5,066 Reviews
 (2,253)
 (1,177)

4.0 out of 5 stars very funny and highly readable
Not sure this book needs any reviewing but still, I want to say that it is a very enjoyable read (or ride rather!) as are all Dan Brown books if you don't mind too much his trademark 'treasure-hunt' plot style. Once again Langdon partners with a woman and together they follow a trail of clues, one always leading to the next one and so on till the resolution. It is in turn...
Published 3 months ago by Ann Fairweather

3.0 out of 5 stars We've Been Here Before...
I actually wasn't going to buy Inferno given how woeful I considered The Lost Symbol to be; however, I received a copy of the book as a gift and plunged in, consuming the book in a matter of a couple of days. Whilst my earlier review of The Lost Symbol was quite positive in terms of what Brown was trying to do, large parts of my criticism of that book also apply here. The...
Published 19 months ago by Mark F. Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this.....but it fell way too short of expectations, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I found this to be disappointing really. I have greatly enjoyed Dan Brown's other work and have enjoyed the thrilling style of his writing but this was a step too far. The events seem to be too contrived, Robert Langdon wakes up in a mysterious hospital where he just happens to be with in the care of a Doctor who is also on the side of the person who has put Langdon in hospital and has triggered the events in the novel. I really wanted to like this story but it lost all credibility for me with the idea that the person who wants to unleash a virus on the world through stealth would a) publish a video of themselves and the virus describing what it will do, and then b) leaving a trail of clues all across Florence as to the whereabouts of the secret chamber that the virus has been hidden in - really????? Surely someone so keen on unleashing bio terrorism would hardly be leaving a trail of breadcrumbs for people to follow so they can find it - what would be the point? Sadly too many of the events lack realism and I found myself thinking 'yeah right! Like that would happen!!' I couldn't help but feel that Dan Brown has been pushed to write more Robert Langdon novels following the successes of The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons and has rushed to get them done on time - the story feels forced and the writing lacks the flow of his other novels. I was bitterly disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Langdon By The Numbers, 26 Oct 2014
Mr. T. Wilson "indytim" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Dan Brown has painted himself into a corner with the Robert Langdon books. In order to appeases his readership he gives them 'more of the same' but in doing so his narrative offers nothing new.

This book feels like it was patched together from a Robert Langdon checklist - Langdon is being pursued by a menacing force whilst on a grown-up scavenger hunt which has world-changing implications ... check, In the company of a very attractive, highly intelligent young woman who finds him rather alluring ... check, Even though imminent danger is at hand Langdon still finds time to wax lyrical about the historical and cultural locations he finds himself in ... check, And don't forget to mention the Mickey Mouse watch ... check.

This isn't a bad tale of adventure and daring-do (with a heavy dose of historical exposition thrown in at every turn). It's just not a very engaging one. I personally found 'The Da Vinci Code' hard to put down but struggled my way through this book. The formulaic narrative offered nothing new, telling a tale that had been told before in the previous Robert Langdon novels just in new locations with a different collection of characters. But then, like Langdon donning his favourite Tweed jacket, maybe Brown's readers take comfort in the familar.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fed up with all the descriptions of things Italian!, 15 Jun 2014
Mrs. J. J. Mcgowan "Anja" (Republic of Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
The story line is getting lost in all the museum's, art works, descriptions and hidden codes! This is the last Dan Brown book I will ever read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 4 Nov 2014
Sinister, compulsive reading I liked the short chapters especially as I had to re-read from time to time.
I got lost in Florence Venice and Istanbul places I have not visited so I just loved all the tourist information even when it had nothing to do with the plot!
The very thought of extinction by genetic engineering useing a virus is chilling.
I suppose authors can get away with scientific/ medical inaccuracies but I could not ignore the clanger on page 58.
The cerebellum should have read cerebrum, and I doubt very much that a PET scan would have been performed, it was probably a CT or an MRI scan.
There were other areas I could comment on a will do briefly I was taught that 'Vector' was a vehicle to transfer DNA, and viruses inserting into a chromasome was normal! it doesn't modify the DNA.
The only character I trusted was Robert the rest all appeared very shady indeed,too many to comment on here.
An almost happy ending! the doctors fly off and RL replaces the mask, left me feeling a bit let down.

2.0 out of 5 stars but the book is full of Hooliwoodian references like that, which just make the whole story far-fetched ..., 15 Dec 2014
In contrast to the deeply enjoyable The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, this is a mediocre book, with a very shallow story. You can tell it has been put together hastily and with only a distant research of the environments in which the story unfolds. I have lived in Italy most of my life and the depiction of the way people interact and speak does not resemble in the slightest reality. A guard watching a football game which is in overtime? First of all there is no over time in European football, let alone Italian football. Watching it in the morning? I know it's a small detail, but the book is full of Hooliwoodian references like that, which just make the whole story far-fetched and unattainable. A random person who agrees for one of the characters to use his Bentley to chase a bus?!? Come on! Also, like other reviewers have noted, the book is more like a Tourist guide of Florence than a thriller. The winning formula of his Brown's previous books is nowhere to be found in this one I'm afraid. Do yourself a favour and skip it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful Book, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
This book is not, in any way good. It is terribly written, the story is incredibly poor with an ambitious plot that Dan Brown doesn't have the ability to make believable or pull off at all.

Once again it's another "Incident X happens so Robert Langdon and incredibly trusting beautiful female stranger Y have to go on the run following clues to unravel crime Z, which inexplicably relate to crime and symbology (not a real thing)".

Dan Brown needs to either learn how to write a decent fiction book, or start writing non-fiction books about art and archaeology. He doesn't seem to be able to decide what he wants to write.

I'd give this 0 stars if I could.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly bad, 27 July 2014
This is one of the worst books I've read.The story is totally unbelievable, the writing is terrible and the epic descriptions of architecture were mind numbingly boring. I skipped loads of the descriptive passages and still found it tedious.

Don't waste your time people, life is too short to spend on this utter drivel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!!, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I've always been a huge fan of Dan Brown and couldn't wait for this book. However, I honestly wish I hadn't wasted my money. It's a complete non-starter and the ending is dreadful! It isn't at all clever like his usual stuff and I personally found it repetitive and boring.

For those that are fans, give this one a miss!

4.0 out of 5 stars Professor Robert Langdon knows something. Or not., 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
Professor Robert Langdon knows something. Or not.
Gets chased. A lot. Actually, permanently chased until it switches to him doing some chasing too.
They want to kill him? Do they want to kill him? Or not? Why? Who does?
Sound familiar?

This time it is against, as is usual, an interesting backdrop of travelogues through Florence, Venice and Istanbul.
Short sentences. Short Chapters.
Somehow all that works. I wish I knew how and why. Is it because it reads like a screenplay? Is it a screenplay?

After Angels and Demons, everything that told me I shouldn’t enjoy this well paced romp through Europe on the trail of…well…does it matter?
Yet I did. A great deal. I have no doubt I shall be reading other of Mr Brown’s works although I have no idea why.

Want a holiday read? Read this.
Want a well paced page turner? Read this.
Want to be entertained? Read this.

In short. Read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read. Dan Brown does not disappoint, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic book. No lows here. It is gripping all the way through. Can't wait for his next book. Can't come quick enough

Inferno: (Robert Langdon Book 4)