on 10 August 2013
I have had a fear of numbers since school, as my teacher showed little patience towards those of us who found statistics harder than the A grade students.

As part of my psychology degree I have been forced to confront this fear. The modules at university have been dry to say the least, and this certainly makes learning more challenging. I was recommended this book and it has made statistics much more, dare I say, 'fun' for me to learn. My confidence is gradually growing; I thought it might be that I am just not intelligent enough to understand all this, but the book is proving me wrong :)

I don't think statistics comes easy to me and I am having to re-read bits of the book to remember different concepts as there is a lot of learn but I have no doubt that it will sink in. This is not a reflection on the book or the way it is written by the way, it is just me having trouble with retaining lots of information.

The book is great; it goes through statistical concepts and analyses starting from 1st year undergraduate to 3rd year and beyond, so things get more challenging as you go through the book. It also helps you learn how to use SPSS, which isn't overly complicated once you know your way around it, and Andy gives some humorous examples when explaining different statistical concepts which make the reading a lot easier. I would highly recommend this book to undergraduate students and postgraduate. Also check out Andy's website 'statistics hell' which has video tutorials and handouts which are equally as useful.
on 3 April 2014
Me and maths/statistics do not go together despite several attempts on my behalf to try and grasp it. Thankfully I stumbled upon this book during my doctorate degree and I can honestly say it was a lifesaver. I found that the content was explained in a straightforward, simple, accessible manner, with some rather amusing 'real-life' examples to illustrate the point. At first glance it seems to disregard the seriousness of statistics because it is filled with several jokes and self-disclosure (the author clearly loves cats), but once you look beyond that, it has a serious side. I havent read it page to page as i've only skipped to the sections relevant to me (muliple regression / factor analysis / t-tests, ANOVA) but from what I have seen, the author explains what the hell it is, why you would use it, what the mathmatic calculation is and then there is a step-by-step walkthrough.

HOWEVER...I did find it a bit tooooooo much sometimes, in that I just wanted him to get to the point and tell me what line I would need to look at on my SPSS output and why. So for that reason, I ended up getting the SPSS survival guide too (but the SPSS survival guide can be a bit too basic). Therefore, both books together helped me do what I wanted and for once, I actually understood the statistics I was doing and why.
on 22 June 2013
I enjoyed the book. The language is very nice and the book covers almost every aspect of SPSS I need for my research. I'm MD and PhD (20 articles as a first author). The book is highly recommended both for beginners and for advanced users. Good job, Andy!
on 29 June 2013
I think the book delivers exactly what it promises. There's no magic or mumbo jumbo, but a good straight forward way of describing what is what and what can be done in certain situations, as well some good examples for Psychology.

It has a certain amount of humour in it too - which is really good considering the topic and how most of us feel about it.

All in all great....
on 1 November 2013
I bought Andy Field 'Discovering Statistics using SPSS' at the beginning of my Psychology masters (MSc Health Psychology) course. It has definitely been money well spent! As someone who is not completely confident with the quantitative/SPSS based aspects of Psychology this book has been incredibly useful.

Also, given that statistics can be a bit of a dry subject at times - I've found the Andy Field book really engaging and feel that I'm actually understanding and learning, instead of just flicking through and looking for instructions to copy into SPSS! Would definitely recommend to postgraduates as well as undergraduates.
on 20 June 2013
I have followed Andy Field's Discovering Statistics Using SPSS right from the first edition, back in the day. He has a hugely refreshing style and manages to cover very complex statistical concepts in ways that are accessible for the more statistically challenged. In fact Andy Field's books always leave me feeling I'm MUCH cleverer than I thought. His skill, not mine!

I would recommend this book for all behavioural scientists from undergraduate through to post-doc and beyond. Brilliant.
on 8 January 2014
As every work by Andy Field, this is a great book for learning statistics with a dose of humour and light illustrative writing. Delivered on time.
on 22 November 2013
I hate statistics but this book actually made them bearable. Funny and easy to read, plenty of useful excercises and helpful hints
on 15 November 2013
Well written book for entry level and advanced SPSS users. Nice stories and good explanations of the base statistical methods.
on 4 November 2013
Stats is boring but at least this helps us understand what is going on a bit. Also very helpful tips for using SPSS.