5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

Published on 2 Mar. 2013 by Mez

3.0 out of 5 stars Asus VG278HE 27- Inch
Published 19 months ago by S. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Asus VG278HE 27- Inch, 21 Nov. 2013
S. Miller (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I've got two of these monitors. Asus build a nice monitor but they aren't without issues. I have had zero dead pixels so great there but light bleed is dire... I can live with it but be warned!! refresh rate is great for gaming 144hz= fantastic. Colours well expectable and menu functionality good too. I have my xbox hooked up via hdmi when im not using the pc. I've also tried 3d too and cross talk is visible to annoying. Good for gaming but for a price point 3 stars. Sorry Asus..

5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming, 2 Mar. 2013
Mez (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D LED Monitor - Black (1920x1080, 80000000:1, 144 Hz, 1ms, DVI Display Port, HDMI) (Accessory)
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

A quick background - thanks to consoles and the HDMI standard, the industry has settled for 60Hz and concentrated on graphical effects instead. That's OK for playing games on a TV, but it results in jerky first-person shooters and driving simulations. When your reactions don't appear to affect the display instantly then the experience becomes remote and unrewarding, and it is more difficult to achieve your best performance or improve your skills. The human eye can notice the difference between hundreds of frames per second (ignore people who tell you it's 24 FPS - that is a *minimum* for achieving convincing motion, not a maximum). Basically, PC gamers were missing the fluidity of old 1990s CRTs that could do refresh rates of 100Hz and more.

Out of the box, this monitor has poor default settings (they all do) and it takes a fair bit of time to get it looking OK. You must expect to compromise on color, dynamic range and view angles, so don't buy this monitor if you do photo or art work at a professional level. One annoying omission is the lack of a Gamma setting, particularly as it is very high at the start. So I've had to use the controls in my graphics card configuration software instead (AMD Catalyst Control Centre) to set it right down to 0.55. Only then could I sensibly configure the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Sharpness on the monitor (5, 50, 30, 50). You might want to google "lagom lcd test" for more information, and you will need to run the Windows ClearType application too.

Getting the maximum of 144Hz on the desktop is as easy as changing your Control Panel Display Settings, but some older DirectX games don't have an option for refresh rate, and you have to set the "ForceRefreshRate" registry settings, which work on all versions of Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate"=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)

Consequently I would have appreciated a quick way of checking the current refresh rate within each game (my old monitor showed it in the OSD menu) but the well-known FRAPS application can be used to check the frame rate is 144 instead.

This monitor does have extra functions for 3D, aimpoint crosshairs, timers, and smart contrast (ASCR), but I haven't used those.

Squeezing 144Hz out of a TN panel is impressive, and the claimed negligible input lag made a difference - I'm scoring better online already. The other monitor with a comparable specification is the BenQ XL2411T, but that only has a color gamut of 72% which is unacceptable to me as I occasionally do some graphical design work.

So thank you ASUS - but now I'm eager for a 200Hz panel with IPS-level quality!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Defiantly the best monitor I have ever used, 1 Oct. 2014
Defiantly the best monitor I have ever used.

Please do bare in mind that this is a TN panel. If you are doing any serious art work then I would not recommend this monitor.

The first thing i noticed when I booted up the monitor was the frankly awful colour and its brightness. This did take a while to get right but once I had it I was amazed. The kind of quality from a TN panel is extremely impressive. Definitely worth doing, even if you don't care much for colour I cannot recommend adjusting it enough. Just do it. It is night and day difference.

144hz is an amazing experience when playing faced pace games like FPS or racing games. I own a gtx 770 and it is more than enough to show off the extra refresh rate. It is an amazing experience and I am sure i will find it hard to go back to 60hz if I ever need to.

The 3D I have NEVER used. I have no intention of ever using it. I bought this monitor for the refresh rate and it is more than worth it just for that.

The only problem I have with it is the base of the stand. The design of it does not look good in my opinion. I would have much preferred a plain black base. That being said it is a vesa mount so if I wish I can easily change the stand to whatever I wish which is compatible.

For all wondering, these are my settings:

Monitor settings

Digital Vibrance - 73%
Hue - 0

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for gaming but weak for other uses., 24 Feb. 2014
G. WOODRUFF - See all my reviews
I was previously using a 1440p Dell IPS panel but found it was too big (issues with peripheral vision) and too slow (blur/lag) for competitive online gaming.

So I bought this monitor due to its response times and refresh rate.

From a gaming perspective this screen delivers. Out of the box I went into NVIDIA control panel and set the refresh to 144hz. I then used MSI Afterburner to cap my frame rate at 150fps. I immediately noticed the benefits just moving the mouse pointer around in windows. Games are way smoother and you can easily see the difference between 144hz and 60hz.

I can now play games like Counterstrike without having to use VSYNC (creates input lag) and without screen-tearing. I found that running at 120hz still gave me screen tearing so I am glad I got this monitor with its extra speed because at 144hz I cannot detect any tearing at all. I cap the frame rate to stop my cards running at 100%/300fps and wasting electricity/generating unnecessary heat/noise.

There is no tearing when the fps is capped just above 144 (i.e. 150) or if it is uncapped. If I cap it to 144 or lower I do see a lot of tearing.

As for the negatives, well the settings out of the box are absolutely ridiculous. There are many sites that tell you what to set the brightness, contrast and colours to. Brightness in particular was way over the top.

Also compared to my old IPS screen it really does look poor. It is all relative of course as it doesn't look bad by any means for a TN panel, it just looks no where near as good as an IPS. I mean not even in the same league - they are light years apart. If you aren't gaming online or are just playing single player games then avoid this monitor at all costs and buy an IPS screen.

However I cannot mark this down for its poor comparison with IPS screens as let's face it if you are reading this you are looking for a specific niche gaming monitor and you know exactly why you are making the sacrifice. So I am only deducting one star for the terrible default settings out of the box.

Aside from that it is a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I will likely buy another screen in 6 months or so when GSYNC monitors are released and hopefully before long IPS panels will deliver the speed and responsiveness of monitors like this so there won't be a trade off any more. You might want to consider whether it is worth spending now or holding on for 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gaming and 3d is brilliant, 14 Jan. 2014
My husband is a fussy boots, he had the benq 27 monitor, moaned that it was washed out and not fun to play his games on. Admittedly I had to agree, It looked like it was fogged or something.

So it was returned for this panel.

Glad I did, not only is he very happy with his gaming, I am happy with the 3d vision. I now pester him to look at 3d movies, kids simply take it over too.

So if you have been reading any BAD reviews of this, rest assured that they must have had a bad panel. Asus stand by the product for 3 years, that's good enough for him

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days but seems great, 10 May 2013
I only got this monitor a few days ago but I like it very much already. I had a bad experience with a 24" BenQ I had to return and this is the replacement. Not the reason it went back, but the BenQ did seem a bit small at 24" sitting beside a 30" Apple Cinema Display (old but still lovely). The 27" Asus shapes up nicely and the default colour settings reached via menu options are just brilliant.

Maybe I should have bought the monitor with the built-in IR emitter for the 3D glasses. I regret now that I didn't because trying to get a seller to send me the right glasses kit with the IR emitter included has been so painful. Two glasses sets have already been returned because the sellers can't seem to get it right when it comes to packaging an Nvidia Vision 2 Glasses KIT. That's not Asus's fault, of course, and I wouldn't have had the problem if I had got the monitor with in-built emitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus VG278HE, 2 Sept. 2013
Nice monitor and nice picture, but unfortunately mine came with 2 bad/stuck pixels... I was really happy when amazon was happy to replace it...
Now I have received 2nd one and it has just 1 bad/stuck pixel... Dunno if amazon will replace it again but this kind of sucks as I would like to have 0 bads with the new monitor... (It's a bit lower then the middle of screen but I hate and see it clearly on black/dark images which really breaks it all...
I dunno what should I do if the 3rd one has bads as well or is not issued because I'm really happy abut this monitor...

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent quality all round, helpful links included, 14 Mar. 2013
i choose this monitor due to the what i read about it, for what it can do. i also read all the reviews about it. for the price... it was totally worth it, the games, films, pictures... everything is in excellent quality and runs verry smoothly. it comes with the power cable, vga and dvi cables, even a double ended audio cable due to the monitor has its own speakers, the sound was the same as my old speakers, so no more speakers for me, my desk is alot less cluttered now. alot of people say "its too bright" or "colours are off", this was easily fixed, there are some excellent pre-sets available and changing the colour, brightness, contrast or anything else is easily sorted out with the easy on board menu and the monitors tactile buttons.

For a monitor it has a thin to medium sized border, quality is excellent from design to actual use, it even arrived two days later by courrier. i would totally recommend this to friends, family... anyone really, even if you wanted multiple monitors... its great. below are links to two videos that helped me choose this monitor.

Unboxing and first look - [...]
Review and showcase - [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for gaming, 8 Jun. 2014
I bought this monitor for gaming (as most of the people around here I guess). It is really good. The 144 Hz make a difference, even for simple things. It feels smoother and more responsive.

On the downside, when I turned on the monitor for the first time, it was completely unadjusted. Everything felt white-ish. I had to borrow a monitor calibrator from a friend to actually set it up properly. You can do this manually, but it takes some time. Also the controls on the monitor don't allow for big changes, so you might have to adjust contrast and brightness by using your GPU's software.

You can visit this link to see the reasons why choose a higher refresh rate: [...]

Also, keep in mind that this monitor doesn't have gsync. A newer model is expected soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Monitor for Gaming, 20 May 2013
I. Earl "Iain529" (SW England) - See all my reviews
This monitor is outstanding. It has a fast refresh rate of 144Hz, giving you higher frame rates when V-Sync is enabled. Colours are fantastic after a few tweaks in the HUD and the brightness is incredible. Using the monitor everyday, I have the brightness turned down to 25, so there's a lot of headroom to crank it up when needed.

I had an issue with a dead pixel but I contacted ASUS and they're shipping out a replacement for me, no problem.

I'd definitely recommend this monitor to any gamers out there who are looking for the best experience.