5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

Published 17 months ago by Mr A.M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead/ Stuck Pixels
When I first got the monitor I was so happy. It looked nice and I loved it. I didn't actually notice the dead pixels until a week later. There are 2 red pixels and 1 blue pixel on the monitor screen which can be seen clearly under white background.
Published 4 months ago by Edmar Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D LED Monitor - Black (1920x1080, 80000000:1, 144 Hz, 1ms, DVI Display Port, HDMI) (Accessory)
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

A quick background - thanks to consoles and the HDMI standard, the industry has settled for 60Hz and concentrated on graphical effects instead. That's OK for playing games on a TV, but it results in jerky first-person shooters and driving simulations. When your reactions don't appear to affect the display instantly then the experience becomes remote and unrewarding, and it is more difficult to achieve your best performance or improve your skills. The human eye can notice the difference between hundreds of frames per second (ignore people who tell you it's 24 FPS - that is a *minimum* for achieving convincing motion, not a maximum). Basically, PC gamers were missing the fluidity of old 1990s CRTs that could do refresh rates of 100Hz and more.

Out of the box, this monitor has poor default settings (they all do) and it takes a fair bit of time to get it looking OK. You must expect to compromise on color, dynamic range and view angles, so don't buy this monitor if you do photo or art work at a professional level. One annoying omission is the lack of a Gamma setting, particularly as it is very high at the start. So I've had to use the controls in my graphics card configuration software instead (AMD Catalyst Control Centre) to set it right down to 0.55. Only then could I sensibly configure the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Sharpness on the monitor (5, 50, 30, 50). You might want to google "lagom lcd test" for more information, and you will need to run the Windows ClearType application too.

Getting the maximum of 144Hz on the desktop is as easy as changing your Control Panel Display Settings, but some older DirectX games don't have an option for refresh rate, and you have to set the "ForceRefreshRate" registry settings, which work on all versions of Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate"=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)

Consequently I would have appreciated a quick way of checking the current refresh rate within each game (my old monitor showed it in the OSD menu) but the well-known FRAPS application can be used to check the frame rate is 144 instead.

This monitor does have extra functions for 3D, aimpoint crosshairs, timers, and smart contrast (ASCR), but I haven't used those.

Squeezing 144Hz out of a TN panel is impressive, and the claimed negligible input lag made a difference - I'm scoring better online already. The other monitor with a comparable specification is the BenQ XL2411T, but that only has a color gamut of 72% which is unacceptable to me as I occasionally do some graphical design work.

So thank you ASUS - but now I'm eager for a 200Hz panel with IPS-level quality!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for gaming but weak for other uses., 24 Feb 2014
G. WOODRUFF - See all my reviews
I was previously using a 1440p Dell IPS panel but found it was too big (issues with peripheral vision) and too slow (blur/lag) for competitive online gaming.

So I bought this monitor due to its response times and refresh rate.

From a gaming perspective this screen delivers. Out of the box I went into NVIDIA control panel and set the refresh to 144hz. I then used MSI Afterburner to cap my frame rate at 150fps. I immediately noticed the benefits just moving the mouse pointer around in windows. Games are way smoother and you can easily see the difference between 144hz and 60hz.

I can now play games like Counterstrike without having to use VSYNC (creates input lag) and without screen-tearing. I found that running at 120hz still gave me screen tearing so I am glad I got this monitor with its extra speed because at 144hz I cannot detect any tearing at all. I cap the frame rate to stop my cards running at 100%/300fps and wasting electricity/generating unnecessary heat/noise.

There is no tearing when the fps is capped just above 144 (i.e. 150) or if it is uncapped. If I cap it to 144 or lower I do see a lot of tearing.

As for the negatives, well the settings out of the box are absolutely ridiculous. There are many sites that tell you what to set the brightness, contrast and colours to. Brightness in particular was way over the top.

Also compared to my old IPS screen it really does look poor. It is all relative of course as it doesn't look bad by any means for a TN panel, it just looks no where near as good as an IPS. I mean not even in the same league - they are light years apart. If you aren't gaming online or are just playing single player games then avoid this monitor at all costs and buy an IPS screen.

However I cannot mark this down for its poor comparison with IPS screens as let's face it if you are reading this you are looking for a specific niche gaming monitor and you know exactly why you are making the sacrifice. So I am only deducting one star for the terrible default settings out of the box.

Aside from that it is a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I will likely buy another screen in 6 months or so when GSYNC monitors are released and hopefully before long IPS panels will deliver the speed and responsiveness of monitors like this so there won't be a trade off any more. You might want to consider whether it is worth spending now or holding on for 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Monitor for Gaming, 20 May 2013
I. Earl "Iain529" (SW England) - See all my reviews
This monitor is outstanding. It has a fast refresh rate of 144Hz, giving you higher frame rates when V-Sync is enabled. Colours are fantastic after a few tweaks in the HUD and the brightness is incredible. Using the monitor everyday, I have the brightness turned down to 25, so there's a lot of headroom to crank it up when needed.

I had an issue with a dead pixel but I contacted ASUS and they're shipping out a replacement for me, no problem.

I'd definitely recommend this monitor to any gamers out there who are looking for the best experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing after a few tweaks, 23 July 2014
Bought this recently after a lot of looking around the interwebs reading many reviews and opinions as well as speaking to friends to find a decent priced gaming monitor. Many review sites rated it highly and other monitors with the same functionality appeared to cost more.

Firstly if you are unsure if the jump to 144Hz is worth it in my opinion it totally is, not sure I could now go back to 60Hz gaming without feeling a small part of me has died. Also if you are unsure if your GPU could take advantage of it well, I currently run a 660Ti and in pretty much every game I have tested with it there has been no issue and framerates have been good enough for the increase in Hz to be noticable.

For a comparison on the 60Hz and 120Hz debate there are plenty of videos on YouTube that are easy to find for a decent comparison but most of those do not do the difference justice in my opinion.

Another huge benefit is the lack of ghosting images, I really hadn't realised how much images were ghosting on my old 60hz 5ms LG monitor, the difference here is also like night and day.

The only real negatives I can confirm is that the default settings are pretty poor, when i initially turned it on I could have been looking directly at the light of a thousand suns, such was the level of brightness that the preset came as. I think my corneas have been burned.

A bit of googling and it was relatively easy to find some decent presets as a starter on the likes of Tom's Hardware or whatever. For reference I used the following:-

Splendid Mode: Standard
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 35
Color Temp: User *RGB: Red 96 / Green 94 / Blue 88

This brought the brightness and contrasts down to a level that did not feel as though someone was blowtorching my eyes although the colours did appear a little washed out.

There is a simple fix for this however by simply downloading an ICC profile for the monitor and installing via the instructions from the tftcentral website and I have to say the monitor looks great after that.

It does come with a DVI-D cable but it is relatively short, I would recommend using DVI-D or Display Port if you are going to take advantage of the 144Hz as HDMI will not be able to cut it. If you plan on replacing the supplied DVI-D cable for a longer one then make sure you get a dual link one to ensure you get the full functionality (they are only around 5 for a decent one).

If you are in the market for a new monitor and are looking at this and wondering if the jump to 144Hz is worth it then the answer from me is BUY IT NOW!!!

If you are running a very old GPU or are using the monitor for non-gaming applications then I would suggest an IPS monitor at 60Hz.

In summary this is a great monitor at a great price for the spec that is offered.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead/ Stuck Pixels, 28 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars I was using a 1440x900 60hz monitor before this, ..., 10 July 2014
I was using a 1440x900 60hz monitor before this, after making the move to 1080p and 144hz i don't think i'll ever go back to 60hz the smoothness in games and on the desktop is incredible aswell as this being one of the few 'gaming' monitors that don't loose out on color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome screen!, 19 Jun 2014
Excellent quality, I've read that the biggest default of this screen is the sound, but I find it actually quite good even if not very loud or bass-rich (I bought the screen last year and still haven't gotten around to buy the high-quality speakers I dream of). Haven't tried 3D, but I bought it for screen quality and super-low latency - I was not deceived! Playing on it is a bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Clear and so smooth, 17 Jun 2014
The best monitor money can buy!!!! It is Super Clear and so smooth. I use it for games and films perfect investment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for gaming, 8 Jun 2014
I bought this monitor for gaming (as most of the people around here I guess). It is really good. The 144 Hz make a difference, even for simple things. It feels smoother and more responsive.

On the downside, when I turned on the monitor for the first time, it was completely unadjusted. Everything felt white-ish. I had to borrow a monitor calibrator from a friend to actually set it up properly. You can do this manually, but it takes some time. Also the controls on the monitor don't allow for big changes, so you might have to adjust contrast and brightness by using your GPU's software.

You can visit this link to see the reasons why choose a higher refresh rate: [...]

Also, keep in mind that this monitor doesn't have gsync. A newer model is expected soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome gaming monitor, 2 Jun 2014
The screen is absolutely brilliant compared to the 60hz samsung monitor I previously owned which was also LED however gaming in 120hz and even 144hz is super amazing I don't think ill ever be able to go back to 60hz it's just feels too sluggish.
This would of been 5 stars had it not been a glossy panel encasing the screen it attracts way too much dust and can feel hot at times but other than that I feel that this screen is a must buy!