4.0 out of 5 stars Best alternative Nespresso brand capsules I've tried by far
I've tried a few different types of alternative Nespresso capsules now which all had holes in the bottom for the water to flush through, these don't have holes. They are mad of plastic which appears to be weakened on the bottom enabling the holes to be punctured.

Published 16 months ago by Just my opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the real thing
Published 15 months ago by E

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Best alternative Nespresso brand capsules I've tried by far, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: CafeTutto Capsules Taster Pack (Pack of 2, Total of 50 Capsules) (Grocery)

The water also comes through easily unlike the other capsules I've tried where you can hear the machine straining to get water through and sometimes giving up and giving me error flashing lights. I've tried now 10 of these capsules and they all provided good strong coffee with a consistent easy flow of water/coffee coming out of the spout which makes me less worried about wearing down the pump on my machine.

Pros
You get a proper coffee hit, full taste. It's not weak, stale etc. It's like Nespresso capsules.
Coffee tastes good and I'm a fussy black coffee drinker. I honestly think the taste is almost just as good as genuine Nespresso capsules, the others I tried aren't nearly as good. The litmus test is I wouldn't dream of buying the others again but I would these and not just because they're cheaper. You also get a good sized cup of coffee and it's still strong enough.
Price is good and postage is free whereas through Nespresso you need to buy 200 capsules for free postage so if you're caught short then these are a good alternative.
Crema is very good, just like Nespresso Capsules, again this wasn't the case with the others I tried.

Cons
I have a Nespresso U (which is fabulous and I should do a review of) and these work fine in it despite the machine having to puncture plastic. The U is automatic there's no lever you're having to force down. It's not a con for me but if you have an Essenza etc with a lever it might be a bit tougher to move the lever down and although apparently your warranty won't be compromised you may want to take this into account.

Conclusion
I think not having holes in them makes all the difference to the taste and crema of the coffee.
If you order through the Cafe Tutto website they send them so they fit through the door. My Amazon one's didn't however Amazon is cheaper if you buy a two box set.
This is the only Nespresso alternative capsules I've tried that I'll buy again (tried 3 types and bought some emohome refillables as back up). I'll quite happily buy these again and not feel I've compromised on quality.
However they do need to be cheaper than Nespresso by at least 5p per capsule as I really do like Arpeggio.

The coffees - I would describe them as rounded italian style coffees of different strengths, full bodied coffees. Many of Nespresso's are malty, cerealy or fruity which I don't like, these aren't. If you like Arpeggio/decafinato Intenso/the gree lungo, they're more like that in style/flavour.

Gran Cru - too weak for me.
Fruity and aromatic and lightly roasted to allow the subtle flavours to linger in the mouth.
This blend uses the finest beans to produce this distinctive and classic coffee worthy of the name.
Gran Cru is perfect as a short or long coffee and is a particularly good base for flat white.
FLAVOUR NOTES: intense yet smooth and subtle
ORIGINS: Arabica from Colombia & Costa Rica. Indian Robusta
INTENSITY: 3

RICH ITALIANO - I think this is a nice generic rounded smooth coffee which will suit most people.
This blend of Arabica and Robusta beans gives a classic deep and intense Italian coffee with a luxurious golden brown crema.
Rich Italiano is perfect as a short or long coffee and its dark roast makes it a particularly good base for cappuccino or latte.
FLAVOUR NOTES: fruity and aromatic
ORIGINS: Arabica from South America and Robusta from India
INTENSITY: 7

LUNGO - I liked this, I'll finish the capsules but it's not strong enough for me. I'm not keen on the Nespresso Lungo's they're a bit cerealy, malty whereas this isn't, I'm not sure how I'd describe it other than like the Italiano it's a good rounded generic coffee just not as strong.
Best enjoyed as a double espresso shot. Hand selected Arabica beans from South America and Africa, combined with Indian Robusta beans result in full-bodied intensity and a lasting rich flavour.
Lungo translates as "long" pull of espresso made with the same amount of coffee and twice the water of a normal shot.
FLAVOUR NOTES: full-bodied intense, rich
ORIGINS: Arabica from South America and Africa, Indian Robusta
INTENSITY: 5

ESPRESSO - This is strong, comparable to Arpeggio which is my favourite Nespresso though perhaps it doesn't have quite the same level of chocolately after taste but you still get it. Again I would say it's a well rounded coffee. Not malty or cerealy.
This 100% Arabica blend has all the characteristics of Italian espresso with a deep and creamy crema.
This coffee is designed as a short powerful espresso shot but can be made longer by adding some hot water or a small amount of frothed milk for a macchiato.
Flavour Notes: bold and rich
ORIGINS: 100% Arabica from South America and Africa
INTENSITY: 9

DECAFF Again tastes similar profile to the others. However I'd say these are a 7 in strength rather than 5. It's quite strong, I've just had one, quite a full bodied coffee mouthful. In the description below it says hint of wine, I didn't get that.
Our Decaff is given a delicate roast to preserve the full-body of these premium decaffeinated Colombian Arabica beans, bringing out a subtle flavour with a hint of wine.
The blend and roast intensity ensures this decaff can be used for any short or long, latte or cappuccino without the caffeine.
FLAVOUR NOTES: subtle flavour with a hint of wine
ORIGINS: 100% Colombian Arabica
INTENSITY: 5

A card came with the boxes I'll take a photo and see if I can upload it, has useful info. I was looking online at reviews for another brand on a reviews website and thought the reviews were a little bit dubious (21 reviews only on 2 dates though and all 5 stars) so to clarify I don't work for Cafe Tutto or any coffee company.

Edit - also wanted to add that if your council recycles plastic you can empty these and recycle them

1.0 out of 5 stars Cafe Tutto taster pack, 1 May 2013
Café Tutto Capsules Lungo (Pack of 2, Total of 50 Capsules)
The advert states that this product is completely compatible with Nespreso.....Not true. Yes they fit the machine, require a little more force when closing the lever, but most of the coffee is delivered inside the machine with only about 30% coming out of the spout. The capsules lack the raised rim that the Nespresso capsules have and I think that is probably the problem. My machine is a Krupps and works perfectly with the genuine capsules. I raised the problem with Amazon and received a full refund. I complained to the Tutto people and have not even received an acknowledgement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the real thing, 3 April 2013
I had high hopes for these capsules though sad to say they are a little disappointing, being both slightly bland and difficult to use. My Nespresso machine struggled to load them and they had an annoying habit of leaking cofee everywhere. If the capsules were resized or made of better materials I'd be more likely to give them another try though for the moment I think I'll stick to the originals.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Nespresso, 1 May 2013
These were compatible with my machine and inexpensive compared to Nespresso but the flavours were either weak or unpleasant . I managed 10 of my 50 and gave the rest away .

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 21 May 2013
B. Capaloff "wherenext2" (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have no complaints with the flavour of the coffee these capsules produce, but I do have a problem with the volume! I am now used to using my relatively new Krups U and whilst would like more coffee in my cup I don't really have a complaint - it's a pleasure having such nice coffee at home for a decent price, but volume here is the key.

I had only used 5 of my Cafe Tutto capsules and noted how little I was getting, only to discover that the bulk of the coffee was joining the used capsules! Compatible? I think not! Shan't be making another purchase. The extra pennies for the Nespresso capsules (through their site, I might add, not bought at the extortionate Amazon prices!) are worth the money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, 10 May 2013
It's cheap of course, but the taste is sooo poor! Complete waste of money. I tried all the tastes and they are all very weak. Also for my CitiZ the capsules are quite big. You can fit them in, but need to apply some extra pressure to pierce them. Didn't even finish the first box, went back to original Nespresso pods.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my preference, 4 May 2013
Amy (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I bought these I didn't realise they weren't the normal espresso pods. I prefer the normal espresso pods to these ones, I just prefer the taste and choice of flavours.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 14 April 2013
This is a good selection of coffees and they are a lot cheaper than the nespresso capsules . Ideal if you want to use your machine without spending a fortune !

4.0 out of 5 stars Suited my taste, 7 Jun 2014
I'm not a coffee expert, I just enjoy the odd cup in the morning. These capsules were fine, didn't have any problems using them in my Nespresso. I would certainly buy again!

4.0 out of 5 stars It is all relevant, 4 April 2014
Berniebob (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
Are there better coffee pods out there? Probably.
However, using the relevant deals available these pods are great value for the money.
I use them in my machine in the office throughout the day and find them very good indeed. You get to have favourites which I identify by the colour of the pod - gold and purple are the best ones I find.
Compatibility is not a problem - they work fine
A small cup, a little sugar and a long life cream portion/pod and I am happy. Better than a vending machine but not as good as a decent Italian coffee shop, there again I am working at my desk - these do me fine.
Recommended