Published 15 months ago by AM

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned to due lack of functionality
Firstly a NO NO from Amazon. I purchased a NEW router. They send me a returns. How did I know? Well the CD had the contact number for SKY helpline written on the back of it & the router had configuration setting that were not factory default. So this was returned to Amazon for a NEW one.

Second one arrived -

I purchased this to replace a 10 year old...
Published 14 months ago by PW98

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly easy installation (by a computer novice) on Virgin National Broadband. Working brilliantly., 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TD-W8980 - N600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router (Personal Computers)
I needed to replace the original Netgear router that I got from Virgin National services back in 1997 as it kept needing to be reset all the time and had a poor signal upstairs despite using a Huwaei wifi repeater. I had been plucking up courage to do it for many weeks, as I have very little computer knowledge and was worried about getting to the point of no return, messing up all my settings, spending hours on the phone to a helpline and being without internet access until I could pay someone to sort out the mess. Virgin had offered to replace my router for about £50 (with a model selling for under £20 on Amazon, with none of the features of this W8980 N600) and frightened me a little bit by saying that they would not be able to offer me any help or support if I chose to go for a diy approach. After reading lots of reviews about this modem and finding it to be significantly cheaper that an equivalent Netgear box, I finally took the plunge. I set aside a whole day to do it but I needn't have been so worried.
It was so incredibly easy to set it up. From taking it out of the box to connecting all our devices (2 iMacs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 sky box, 1 apple tv and 1 printer), it took me just over an hour. After reading the instructions that came in the box, I printed out the required settings from the Virgin National website and then basically just replaced the wires from the old Netgear box into the corresponding places on the TP link router and waited. The lights started flashing almost straight away and it all looked just as it ought to according to the instructions. I had a heart sink moment when I failed to connect to the TP link router website but as it turned out, I was still using an Airport Express box and once I took that out of the system it connected just fine. Set up was so straightforward I amazed myself at the speed of it. I now have great wifi in the house and can watch Sky on demand without problems, and the printer works wirelessly for both Macs for the first time ever. I am still using the wifi repeater (because it was already in place) and needed to reset it back to factory settings by sticking a pin in it before I could connect to it. However I now get excellent wifi coverage upstairs. I have not written a review for Amazon before but decided to do so on this occasion as it was reading other people's reviews that persuaded me to buy this router and I'm very glad I did. I also wanted to reassure people who are on the Virgin National Broadband service that this router is compatible and it's really fantastic. No more dropped signals. I don't know anything about broadband speeds and found some of the reviews a bit too technical for me but I can say that it's very fast and to date (I've been using it for 4 weeks) very reliable. Hope this review helps someone else make up their mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for standard BT supplied home hub., 13 Feb. 2014
I had encountered problems with the standard issue BT Home Hub after purchasing a tablet. I began to notice more and more that I would intermittently lose the wireless signal for no reason. After a little googling I discovered that this was a common problem with the Home Hub, something that is not mentioned in the advertising for BT broadband funnily enough...

I was a little apprehensive about which router I should get as a replacement. I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable about IT, but the options on offer were quite diverse and somewhat mind boggling. I eventually opted for this router and it's been everything I hoped for.

The installation of the device itself could not have been more straight-forward. Simply transferring over the cables was all that was necessary physically. I needed to supply a user name and password, but the generic "userATbtbroadbandDOTcom", with a password of "bt", was all that it needed. All other settings were set to the defaults that I needed. It was supper simple to set up the network names and passwords.

After a week of heavy testing, with two tablets streaming right across the house, I've not had a single issue with disconnections, or drop in quality or stuttering. The wifi is as rock solid as it can get. The router has been silently doing its thing for days without a single problem, which was unheard of a few weeks ago. If anything my connection speed seems to have increased. All of BT's TV services are completely unaffected by the change.

My only regret about my purchase of this router is that I didn't do it ages ago. If you have a BT broadband contract and are having issues with the wifi you're getting from your Home Hub, I cannot recommend highly enough that you get the TD-W8980 as a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, 19 May 2014
Captain Awesome (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used quite a few routers and although brands like Belkin and Netgear seem to be better known, TP-Link have become my personal choice. Why? Simply, they offer very high quality, reliable products at reasonable prices. As this is a high-end model, it is in the £60 range, but I've played with some of their £30 routers previously and been very impressed.
Truthfully, the only router OEM who is more interesting to me right now is ASUS, simply because some of their routers are gorgeous, thin and imaginatively created pieces of hardware bordering on art. Naturally though, those devices carry a premium.

Anyway, to this particular product.
It might sound like a bit of a cop-out but it does what it says on the tin; the three antennae give you great coverage and speed and it just works, reliably.

Obviously, paying in the £60 range you're getting some features that the £30 or so routers typically lack.
Dual-band capacity is the key feature for me. I could go on about it on a technical level, but what it means in real world use is that other devices using the more widespread, filled up band (2.4GHz) won't interfere with your smartphone or other Wi-Fi device and your speeds won't drop through the floor if you have it near a working microwave. That happened to me plenty in the past with a cheap router, but dual-band (and a phone that can utilise the 5GHz band) eliminates it. Devices that support it can also use both bands simultaneously for faster speeds, which again is something cheaper routers tend to not have.

Really, you're paying for a couple of features like the dual-band compatibility here. If you're on a tight budget, I'd suggest looking at some of TP-Link's other routers as they really are good for the price. However, if you can afford this and want a good connection that won't screw up on you while you're trying to load a site or app on your device, things like dual-band and gigabit ethernet are well worth the premium over their cheaper hardware offerings. Happy shopping!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, dual band is also a bonus, 16 Oct. 2013
W. H. J. Yip ""squodge photography"" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I'm reviewing the W8980 N600 - as all 4 routers seem to use the same review sections.

I bought this bad boy to replace my existing BT Home Hub, which was starting to "blob out" on me. Don't know what blobbing out is? Well, you know when you get that amber blob in the wireless icon in your system tray? That's blobbing out. And it's annoying - it means endless resetting of the BT Home Hub, and it's apparently caused by interference from other radio waves.

Anyway, the important thing is - does this router work well? Yes! Here's why...

1. When you take the router out the box, there's a big sticker covering the ethernet ports instructing you to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and use the CD.
2. I popped the CD in my laptop, and followed the flash animation which tells me what to plug where - everything went smoothly.
3. Then the next screen came up, with lots of data to fill in. I used setting suggested by another reviewer: they didn't work.

4. After some quick Googling (with a 3G dongle!), I found settings that worked perfectly (I'm on BT Broadband, if you didn't already guess).

The settings you're need for BT Broadband are:
* user name: broadband.user@btbroadband.com
* password: [none required]
* choose for the remaining settings: PPPoA / VC Mux / VPI=0 [zero] / VCI=38
* network name: whatever you like, I called mine Godzilla 2.4 and Godzilla 5 (for each of the two bands)
* network password: the default password is filled in (also on bottom of router), or you can choose your own

5. Input those settings, click Next - and you wait about 1-2 minutes, and you're connected. Easy, breezy, lemon squeezy!

The 5GHz band can be picked up by newer gadgets - apparently that means the latest laptops, tablets, and iGadgets.
I've not used the 2 USB ports, but apparently it's easy enough to stick a printer and hard drive to be shared by all.

All in all, a great purchase. The internet hasn't blobbed out on me at all: RESULT!
By the way, this router can be used in many countries with various different ISP providers.

ADDENDUM:
The software on the CD (which you SHOULD use!) gives a drop down list of ISP providers for your country.
In reality, this router can probably be used with practically any ISP provider in any country with the correct settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADSL Modem Router, 17 Aug. 2013
The modem-router is an excellent product and highly recommended.

After setting up it has operated faultlessly without any ADSL drop-outs. Data transfer speed (both cabled and wireless) is very impressive. The dual frequency bands provide two separate wireless connections, effectively doubling wi-fi capacity.

The only minus point - the 5 GHz signal does not propagate as well as the 2.4 GHz signal, particularly through walls. However, the shorter range of the higher frequency is a natural phenomena and not a fault of the modem-router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for Talk Talk fibre router, 3 Mar. 2014
This is a great product, but you will need to call the TP link helpline to get it set up if you are using it to replace your Talk Talk fibre router (as I did). Talk Talk do not officially support this router and will try and tell you that it won't work (in truth, they just don't know how to set it up.) The TP helpline were brilliant - had it up and running in a few minutes.
Soooo much better than the crappy router that Talk Talk supply to their customers!!!!!!
Just buy it (I did the research - and this was the best for the price bracket)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stable, better range, dual bandwidth is heaven, 12 April 2013
This product is worth the price. Splitting 600 Mbps bandwidth into 2 stable 300 Mbps bands is exactly what most homes need. Emails and slow traffic can coincide with older devices and the B,G,N wireless ranges. Streaming movies, music, iPlayer, etc can be banded to the exclusive N wireless band. Genius!

4.0 out of 5 stars For situations where more power is needed, 27 Sept. 2013
My house is made of stone and has thick walls so needs a stronger signal and this system did the trick. Following the instructions I was bale to connect to the Internet reasonably quickly. Also, as it has WPS functionality I am able to use my Huawei signal extender with it the TP link without any problem thus extending the signal to the furthest reaches of the house. So I am pleased with the device. No dropouts and a steady signal. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This does what it says on the box and more, 6 Sept. 2013
I originally purchased from Amazon an Asus DSL-N55U which did not live up to expectations at all. Amazon kindly accepted a return on this and I was reimbursed very quickly. I then purchased from Amazon a TP-Link TD-W8980 which is an amazing piece of kit. The ease of set up is just unbelievable and the instructions perfectly laid out on the CD. We have large house that has always had router coverage problems but not any more .The T-P Link gives strong reception in every area. All in all I would really recommend that you buy this router which is also dual band .

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TD-W8980 N600, 27 May 2013
My first dual band router and am very pleased. It was easier to set up than I thought it would be. Up to yet I am very pleased.

TP-LINK TD-W8980 - N600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router