5.0 out of 5 stars No problems through consumer unit
Published 16 months ago by CraigM

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast speed but......
As my study room is away from the router, the interned speed on my MAC was so slow.
Since I bought this product, the internet speed was improved and I am very happy with it.
However, when Mac goes sleep mode, I sometimes have to restart computer to reconnect the internet.
The customer support staff thinks the setting on my computer causes this problem but...
Published 14 months ago by Chublet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy!!!, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Solwise 500AV HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter with mains passthrough TWIN PACK - Including extra 3 Metre Connected-AudioŽ Ethernet Cable
Does what it says. Very helpful to have the mains pass through. Speed does not seem to be affected if plugged in an extension lead

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems through consumer unit, 3 April 2013
I was a bit dubious about mains borne Ethernet having read various things about poor performance through consumer units. We live in a large new-build with a lot of electrical circuits and 3 consumer units just for the house. The two ring mains the HomePlug network is on are at least in the same consumer unit but even then I was prepared for poor performance or no connectivity. Not a bit of it. I plugged the two units in switched them on and within seconds had green lights all round. True plug and play.

I have a fairly complex network structure with one HomePlug downstairs connected to the GigaE port on a BT Home Hub 3 which has 3 other devices connected and the other HomePlug upstairs connected to a TP-Link Gigabit 8-way switch also with 3 other devices connected. Web browsing from the desktop upstairs is much faster than on Wi-Fi and the TV downstairs accesses my Synology NAS Media Server upstairs beautifully - something it could never do via Wi-Fi as the BT Home Hub doesn't have a proper bridging mode. Now I can look to set up external internet access to my IP CCTV camera and NAS drive.

To summarise - great product. I've not tried other HomePlug products and why would I when these work so brilliantly?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product and good value, 15 Jun 2013
The Solwise 500AV Homeplug worked out of the box and has so far been very reliable. It seems to be of good quality constsuction. The LED displays are useful, especially the connection quality indicator which helped me set up a faster connection..
The only minor niggle was that the device extends downwards instead of upwards from the plug which in my case can be a bit inconvenient as it's close to the floor - but this is just personal preference and other may prefer it this way.
Summary: based on use over a month in two separate locations I would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for our office 70m from the house - but don't try to use it with a surge protector!, 6 May 2013
Anne Taylor (Midmar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Excellent product, which we're using inside our old granite-built house, since a recent broadband problem means we have to plug everything into the BT master socket, which is in one corner of the house on the first floor. That meant we had a poor signal in the opposite end of the house on the ground floor.

At first, I tried using the HomePlug with the surge protectors, since we occasionally get lightning strikes which would destroy our electronic equipment. The Homeplug does not work if plugged into a surge protector, so make sure you plug it directly into a main socket, and be prepared to run around and unplug them if a thunderstorm is brewing!

We also have one plugged into our log cabin/office which is 70m from the main house and router. I'm writing this review from that office, revelling in the fact that broadband works just as quickly via the electricity supply out here as it does sitting right next to the master socket in the house.

Just about to order two more - I'm really impressed, so 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Strightforward and effective, 26 Mar 2013
After checking for residual-current device circuit breaker protection on our house wiring (fortunately, only between the house and the street), I ordered. One of the two installation CDs was cracked (it seems that many others have been found to be: one star lost for allowing this to persist) but neither CD was needed because the instruction sheet allowed the setting up of a connection with a randomised network name in a few simple steps. We were always disappointed with the speed of the dual-band wireless LAN connection to the PC in our sitting room, even though the router was only one floor away, and no more than 10 metres away in a straight line. The result of using these Solwise AV500s is much faster LAN speeds for our 'entertainment' PC, a factor which may make it more worthwhile to upgrade the router to one with Gigabit ethernet capability and to take BT Infinity rather than continue with BT Broadband service. An effective solution, straightforward to apply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchase of Solewise Plugs, 11 Feb 2013
I recently purchased a 'Smart television' an was aware that my wireless router would not reach from my study to the lounge. Solewise had been recommended as a best buy in Computer Shopper and I therefore purchased this product on line (delivery standard only took thee days) but expected to have trouble configuring to run with my system. I plugged the devise in to the electric socket by my router and and the other devise I plugged in by my television - I was immediately able to operate the 'Smart' aspects of the television without any configuration - not even pushing a button. An excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy solution!, 12 Jan 2014
J. Harrison "The Maverick" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
The absolute ideal quality solution to the conventional 'hard wired' job and, of course, more secure than wireless. I bought them so that I could get access to the Internet on my TV in the lounge from my PC in the small bedroom. Installation was a breeze. An Ethernet cable connects from the wireless hub to one unit and another cable connects the second unit to the TV. Then, just plug 'em in and switch on. Perfect reception (faster than wireless) and that's across two different ring circuits. The number of ring circuits is irrelevant, providing they all start/terminate at the same fuse board/circuit breaker. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars work well, 8 Dec 2013
the only thing that is wrong with them is the size. what I didn't realise before I bought them is that some of my power points are closer to the skirting than others, so with some power points you can't actually plug them in. I worked around it by getting an extension lead and plugging it into that but it's not optimal. So check your points before you order!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent job!, 5 Nov 2013
Chris Gillies (UK) - See all my reviews
Used these to upgrade from 200Mbps, needed a little more oomph to punch through my electricity power network and make the most of the Inifinity connection.

Very easy to set up, and being passthrough means you don't lose a plug socket either.

One thing to be aware of with all powerline devices though - they don't like circuit breakers, surge protectors or power "smoothers" (which are like permanent surge protectors) - so if you've got a power strip with a surge protector, or an outside room like a conservatory with a trip switch, expect performance to drop drastically - where you can, plug this device into the wall socket on the main circuit board side of such interfering devices!

5.0 out of 5 stars They work, 28 Sep 2013
Avid Reader (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
We live in a large Victorian villa and the wi-fi is patchy on the top floor.
I messed around with re-siting the router, buying an additional aerial for it and purchasing a wireless repeater. None of these solutions helped very much. I had read that Homeplugs could be finicky about the electrical circuit they were on and I was cautious about what I could expect. I bought these together with a Solwise Homeplug wifi unit, plugged them in and that was it. The signal is now nearly as strong upstairs as it is by the router. What more can you ask for? I just regret all the time and money I spent on alternatives to these and wished I considered Homeplugs before.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›