Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

4.5 out of 5 stars2,515

on 4 May 2013
Don is lecturer in genetics at a university in University in Melbourne, Australia. He is single, on the brink of his fortieth birthday and leads a highly systemized life dominated by routines, list, structures and timetables. You can count all his friends on the fingers of one finger, unless you include, Claudia, wife of his friend Gene, lecturer in evolutionary psychology. Claudia, a psychologist herself, is Don's ad hoc therapist. The story begins with Don substituting for Gene to deliver a lecture on Asperger's to facilitate Gene latest endeavor in philandering. Gene is attempting to `collect' a woman from ever country in the world. It is clear, though not to Don, that he has much in common with the subjects of his lecture.

It has reached Don's attention that married men are happier and live longer. It is therefore logical that he should become married. To that end he formulates a state-of-the-art questionnaire and engages in some dating activities, which he sees mainly as opportunities to collect data via the questionnaire. The questionnaire proves useless and Gene acquires the completed scripts in order to make use of the geographical data they contain. At the same time, Gene sets Don up with Rosie, one of his PhD students.

Rosie is completely unsuitable, naturally, but as soon as she appears on the scene, the course of the rest of the book is clear to the readers.

THE ROSIE PROJECT is the most enjoyable read I have had for a very long time. Obviously, one can debate how good a book is, but there is no real debate about emotional response. I loved it from first to last. I laughed, I cried. I got out of bed at 3am to read more.

The voice is first person from Don's crippling matter-of-fact Aspergers point of view. As a picture of autism, this is every bit as good as Dustin Hoffman in RAINMAN. Don is a superb character, an absolutely faultless creation. The gimmick of using the voice of a misfit almost always fails, but when gimmicks work (LIFE OF PI, THE CURIOUS INCIDENT...) they turn clichés into art. THE CURIOUS INCIDENT can be seen as children's book at some levels. ROSIE is 100% grown-up.

If you strip Don's issues out of the story, then it is not worth telling, and that is the point. The plot must be banal, because it is exactly that - the ordinary, predictable vagaries of social interactions - that cause Don his problems. Complexity and confusion are redundant in Don's life.

Don's gradual crack-up and the comedy set-pieces are all very well executed. A love story like this must have a heartbreaking climax and it is indeed very sad to watch everything fall apart before it gets put together again. The background of academia is just as well done as anything in David Lodge, really. The `facts' about genetics and social interactions are very satisfying.

Rosie is written more or less as a romantic comedy movie, but it is more or less impossible to see how it could be made into a movie, because the book is very subtle indeed. As a movie it would become terribly gauche.

I know nothing about the author, but it is really hard to imagine that this is a first novel. Likewise, it's hard to work out where he might go next. One feels that one is in expert company, probably that of a Melbourne academic.

Having enjoyed the book so much, I'm slightly worried that I might have `misjudged' it somewhat, whatever that means. It could easily provoke a `so what' response in some. I'd like to think that my emotional response demands that the work be `quality'. I could talk about it for hours.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2014
Don Tillman is a genetics Professor in Melbourne, his life one that is dominated by routines and strict schedules and order; he knows that his brain works differently to most, social situations in particular are not his forte, however, the way he sees it he is governed by logic and reason as opposed to his emotions. Approaching his fortieth birthday, Don decides that he wants to get married; it being well documented that married men live longer and are happier. To this end he embarks on the wife project, for which he designs a specific questionnaire in order to efficiently select his ideal partner. Then Rosie enters his life, and all logic and reason swiftly goes out of the window!

The Rosie Project makes for a diverting and unusual read, mainly because it is told entirely from Don's perspective and his rather unique take on the world. Don as the central character is utterly delightful, and hard not to warm to despite all his oddities. In essence he could be Sheldon Cooper's (from the Big Bang Theory) twin; and he makes for a refreshing hero.

I actually probably preferred the first part of the story, as we get to know Don and his little routines, e.g. the very efficient standardised meal system, and as he devises his questionnaire to seek out the perfect wife; however, then Rosie enters the story and it starts to drift off in another direction. There is initially some confusion between the two characters, Don assuming Rosie to be an applicant, albeit a very unsuitable one, for the wife project, when in actual fact she is seeking his advice as a genetics expert to help track down her real father. This assumption being cleared, Don sets out helping Rosie gather DNA samples to find out who her real father is; this element of the plot actually then becoming quite a dominant one in the story, and I have to say that personally I felt it rather dragged out, Simsion rather going into too much detail over it all, and more that I particularly cared for or was invested in. Furthermore, I thought the actual resolution to the father project to be very weak.

Obviously as Rosie and Don spend time together on the father project, they start to develop a friendship; Rosie challenging quite a lot of Don's views and throwing him into situations he is unaccustomed to, but often finds himself enjoying as he loosens up and stops sticking so rigidly to all his routines. There are plenty of amusing incidents that follow to this effect, and you can easily see where the story is heading; however, personally I found Don's progress to becoming more socially adept and his willingness to alter his hitherto strict routines rather too quick, particularly as it is implied that he likely suffers from undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome. In real life such dramatic changes would be unlikely to occur in so short a time span, and as such the condition is perhaps trivialised in a way.

My other main criticism is that I did at times struggle to warm to Rosie; often she simply came across as too immature and angry, in particular regarding her issues with her father.

Overall an entertaining read, and certainly different to the usual in the romantic comedy genre, with some interesting food for thought and a very likable lead character. However, from all the glowing reviews I had probably been expecting more than I got; and as such did feel that the book may have been over-hyped a little.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 8 May 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Don Tillman is a professor of genetics. He narrates this story in which his main focus is to find a perfect wife.
It soon becomes apparent that Don is fairly well advanced on the aspergers scale - he struggles with social interaction, has to plan his life to the last minute, is not flexible and is well above average intelligence.
At first his thoughts are quite strange but quickly be becomes very endearing and I found myself chuckling at his analyses of his various projects. He thinks differently from most people which comes across in every thought that goes through his head.
It would be easy to ridicule him but this author manages to make Don funny without ever making him an object of fun.
Overall you get a book with a neat and tidy plot of which I think Don would approve.
Great to read something a bit different.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Don Tillman is an Associate Professor of Genetics with (probably) Asperger's Syndrome who has decided that, as he is nearing 40, he will solve "the wife problem" (ie. not being married) by creating a questionnaire that will ascertain, for him, the perfect wife and then marry her. That is until he meets Rosie, a grad student working part-time in a gay bar who's looking for her biological father, and slowly Don's "Wife Project" becomes "The Rosie Project" as he realises he's falling in love with her.

I say that Don probably has Aspergers because it's never explicitly stated but as he narrates the book in the first person, the reader is immediately aware that he sees the world differently than the rest of us. It's kind of like having Sheldon Cooper from "The Big Bang Theory" talking to you - Don is a genius with no social skills who's unable to read facial expressions and has a highly regimented lifestyle and peculiar way of speaking.

Couple that with the opening scene where he gives a talk on Aspergers and it's highly suggested that he has it. Not knowing anyone with Aspergers, I can't tell whether he sounds convincingly like someone with it but what little I know of the condition suggests that his personality is unlikely to change as dramatically as Don's does throughout the book. It's almost like his meeting Rosie reverses the condition. I mean, he's unable to feel love - but he can? He's unable to read facial expressions or understand social conventions - but then he can?

Nevertheless I thought the first 200 pages of the book were charming. Don is a likeable guy whose eccentric lifestyle makes a change of pace to the usual rom-com formula and the different angle it gives to the genre made me interested in it even though romantic comedies aren't usually my thing. There were also some excellent scenes that stuck out memorably like Don and Rosie's first date, from using aikido on the waiters to altering time and having dinner on a whiteboard (not as surreal as it sounds but nice touches anyway), and Don and Rosie's moonlighting as cocktail waiters and Don using his remarkable memory (eidetic?) to take complex drink orders for dozens of people at a time. I read the first two-thirds of the book in a couple days, smiling a lot throughout. And then I got to the final third which took me over a week and ruined the book for me.

The first 200 pages had been unique to the rom-com genre and felt highly original which is why I responded so well to it - it wasn't going over the same ground countless other stories had gone over before. The final third is all about convention and it opens with a scene in New York. The story is set in Australia but because Don and Rosie are hell bent on finding Rosie's biological father, their search takes them to two possible fathers in NY. This 50 page section felt completely contrived and could've been cut from the book entirely.

This book was originally a screenplay and these scenes felt very cinematic and included so that film backers would have recognisable locations for their film to make it easier to sell, rather than serving the story. Yes, the finding Rosie's real dad storyline is in play but if you took those two people away from NY and cut it entirely, the book would've been snappier. As such it feels really contrived and dull, like the scene in the movie where the two romantic leads get to do a kind of montage sequence of things. It also constantly references other romantic comedy movies the entire time too, adding to the feeling that this is a homage to the genre and included because that's what's expected when you do something like this.

Then the final 70 or so pages are about Don winning Rosie back and it's done in such a conventionally rom-com way that I totally lost interest. Worse, Don's character didn't seem consistent in this part either (see the criticisms in the Aspergers section above).

I've used the label "romantic-comedy" throughout because that's what the marketing says it is but it's not. It's romantic, sure, but it's not funny. I didn't laugh once and didn't think Don's numerous social faux pas to be particularly funny either. Worse still are the scenes which are clumsily designed to be funny and feel very forced, like when Don is learning sexual positions from a book and uses a skeleton (he's at the university for this scene so it's not a Dahmer moment or anything) and the Dean walks in on him. It feels like the kind of scene in a sitcom where the canned laughter goes on and on as the camera switches from Don's face to the Dean's and back again while the audience begins to clap and laugh at the same time. It might as well be labelled "funny scene". And it's not.

Despite my criticisms, I was quite happy to give this book 3 stars - until I read the end. Now I know the ending shouldn't have more importance over any other aspect of the story, whatever the genre, but the ending to this book is especially bad. So Rosie at the very start when she's introduced to Don, tells him about her dad Phil, a man who raised her alone after her mum died when Rosie was 12, who's a person whom she doesn't particularly get along with (largely because of a minor quibble which she's unreasonably held against him for her entire life) - but no more so than any other person who doesn't get along with their mum or dad for whatever reason. Except she's convinced herself he can't possibly be her real dad and that her real dad must be out there somewhere. This is basically the motivation for everything Don and Rosie do in this entire book and right off, I thought "I bet it turns out Phil IS her real dad after all". Well... I won't give it away but you can kind of guess what happens in the end. And I really, really hated that. Don all but says what I was feeling in the second-to-final sentence of the book and I immediately dropped the book down another star.

This book definitely has some good moments and Don is a memorable and oftentimes delightful character, but the final third of the book really frustrated me. If the book had been more tightly edited with the NY sequence thrown out and had had a less predictable ending, I would be enthusiastically recommending this novel. As it is, it is a flawed debut novel that's well written but severely lacking in crucial parts of the story reducing it from a charmingly quirky romance story to yet another rom-com with no surprises and a sloppily rushed final act. Graeme Simsion can write and he might one day write a brilliant novel but sadly "The Rosie Project" is not that book.
on 21 April 2015
I was expecting a funny and interesting book, given the subject matter. I don't know much, apart from common knowledge, about autism or Asperger's but, to me, the protagonist just seemed a caricature. As for Rosie, I found her one of the least interesting characters I ever read a story about, with no significant personality traits whatsoever. And the plot, to me, was just absurd - not funnily absurd, just silly, totally unrealistic (collecting "swabs" and DNA testing dozens of unsuspecting men? really?) and really boring. About 20 pages to the end (and just finishing because it is an easy read - which, by the way, is what least appeals to me in a book, even a light one) I was asking myself if this book had given me anything worthwhile - and the answer is no: it didn't make me laugh (just one or two slightly funny sentences), it didn't give me any interesting insights nor made me curious to learn more about autism... A big disappointment, considering the huge number of five star reviews.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 December 2014
Delightful, totally delightful, inspiring, humourous, kind-hearted, charming and amusing book. "The Rosie Project" is a unconventional and comical love story, about looking for love, and finding it, and fighting for it.

Once I got into "The Rosie Project" (and it took me a day or two), I just could not put it down! What a charming character Graeme Simsion created! Hooray for Don! Weird and wonderful! The book has its faults (the biased portrayal of aspergers syndrome, the narrative that many people might disagree with), but all in all it's a fun, peculiar and almost "intellectual" love story. Sometimes very funny, sometimes tear-jerking.

I could not wait to start The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2 the minute I finished "The Rosie Project". Recommended!
on 7 September 2015
Professor of genetics Don Tillman has a wife problem, he believes it is is purely a question of finding a solution, a logical solution and so begins his search for love, and a suitable partner.

“I've sequenced the questions for maximum speed of elimination,’ I explained. ‘I believe I can eliminate most women in less than forty seconds. Then you can choose the topic of discussion for the remaining time.’
‘But then it won’t matter,’ said Frances. ‘I’ll have been eliminated.’
‘Only as a potential partner. We may still be able to have an interesting discussion.’
‘But I’ll have been eliminated.’
I nodded. ‘Do you smoke?’
‘Occasionally,’ she said.
I put the questionnaire away. ‘Excellent.’ I was pleased that my question sequencing was working so well. We could have wasted time talking about ice-cream flavours and make-up only to find that she smoked. Needless to say, smoking was not negotiable. ‘No more questions. What would you like to discuss?”Graeme Simsion, The Rosie Project

His total blindness of his own problem and the fact that he has resolved most problems in his life through logic and study are what makes this a very funny book, like the movie Big the innocence and honesty of the character makes the story shine with freshness and insight of the problems most of us face, but accept as normal everyday human relations.

“I have heard the word ‘stunning’ used to describe women, but this was the first time I had actually been stunned by one.” Graeme Simsion, The Rosie Project

This is s beautiful comedy that has some lovely moments of humanity and understanding that will have you one minute laughing and the next feeling total empathy for Don’s everyday dilemmas, as we begin to experience the world through his eyes

“I haven’t changed my mind. That’s the point! I want to spend my life with you even though it’s totally irrational. And you have short earlobes. Socially and genetically there’s no reason for me to be attracted to you. The only logical conclusion is that I must be in love with you.”
― Graeme Simsion, The Rosie Project

A very good companion to have on a day you are taking the train to work or on a long flight, just be careful you don't start laughing out loud or looking too sad in the company of strangers, you may have to explain the solution to the Wife Problem.
on 20 October 2014
This is a book that I delved in quite quickly. It's a feel-good romantic comedy that could be the alternative script in some parallel universe if The Big Bang Theory chose to rewrite the show so that Sheldon Cooper would have a romantic relationship with Penny (a smarter Penny perhaps).

Yes, this comparison's already been mentioned a couple of million times, but it's true. Don Tillman is what I would imagine to be a more handsome, older version of Sheldon with high functioning Autism - or Asperger's. Another good comparison would be Adam, from the film Adam, starring Hugh Dancy (a great film by the way). But enough with all the comparisons, and let's stick to the story.

I found Don to be really charming despite his lack of it, I found him to be really considerate despite his lack of consideration, and I found him to be really really sweet. When Don and Rosie meet and they start hanging out, I loved watching him slowly let go and allowing himself to sort of follow Rosie's lead for a change, and do things her way. I enjoyed their interactions, their conversations, how she seemed to bring out a side of him that's not been seen by any of his friends and family before. She was able to make him feel love, but she was also able to make him feel hurt, and I think that's important in this overall journey of emotions that Don was experiencing. We got to know him better through Rosie, we were able to understand him better, to delve into his life a little deeper, and find out things about him and his past that we probably wouldn't have known had it not been for Rosie's influence on him.

But the story was very funny too! In true RomCom style, their interactions varied from laugh out loud funny to cringe-worthy. Their trip to New York was very interesting for me, and I loved how Simsion made me actually feel like I was experiencing New York with them! The mystery to try and find out who Rosie's biological father was also a great storyline, even though I had it figured out long before they did.

Over all, a fun and charming story to read. I actually seem to be picking up a lot of books with autistic characters lately (mother mother, the curious incident of the dog, rosie project, and now reading Isla and the happily ever after), but I would say Don has been my favourite character out of the bunch so far.
on 23 June 2013
Review: I didn't really know what this book was about. I saw it popping up all over twitter and in bookseller charts. I had a quick glance at the blurb and knew that I would have to read this. I'm very susceptible to people talking about books, I know I have to have them. I actually downloaded the audiobook so that I could get through it quicker, and from the first moments I was listening to it, I knew I had unearthed a truly funny Gem!

Professor Don Tillman is a fabulously funny character, and without even meaning to be! It begins with him giving a lecture on Aspergers to a group of Aspergic children and their parents, and it is quite clear to us as readers that, he himself is Aspergic. This had me laughing from the start. The other things he does throughout the book, show clear signs that he is on the autistic spectrum and yet he clearly doesn't know he is!

When Rosie comes into the story, she turns Don's world upside down, and the results of this are also hilarious. I love how understanding Rosie is of Don's little foibles and I think their interactions are very well written. Don's other colleagues at the university are not as understanding as she is, which is a shame, but also, fairly true to life!

The beginning of the story moves fairly slowly, and there is a lot of scientific jargon throughout, but this doesn't take away from the humour and the heart-warming moments that take place! I don't want to give too much away, but my highlight is definitely the road trip that Rosie and Don embark on towards the end of the novel-it's fabulously funny!

If you like The Big Bang theory, especial, Sheldon Cooper, you will love this novel, but I really do think there is something in here for most readers. It's a nice quick read and the humour makes it a nice lacy story, and yet you are not left wanting more. I really hope there will be a sequel as I would love to hear more from Don and indeed Rosie!
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2013
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Before I got this book, I had no idea that this book had a main character who has Asperger's (hence the aspies rule!). I have taught children who we have been labelled as 'suffering ' from Asperger's syndrome. It is only after reading this story that I sat down and realised that I have never considered how/why it affects people the way it does....Don Tillman, the main character helped me to see that people that have Asperger's are just individuals who don't think or do things in the way that the majority of the population does. There is nothing wrong with them. Thank you Graeme Simsion for helping me to realise this very obvious fact!

Returning to the book, it is actually a superbly written story. It's a romance with intelligent comedy timing. I especially liked how Don would say exactly what he was thinking e.g. At one of his lectures, he points to a lady who has her hand raised to ask a question, and says 'yes, the fat lady at the back.'

Don has decided that he can find a wife (which he previously thought was impossible for him) via a questionnaire that he has devised. He goes about trying different ways of meeting women who he can then convince to complete the very comprehensive questionnaire.

As he begins this 'wife project' he also meets Rosie who does not tick any of his boxes on his questionnaire. He rules her completely as a possible candidate for a wife, but he agrees to help her find her real father, Don is a geneticist and aids her by testing DNA that they steal from possible suspects AKA as men that her deceased mother may have slept with at a medical school party..

I don't want to tell you more as I want everyone to enjoy this great book. If you like romance that is not too sickly sweet, want to learn something about the characteristics of Asperger's and meet a cast of interesting characters then I highly recommend this book.