5.0 out of 5 stars Great light colour and easy replacement for halogen GU10s
Both my wife and I used to work for Philips Lighting and know the extend they go to design and test their lighting products. They consider safety, ease of use and performance to specification as a minimum requirement, not a bonus. We no longer work for that company but I would be hard pushed to settle with less than a Philips Lighting product.

We have moved...
Published 18 months ago by Mr. A. Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars A truly retrofit LED halogen equivalent
Published 21 months ago by McStick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light colour and easy replacement for halogen GU10s, 5 Oct. 2013
Mr. A. Scott (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips GU10 5-50 Watt/ 2700 K LED Corepro Spotlight (Kitchen & Home)

We have moved into our new home recently which had almost 100 halogen spots in the ceilings around the house and thus are replacing them room by room to reduce our energy costs. These 5W replacements are superb! They fit our existing fittings perfectly and the lighting colour matches better than expected (we like and wanted warm white light). Just be careful to note that these are are not designed for dimming.

Perhaps I am still biased because I used to work the company that sell these but I cannot praise these products enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars A truly retrofit LED halogen equivalent, 4 Aug. 2013
McStick (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried many LED equivalent GU10 (and indeed Compact Fluorescent) bulbs in the past, all of which have been described as retrofit. And while this may have been true to some extent in that they can be used interchangeably, the bulbs always extended out beyond the end of the lamp holder by up to 1cm, and this quite frankly, looked terrible. However, with these bulbs, Philips have mastered the size perfectly and they fit perfectly into the existing lamp holders. Therefore, for this reason alone, if I was considering replacing all my halogen bulbs, the Philips GU10 LEDs are the only replacements I would now consider. Having said that, the technology does not come cheap.

Each bulb will save 45 watts (per hour) of power, and it appears that the generally accepted yearly usage of a light bulb is around 1,000 hours. Therefore, the total saving over the course of a year is 45,000 watts or 45kW/h (i.e. units of power). My electricity costs around 16p a unit, therefore the total annual saving is approximately £7. Based on the current retail price of £25, the bulbs would have paid for themselves in just over three and a half years, but should still have a lifespan at that stage of 36.5 years. This would suggest a cost saving (assuming the bulb does indeed last 40,000 hours) of £255 per bulb (This doesn't even include the cost saving of replacing a halogen bulb up to 20 times over this time period). Hence replacing the bulbs would be worthwhile exercise, but the upfront cost would be massive.

The bulbs also come in various colours and beam angles. This particular version has a warm white colour which is equivalent to normal halogen bulbs. However, while it says it is equivalent to a 50 watt Halogen, it is noticably duller, therefore would never consider replacing them with these. Instead, I would much prefer the 6 watt, warm white colour in the MASTER range and would buy that version over this bulb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasts 20,000 hours...I hope!, 17 Sept. 2013
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have long been fed up of the cost of replacing the spotlights in my kitchen. I was even considering changing the light fitting so that I wouldn't have to keep replacing them! You can, then, imagine my joy at the idea of such a long-lasting bulb. Hoorah for a bulb that claims to last 20,000 hours. I have, of course, been unable to test the life length of the bulb, so instead I shall tell you other notable points.

The bulb is packaged well, and the packaging is relatively easily removed. The spotlight goes into the fitting very easily, and at literally the flick of a switch the light is fully on. It does not gradually get up to maximum light, but simply comes on at full power. The light is not glaringly bright, and has a nice warm note to it, whilst still providing enough lighting to do food preparation.

If the bulb lasts as long as has been reported, then I will be a very happy woman. I have no way of predicting the future, but if the bulb really lasts that long then it is good to think of a bit less electricity being used. If we all did this, then I am sure it would be a step in the right direction, and perhaps a little money saved too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a perfect 50W halogen replacement, 6 Nov. 2013
I ordered six of these LED lamps, as replacements for 50W halogens, to illuminate a kitchen area. The lamps appear well made, all six have equal brightness and colour temperature, suggesting good quality control. However, as halogen replacements I'm a little disappointed with these for the following reasons:

First, they're not by any means as bright as the 50W halogens that they replaced in my room. As I'm using six of these in a relatively small area, the difference is very noticeable. Illuminated surfaces are at least 30% darker in my case. This lamp is perhaps more suited to directional light applications than to a general space lighting one like mine.

Second, the lamps are 54mm long; 4mm longer than typical halogen GU10s. In my case they're installed in recessed ceiling fittings that accommodate 50mm lamps. These LEDs now protrude a couple of millimetres below the fitting.

Third, the metal bezel around the lamp is finished with high gloss white paint which makes it stand out a bit. With my white ceilings and off-white fittings it's just about acceptable, but if you've coloured fittings or fittings with a metal finish where the lamp is visible then it would be advisable to get just one of these initially to see if you can live with their appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually bright enough!, 4 Nov. 2013
S. Morley - See all my reviews
These seem to be very close in terms of light output to the 50W halogens I replaced; the beam seems a little narrower and the colour temp is ever so slightly cooler (which I don't mind - I would have happily had "cool white" ones rather than "warm white" if they were as cheap). They're also using only 10% of the power and don't cook my head when I stand under them. Still expensive compared to halogen bulbs but the best buy around for LED GU10 bulbs (£8 a pop when I bought them) and they should last a lot longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good colour and lighting but white surrround is distracting when unlit, 2 Nov. 2013
Bought to replace 8 halogens in kitchen - best fit and colour and light spread that I have found - only problem is the colour of the white surrouind on the face of bulb. If this was metallic (i.e chrome/steel) it would match the fittings and would be ideal. PHAve put expansion on hold until I can get something aesthetically better fro my fittings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light but .., 31 Aug. 2013
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not keen on the design of this, it sticks out like a sore thumb from the lighting unit the bright white of its casing is too conspicuous

4.0 out of 5 stars Energy saving, offering a very long life, but not necessarily to everyone's taste..., 14 Aug. 2013
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Mater LED spot MV LED bulb is a standard sized dimmable spotlight bulb that utilises LED technology for a much longer lasting and more energy efficient bulb.

Indeed, the packaging claims that the bulbs save up to a whopping 90% on its energy costs compared with a run-of-the-mill '50W Essential Twistline' bulb (i.e. a standard halogen one).

This badboy also offers an average of 20,000 hours of use. It runs at just 5W, but is certainly bright enough. Actually, it seems to be quite a bit brighter than your standard spotlight bulb - and it comes on straight away - unlike the energy saving ones which seem to take forever to illuminate fully.

Personally I really like the brightness that this bulb offers. However, my wife is far from convinced. It seems like a personal preference thing. My wife says the light that comes off the bulb seems very cold and fake. However, as I said, I like it.

So, with this in mind, before investing what could amount to quite a lot, in order to replace all your existing bulbs with fancy new LED ones, it might be worth checking that you're happy with light it gives off first. Because apparently it's not to everyone's taste!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A light to lighten everyone., 21 May 2013
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't sure if this bulb would fit my lamp-holder (a 4-bulb affair) but it was as easy as wink to remove the old bulb and put this one into place. Switch on and the light is immediate, there's no waiting for warm-up. The bulb gives a warm, quite gentle light (I don't mean weak, I mean not blinding) ideal for dining rooms, sitting rooms and bedrooms. The information with the bulb tells me it saves considerably on electricity usage (up to 80%) and has a life of around 20,000 hours burning time. I shan't be making any notes but that sounds a lot of time to me.

It's true, these bulbs are not cheap but I think they are excellent value because they save so much electricity and last so long. It looks smart, it gives a lovely light and I'm happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent halogen replacement, 16 Sept. 2014
Excellent LED bulb, a little more expensive than others but the colour temperature is the closest to Halogen I have found (2700K bulbs). Beam angle is a little narrower than I would have liked, a definite spot light rather than a flood, but look great in the recessed ceiling fittings I used. It is just a pity Philips have discontinued these and have a new version that isn't available in white.