1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful set but will not play in proper video mode, 19 May 2013
D. Byrnes (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britten at 100 - Tony Palmer's Classic Films [DVD] [NTSC] (DVD)
This should be a terrific set, but none of the four discs in it will play in the correct 4:3 mode. All four films were made in 4:3 screen format, but they will only play in wide screen - i.e., horizontally stretched. I have tried mode settings on my widescreen tv, which normally handles 4:3 video correctly, showing black bars at the left and right sides. I've tried playing them on my computer's 4:3 displays, and they're STILL distorted, stretched to widescreen with black bars at top and bottom!

I would be curious to know if anyone who's purchased these DVDs is able to play them normally.

Later that same day... I've just emerged from an encounter with Mr Tony Palmer who assures me my comments are nonsense. The films still look distorted to me, especially at the sides. However, Mr Palmer produced the DVDs so he must be right.

Caveat Emptor.