Style Name: Stand Alone|Change

on 15 April 2014
Style Name: Stand Alone|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was fortunate enough to receive this free from Amazon to review.

I already have a Bosch Quigo laser level, which works well so I was interested to see how this smaller unit compares. I think they have their uses and for quick checks this unit works well - fits in a pocket and is fine for simple tasks. It comes with a tripod mount and is magnetic, so handy from that respect.

You cant easily mount it on a wall though without damaging the wall and it doesn't self level, which means a bit of fiddling. This limits it's use somewhat.

I think overall the best solution is having both - the Quigo can be a pain to set up, but it does level. The PLL is much more handy and portable, but it's only useful for some tasks and simple alignment.

If you're only going to get one device, I'd spend more money and get a Quigo or a PCL 10 over this device. They just offer more capability.
on 1 April 2015
In short, a bit of a disappointment for the purposes I wanted to use it. Largely, I admit, due to my not having used one of these before . I needed to lay some paving slabs and align some guttering. In the past I would have used a good old fashioned spirit level for the first job and a small watering can of water for the second but I thought a laser level would make these jobs easier.

First, the positives, the spot beam is of a good brightness, I can see the beam at a range of ??? metres outside on a hazy/bright day. Inside, no problems at all. The line beam is for internal use only really, and good and bright for that. The construction seems good enough for internal domestic use, more on this in a moment. Accuracy is fine for my purposes being as accurate as I can detect.

The downsides.

For me, the main problem was the laser level vials , they are only visible on one side of the level, this made setting it up surprisingly tricky compared with my old fashioned aluminium spirit level where the vials are easily visible from the top and both sides. This coupled with the slow moving bubbles meant that setting it up was a lengthy and irritating process.

I have not yet worn out the batteries in 3-4 hours of continuous use was always aware of the battery usage if I left it on as I worked, but turning it off and back on required the blessed thing to be re-leveled again.

When using the laser level outside, I became aware of how vulnerable a small lightly built piece on non-waterproof optoelectronics is compared with my old spirit level which has withstood years of sand, cement, water, drop testing and general abuse without a complaint. I am fairly sure the laser level would not tolerate that treatment

Another shortcoming I found for internal use is due to the layout of the vials. The level is optimised for casting a line along a wall or shining either a spot or a vertical beam across a room, but not a horizontal beam across a room which is what I wanted. It is possible by a two stage process of casting a spot across the room, marking the height and then moving the level to cast a line along a wall from the spot at which which the level is good.

I shall keep it as I should be able to use it for internal work such as decorating and so forth, but not what I was hoping for.

For information, the spot is about 4mm across, worth taking into account in your calculations.
on 24 March 2016
Good price, bad quality... Looks and feels good and once you realise it's restrictions is still a useful little gadget, (but incoming Quigo to do a proper aligning job). Why 2 stars then? Issue for me was that when I started trying it out the vertical line it produced seemed... well... Not vertical.

All was clear when I compared it to a old fashioned (but metal) spit it level, that the bulbs are wrongly set (see pics). It fact correcting for this error creates a nice vertical laser line. So basically not a lot of use for anything using the bulbs to level the Laser Spirit level.

The little holder was nice when used with a tripod, but for use on a wall they suggest you have a screw already in at a height that suits exactly where you would want to set a line. Better if it were some sort of suction cup attachment.

All in all its going back straight away. 2 stars for build quality and use as a laser pointer.
review image review image
Style Name: Stand Alone|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well made product. Essentially a small spirit level with two built in lasers (a dot to project across the room and a line to project along a flat wall). The wall mount seems like a bit of a clunky solution, but otherwise very accurate and easy to use.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 February 2014
Style Name: Stand Alone|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This level is a nice enough device for what it is. Having the choice of spot or line laser is a nice touch, and I can definitely see it coming in handy with the addition of a tripod (even a standard camera style tripod will do) for throwing levels along a wall. However, without a tripod, you're limited to sitting it flat on a table or screwing it to a wall. The former doesn't give you the ability to level it left to right to get the line level. The latter requires that you drill a hole in the wall and insert a screw or use an existing hole.

When I compare it to my truly indispensable Bosch PCL 10 at not even twice the price, which has a laser 'x' marker and auto-levelling, I have to say the latter is useful in more circumstances than the former, and far easier to use.

Having both is nice, and I can see myself using the PLL 1-P as something I can just carry around in my pocket for ad-hoc use or even just as a pointer, or when I need to run a line at an angle (the PCL10 can only scribe on the square) but the PCL 10 definitely wins the day for general levelling tasks.
on 20 June 2016
I recieved this as a present of Fathers Day and its great! No more struggling to make sure that two things are straight when drilling.

The item itself feels very solid and its very simple to use. Left side is laser line and right side is a laser point.

The level magnets to the bracket in one area just below the black area where it says Bosch.

The bracket is a bit odd it expects you to drill a hole and put a screw in to allow you to put it on the wall, I have tried with masking take and it worked fine.
on 9 April 2014
Style Name: Stand Alone|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a great fan of Bosch products on the whole. I have numerous DIY, Kitchen and garden products and have to persuaded that another make is definitely better before going elsewhere.

So this came as a bit of a disappointment. It is small and fiddly and I can’t work out quite why it was designed in the way it was.

It has 2 faces – a plain flat face, which I assumed acts as a spirit level with laser – but with a bubble only in one plane. There is no bubble to ensure the horizontal laser line is genuinely horizontal. The other face (at 90degrees) is a tripod mount, which has bubbles in 2 planes but the horizontal line is now (much less usefully) vertical. The tripod mount attaches to the level magnetically and quite firmly enough – a clever touch.

But on the whole, relatively poorly thought out to my way of thinking and useable but rather much less useful than it might have been. Another reviewer may persuade me I’m using it all wrong and if so I’d be glad to know.
on 8 June 2014
This is very handy product, if you are obsess with lining up or symmetry you should definitely get this and the quality is the Bosh quality.
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2014
Style Name: Stand Alone|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pretty compact device that can be used as a standard level (horizontal or vertical) or a laser device.

The laser has two options, it can project a dot or a line.
Both options are useful and allow easy marking of single or multiple points on a line.
The mount it comes with needs a tripod to make best use of, otherwise you'd need to find convenient wall fixing such as an existing screw.

It seems pretty well made as one would expect of Bosch, and I think this is a very useful addition to my toolkit.
on 29 February 2016
Fair play to Bosch, I've been using this level and a few of their laser measures for a while now, and they've got this down well. Great level, the line feature blew some chippies minds when I demonstrated its abilities to draw a clean screw-line from one end of a 24000mm board to another. It's great. Love it, would buy another if I needed 2 levels...