5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Surprise
I was advised by a relative to go and see this film last October. I'd seen the trailer for it on TV and I didn't think a great deal of it. A sort of comedy scifi flick. I'd hadn't heard of Firefly, just that Serenity was a film version of that show.
Only once before have I gone into a cinema expecting so little, only to come out wanting to go see...
Published on 1 Feb 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I should have seen Firefly first
I watched this film because of all the great reviews but although it's not bad, I didn't think it was all that great. Kind of a bit like Star Wars crossed with a Western, but nothing really gripping about the characters or plot. One or two quite funny bits made me think of the machinima, Clear Skies.

I realise there's a mass of Firefly fans who think...
Published 21 months ago by John W

‹ Previous | 1 2 361 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A "shiny" film to be sure...., 7 April 2006
Ed (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I hadn't heard of the Firefly series nor the film...that is until at the end of 2005 when it appeared to be voted the number one film of the year on the Jonathan Ross show. I don't buy DVDs so when the free rental deal came along, I thought I would give it a go...and I am certainly glad I did! Not only have I now ordered the series and film on DVD, it also prompted me to actually write the first review I've done on anything!
You WILL like this film; with such brilliant people behind this film you are sure to love the endearing characters, the script, the action, the laughs, the irony, the soundtrack - there's only one downside...I wish I saw the series first though not because the film was confusing or anything, just because I wish I had heard of the series years ago to watch it and make sure it wasn't cancelled! Hence I urge you to buy both the series and the film! You can take whatever you want from this film, it can be a casual no-brainer or a thought-provoking look on the future, funny or serious with interspersals of sadness; there's something for everyone. Get the DVDs now to show support for such a great series and film and hopefully we'll get more of the same!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sci-fi Rocks!, 26 Aug 2007
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Great flick......one of the best sci-fi movies that I have seen in a long time!! Saw the movie, and then saw the entire TV series! Was a joy to watch and would recommend both to any sci-fi fans out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than anyone will ever know, 19 Jan 2007
Geo Blorge "Actual Journalist" (East Morton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I knew it was coming, but it was a huge blow to see Serenity flounder at the Box Office when I knew how good it was. A really well-balanced, exciting and charming Sci-Fi film, this should be the 2000 generation's Star Wars. Its a shocking, rewarding and dark film, that pretty much justifies why Joss Whedon has an absolutely fanatical fanbase.

I'm one of them, I should say. I picked up the series "Firefly" in 2004 with no knowledge of what it was, what had happened to it or anything. It was a great Sci-Fi series, thus I lent it to a friend who thought the same. He lent it to someone else, etc, etc.

Long story short, this sort of viral stuff paid off when Serenity was released in late 2005. This was a chance for the non-fan to be brought into the whole thing, and see how vibrant the whole cast and stories were.

The film is excellent. Although there's nine characters to outline, the film gave all of them the right amount of screen time to work them out. Although many of them would roll off of the average viewer, I still think they'd see even the peripheral characters as excellent, rather than those you'd see in an average film.

The plot revolves around a struggling space crew and their continuing survival. They carry River Tam, a "special" prisoner that The Alliance is trying to retrieve through any means possible. Captain Malcolm Reynolds(Nathan Fillion) is determined to keep River safe, even if that means sacrificing every freedom to do so.

You can read this stuff on Wikipedia, though. The quality of everything in the film is top-notch, and can appeal to any passing fan of suspension-disbelieving drama. The dialogue is witty, an influential style that is definitely becoming more apparent in TV and Film these days.

Its terrific, in fact. I've heard "Whedonesque" dialogue in the films Hostel, Shaun of the Dead and the TV shows Lost, Alias, Veronica Mars and The OC. Joss Whedon is a ground breaker in style, and his use of the english language really adds to the enjoyment of the film.

Its all good, in fact. My Dad, a guy who had never seen the series, even gave it a 7/10. Given that his film collection is a botched collection of poor war films, I was shocked that he liked it.

You all will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Non Pete Jackson Movie you will see this Year!, 29 Nov 2005
J. Potter "johniebg" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Having endured a summer of really slim cinematic pickings and feeling generally disheartened with the lack of anything specifically good since the end of Rings, perhaps excluding anything with Denzel Washington in it, this looked real good when I saw the quicktime trailer.
Two weeks later I was in the Cinema.
Serenity starts with a teaser, much in the frame as the Bond and more recently Rings movies in that there is an initial sequence before the opening credits appear on screen. By the time the opening sequence closed and those credits began to appear, while Serenity (spaceship) itself rolled in front of our screens to the beautiful David Newman soundtrack Joss Whedon was already plucking at the strings of my emotions like a virtuoso seated astride their favourite harp. I was ready to stand up and start applauding at this point. Through the movie he kept plucking, conjuring larger than life characters that you associate with immediately, making you laugh, sometimes out load, always doing the unexpected and all the while entertaining around the continued premise of strong characterisation.
By the time the credits rolled I knew I had seen a movie that would stay with me forever much as Blade Runner and Fellowship have.
It is set in space but the story and characters are so strong it could have been set anywhere, its better though than any space adventure you have seen in the last five years by some considerable margin.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful mix of sci-fi, western, comedy and human emotion, 24 Oct 2005
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Saw this twice at the cinema. The first time was a shock due to some of the plot twists, but following a second viewing (a week later) i can now judge it without emotional bias.
This is a great film, not perfect, but very few are nowadays and this gets pretty close, especially if youre already an existing firefly fan, (the TV show on which the film is a continuation - do a search here at amazon).
If you want the full experience, then rent or get firefly first then see this, however , i have had excellent feedback from those without prior knowledge of the TV show and they loved it.
The film has a good story, nice special effects, wonderful acting by all involved, and at its heart , a fantastic script full of emotion, comedy moments and subtle depth.
If you enjoy quality films, that are hard to pigeon hole, and bring something new and original to the table, i urge you to see this film. Also, if you like to support the underdog, this film fills that capacity. (Just google for 'firefly' and you'll see why this movie is a triumph.)
Can't wait to see this again when it hits DVD, i will be buying a copy and will rent it too - the film needs the support :)
One last thing: Some have said the dialogue in this film is awful ,(and this in turn reflects badly on the acting).Although i value their opinion, this is completely untrue and is due to a lack of imagination on their part.
The use of old-west dialect coupled with sporadic bursts of chinese, (which are often used in moments of swearing or exclamation), are one of the most original parts of the film and allow for some truly poetic moments that reminded this viewer of shakespeare's masterful use of old language.
Just incase it's not clear - the film is in ENGLISH - just a different spin on it :) Take a chance on this movie, most of you will not be dissapointed - and if you aren't - tell all you friends about it! Thanks for listening....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sci-Fi Movie, 3 Mar 2006
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I have had a funny relationship with this movie and its predecessing series. I was interested in seeing the movie when it hit cinema's as i had read all the great reviews and liked the look of the movie. Due to commitments to work and university, i missed the movie on the cinema, which i was dissapointed about. I was shopping one day after the movie had gone off and saw the Firefly DVD for only twenty pounds. After much deliberating i decided to buy it, fancying something new. Needles to say i was skeptical when i put that first disc in and watched the pilot. But within 10 minutes of watching, i was enthralled, i couldnt stop watching it, and began to curse myself more and more for not seeing Serenity at the cinema. So i had to wait four months for the Serenity DVD to come out.
By the time i bought Serenity, i had watched each of the 14 Firefly episodes 3 times. So my expectations were fairly high for the movie, but, Serenity took my expectations and blew them into the black. The movie really is great, and you wouldnt have to have seen Firefly before it to enjoy it, though it would help with some character interactions.
Everything strong from the series is here, the characterisation (which is brilliant, you WILL love every character), humour, action (though it is bigger and better in the movie) acting, and the excellent music. The movie also has the unique ability to make you laugh out and cry at the same time.
It really is a great ride of a movie. The story focuses mostly on Mal and River and the secret River carries that is a threat the ruling government The Alliance. The cannibalistic Reavers(men who have grown wild on the edge of space and like to eat people alive) also play a big part in the story. There are some great action set pieces, from the hovercraft chase at the start, to the spectacular space battle between the Reavers and the Alliance, with Serenity in the middle, to the climactic stand off within a planetary facility.
This is a movie that should be seen by every Sci-fi fan around the world, and it at least warrants and rental from casual movie viewers. Highly recommended and one of the best movies from 2005.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect conclusion to it's maltreated small screen counterpart., 16 July 2007
Dave "musicman" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Loaded with the traditional Whedon wit, this is Sci-Fi with a soul and should be adored by all who watch it. But only if you've seen the T.V. series. I found this for 4 in a cheap shop and quickly realised that without a knowledge of Firefly this was going to be a very confusing two hours, so I bought it, and watched it, and loved it. Then I watched this, quite possibly the greatest Sci-Fi film in the history of all the things. Great performances, beautifully choreographed action sequences and some awfully shiny effects mix with a truly engaging story and some stunning direction.

To not immerse yourself in the Firefly universe is to do yourself a disservice. So don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serenity, 11 April 2006
K. Cutterbuck "Katie" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
A really well thought out and briliantly acted peice. I was delighted when I heard one of my favourite television shows was being made into a film and this does not disopoint.
Picking up strands from the tv show but still standing alone for those who haven't seen the show, Serenity's bleak and dark picture of what has become of Malcolm Reynold's life is gripping and edgy. You get sucked into these wonderful characters and you feel the danger and the pressure that they are under.
This is well worth watching and buying and rewatching over and over again because it never stops being funny and dramtic and dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Stuff, 14 Mar 2006
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
If you enjoy good Sci Fi you will love this. As soon as I finished I watched it immediately again.
The film fills in a lot of the gaps from the series and starts with River's escape from the Alliance and we finally ( after the series ) get to see her in action ( incredible fight scenes ).
Much more action than the series, much better sets though the film retains the gritty feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 hours of pure joy, 5 Mar 2006
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Sit back and be taken on a journey like no other. Anybody who can remember queuing in the rain to see the orignal Star Wars films, should watch Serenity and the original Firefly TV series. Unlike many of the current crop of sci-fi films, Serenity doesn't just focus of whizzy special effects (although there are some truelly outstanding examples of them in this film), it actually has a well thought out storyline, and great casting. If anybody is drawing up a list of films to see before they die, then Serenity should be on that list, it's that good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 361 | Next ›