5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

Published on 2 Mar. 2013 by Mez

3.0 out of 5 stars PWM FLICKER BEWARE
Beware of the PWM flicker. If you are sensitive to PWM flicker for brightness control you should consider a PWM free monitor. I had consistent migraines looking at this monitor. I returned and bought a BENQ XL2430t and it is awesome!

If you have already purchased, you need to turn brightness on the monitor to 100% and use other means to reduce the brightness on...
Published 27 days ago by Conal S.

5.0 out of 5 stars The future of PC gaming, 2 Mar. 2013
Mez (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D LED Monitor - Black (1920x1080, 80000000:1, 144 Hz, 1ms, DVI Display Port, HDMI) (Accessory)
I've been waiting for this monitor for years.

A quick background - thanks to consoles and the HDMI standard, the industry has settled for 60Hz and concentrated on graphical effects instead. That's OK for playing games on a TV, but it results in jerky first-person shooters and driving simulations. When your reactions don't appear to affect the display instantly then the experience becomes remote and unrewarding, and it is more difficult to achieve your best performance or improve your skills. The human eye can notice the difference between hundreds of frames per second (ignore people who tell you it's 24 FPS - that is a *minimum* for achieving convincing motion, not a maximum). Basically, PC gamers were missing the fluidity of old 1990s CRTs that could do refresh rates of 100Hz and more.

Out of the box, this monitor has poor default settings (they all do) and it takes a fair bit of time to get it looking OK. You must expect to compromise on color, dynamic range and view angles, so don't buy this monitor if you do photo or art work at a professional level. One annoying omission is the lack of a Gamma setting, particularly as it is very high at the start. So I've had to use the controls in my graphics card configuration software instead (AMD Catalyst Control Centre) to set it right down to 0.55. Only then could I sensibly configure the Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Sharpness on the monitor (5, 50, 30, 50). You might want to google "lagom lcd test" for more information, and you will need to run the Windows ClearType application too.

Getting the maximum of 144Hz on the desktop is as easy as changing your Control Panel Display Settings, but some older DirectX games don't have an option for refresh rate, and you have to set the "ForceRefreshRate" registry settings, which work on all versions of Windows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw
ForceRefreshRate"=dword:00000090 (144 in hexadecimal)

Consequently I would have appreciated a quick way of checking the current refresh rate within each game (my old monitor showed it in the OSD menu) but the well-known FRAPS application can be used to check the frame rate is 144 instead.

This monitor does have extra functions for 3D, aimpoint crosshairs, timers, and smart contrast (ASCR), but I haven't used those.

Squeezing 144Hz out of a TN panel is impressive, and the claimed negligible input lag made a difference - I'm scoring better online already. The other monitor with a comparable specification is the BenQ XL2411T, but that only has a color gamut of 72% which is unacceptable to me as I occasionally do some graphical design work.

So thank you ASUS - but now I'm eager for a 200Hz panel with IPS-level quality!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for gaming but weak for other uses., 24 Feb. 2014
G. WOODRUFF - See all my reviews
I was previously using a 1440p Dell IPS panel but found it was too big (issues with peripheral vision) and too slow (blur/lag) for competitive online gaming.

So I bought this monitor due to its response times and refresh rate.

From a gaming perspective this screen delivers. Out of the box I went into NVIDIA control panel and set the refresh to 144hz. I then used MSI Afterburner to cap my frame rate at 150fps. I immediately noticed the benefits just moving the mouse pointer around in windows. Games are way smoother and you can easily see the difference between 144hz and 60hz.

I can now play games like Counterstrike without having to use VSYNC (creates input lag) and without screen-tearing. I found that running at 120hz still gave me screen tearing so I am glad I got this monitor with its extra speed because at 144hz I cannot detect any tearing at all. I cap the frame rate to stop my cards running at 100%/300fps and wasting electricity/generating unnecessary heat/noise.

There is no tearing when the fps is capped just above 144 (i.e. 150) or if it is uncapped. If I cap it to 144 or lower I do see a lot of tearing.

As for the negatives, well the settings out of the box are absolutely ridiculous. There are many sites that tell you what to set the brightness, contrast and colours to. Brightness in particular was way over the top.

Also compared to my old IPS screen it really does look poor. It is all relative of course as it doesn't look bad by any means for a TN panel, it just looks no where near as good as an IPS. I mean not even in the same league - they are light years apart. If you aren't gaming online or are just playing single player games then avoid this monitor at all costs and buy an IPS screen.

However I cannot mark this down for its poor comparison with IPS screens as let's face it if you are reading this you are looking for a specific niche gaming monitor and you know exactly why you are making the sacrifice. So I am only deducting one star for the terrible default settings out of the box.

Aside from that it is a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I will likely buy another screen in 6 months or so when GSYNC monitors are released and hopefully before long IPS panels will deliver the speed and responsiveness of monitors like this so there won't be a trade off any more. You might want to consider whether it is worth spending now or holding on for 6 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Defiantly the best monitor I have ever used, 1 Oct. 2014
Defiantly the best monitor I have ever used.

Please do bare in mind that this is a TN panel. If you are doing any serious art work then I would not recommend this monitor.

The first thing i noticed when I booted up the monitor was the frankly awful colour and its brightness. This did take a while to get right but once I had it I was amazed. The kind of quality from a TN panel is extremely impressive. Definitely worth doing, even if you don't care much for colour I cannot recommend adjusting it enough. Just do it. It is night and day difference.

144hz is an amazing experience when playing faced pace games like FPS or racing games. I own a gtx 770 and it is more than enough to show off the extra refresh rate. It is an amazing experience and I am sure i will find it hard to go back to 60hz if I ever need to.

The 3D I have NEVER used. I have no intention of ever using it. I bought this monitor for the refresh rate and it is more than worth it just for that.

The only problem I have with it is the base of the stand. The design of it does not look good in my opinion. I would have much preferred a plain black base. That being said it is a vesa mount so if I wish I can easily change the stand to whatever I wish which is compatible.

For all wondering, these are my settings:

Monitor settings

Gamma - 1.00
Digital Vibrance - 73%
Hue - 0

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for gaming, 8 Jun. 2014
I bought this monitor for gaming (as most of the people around here I guess). It is really good. The 144 Hz make a difference, even for simple things. It feels smoother and more responsive.

On the downside, when I turned on the monitor for the first time, it was completely unadjusted. Everything felt white-ish. I had to borrow a monitor calibrator from a friend to actually set it up properly. You can do this manually, but it takes some time. Also the controls on the monitor don't allow for big changes, so you might have to adjust contrast and brightness by using your GPU's software.

You can visit this link to see the reasons why choose a higher refresh rate: [...]

Also, keep in mind that this monitor doesn't have gsync. A newer model is expected soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing monitor., 19 Jan. 2014
I simply love this monitor. 144hz is the best thing made. I don't know why a minority complain about the colour accuracy, out of the box greens are oversaturated and oranges look red, but some googling and changing of monitor settings makes it amazing. The colour is degraded at 144hz, so when browsing/watching a movie simply change it to 60hz is nvidia control panel/amd catalyst and it looks even more stellar. Games have never been smoother, although unless you have a beefy machine you will not avail of the 144hz in the majority of games. The built in crosshair function is also useful in games with hardcore mode. 10/10 for me, will probably buy another to go dual monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Monitor for Gaming, 20 May 2013
I. Earl "Iain529" (SW England) - See all my reviews
This monitor is outstanding. It has a fast refresh rate of 144Hz, giving you higher frame rates when V-Sync is enabled. Colours are fantastic after a few tweaks in the HUD and the brightness is incredible. Using the monitor everyday, I have the brightness turned down to 25, so there's a lot of headroom to crank it up when needed.

I had an issue with a dead pixel but I contacted ASUS and they're shipping out a replacement for me, no problem.

I'd definitely recommend this monitor to any gamers out there who are looking for the best experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for it's price., 4 Oct. 2014
I bought the Asus VG248QE last week, and I am very happy with my purchase. If you are anything like me, you will do a lot of research before making a decision. While reading the reviews for this monitor, most of them were good but some people complained about the washed out colors. Now, I have never had an IPS panel, so couldn't tell you how it's doing compared to that but compared to my SAMSUNG (bought around 5 years ago) monitor I have been using until now, you can really see the difference in quality.

First of all, the 144hz refresh rate really makes the difference. Even when just using your computer for everyday activities or casual gaming, the screen is just more fluent. It's one of those things that is hard to explain and you will probably do fine without, but once you have it, you never want to go back.

Second of all, the washed out colors: when i first turned on the monitor, they were pretty washed out - can't deny that. But it took my literally less than 10 minutes to find more appropriate settings on-line, and after applying them, the colors look much better. So if you are having doubts about buying this monitor just because of the supposedly washed out colors, rest easily as this is very easily corrected.

Other than that, the build quality, the pivot, tilt and so on are all great. Only thing I haven't tried yet is 3D.

I would pretty much recommend this monitor for any gamer. Both hardcore and casual. There are definitely better monitors out there but this one wins when it comes to price/quality ratio, and if you're anything like me, you will love this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 3D gaming monitor, 22 Nov. 2014
Iain Tricker (Glasgow, Lanarkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I enjoy stereoscopic 3D blu-ray movies and PC gaming. This monitor delivers!
144 Hz refresh rate is astonishingly clear.
Displayport, DVI and HDMI inputs give plenty of connection options.
The stand is easily flexible for tilt, height and rotation. You can rotate through 90 degrees for portrait or landscape viewing.
3D content is simply stunning - this monitor is "Nvidia 3D Vision ready" but doesn't have a built-in IR emitter - meaning you also need to have an Nvidia active wireless 3D glasses kit with USB emitter to make the 3D glasses work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome screen!, 19 Jun. 2014
Excellent quality, I've read that the biggest default of this screen is the sound, but I find it actually quite good even if not very loud or bass-rich (I bought the screen last year and still haven't gotten around to buy the high-quality speakers I dream of). Haven't tried 3D, but I bought it for screen quality and super-low latency - I was not deceived! Playing on it is a bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was so happy that I bought two!, 31 Mar. 2015
I finally decided to bite the bullet and build myself a high end gaming rig and there is no point in having a powerful system if you don't have a decent monitor to complement it and that's exactly what these monitor does!

I've had this monitor for a couple months now and its been great! The images look fantastic and the 144mz display makes game look to fluid and smooth. what made my choose this monitor over the BenQ comparison was the fact that this had in-built speakers. I don't have a stereo system and don't wish to be wearing my headset all the time so having built in speakers was key for me choosing this over other competitors.

My only negative (and this is really nit picking) is that the colour straight out the box isn't that great, dont get me wrong it still look great but not as good as I've seen in other display. But with a bit a tweaking in the setting of the monitor and my graphics card i was able to achieve a great image in the end.