Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 April 2013
There is no point wasting words on this review, no track by track account. It's slightly different from the last album, which was slightly different to the one before that etc etc. There should be NO doubt by now that what you are buying is a hook laden monster of an album as, essentially, there is no such thing as a bad Clutch album.

Drums are as blistering as ever, riffs are as as plentiful as ever (there are a few nods, or so it feels, to earlier tracks), bass is mixed up higher than usual, which is nice, and there's just no point commenting on the vocals. It's back to the Voice of Ten Men era. Done.

One thing on a personal level that I find interesting is that lyrically there are a couple of tracks which, if presented by most other bands, would seem ludicrously cheesy (the first, and title, track for example). Somehow Clutch make them sound cool and not just once, over and over again. Who else could pull off a song about a Cyborg girlfriend and actually not just make it sound OK but, well, like its an IMPORTANT subject! :O> There are the usual tale-spinning forays (always appreciated) but there are some real basic rock-and-roll-sentiment ones too.

Initially I would have given this a 4 but as always with this band the immediate gratifiers soon give way to more behind the curtain. There's always debate among existing fans about which album a new fan should investigate first - it really doesn't matter with Clutch, it's all 4-5 stars across the board. Stop reading, go buy, get your heavy groove on.
on 5 June 2013
The best damn album these guys have made for me! I've been a big fan for a long time but for me this even surpasses the awesome Blast Tyrant. Faster paced with heavier riffs than the last two, more bluesy albums and a real return to form from the Maryland stompers. I can't even pick stand out tracks, they're all superb!
on 13 April 2013
bought after i heard a track on Radio 1's Rock Show. Really good old-school metal / rock . . .
on 24 March 2013
Somehow, I knoweth not how, I've never interacted with the world of Clutch before. I knew they were there, I've had people recommend them to me as being right up my street. I've always ignored those people as I know what's best for me, thank you very much.

Anyhow, it's a Friday night, a few drinks have been imbibed, then a few more and I'm trawling through Amazon and I see a new Clutch release is forthcoming so I click to pre-order, I click on a few more things to pre-order but they don't concern us now.

So, it arrives this week and what do I find? Well, I find a damn good well grounded Hard Rocker. I won't go into track by track detail, but it's confident at times Lizzyesque Hard Rock swagger floated my old Longboat. I can see a back-catalogue investigation looming.
on 7 June 2013
Was turned on to Clutch only very recently when a friend played some to me. Liked it, bought the new album, and I am really impressed! Heavy rock at it's finest, and a fantastic roar of a vocal. Now for the back catalogue...
on 31 August 2013
I've been a fan of Clutch for years. Enjoyed most of what they've done, but this is on another level.

In making a decision to release this on vinyl, they have condensed the essence of hard rock into a perfect 45 minutes of non stop quality. I own hundreds of albums that are 55 minutes long and have 10 minutes of filler. I wish more bands would make records as focussed as this. If you like hard rock, buy this record. If you like clever, knowing, humourous lyrics, buy this record. If you like anything Clutch have done, buy this record.

If there's been a better rock track than 'The Face' by any band in the last 20 years, I'd like to hear it.

Just brilliant.
on 8 September 2015
Awesome: this is the first Clutch album I have purchased after seeing them live, and I have listened to it over and over again. Some cracking tunes, and it is a real grower. Impressed.
on 26 April 2013
Clutch are a bluesy hard rock band from Maryland, who now own their own record label called Weather Maker. The band have released another solid album of Energetic, sometimes bluesy, sludgy rock tunes.
Earth Rocker has some of the typical Clutch Elements such as a bluesy undertone, and heavy bass and heartfelt vocals. Some elements of Earth Rocker reminds me of Mastodon's newest album Or it might be the other way round. Fallon Really shines with his vocals on this album he really has put all his blood into it. The riffs of such songs as Cyborg Bette and Book, Saddle and Go really kick butt with their powerful, Egotistical listen to me style. The loud crashing drums and thudding slightly over driver, Harley bike sounding bass really helps energise the music and drive it forward.
While there is nothing especially new here, there are certainly many solid songs nothing is particularly just filler and a lot of the songs like Cyborg Bette and Oh Isabella are certainly songs that will become big live songs with their big catchy choruses.

Rock Fans should buy it
on 25 October 2014
This is a two part review - firstly the music:

Pretty good, if a bit formulaic. Not really my favourite Clutch album, but has it's good bits. 3/5.

The DISC - TERRIBLE. The sound quality of my copy is about as bad as an oil-crisis retread made on a friday afternoon. It sounds like it's been played to death from the first play [was shrink-wrapped when I received it], mistracking and distortion plays havoc with the sound, even though it's a rough sound style. There's warps, there's ripples and there's even a lump or two in the disc.

Oh, and it's mastered too damn hot/loud. No dynamic range.

No it's not my TT/setup. With a good disc it's crystal clear and smooth. Rega Planar 3 / Ortofon 2M Red.

I would have returned it except i dropped the sleeve and mushed up the corner.

Really peeved as I payed extra for an LP as opposed to a CD/download just to revel in the potential sound quality.

Utter FAIL on that part.
on 10 June 2013
Big Clutch fan. Absolutely love this new CD, Great mix of heavy riffs and groove laden rhythms. A more straight ahead rock album than some of he more recent releases.Bonkers lyrics as ever.
This is my current fave Clutch CD so far , closely followed by Beale Street To Oblivion and Blast Tyrant. Any of these three are a great place to start your introduction to probably the most underated rock band around. Those familiar with Clutch should not hesitate to buy. The opening two tracks alone are worth the price.