Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 August 2013
I've seen Theme Park live a couple of times and enjoyed them enormously on both occasions. The last time I was struck by how much more confident they seemed and that they really seemed like a band destined for great things.

Sadly, it seems they acquit themselves rather less well on record. Their debut CD seems to be hurriedly recorded, under-produced and poorly mixed. The vocals, in particular, tend to be frustratingly buried in the mix or unforgivingly over-exposed leaving the record seeming more like a demo than the finished article.

All this said, after a few listens familiarity renders the mix less jarring and the quality of the tracks rises to the surface. At this point there are more hits than misses - I particularly enjoy "Jamaica", "Tonight", "Wax" and "Ghosts" balanced by "Los Chikas" which shows the poor vocal mix of the attempted Beach Boys harmonies at its weakest.

Hopefully the budget for the next Theme Park record will allow them to make a more polished CD. For now this record, whilst enjoyable, does nothing to capture the charm and energy of the band's live performances, which is a real shame.
on 8 March 2013
I first saw Theme Park play in Hoxton last autumn and have been hooked since. This debut album is very good but it could have been a world beater! I just feel that songs like Two Hours and Jamaica have been overcooked in the studio and they seem to have lost their va va voom! Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is a bad song on the album and I would definitely recommend that you buy the album but because of the production some of the songs sound a little bit tinny.
on 26 April 2013
Really wicked album and one of the best bands I have seen live this year!! Worth every penny & definitely worth seeing if you get the chance.
on 24 August 2013
Bought it after a recommendation from a friend who saw them at Latitude and thought I would like it. He was right - difficult to liken their sound to anyone in particular. Synthesised pop/disco sounds too 80's. Maybe Hot Chip fans would like them - less dance than HC. Not as hard hitting as Shiny Toy Guns. La Roux, not as blatantly danceable. If anyone remembers Friends Again from the 80s, maybe a bit like them. If any of those bands strike a chord with you, give these guys a try.
on 20 May 2013
An excellent first album with a number of fantastic tracks. I cannot det some of the molodies out of my head.
on 24 August 2013
Listened to it a couple of times. Catchy straight off, and very happy melodies, but not much of a grower.
Goooooood album