Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 5 March 2014
This was an interesting twist on a classic.

I enjoyed the re-telling of the story very much, as an adult it was much more statisfying to read this version!

The story felt a little flat to me and when watching it in my head the pictures were almost 2D and a little dull. I don't know whether this was due to the nature of the book - it being a shorter novel and me being used to epic serie or whether it was the writing style.

I didn't give it 5 stars because I found it easy to put down - it didn't make me want to spend that extra 10 minutes reading.
on 10 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book up to about page 191 (pretty much near the end) then it took a huge nosedive into a complete disaster! What on earth was the author thinking writing that sort of ending?! I'll not say anymore as I don't want to give away what happens at the end, but after reading this I hope you won't buy this awful book and therein saving yourself the frustration of contemplating the awful ending...pretty much like I am right now. Or buy the book then rip out all the pages after 190 and make up your own ending, much more entertaining that way!
on 27 April 2013
First of all the cover of this book is absolutely beautiful. Me and my friends thought it was wonderfully done so if you can get the hardback version its definately worth it. I love stories about magic and fairytales and although this isnt quite the fairytale we all know, it hooked me from the start. I would reccommend this book to adults as there are scenes in it that are not suitable for children but it is a great read and I look forward to the next in the series!
on 4 April 2015
I'd heard good things about this book. But reading it.....I don't think I could recommend it. Short read but I feel I have wasted my time! Is it a modern view on an old fairy tale? Well it certainly had things in which I wouldn't allow my kids to read, and totally not necessary. Didn't really end. Too many loose ends. Don't bother.
on 7 February 2015
Beautifully crafted story - I adore twisted fairy tales, particularly those with adult themes and this one was dark and intensely satisfying - I will certainly be on the look out for others in this series. I recommend for fans of the Book of Lost Things, Once Upon a Time and Grimm.
on 11 June 2013
Thoughtful and fast paced re-telling of the familiar story.
Each character is flawed and believable. There are no simple villains, just lots of blurred lines. Great feminist slant on the insipid lie that life will always be better with a man.
Good quick read.
on 12 April 2014
What a wonderful book, taking all the fairy tales of childhood, some in detail some just a snippet here and there, and turning them into a fantastic read! Thoroughly enjoyed it and am certainly going to read the other books in the series.
on 4 October 2013
A fairy tale told like none other I remember reading, basically everyone is corrupt. There you have it, oh and ad sex to the equation and you have yourself an entertaining story.
on 4 September 2014
This one seemed a bit to long to get into the story and sometimes boring in parts I read beauty and loved it. I was disappointed with this one.
on 9 August 2013
I was really excited about Poison. I love fairy tales, I love retelling of fairy tales and this being an 'adult' version of Snow White appealed to me. Not to mention how awesome the cover is. Basically, I set myself up for a massive let down didn't I? Damn, not again.

I didn't hate Poison, but I didn't love it either. Which makes me sad because it's too pretty to get rid of.

We start with Lilith, Snow's step-mother who we expect to be evil but she's just kind of sad. As is traditional, she's jealous of Snow White's beauty and charm but also of how free and wild she is. Snow White is out partying with the dwarves and getting drunk whilst poor old Lilith is stuck in her castle being a lady. I'm not sure if we're supposed to feel sorry for her with this new back story but it didn't really work for me.

Snow White herself is fun. She drinks the Dwarves under the table and basically just does what she likes but I didn't feel any investment in her or her well being. I was glad the huntsman didn't kill her but not because I liked her but because I liked him. And the Prince...don't even get me started on him. What a waste of space he turned out to be.

I did like some elements of Poison though. I liked that no one was quite what they seem, and definitely not what you'd expect them to be, Pinborough did a good job in that sense. And I liked that Snow White was just a normal girl. A normal beer-drinking, curvy girl who has family issues. But on the other hand, that realism took away a lot of magic from the story which is a shame. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds.

I also liked that Pinborough took elements from different fairy tales and integrated them into this one story. Apart from the Aladdin part...really, what was the point in that??

Overall, I think Poison is a great idea in theory but just didn't quite work, for me. Pinborough could have really taken ownership of the source material but it was just a bit too thin to really get your teeth into. I think I'll give the next book, Charm a go just to see if she manages to do this...I still live in hope.

Plus, they really are very very pretty books.

This review was originally posted on Lipsyy Lost and found: [...]