on 19 October 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed this 'new' author.
Plot / story line flowed. Well researched about delving into ancestry, quite the Murder Mystery!
on 5 October 2013
The plot sounded good but it didn't live up to expectations. The writing style was rather
flat and could have done with being rather more vivid. I also guessed "whodunit" which
was a shame.
on 27 August 2014
The idea for this story is great and the blurb made it sound really interesting. However, the writing is so pedestrian. The characters are ok but all they ever do is go to the pub for lunch. There were several places where I thought there was going to be some real drama but they petered out and everyone went home - safely - to bed. This book doesn't seem to have been past an editor or a proof reader (lots of little mistakes throughout). It's a shame because there is obviously some imagination behind the concept, it just didn't deliver what it promised.
on 2 June 2014
I personally found the plot too simplistic in spite of the genealogical enquiries. There was a lot of unnecessary details about, making sandwiches and such like which added nothing to the story. Also the ending was not that credible. I would recommend this book to those people who enjoy a murder mystery but don't want to work too hard at unravelling the plots.
on 4 April 2015
A very enjoyable read about a discovery in the family that shakes everything up. A story of ordinary people suddenly overtaken by extraordinary and dangerous events. The storyline involving genealogical research was interesting and revealing. I shall definitely read more by this author.
on 4 May 2014
This could have been a good genealogical story, but was not well written and I was expecting The Famous Five to arrive at any moment. I am sorry to say that I don't think I shall bother with other books by this author.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2014
Simple but engaging plot with mostly nice people. Style a bit juvenile - reminiscent of a Famous Five adventure; all turns out well in the end with the 'baddies' getting their just desserts. Nice, gentle holiday read.
on 28 July 2014
Although I did enjoy this book, I did feel as though it lacked something. The characters, though likeable enough, I did not really relate to, and found them a little wooden.
on 25 February 2014
This book was so preposterous at least it made me smile all the way through. Think I now have rather more insight into the working life of a postman than I really needed!
on 10 October 2014
Who thought that tracing your family tree would be so dangerous. This book had me hooked from the first page. Thoroughly enjoyed the read looking forward to the next.