delicious and if you are new to alkaline eating it will inspire you to continue and persevere. Some of the ingredients are a bit weird, and expensive, like yacon syrup, coconut flour and sea vegetables but any good health food shop will have these or get them in for you. It is true, they recommend a very expensive liquidiser but that's only if you need to buy one and then you don't have to buy the one they suggest. They also say to upgrade in stages and change over to this method of eating gradually so it is up to you how far you take it. Personally, I feel so much better having cut out sugar and made my diet alkaline that it is really worth it. I have left one star off because I would have liked a more comprehensive list of foods with their acid/alkaline values, but i have had to search the internet for this. It has been a bit pricey setting up my store cupboard with more nuts and seeds, fruits and grains etc but it has been fun and nothing has been wasted - it is all delicious. It takes time to get all the information into your daily practice and to change the habits of a lifetime but I'd say this book makes it seem possible. I'm really glad I bought it and recommend it to others keen to eat more healthily.
11 comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2012
On the plus side, the book contains lovely photos and the layout is well presented.

Unfortunately most recipes require at least one unusual, hard to get a hold of and often expensive ingredient - Himalayan pink salt, rice syrup, agave syrup, lucuma powder, maca powder, xylitol to name but a few. I also find it a tad annoying that the authors use this as an opportunity to plug their favourite make of blender and juicer as well as listing a dehydrator as recommended kitchen equipment.

This isn't a book for an average person with a kitchen full of average equipment and on an average budget looking to try out some healthy recipes.
1212 comments| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 August 2015
Absolutely terrible, there wasn't a single recipe that I was inspired to make and some really naff excuses for recipes including avocado on toast. I might write a recipe book and include how to make a ham sandwich, shocking! I sent it back.