5.0 out of 5 stars A very good monitor from Dell
This monitor was an upgrade from my Dell U2711 27" TFT monitor which was fine.
The first thing I noticed on delivery was the size of the box. It was so much smaller, I thought I had been delivered the wrong item, this was despite the fact that Amazon had placed the package in an additional box for transit.
Unlike the U2711 the stand required fitting to the...
Published 2 months ago by A. A. Jones

Published 11 months ago by Freeman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good monitor from Dell, 24 April 2014
A. A. Jones "A A Jones" (Stockton on Tees, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27" Widescreen LED Monitor, 2560 x 1440, HDMI, DVI-DL, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, USB 3.0, 1000:1, 6ms, Black, High Colour Gamut and Depth (Accessory)
This monitor was an upgrade from my Dell U2711 27" TFT monitor which was fine.
Unlike the U2711 the stand required fitting to the monitor. This was just a snap-in procedure, and because the monitor being so much lighter, it was a very simple task.
I connected the monitor using the supplied DVI cable and existing power cable, I have no requirement for the card reader or USB ports, Windows 7 loaded the driver and retained my 2560X1440 resolution. Various other cables and a software disk were supplied which I chose not to use.
Easily adjustable in every way the monitor appears bright and responsive. I cannot offer any technical appraisal, but I am more than happy with the monitor and it's a good choice. I find it a slight bonus that I have a bit more space available than previously. Amazon was able to supply the monitor considerably cheaper than going to Dell directly I might add.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Color, but poor uniformity and terrible backlight leaking. Disappoint with Dell, 7 Aug 2013
The first U2713H I have ordered has REV 02 made in April 2013. The colour of this monitor is great, after calibration by I1 display pro, it has average detal 94 0.34, Max Gray Scale 1.14, Max Chromatic colors 0.59. However the uniformity is awful. the centre has color temp 6500k, the top left corner has color temp 6282k and the bottom right corner has color temp 6784 k, Also each corner has very bad backlight leaking. Therefore I have ordered another one which has REV 01 made in Nov 2012, guess what it's even worse than the first one. Returned both of the monitors and going to try something else :(. Hope Dell can improve their quality control in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 21 Jan 2014
I love this monitor. I've got a 27" Apple Thunderbolt monitor at work, but I much prefer this.

Main reason is the reflective screen! There are times during the day at work when I can't bear to look at the screen because it's so reflective.

I'll admit the colours on the Apple monitor are much richer, and this has a bit of a motion blur effect going on when you scroll quickly, but this is also half the price!

If you can't decide between the two, I'd say get this, save the money, and enjoy the non-reflective coating.

Note for Mac users:

My Mac, when I connected it with DisplayPort, put the monitor into YPbPr mode - which is UGLY. To get it looking great, you need to switch it into RGB mode. The difference is amazing! If you're seeing blurry text, or a kind-of yellow/red shadow around elements on screen, you'll need to visit the following site and follow the instructions:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most accurate colours on a monitor you can get., 20 Jun 2013
Ok it's not a Mac retina screen which has a gloss surface which automatically makes things look sharper. Having said that when I bring an image up in Photoshop this beast comes into its own. There's a calibration tool which you can set up in the taskbar so makes it accessible without having to reduce Photoshop. My only niggle is for the price tag of 550 approx I think they could have made a better stand and screen surround, but it's not a deal breaker. The extra USB sockets on the side are useful and the connectivity options on the underside are well thought out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Response Time Compensation makes high contrast moving content display severe overshoot, 14 Aug 2013
B. King (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to keep this monitor (Revision A03), but in the end couldn't bring myself to it.

Pros:
- The display is nice and sharp with its ~100ppi.
- The colours are beautiful and makes working in Lightroom and Photoshop a joy. Very good for Adobe RGB colour space work.
- Anti glare coating is almost undetectable but still does a good job.
- Connectivity is great and USB 3 ports and card reader are nice addition
- Contrast ratio even when calibrated gives good deep blacks and bright whites/highlights.
- Menu system is very well put together.
- Stand is very configurable and sturdy.

Cons:
- The hardware calibration using i1 Display Pro doesn't seem to provide as good a profile as the i1 Profile software or ArgyllCMS.
- The automatic mode switching is quite a jarring experience, can be disabled but the flickering colours when switching from Standard to CAL1 or Adobe RGB quite unpleasant. I would prefer the screen to go blank for a second to the way it currently works.
- And my major issue. The RTC used in this causes overshoot with high contrast images being moved, especially text on white backgrounds, so many web pages blur and leave dark ghostly trails when pages are moved or content scrolled. My 5-6 year old NEC 24" 24WMGX3 monitor looks better than this "professional" monitor in this area.

This video review (by Menacing Tuba) highlights the issue - [...]
In the end I couldn't get over the overshoot problem. Almost everything else with this monitor was perfect. Other monitors using the same panel (LG) have adjustments for RTC but not Dell, and support forums have a confirmation that they won't look at adding this in. I will perhaps consider the LG equivalent screen, or perhaps a PLS Samsung screen. But the Dell at this price with its problem doesn't constitute an adequate upgrade for the money from my existing monitor. If Dell fixes the overshoot in newer firmware or new revision of the monitor then I might consider another look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Quality, 27 May 2013
Craig Fryer "C. Fryer" (Middlesbrough, Cleveland, England) - See all my reviews
I was initially wary about purchasing another Dell product. I must say though, the screen quality is amazing. The size is super and the mechanics around the stand make this a super purchase! Okay, its a monitor and yes it is extremely expensive for one. But, as a photographer my prints need to be exact to the screen image and from getting this out the box they were and still are!

The screen menu is easy to use and its a nice touch having colour.

2560 x 1440 is amazing.

BUY ONE NOW, YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good points, 17 Jun 2014
Bought June 2014. I do not have the motion blur effects, but I do have the automatic mode switching effects (I now have it in manual mode). I don't know if the stand has been modified, but I find it quite adequate - it is solid with plenty of vertical and tilt adjustment. It works well with my Mac laptop (1GB video memory) at full resolution (but only with displayport cable not via HDMI adaptor), but my Windows laptop (2GB video memory) via HDMI cable only supports 1920x1080. The problem is that my video card (AMD Radeon 7650M) only goes up to 1920x1080; so you need to check that your computer has a suitable video card. I do not have colour calibration equipment so I have had to alter colour etc by eye. Eventually I have found that for my Windows laptop that I select sRGB, Mac gamma (2.2), and increase the brightness/contrast from 50%/50% to 75%/75%. Out of the box everything was too vivid with skin tones being particularly unacceptable and quite dark when compared with my previous monitor (HP).
Nevertheless this monitor is capable of being very good and should be given consideration as a suitable purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st class monitor, 1 Jun 2014
Great monitor Sharp colours Excellent USB connection Does everything I want from a monitor Highly recommended Good price too That's it

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality display, 13 May 2014
I picked up one of these recently as an upgrade to my previous 24" monitor. My example was "refurbished" - it has a couple of tiny purple patches on the screen which only show when the screen is black but not with any other colour. I can't really echo any of the "con's" here - the display base is flat with a plastic outer case over a heavy alloy interior and the stand itself simply clips to the monitor. The software and drivers installed without a problem and the screen controls are easy to use. The display itself is great , very much sharper and more colourful than my previous Benq monitor which was a TN panel. 27 inches is a nice size too - I had been looking at a 29 inch 21:9 monitor but I am pushed for space so 27 is big enough without being overwhelming.
The only con was the printed instructions which are utterly useless, a scrap of paper more or less.
I have to say that I wouldn't pay full price for one of these as the new 4K monitors are appearing in that price range, but for the time being I am very happy.
PS the screen was set to 75% brightness when I installed but I reduced this to 50% and it is still very bright!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great display, poor compatibility., 12 April 2014
A. Durling (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
I've always valued the benefit of a good display, and I have always bought the best I can afford. Price / performance wise I am happy. The color reproduction looks great to my eye, and the display itself performs really well for my purposes (I am not a gamer though, so can't comment about that).

I am driving this display with a Mac Mini (2012) and a Dell Precision M4700. I thought the monitor was perfectly suited to the Mac - it even comes with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable - Ideal for the Mac Mini (or so I thought).

Actually the supplied cable did not work with the Mac Mini. I think the cable works in the wrong direction (i.e. DP -> mDP), which is fine if you're driving it from something with a standard DP output. Anyhow - I bought a replacement cable and am pleased to report that the Mac Mini works fine with the U2713H.

The M4700 is another story. I purchased a standard DisplayPort cable, as I wanted to use a separate input. The monitor fails to wake from sleep, sometimes the computer fails to even get the the POST stage of the boot process, and from time to time the monitor will just go black, then into power save mode right in the middle of me working. Obviously, you would expect compatibility to be flawless going from a Dell machine to a Dell monitor, but it is not. I put up with these issues, but I'm not happy. If I didn't have to use the Dell machine, I would be blissfully ignorant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›