5.0 out of 5 stars A very good monitor from Dell
This monitor was an upgrade from my Dell U2711 27" TFT monitor which was fine.
The first thing I noticed on delivery was the size of the box. It was so much smaller, I thought I had been delivered the wrong item, this was despite the fact that Amazon had placed the package in an additional box for transit.
Unlike the U2711 the stand required fitting to the...
Published 7 months ago by A. A. Jones

Published 15 months ago by Freeman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good monitor from Dell, 24 April 2014
A. A. Jones "A A Jones" (Stockton on Tees, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27" Widescreen LED Monitor, 2560 x 1440, HDMI, DVI-DL, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, USB 3.0, 1000:1, 6ms, Black, High Colour Gamut and Depth (Accessory)
This monitor was an upgrade from my Dell U2711 27" TFT monitor which was fine.
Unlike the U2711 the stand required fitting to the monitor. This was just a snap-in procedure, and because the monitor being so much lighter, it was a very simple task.
I connected the monitor using the supplied DVI cable and existing power cable, I have no requirement for the card reader or USB ports, Windows 7 loaded the driver and retained my 2560X1440 resolution. Various other cables and a software disk were supplied which I chose not to use.
Easily adjustable in every way the monitor appears bright and responsive. I cannot offer any technical appraisal, but I am more than happy with the monitor and it's a good choice. I find it a slight bonus that I have a bit more space available than previously. Amazon was able to supply the monitor considerably cheaper than going to Dell directly I might add.

5.0 out of 5 stars This monitor is just for photographer who print their photos, 8 Nov 2014
This is a message for those buying this monitor for 'general use only'

Do not buy this for watching youtube videos or for playing video games, You'll should buy dell ultrasharp monitors with the letter M at the end for media. for example U2713HM. The 5 star reviews there explains the same message about NOT getting a U2713H.

You are just tossing money at a functionality you'll never use.
If you are a photographer who mainly publish on the web you too are tossing money away. 99% of the population do not use wide gamut screens and have the video cards required to support it. What you fine tune on this monitor will look very different from a consumer monitor. It's better to tune photos with what you're main audiences use.

This monitor is only good for photographers who print their photos with printers and publishers that have wide gamut colour printers. That's it. A calibration device is not necessary. Publishers will let you print the 1st set free and when you receive your photos, change the color settings to best match it. Take colour accuracy to the next level and buy a color swatch with a grey card. Take your first photo with the colour swatch /grey card, this way you'll match real life colours with the monitor then finally with the printed photo. This is maximising the color accuracy you're paying for. Nowadays with intagram - like filters, colour accuracy is no longer important.

There is no further gain from having high gamut, in fact the colours might even seem weird to you because you're eyes are so use to what 'cheaper' monitors look like.

At this price range:
There are monitors with higher frame rates, which are better for video games and videos.
There are monitors with 4k resolution.
You can buy a high end TV and use it as a monitor.

I gave it 5 stars because it is sufficient for my work. What comes out of the printers looks very close to what I see on the monitor without costing me £1k for an Eizo. I spent the other £500 on a canon L lens instead or paid for the transport that got me up close to a lion in a Zambian Safari.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most accurate colours on a monitor you can get., 20 Jun 2013
Ok it's not a Mac retina screen which has a gloss surface which automatically makes things look sharper. Having said that when I bring an image up in Photoshop this beast comes into its own. There's a calibration tool which you can set up in the taskbar so makes it accessible without having to reduce Photoshop. My only niggle is for the price tag of £550 approx I think they could have made a better stand and screen surround, but it's not a deal breaker. The extra USB sockets on the side are useful and the connectivity options on the underside are well thought out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 21 Jan 2014
I love this monitor. I've got a 27" Apple Thunderbolt monitor at work, but I much prefer this.

Main reason is the reflective screen! There are times during the day at work when I can't bear to look at the screen because it's so reflective.

I'll admit the colours on the Apple monitor are much richer, and this has a bit of a motion blur effect going on when you scroll quickly, but this is also half the price!

If you can't decide between the two, I'd say get this, save the money, and enjoy the non-reflective coating.

Note for Mac users:

My Mac, when I connected it with DisplayPort, put the monitor into YPbPr mode - which is UGLY. To get it looking great, you need to switch it into RGB mode. The difference is amazing! If you're seeing blurry text, or a kind-of yellow/red shadow around elements on screen, you'll need to visit the following site and follow the instructions:
[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Color, but poor uniformity and terrible backlight leaking. Disappoint with Dell, 7 Aug 2013
The first U2713H I have ordered has REV 02 made in April 2013. The colour of this monitor is great, after calibration by I1 display pro, it has average detal 94 0.34, Max Gray Scale 1.14, Max Chromatic colors 0.59. However the uniformity is awful. the centre has color temp 6500k, the top left corner has color temp 6282k and the bottom right corner has color temp 6784 k, Also each corner has very bad backlight leaking. Therefore I have ordered another one which has REV 01 made in Nov 2012, guess what it's even worse than the first one. Returned both of the monitors and going to try something else :(. Hope Dell can improve their quality control in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Response Time Compensation makes high contrast moving content display severe overshoot, 14 Aug 2013
B. King (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to keep this monitor (Revision A03), but in the end couldn't bring myself to it.

Pros:
- The display is nice and sharp with its ~100ppi.
- The colours are beautiful and makes working in Lightroom and Photoshop a joy. Very good for Adobe RGB colour space work.
- Anti glare coating is almost undetectable but still does a good job.
- Connectivity is great and USB 3 ports and card reader are nice addition
- Contrast ratio even when calibrated gives good deep blacks and bright whites/highlights.
- Menu system is very well put together.
- Stand is very configurable and sturdy.

Cons:
- The hardware calibration using i1 Display Pro doesn't seem to provide as good a profile as the i1 Profile software or ArgyllCMS.
- The automatic mode switching is quite a jarring experience, can be disabled but the flickering colours when switching from Standard to CAL1 or Adobe RGB quite unpleasant. I would prefer the screen to go blank for a second to the way it currently works.
- And my major issue. The RTC used in this causes overshoot with high contrast images being moved, especially text on white backgrounds, so many web pages blur and leave dark ghostly trails when pages are moved or content scrolled. My 5-6 year old NEC 24" 24WMGX3 monitor looks better than this "professional" monitor in this area.

This video review (by Menacing Tuba) highlights the issue - [...]
In the end I couldn't get over the overshoot problem. Almost everything else with this monitor was perfect. Other monitors using the same panel (LG) have adjustments for RTC but not Dell, and support forums have a confirmation that they won't look at adding this in. I will perhaps consider the LG equivalent screen, or perhaps a PLS Samsung screen. But the Dell at this price with its problem doesn't constitute an adequate upgrade for the money from my existing monitor. If Dell fixes the overshoot in newer firmware or new revision of the monitor then I might consider another look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 17 Aug 2013
Great monitor, went from a Dell 2408wfp to one of these, huge difference in the colour depth and general picture sharpness.
I've left it on the factory calibration (even though I do have a calibrator myself) as it looks spot on for me.
Films look absolutely fantastic and extra screen space is great for day to day work as well.

I did go through quite a few reviews for it before purchasing. There were a couple of complaints about input lag and response times but I haven't seen any of these issues; the screen I received was an A04 rev so maybe Dell have done a bit of tweaking since that review.

There were a lot of reviews I found but the one done by TFT central, I found, was the most in depth. ([...]

Its a stunning monitor, glad I went for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Sep 2014
This is great monitor for power graphic user. But it is a littile bit hard to calibrate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Quality, 27 May 2013
Craig Ferguson "C. Ferguson" (Middlesbrough, Cleveland, England) - See all my reviews
I was initially wary about purchasing another Dell product. I must say though, the screen quality is amazing. The size is super and the mechanics around the stand make this a super purchase! Okay, its a monitor and yes it is extremely expensive for one. But, as a photographer my prints need to be exact to the screen image and from getting this out the box they were and still are!

The screen menu is easy to use and its a nice touch having colour.

2560 x 1440 is amazing.

BUY ONE NOW, YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate letdown, 14 Oct 2013
This Monitor has all the right in ingredients, however the execution by Dell is poor to say the least.

The Good:
- All the connectivity you could wish for, including SD card reader and DP 1.2 support.
- Solid build quality
- Wide Color Gammut

The Bad:
- Non uniform backlight, varys from device to device. Mine was ok, collegue had a horrible one.
- Display stand is not stiff enough to hold back the force of pressing the power button with a single finger.

The Horrible:
- Response Time Compensation / Overdrive cannot be disabled and it is set to extreme levels. What does that mean ? It means that while doing menial tasks such as scrolling black text on a white background will result in the black text trailing blue and green halos, courtesy of the blue and green backlight. Want to move a window ? That results in considerable ghosting.

The Verdict:
Gamers may like this monitor because the ghosting is barely noticable in games. People who only want to display static images can hardly go wrong.
However this monitor and its features are aimed towards, dare i say it, professionals, and at least for me the screen was a pain to look at.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›