5.0 out of 5 stars Echo Street (deluxe edition)
I broke one of my own rules with this album and pre-ordered it. I was a little apprehensive but really shouldn't have been.

Published 17 months ago by Squashed Nose

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Published 17 months ago by Kris.G

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Echo Street (MP3 Download)
As much as a love Amplifier I was a little disappointed with Echo Street for the main reason being that this album lacks the epicness and intensity of their previous albums and EPS. I thought 4 songs were great in this album, Matmos in particular having that unique Amplifier signature and reminding me of those uplifting songs like Hymn of the Aten, O Fortuna etc. Reading some of the reviews here, Amplifier has always been a "grown up" or "mature" prog rock band as far as I am concerned and this new direction they have taken has left me a little uninspired, change/revolution isn't always a good thing, I remember when I worshipped Oceanszie and how they suddenly changed from great prog rock to something I could not relate too, I thought a 4th member is unecessary anyway on a positive note my personal favourite song in here is "Extra Vehicular" by far the best song, followed by "Matmos", "The Wheel" and "Where the river goes" the other 4 songs still had elements of Amplifier but just felt a total deviation from their usual songs. Having said all that I keep an Open mind, maybe they will grown on me with time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Echo Street (deluxe edition), 1 April 2013
This review is from: Echo Street -Ltd- (Audio CD)

I find it ironic that the huge sound of Amplifier appears to have been reduced somewhat with the addition of a fourth member. However, the music is more mature, perhaps more intelligent and equally as enjoyable. The wall of noise that Amplifier have made their own is still there in sufficient quantity but has been interspersed with quiet passages, poise, grace and even acoustic guitars and close harmonies.

There are no bad or even mediocre tracks on this album, each one is a peach, which makes the album a classic by my own reasoning. However, the stand out tracks for me are Extra Vehicular (track 3), a 12 minute Floydesque behemoth and Where the River Goes (track 4), which bursts into classic Amplifier wall of noise with hair raising effects.

It would be folly to ignore the Sunriders EP included with the deluxe edition, which is excellent in it's own right, comparible with other Amplifier EPs such as Eternity and Fractal. What I love about Amplifier EPs is that they sound like high quality jam sessions (maybe they are) which give an insight into the development of their sound.

I feel obliged to mention the packaging of the deluxe edition, which is a book containing what appears to be a true story told in words and pictures. Beautifully bound, signed by the band members (my pre-order version was anyway) and containing two superb discs of music, it has become a treasured possession.

Finally, I am a huge PT and SW fan but cannot reconcile the comparisons made by some reviewers. Amplifier started very loud with their eponymous debut and have been maturing since then whereas PT started with trippy, Floydesque, meandering tunes and developed into a band with a big sound (think The Incident). SWs solo work however, is much quieter and thought provoking.

5 stars, classic album.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Introduction to Amplifier, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Echo Street (Audio CD)
As the title says, I was drawn to this album by, as usual, hearing a track on BBC Six Music (The Wheel); so I was going out on a limb not knowing what the rest of the album might sound like to me. I have to say I was - and am - really pleasantly surprised. For me, every track is a winner - something I think is difficult to attribute to many albums.

The Wikipedia entry says the band has overtones of Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Tool and Oceansize. Maybe. But for me this album at least has influences from the likes of Yes and Led Zepplin. As another reviewer said, the album grows on you the more you listen.

On a more general note, this is a review of the CD (unfortunately not the Deluxe version!). After much comparison of MP3 and CD quality, I just prefer the latter. And it might not be a vinyl album cover, but at least you have the disk cover: its imagery and information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one Sel.............., 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Echo Street (Hard Book Edition) (Audio CD)
Well, how do you follow the mighty Octopus - the eight legged one was my album of 2011 by some margin....?

Echo Street is how. The Octopus has grown up - opener Matmos available in various locations online as an album preview is a great opener and really sets the scene for a great collection of tracks. Not as immediate, hard rocking or dark as its predesessor, Echo Sreet's a grower and has been spinning uninterupted in the car stereo since it arrived.

Like all good progressive bands Amplifier have moved on and I love them for it. Whether its the influence of new guitarist Steve Durose (ex Oceansize) only time will tell but theres a lightness of touch to procedings that melds well with the riffing and feedback typical of the classic Amplifier sound.

An amalgam of albums 1-3 with a little added optomism, Echo street is 100% progressive and 100% Amplifier - its a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars much more coherent album, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Echo Street [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I worried that Amplifier were in danger of doing a Radiohead , ie disappearing up their own backsides.

Their debut album is one of the most astounding debut`s I have heard , and really should have made them massive had not the world been obsessed with pseudo indie and/or xfactor rubbish.

The octopus was a good album, but perhaps a little too self obsessed.
Gone were the hooks of the debut , replaced with great technical playing....but technical demonstrations without the hooks leave me cold.

This is a different direction , and whilst those who loved the likes of Octopus may find it too mellow, to my mind its a band maturing.
Yes, superb themes, but all together a slightly quieter more dare I say progressive album.

Fans of Porcupine Tree, Pineapple thief will appreciate it, as will anyone with a passing interest in bands like Radiohead and Muse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going for prog album of the year!, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Echo Street (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of this band since the first album. One the first listen I admit I was disappointed with this album based on them being a little heavier on previous records, but by the third listen I was hooked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Octopus, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Echo Street (MP3 Download)
This to me is more accessable than Octopus, which I love and play constantly in the car, but this download is a slightly different direction and more listenable

4.0 out of 5 stars different but the same, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Echo Street (Hard Book Edition) (Audio CD)
sounds like Amplifier then it doesn't guides you in slowly and grows on you after a few listens, look forward to the next offering

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Echo Street -Ltd- (Audio CD)
A fantastic album full of ups & downs. Truly anthemic. Can`t stop playing it. Well done lads. Great packaging too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Echo Street (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums this year. If you haven't heard Amplifier before, this would be the one to get. Also a band really worth making the effort to see live.

Echo Street (Hard Book Edition)
Echo Street (Hard Book Edition) by Amplifier (Audio CD - 2013)