4.0 out of 5 stars Edward Thurston and his secret portrait
I have read Hazel Statham's book 'For Love of Sarah' which is a fabulous historical romance so was keen to read this.

Published 6 months ago by Rani Shergill

3.0 out of 5 stars He's very appealing......
Published 7 months ago by Patsy

4.0 out of 5 stars Edward Thurston and his secret portrait, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)

Edward Thurston and Lady Jennifer are engaged to be married by family arrangement but have had little time to actually get to know each other with Edward having to leave to fight a battle in Spain. He returns badly injured but what has kept him going during the war and during his recovery has been the little minitiaure he carries of his betrothed. Badly injured with his outward appearance markedly altered he sees no alternative but to release Lady Jennifer from the engagement. At the same time not knowing of his injuries Lady Jennifer has come to a similar conclusion but for the simple reason she feels she doesn't know him and he has neglected to send her any messages the whole time he has been away.

When at their meeting Edward releases her and advises the marriage can not go ahead Lady Jennifer is quite shocked and upset that its not her doing the breaking of the engagement. Subsequently they meet at various gatherings and grow closer and Lady Jennifer more attracted to Edward although neither will admit to their true feelings. Subsequent turn of events lead them on an adventure to rescue a sibling and finally a conclusion to all the misunderstandings between the two of them concerning their true feelings and the portrait resulting in a lovely conclusion to the story.

A lovely historical romance that shows how little mementoes can mean so much to men in battle and how for many of them its an important part of seeing them through it and back home, giving them the will to carry on. I wish Lady Jennifer and Edward Thurston had resolved their misunderstandings alot sooner but they do get there in the end!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an endearing love story, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
This is an endearing love story following Edward Thurston and Lady Jennifer's journey after the break-up of their betrothal, and it is told from both character's perspectives. You cannot help but feel for handsome Edward, who has returned home from war severely affected - both physically and mentally - by the atrocities that he was part of whilst away. He cannot bring himself to ask Jennifer to deal with this aftermath and so he breaks off their engagement:

"Ironic is it not? To the outside world `twould appear that I have time aplenty, but you see, I have not. I am to be married, John. Or, more rightly, I was to be married. Yet how can I expect a wife to commit herself to the wreck I have become?"

Edward is a very caring man, close to his family and very honourable, so when Jennifer later needs his help, he does not turn her away. What follows is an unexpected adventure that allows them to finally get to know each other properly.

Despite the seriousness of the topic of post-traumatic stress, this book has a lot of fun elements. I love the quirkiness of Lady Jennifer - she certainly isn't your usual historical romance novel heroine. She is feisty, she is smart, she isn't afraid of other people's opinions of her and she certainly does not swoon. But she is confused about her feelings for Edward and at times somewhat naïve of the complications of love:

"Ned, I must know. Did you offer for me out of a sense of honor? Did you feel obligated to offer marriage?"

She saw his shoulders stiffen, and his tone was cold when, without turning, he answered, "If that is what you truly believe, you silly girl, then yes. If that explanation satisfies you, and it is how you perceive it, yes."

There is also a sense of mystery to this book. Edward is obsessed with a miniature portrait which he took with him to war and depended on during his long convalescence. Why can he not let it go? Who is the image of? What does it mean?

This book is a mix of adventure, romance and mystery. It's not highly descriptive, but focuses on a well-crafted plot. I liked the myriad settings, with the characters going from the London ton scene to country estates to travelling on public coaches and staying in cheap inns with commoners. The pace and intrigue make this a real page turner - I wanted to know what would happen and who was in that portrait, and I wanted to keep reading to make sure that Edward and Jennifer would be happy. I was not disappointed, but I was kept guessing until the end.

I look forward to reading more from this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars He's very appealing......, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
Not my usual genre, but I think the daily offer must have caught me in an odd mood - so I bought this, duly read it and enjoyed it for what it is. It's reminiscent of lots of other historical romances and felt familiar for that, but nonetheless, enjoyable. I think I must be sentimental in my old age, even taking it to the point of wondering where all the honourable, principled men are nowadays. He's a very appealing character and if romances are your thing, I'd heartily recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
This was my second book by Hazel Statham and I rather enjoyed the story of Edward Thurston and Lady Jennifer who were betrothed before he went off to war and out of a sense of duty when he returned he broke it off (before she could). Then began the journey of then getting to know each other and him helping her out and throughtout he had a miniture portrait of her which he had carried everywhere (unbeknown to her). This is a sweet romantic read and I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle easy read, 9 Sept. 2014
Wiz "Wiz" (Apperley Bridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
Having read a number of heavy and serious books recently it was good to have a book that didn't require any great effort to read and enjoy. There was enough in the story and characters to keep me interested and to look forward to picking up my Kindle again to read another chapter or two. Would definitely read something else by Hazel Statham.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story and found it a refreshing change with no violence and no explicit sex scenes. The tension in the book arises from the misunderstandings between the hero and heroine and their brothers provide some excitement as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 28 July 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
This was the first book i read from this author and I liked it so much I bought another one as soon as I finished it. It has very likeable characters and nice little twists in the plot just when you think you know what happens next.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light and enjoyable Read, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
A thoroughly enjoyable read, but felt that the Story Line was a little Clichéd in parts .I almost wrote the next Chapter along the Way .Very good Descriptions of the time that it was set in .

4.0 out of 5 stars The Portrait - a good read, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
Have never read a book by Hazel Statham before - but will look out for her in the future as it was a book I was sorry to finish. Could have read more about the characters. Good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Portrait (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this. Beautifully written. The first book i've read by Hazel Statham but I shall certainly read more.

The Portrait