Published 7 months ago by AM

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - weak wifi, bad ethernet support and crashes daily
I bought this as an replacement to an old ADSL2 modem router hoping the 2+ would get better a faster internet connection and because it supported 1Gb/s wired connections. The internet connection is marginally faster but everything else is a disaster.

Firtsly, the WIFI connection, despite having an ugly hedgehog array of antennas is extremely weak. Whereas our...
Published 6 months ago by S Fenney

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly easy installation (by a computer novice) on Virgin National Broadband. Working brilliantly., 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: TDW8980 Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Router with N Wireless Support (Personal Computers)
I needed to replace the original Netgear router that I got from Virgin National services back in 1997 as it kept needing to be reset all the time and had a poor signal upstairs despite using a Huwaei wifi repeater. I had been plucking up courage to do it for many weeks, as I have very little computer knowledge and was worried about getting to the point of no return, messing up all my settings, spending hours on the phone to a helpline and being without internet access until I could pay someone to sort out the mess. Virgin had offered to replace my router for about 50 (with a model selling for under 20 on Amazon, with none of the features of this W8980 N600) and frightened me a little bit by saying that they would not be able to offer me any help or support if I chose to go for a diy approach. After reading lots of reviews about this modem and finding it to be significantly cheaper that an equivalent Netgear box, I finally took the plunge. I set aside a whole day to do it but I needn't have been so worried.
It was so incredibly easy to set it up. From taking it out of the box to connecting all our devices (2 iMacs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 sky box, 1 apple tv and 1 printer), it took me just over an hour. After reading the instructions that came in the box, I printed out the required settings from the Virgin National website and then basically just replaced the wires from the old Netgear box into the corresponding places on the TP link router and waited. The lights started flashing almost straight away and it all looked just as it ought to according to the instructions. I had a heart sink moment when I failed to connect to the TP link router website but as it turned out, I was still using an Airport Express box and once I took that out of the system it connected just fine. Set up was so straightforward I amazed myself at the speed of it. I now have great wifi in the house and can watch Sky on demand without problems, and the printer works wirelessly for both Macs for the first time ever. I am still using the wifi repeater (because it was already in place) and needed to reset it back to factory settings by sticking a pin in it before I could connect to it. However I now get excellent wifi coverage upstairs. I have not written a review for Amazon before but decided to do so on this occasion as it was reading other people's reviews that persuaded me to buy this router and I'm very glad I did. I also wanted to reassure people who are on the Virgin National Broadband service that this router is compatible and it's really fantastic. No more dropped signals. I don't know anything about broadband speeds and found some of the reviews a bit too technical for me but I can say that it's very fast and to date (I've been using it for 4 weeks) very reliable. Hope this review helps someone else make up their mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars ADSL Modem Router, 17 Aug 2013
The modem-router is an excellent product and highly recommended.

After setting up it has operated faultlessly without any ADSL drop-outs. Data transfer speed (both cabled and wireless) is very impressive. The dual frequency bands provide two separate wireless connections, effectively doubling wi-fi capacity.

The only minus point - the 5 GHz signal does not propagate as well as the 2.4 GHz signal, particularly through walls. However, the shorter range of the higher frequency is a natural phenomena and not a fault of the modem-router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stable, better range, dual bandwidth is heaven, 12 April 2013
This product is worth the price. Splitting 600 Mbps bandwidth into 2 stable 300 Mbps bands is exactly what most homes need. Emails and slow traffic can coincide with older devices and the B,G,N wireless ranges. Streaming movies, music, iPlayer, etc can be banded to the exclusive N wireless band. Genius!

4.0 out of 5 stars For situations where more power is needed, 27 Sep 2013
My house is made of stone and has thick walls so needs a stronger signal and this system did the trick. Following the instructions I was bale to connect to the Internet reasonably quickly. Also, as it has WPS functionality I am able to use my Huawei signal extender with it the TP link without any problem thus extending the signal to the furthest reaches of the house. So I am pleased with the device. No dropouts and a steady signal. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This does what it says on the box and more, 6 Sep 2013
I originally purchased from Amazon an Asus DSL-N55U which did not live up to expectations at all. Amazon kindly accepted a return on this and I was reimbursed very quickly. I then purchased from Amazon a TP-Link TD-W8980 which is an amazing piece of kit. The ease of set up is just unbelievable and the instructions perfectly laid out on the CD. We have large house that has always had router coverage problems but not any more .The T-P Link gives strong reception in every area. All in all I would really recommend that you buy this router which is also dual band .

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TD-W8980 N600, 27 May 2013
My first dual band router and am very pleased. It was easier to set up than I thought it would be. Up to yet I am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for Talk Talk fibre router, 3 Mar 2014
This is a great product, but you will need to call the TP link helpline to get it set up if you are using it to replace your Talk Talk fibre router (as I did). Talk Talk do not officially support this router and will try and tell you that it won't work (in truth, they just don't know how to set it up.) The TP helpline were brilliant - had it up and running in a few minutes.
Soooo much better than the crappy router that Talk Talk supply to their customers!!!!!!
Just buy it (I did the research - and this was the best for the price bracket)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement for standard BT supplied home hub., 13 Feb 2014
I had encountered problems with the standard issue BT Home Hub after purchasing a tablet. I began to notice more and more that I would intermittently lose the wireless signal for no reason. After a little googling I discovered that this was a common problem with the Home Hub, something that is not mentioned in the advertising for BT broadband funnily enough...

I was a little apprehensive about which router I should get as a replacement. I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable about IT, but the options on offer were quite diverse and somewhat mind boggling. I eventually opted for this router and it's been everything I hoped for.

The installation of the device itself could not have been more straight-forward. Simply transferring over the cables was all that was necessary physically. I needed to supply a user name and password, but the generic "userATbtbroadbandDOTcom", with a password of "bt", was all that it needed. All other settings were set to the defaults that I needed. It was supper simple to set up the network names and passwords.

After a week of heavy testing, with two tablets streaming right across the house, I've not had a single issue with disconnections, or drop in quality or stuttering. The wifi is as rock solid as it can get. The router has been silently doing its thing for days without a single problem, which was unheard of a few weeks ago. If anything my connection speed seems to have increased. All of BT's TV services are completely unaffected by the change.

My only regret about my purchase of this router is that I didn't do it ages ago. If you have a BT broadband contract and are having issues with the wifi you're getting from your Home Hub, I cannot recommend highly enough that you get the TD-W8980 as a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best i've had, 9 Mar 2013
Very Stable, Flawless Wireless Connections, Wide Wi-Fi Range.
Pleasent Design. Easy Web GUI Setup.
The Best i've had in many years.
Very Happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic router, 26 April 2013
Imperator "Imperator" (Birkenhead, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was a fantastically easy router to set up, and once running, it works flawlessly. In our house, we run a laptop, networked HDD, 2 smartphones, an iPad, a Sky+ HD box, a Sony Bravia Smart TV and an Xbox 360. All were working perfectly within an hour of me taking this very attractive looking piece of kit out of its box.

We also have TP-Link Powerline and Wireless extenders, but now that we have invested in this router, we will be using the, less and less, since the range is a massive upgrade on the Belkin F5D8635-4 router we were using previously. Having the two separate networks is also ideal for a household like ours with lots of devices connecting at once - you can set up your web browsing devices to connect to the 2.4 and the Smart TV to connect to the 5, and you get perfect, unbroken connections on both.

Have previously owned Netgear and Belkin routers, but for me this beats them hands down. Yes, it is relatively expensive, but in this day and age, you cannot put a price on excellent wifi.

A couple of things to mention:
One reviewer said this didn't work with Xbox, which worried me. Don't fret - IT DOES! Really easy to set up too, unlike my previous Belkin which I remember being an absolute nightmare.

If, like me, you are am ADSL broadband user but intend to upgrade to fibre broadband when it becomes available in your area, this is the perfect modem router to buy, as unlike almost any other router, it works both with fibre and ADSL. This, for me, was what made up my mind to buy it, and I'm VERY glad I did.