5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

Published 17 months ago by Mr A.M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead/ Stuck Pixels
When I first got the monitor I was so happy. It looked nice and I loved it. I didn't actually notice the dead pixels until a week later. There are 2 red pixels and 1 blue pixel on the monitor screen which can be seen clearly under white background.
Published 4 months ago by Edmar Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D LED Monitor - Black (1920x1080, 80000000:1, 144 Hz, 1ms, DVI Display Port, HDMI) (Accessory)
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

A quick background - thanks to consoles and the HDMI standard, the industry has settled for 60Hz and concentrated on graphical effects instead. That's OK for playing games on a TV, but it results in jerky first-person shooters and driving simulations. When your reactions don't appear to affect the display instantly then the experience becomes remote and unrewarding, and it is more difficult to achieve your best performance or improve your skills. The human eye can notice the difference between hundreds of frames per second (ignore people who tell you it's 24 FPS - that is a *minimum* for achieving convincing motion, not a maximum). Basically, PC gamers were missing the fluidity of old 1990s CRTs that could do refresh rates of 100Hz and more.

Out of the box, this monitor has poor default settings (they all do) and it takes a fair bit of time to get it looking OK. You must expect to compromise on color, dynamic range and view angles, so don't buy this monitor if you do photo or art work at a professional level. One annoying omission is the lack of a Gamma setting, particularly as it is very high at the start. So I've had to use the controls in my graphics card configuration software instead (AMD Catalyst Control Centre) to set it right down to 0.55. Only then could I sensibly configure the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Sharpness on the monitor (5, 50, 30, 50). You might want to google "lagom lcd test" for more information, and you will need to run the Windows ClearType application too.

Getting the maximum of 144Hz on the desktop is as easy as changing your Control Panel Display Settings, but some older DirectX games don't have an option for refresh rate, and you have to set the "ForceRefreshRate" registry settings, which work on all versions of Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate"=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)

Consequently I would have appreciated a quick way of checking the current refresh rate within each game (my old monitor showed it in the OSD menu) but the well-known FRAPS application can be used to check the frame rate is 144 instead.

This monitor does have extra functions for 3D, aimpoint crosshairs, timers, and smart contrast (ASCR), but I haven't used those.

Squeezing 144Hz out of a TN panel is impressive, and the claimed negligible input lag made a difference - I'm scoring better online already. The other monitor with a comparable specification is the BenQ XL2411T, but that only has a color gamut of 72% which is unacceptable to me as I occasionally do some graphical design work.

So thank you ASUS - but now I'm eager for a 200Hz panel with IPS-level quality!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for gaming but weak for other uses., 24 Feb 2014
G. WOODRUFF - See all my reviews
I was previously using a 1440p Dell IPS panel but found it was too big (issues with peripheral vision) and too slow (blur/lag) for competitive online gaming.

So I bought this monitor due to its response times and refresh rate.

From a gaming perspective this screen delivers. Out of the box I went into NVIDIA control panel and set the refresh to 144hz. I then used MSI Afterburner to cap my frame rate at 150fps. I immediately noticed the benefits just moving the mouse pointer around in windows. Games are way smoother and you can easily see the difference between 144hz and 60hz.

I can now play games like Counterstrike without having to use VSYNC (creates input lag) and without screen-tearing. I found that running at 120hz still gave me screen tearing so I am glad I got this monitor with its extra speed because at 144hz I cannot detect any tearing at all. I cap the frame rate to stop my cards running at 100%/300fps and wasting electricity/generating unnecessary heat/noise.

There is no tearing when the fps is capped just above 144 (i.e. 150) or if it is uncapped. If I cap it to 144 or lower I do see a lot of tearing.

As for the negatives, well the settings out of the box are absolutely ridiculous. There are many sites that tell you what to set the brightness, contrast and colours to. Brightness in particular was way over the top.

Also compared to my old IPS screen it really does look poor. It is all relative of course as it doesn't look bad by any means for a TN panel, it just looks no where near as good as an IPS. I mean not even in the same league - they are light years apart. If you aren't gaming online or are just playing single player games then avoid this monitor at all costs and buy an IPS screen.

However I cannot mark this down for its poor comparison with IPS screens as let's face it if you are reading this you are looking for a specific niche gaming monitor and you know exactly why you are making the sacrifice. So I am only deducting one star for the terrible default settings out of the box.

Aside from that it is a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I will likely buy another screen in 6 months or so when GSYNC monitors are released and hopefully before long IPS panels will deliver the speed and responsiveness of monitors like this so there won't be a trade off any more. You might want to consider whether it is worth spending now or holding on for 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing after a few tweaks, 23 July 2014
Bought this recently after a lot of looking around the interwebs reading many reviews and opinions as well as speaking to friends to find a decent priced gaming monitor. Many review sites rated it highly and other monitors with the same functionality appeared to cost more.

Firstly if you are unsure if the jump to 144Hz is worth it in my opinion it totally is, not sure I could now go back to 60Hz gaming without feeling a small part of me has died. Also if you are unsure if your GPU could take advantage of it well, I currently run a 660Ti and in pretty much every game I have tested with it there has been no issue and framerates have been good enough for the increase in Hz to be noticable.

For a comparison on the 60Hz and 120Hz debate there are plenty of videos on YouTube that are easy to find for a decent comparison but most of those do not do the difference justice in my opinion.

Another huge benefit is the lack of ghosting images, I really hadn't realised how much images were ghosting on my old 60hz 5ms LG monitor, the difference here is also like night and day.

The only real negatives I can confirm is that the default settings are pretty poor, when i initially turned it on I could have been looking directly at the light of a thousand suns, such was the level of brightness that the preset came as. I think my corneas have been burned.

A bit of googling and it was relatively easy to find some decent presets as a starter on the likes of Tom's Hardware or whatever. For reference I used the following:-

Splendid Mode: Standard
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 35
Color Temp: User *RGB: Red 96 / Green 94 / Blue 88

This brought the brightness and contrasts down to a level that did not feel as though someone was blowtorching my eyes although the colours did appear a little washed out.

There is a simple fix for this however by simply downloading an ICC profile for the monitor and installing via the instructions from the tftcentral website and I have to say the monitor looks great after that.

It does come with a DVI-D cable but it is relatively short, I would recommend using DVI-D or Display Port if you are going to take advantage of the 144Hz as HDMI will not be able to cut it. If you plan on replacing the supplied DVI-D cable for a longer one then make sure you get a dual link one to ensure you get the full functionality (they are only around 5 for a decent one).

If you are in the market for a new monitor and are looking at this and wondering if the jump to 144Hz is worth it then the answer from me is BUY IT NOW!!!

If you are running a very old GPU or are using the monitor for non-gaming applications then I would suggest an IPS monitor at 60Hz.

In summary this is a great monitor at a great price for the spec that is offered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoooooth!, 5 Feb 2014
This monitor came well packed and came on time as expected. The monitor looks superb and the features are great (tilt, swivel, height adjust, ect). the menus are easy to work through and the buttons are easy to access and light up very nicely. You cant see the lights while you are gaming not to distract you (well positioned).

144hz is amazing! Its totally smooth and i cant see any tracers what so ever! You will notice this by just working through the desktop. Gaming on this monitor is brilliant and guess what?... no screen tear! farcry3 from my experience of playing the game with an older monitor had screen tear and lots of it so i thought it would be a good test for it and it passed with flying colors not one tear in hours :D.

But!... the color is not amazing seems quite saturated but its not too bad you wont notice that much. I would not recommend for media purposes but for gaming who cares about color? i wanted raw speed and that is what i got 100%.

This is an excellent for monitor for gaming well worth it for the price you pay and looks sweet on the desk lol would highly recommend this product well happy.

P.S In the menu make sure you have trace free set to *0* not *100* as you will see tracers. At *0* you wont see anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing monitor., 19 Jan 2014
I simply love this monitor. 144hz is the best thing made. I don't know why a minority complain about the colour accuracy, out of the box greens are oversaturated and oranges look red, but some googling and changing of monitor settings makes it amazing. The colour is degraded at 144hz, so when browsing/watching a movie simply change it to 60hz is nvidia control panel/amd catalyst and it looks even more stellar. Games have never been smoother, although unless you have a beefy machine you will not avail of the 144hz in the majority of games. The built in crosshair function is also useful in games with hardcore mode. 10/10 for me, will probably buy another to go dual monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Monitor for Gaming, 20 May 2013
I. Earl "Iain529" (SW England) - See all my reviews
This monitor is outstanding. It has a fast refresh rate of 144Hz, giving you higher frame rates when V-Sync is enabled. Colours are fantastic after a few tweaks in the HUD and the brightness is incredible. Using the monitor everyday, I have the brightness turned down to 25, so there's a lot of headroom to crank it up when needed.

I had an issue with a dead pixel but I contacted ASUS and they're shipping out a replacement for me, no problem.

I'd definitely recommend this monitor to any gamers out there who are looking for the best experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor but slightly pricy, 24 Feb 2014
Before this I was using a generic 60hz monitor for gaming and general use. As soon as I got it set up and played some games I noticed the difference immediately. So much smoother than regular monitors. The colours seemed a bit off at first but you can download an ICC profile for the monitor and that will help. If you want to you can also use a lightboost hack with this monitor which will make the screen a bit dimmer but will provide an even smoother experience than the 144hz option.

I would recommend it but admittedly it is a little overpriced so it gets 4 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome screen!, 19 Jun 2014
Excellent quality, I've read that the biggest default of this screen is the sound, but I find it actually quite good even if not very loud or bass-rich (I bought the screen last year and still haven't gotten around to buy the high-quality speakers I dream of). Haven't tried 3D, but I bought it for screen quality and super-low latency - I was not deceived! Playing on it is a bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect monitor., 11 Jan 2014
Daniel Slade - See all my reviews
The ASUS VG248QE is really the perfect gaming monitor, I was blown away when I first plugged it in and switched to 144hz, The difference is noticeable instantly, If your still playing on a 60/70hz monitor then I feel for you .. Buy this monitor! It's the perfect monitor for any hardcore PC gamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was using a 1440x900 60hz monitor before this, ..., 10 July 2014
I was using a 1440x900 60hz monitor before this, after making the move to 1080p and 144hz i don't think i'll ever go back to 60hz the smoothness in games and on the desktop is incredible aswell as this being one of the few 'gaming' monitors that don't loose out on color.