Published 14 months ago by Big Jim

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Drever
Published 11 months ago by Bertiebongo

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those collaborations that folk artists just seem to get right, 4 Feb 2013
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Storymap (Audio CD)
It's a hard job keeping up with all the new stuff that's coming out of the Folk genre at the moment and the best of it is that the vast majority of it is fresh, exciting ,tuneful, and yet often challenging, lyrically as well as musically. This album is all of these things. A partnership between Éamonn Coyne of Treacherous Orchestra and Salsa Celtica who plays Banjo and Tenor Guitar and Kris Drever the rightly acclaimed singer & songwriter, mainly known through his work with recent BBC folk award winning trio Lau who takes up the main vocals and guitar. From traditional sounding toe-tappers like the opening Ceapaval and Marches and Reels to the plaintive Fairwell to Stromness there is something for everyone here. This is a very good album indeed and it makes me wonder how many more beauties like this can we expect over the coming months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 18 Mar 2013
A. McKenna (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storymap (Audio CD)
My wife won this CD in a competition. What a piece of luck for me. I have had it for 3 or 4 weeks now and have found it very hard to put away for any length of time. These guys just seem to fit so well together and it comes through in the music. There is such a beautiful balance to the mix of jigs, reels and ballads that after 2 listens I was hooked already. The 3 vocals are, unsurprisingly, all up to Kris Drever's usual high standard with a simply wonderful version of 'The Isle of France' highlighting for me. Eamonn's strident and often joyful picking is a real treat to the ears. I defy any folk fan with a pulse to keep still during the marvellously infectious 'Teddy Bears Picnic Jigs'. If the name doesn't make you smile, the music certainly should.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb album, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Storymap (MP3 Download)
Just love this album as I do anything that has Kris Drever involved. My personal favourite is Isle of France, but the whole album is a real pleaser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for my daughter, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Storymap (Audio CD)
Bought this at the request of my daughter for Christmas. She seems to love it. This is the first cd she has by this group so difficult to compare with others but if you like traditional folk you'll like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Storymap (Audio CD)
Always a winner!! Just as good as "Honk Toot Suite and we look forward to their next great CD. Brilliant!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Drever, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Storymap (Audio CD)
I've been greatly impressed by Kris's previous solo efforts and Lau material. He's got such a good voice which I'd like to hear more of. So I bought this without hesitation, having heard that it had more vocals. Well, it hasn't. Initial impression is - bland. I don't think it will grow on me either. Falls far short of "Lightweights and gentlemen" "Blackwater" and "Mark the hard earth". Destined to gather dust.

2.0 out of 5 stars real boredom., 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Storymap (Audio CD)
first: I like the solo and LAU stuff, so my disappointment on this recort is perhaps bigger than for one of an artist I don't like or I hardly know...
Every new piece repeats the one before, if I'll hear another pluck from a banjo in the next 2 months I will rather go mad. Can anyone out there explain to me what the hell a banjo has to do with british folk music? or ist that too narrow minded now?? anyway - not a good album from a real master...

ARRAY(0xa1306780)