Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

4.7 out of 5 stars1,240

on 23 January 2015
Awful, filled with mental and physical abuse from start to finish. The female character becomes this whimpering pathetic women whilst Jesse becomes even more controlling, and his behaviour is very disturbing. Shocking that this is written by a woman.
on 19 November 2013
What is Ava on........drugs I think. Is she mad? Jesse is a total controlling bully. She has foolishly surrendered her life to him. He mocks her with her ignorance and nieveity, I don't know any woman who would think its ok for a another woman to see their man in their bed naked! Why is Jesse allowed to be around his previous woman but he has a tight rain on Ava and her having contact with male clients and Exs? She is the only character who hasn't been unfaithful to anyone, loyal to a big big fault, both with Kate and Jesse.

No wonder Jesse didn't want the docs examining her when she ended up the hospital they would've discovered the bruising of his treatment of her before she went out with Kate for the night.

I can't imagine my best friend allowing me to be dragged from her car by a crazy boyfriend! I'm still waiting to read what makes Kate, Ava's friend, she has never supported her in anything, taking Jesse side in anything and everything - get rid of her Ava, her and Jesse. He's no good for you!

I need to find out what is going to happen, but numerous time I had to put the book down as Ava is such a week willed skittish woman who just continues to annoy me!! Due to the fact that she constantly just gives into him. I can't believe she said yes!!!

Well written and keeps you glued to the pages......just sooooooo annoying main characters!
on 17 January 2013
Wow! Just, Wow!

Before you read my review, please just open Massive Attack's Angel in a new window and play it in the background as you read. This song features frequently during the book and is Jesse's song for Ava. Play it LOUD!

This has to be one of the most anticipated releases of 2013. After the last desperate and devastating few chapters of This Man, we've all been waiting with bated breath for more Jesse & Ava. The second book of a trilogy is traditionally the weakest, it's neither a beginning or an end and can often be just filler but that is NOT the case here. This book just blew me away, I DEVOURED it and I am now bereft that it is over and can't wait for the third book to be able to finally conclude this intense and overwhelming romance.

We left Jesse & Ava in the depths of despair at the end of This Man. Both of them are broken by what has happened and their relationship is seemingly in ruins. They're both in pieces and wrecked and, Jesse especially, hell-bent on self-destruction. This was done so very well - their broken hearts and intense overwhelming sadness leap vividly to life right off the page and their despair is palpable. They're just lost without each other.

As they move beyond these events and attempt to get their relationship back on track I couldn't help feel that their connection was one of the most intense and most emotional that I think I've ever read in romantic fiction. I so wanted them to sort out their differences, to be open and honest with each other and to find that Happy Ever After that's constantly drifting ever so slightly out of reach. I read with a big grin, loving every minute that they were together and then again always with that ever-present worry that Jodi Ellen Malpas was going to rip the rug out from under us with some unforeseen complication and plummet them back down into the darkness. It's a story of unbelievably wonderful highs followed by despondent lows.

The normally strong dominant playboy has been reduced to a frightened desperate soul by the intensity and depth of his feelings for Ava. He's lived a hedonistic lifestyle until the moment he met her, he's never cared for the multitude of women that he's had physical relationships with and was fairly self-destructive not caring whether he lived or died. Now Ava has burst onto his horizon and he can hardly see straight, he loves her so much. He's terrified that he's going to lose her, that someone will take her from him and she brings out all his extremely over-protective instincts. He's a troublesome, neurotic rogue and there were times that I wanted to scream at him, bang his head against a brick wall to knock some sense into him - he made me crazy. Ava too. I was just rooting for them to find a happy balance - an equilibrium that would ultimately ease their troubled souls but they're so deeply connected to one another, body and soul, they have the power to absolutely destroy one other.

Ava continues to be a wonderful heroine that you can truly believe in. She's as overwhelmed as Jesse by her feelings and is completely bowled over by him. She's a feisty soul and despite Jesse's dominant presence manages to win some of their battles. She's strong and independent and doesn't take well to Jesse trying to micro-manage her life to the nth degree and it makes for a tortuous path as they argue and dispute every little aspect of their life together only to make up with seriously hot off the charts steamy bedroom action! Ava feels a connection to Jesse that she has never felt with anyone ever before and he makes her ecstatically happy and allows her to feel safe at the same time as driving her totally barking mad.

Beneath This Man is a beautiful, captivating, conflicting, tortuous romance that had me completely consumed by their story. I was totally absorbed by the words on the page, everything else just faded into the background as I lost myself absolutely in their fictional world, falling more and more in love with Jesse with every chapter. There's just something so open and engaging about what is passing between them. It's also funny as we get to see the little quirks of character from This Man building and growing giving you the reader a feeling that you're getting to know this central duo so very well. They feel like friends. There's also a great host of secondary characters with poor Clive, the much abused concierge at Lusso, John an absolute pillar of strength at The Manor and Kate and Sam and all of Ava's riotous friends and colleagues.

As I was lucky enough to be one of the earliest to read this, I got asked over and over the same questions - how old is Jesse, how did he get that scar, did he sleep with Sarah, and more. All I can say is - you're just going to have to read the book. I know you're all desperate to know but you don't really want me to tell you. You'll want to experience it for yourself just the way the author intended.

So, this was my first 5 star read of 2013 and an absolutely stunning continuation of the This Man trilogy and I can't wait to get my hands on book 3. If you liked This Man, you're going to absolutely love Beneath This Man. If you enjoy your romance on the angsty, emotional and intense side then this book is most definitely for you.

5 stars super steamy and very special erotic romance
44 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2013
I read this hoping to find Jesse's redeeming qualities. I'm still waiting.

The book itself is a good read and well written, but I found myself disliking Jesse Ward and hoping that Ava sees sense to leave him. However, I'm intrigued by where the next book is headed so will be reading it.

Unlike the first book, which had me captivated and completely falling for Jesse, this one left me feeling disappointed and betrayed. We know that Jesse can be conceited, arrogant and controlling, but here I felt that he was border-line abusive and manipulative. I'm hoping that the third book will reveal a dark secret and shine a light on his character.

I'm still intrigued by Kate and Sam's relationship as well.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 January 2013
I gave the first book 5 Stars. The book received some flack from American reviewers about all the Britishisms. Well it would appear the author took note and this second book has definitely lost its British feel and it's sparkle.

I loved the first book because it was so witty. I loved Ava's interactions with her friends Kate and Tom. Unfortunately, this second book is not as witty and we don't get as much of Kate and Tom.

The first book had a lot of sex. This second book is just one great big sex scene. There is far too much sex in it. I got bored reading the sex scenes. I would say the sex scenes in this book are far better than in the first book. I did enjoy the sex scene set in the gym. I have never read one quite like that before!

I didn't find Jesse sexy in the first book. In this book, he made my skin crawl. He is far too possessive to the fact that I started to feel uncomfortable when I was reading it. There was a review on the American site of the first book where someone likened it to domestic abuse and I defended the author (and even got accused of being the author!). I stick by that as I didn't feel like that with the first book but I'm afraid in this book, Jesse did come across that way. He didn't want Ava to work, he didn't want her going out with Kate (he had to attend their lunch date as well). He told her what to wear. She wasn't allowed to drink. He showed up everywhere..at her work appointments etc. His reaction to stuff was very over the top and he wants to control Ava. None of this sat well with me.

Now to Ava. In the first book I liked her but felt she was immature and naive. Omg, in this book she did my head in! She wants answers from Jesse but all he has to do is have sex with her and she forgets to ask him or decides its not important. I can't say too much about why she annoyed me as it will give spoilers but when she does get some of the answers she wants, she seemed to forgive and forget so easily.

I was actually disappointed with the answers we were looking for. Each one was an anti climax. To me, this whole story could have been told in one book. I'm not a fan of trilogies but I think this would have worked better as a series of books, the first one being Jesse and Ava's story, the next one Kate and Sam (or Dan!). I can't see how the author can drag this story out into a third book.

To be honest, I was bored reading this book. It dragged on and on. What is amazing is the whole book is only just over a week in their lives but it felt like a year! I'm not even sure if I will read the third book now. I wish the author well but I can't help being disappointed in this offering.
on 31 December 2013
3.5 Stars in my Sky!

If I wasn't convinced Jesse Ward was crazy after book one, well I bloody well am now! Whether it's crazy good or bad I'm still not sure. The stuff with the pills was sort of ridiculous, I'd be fuming if I were Ava.

The book pics up a few days after the horrible ending to This Man and whilst Ava is devastated, Jesse is...awol! I think I gave enough 50 Shades and Crossfire comparisons in my review of book one, so I'll leave them out for now.

Ava does get some answers in this instalment but Jesse is still very dismissive and evasive. He's so desperate to keep Ava he hides things from her and makes matters worse. I think sometimes with all the angst and drama the love story element is often forgotten. Jesse is extremely romantic but he cannot handle his feelings.

A Lot happens in Beneath This Man and Jesse seems determined to make up for lost time; he's defo got his foot firmly on the turbo speed button. Ava and Jesse's relationship borders on obsession, they really drive each other crazy. This obsessive love is destructive and toxic at times yet sweet and caring at others. Jesse is alpha to the extreme, for which I both love and hate him! I do wish he'd be more honest and open, as there's nothing more annoying than a guy who lies or omits details!

My fav non-spoilery quotes:

This man is like the sex version of Jekyll and Hyde.
"I lose my head just at the thought of losing you. It makes me a total madman. Believe me, I'm aware of that."
My sanity is certainly questionable, but I'm sane enough to admit that. I was a normal, sound-minded girl. I definitely don't qualify for that anymore.
on 9 August 2013
I am submitting the same review for each of the 3 books because I read them over 3 wonderful days on holiday in Cyprus, so in my head it was just one, totally absorbing, addictive read.

First of all, like so many others, I want a Jesse of my own - with a special smile just for me and even with his all kinds of crazy. Read the books, I defy you not to feel the same.

I had been told the books were good, so good that it was recommended that I wait for the 3rd one to come out before embarking on the series. Brilliant advice. My holiday would have been ruined if I hadn't got the closure of a series end. As it was I was dragged through all sorts of emotions, most of them positive, and totally captivated by Jesse and Ava's story. I was not a good holiday companion.

The word "hot" does not even begin to describe these books. The sex scenes were off the scale. I need a Thesaurus to find a better one, if such a word even exists. 'Hot' describes the weather in Cyprus (about 35 degrees) but even that came nowhere near the standard of these books. Scorching is the best word I can think of at the moment. It was definitely my best read of 2013 so far. I even read them again, straight after I finished Book 3 and I have only ever done that once before and that was, back in the day, when I read 50 Shades.

So, buy, all 3, take yourself off somewhere quiet and immerse yourself in the world of The Manor. These books will release all the "happy" endorphins in your brain like chocolate does, but without the calories. You can then return guilt-free to real life with a really silly grin on your face.
on 18 July 2013
I gave this book 5 stars because it brought emotions out of me and I like when a book does that to me, but it brought out the wrong emotions. I felt very frustrated. The reason being is because Jesse is so overbearing. I wanted Ava to really stand up to him and let him have it. But she kept backing down and letting him have his way. I got frustrated with her best friend Kate who seemed to think that there was nothing wrong with Jesse and because Ava loves him it was alright.
To me this book was bordering on mental abuse. He manipulated Ava into doing what he wanted her do with sex and she let him. He took her pills to get her pregnant to trick her into staying with him. Some of the scenes was uncomfortable to read.
If this was real life no matter how you feel about the guy you would leave and I felt that Ava needed to grow a back bone, but she didn't. She never voiced what she was feeling she would think it but never follow through. Jesse made her tell him she loved him by forcing it out of her by having hard sex and Ava said in her mind that it was under duress, but she still said 'I love you'

I found myself putting my kindle down because I wanted to chuck it at the wall in anger (I didn't. I love my kindle to much)

What gets me is why any woman would fall for a guy like Jesse? He tells what to say, what to do, who she can talk to, interrupts her work and interferes with her job. She stays because she loves him. I was very frustrated I wanted to climb in the book and tell Jesse where to go myself and punch him hard. He can swear but she can't. He cheats on her but she can't and she forgives him.

I will say that the Jodi E Malpas is a great writer because it is written very well and the book does bring out emotions in you, even if it frustration. I just wish Ava was stronger in her convictions when she did sometimes tell Jesse no but he would kiss her and she gave in.

In the first book and the last book I do feel there were similar to fifty shades but I didn't feel this book was similar to FSOG which was good.
on 10 July 2013
*sigh* Sadly, my love for Ava has not grown over the course of Beneath This Man... however my love for Jesse has. This instalment is just as gripping as book one, if not more so. More secrets are revealed, more questions that need answers are raised, and there are plenty of twists and turns to keep the pages turning.

I really do not want to weigh this review down with how much Ava actually annoys me. There are a few times when I think to myself that she has turned a corner, and that things will start to get better. But then she throws a childish temper tantrum and it all goes down hill from there. Please do not think I am exaggerating when I say a temper tantrum. There are times where she literally throws herself on the floor and legs and fists are flying. I am not joking. I am so glad I adore my Kindle, because it took everything in me not to throw it a few times at the wall, wishing of course that the wall was Ava's head.

"I knew you were the one the second I laid eyes on you.'

'The one?'

'The one to bring me back to life."

You may be asking why I continued reading this series, when Ava annoys me that much? That would be Jesse Ward. Holy Hotness Batman. I love Jesse. Is he perfect? Heck no. He is controlling, demanding, arrogant, and completely unreasonable at times... but saying that I know there is something driving him. There is something that has devastated him to the point of acting like he does. Which is why I can forgive him his faults. Plus he is just so darn hot.

"You're mine, and mine alone, baby. Just for my eyes, just for my touch and just for my pleasure. Just mine. Do you understand me?"

I must also give a shout out to a few of the side characters in this series. I love John to death. He is Jesse's right hand man, and more or less bodyguard to Ava. He is a man of few words, but I adore him and his overall attitude. I also love Jesse's friend Sam, who is currently 'dating' Ava's best friend Kate. He is cheeky and he makes me laugh.

I have seen others who also struggled with Ava in This Man and Beneath This Man, say that the third and final book, This Man Confessed, was completely surprising and they loved it a lot. I really hope that this means Ava will finally grow up. I don't plan on falling deep in love with her, but by the end I would like to at least like her.

"We need to make friends."

Christine
Rainy Day Reads
on 16 June 2013
I loved the first book and couldn't wait to start this one. I was dragged into the story there is no doubt about that but God Ava starts strong but she crumbles every time and its getting pathetic now. He over powers her with sex every time she disagrees with him and she just goes with it and if she says no he still continues till she feel she has no choice. He controls every aspect of her life from clothes and drinking to who she can work with and go out with and she caves to it all the time, it is now boarding on abuse. I had to stop reading a few times because I just wanted to slap her and tell her to stand up to him and not take his crap constantly, there is no compromise with him, although he is very good at making her think she has got what she wanted when she never has. The double standards of this annoyed me too, he gets to be around all the women who want him and has slept with and shes aloud to be around no man at all, she has to tell him everything about herself from where shes going and who she with to things about her past and yet he tells her nothings and then calls her a child when she is annoyed he won't answer.

The worst thing about this book for me was her friend Katie, she is a horrible friend, if I saw a friend of mine being dragged into a car when she screaming she doesn't want to go I'd jump in and help her but no Katie just stand there and then comforts Jesse whens hes won. Her infatuation with Jesse is sickening and the fact she is constantly on Jesse's side every time he controls Ava really p@sses me off. I'd dump her as a friend after the first time she sided with him but she continues to undermine all of Jesse concerns, and the fact that Jesse is hot and rich seems to be a good enough reason to ignore all the this Jesse does. It weird cos I feel Katie controls Ava just as much as Jesse does. She tells her nothing about her own relationship but has to know all about Ava's, she constantly tells Ava what to do, and she is constantly conspiring with Jesse about all things Ava she knows more about Jesse and the workings of the Manor than Ava does and is forever going behind her friends back and betraying her.

I will read the last book in the hope Ava can find a backbone and her and Jesse can find a way to compromise that doesn't include him screwing her into submission. I really want to she her become a stronger version of who she was in the beginning of the first book and not this walking talking nervous shell of a person she is now. I like Jesse when hes being fun and playful and he does make me laugh and if he could learn to compromise he really would be a sexy beast but his overpowering nature to control her both mentally and physically turns me right off and I hope the author will give them a happy ending that satisfies both charterers and not just Jesse because I will be very disappointed if the only person who changes in the trilogy is Ava because if that happens this is no long a love story with struggling character but more along the lines of a spousal abuse story about how a dominating man strips away every thing she is and wants and leaves her empty and dependent on him. If this was real life we would all be telling her to run as fast as she can because this is the worst kind of relationship for a woman to have. This is not a dominate/submissive story and yet Ava is always submitting even when she doesn't want to. At this point in the story Jesse is the only one getting what he wants regardless of how it makes Ava feel. That is NOT love.

I just hope the next book doesn't leave me as annoyed and frustrated with both Jesse and Ava as I am now. A good love story is all about 2 strong characters, love and passion and give and take and right now we don't have that. We have one strong character even in his weaker moments he still holds the power, we have the love but as a justification of control but no give and take, she gives and he takes.

High hopes for the next book, please don't disappoint.