Published 1 month ago by tpseesall

Before you start assuming i dislike this game due to the rating. I did highly enjoy Dark Souls 2, the world of Drangleic and the areas you visit are really cool to explore. But the scale of the game is nothing compared to the first Dark Souls game which in my eyes was a masterpeice.

Published 1 month ago by Joel Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars A love/hate relationship, ending with lots more love than hate., 29 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I have had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this game. I am pretty close to the end of the standard game and now I am happy to say I love it. It might be one of my all time favorite games and that's saying something, beats the pants off skyrim and comes very close to my World of Warcraft days. Although I couldn't have given it any less than the 5-star game it has proven itself to be, I do have a couple of major gripes with it which Id like to have marked it down for but just couldn't in the end.

If you are a new player to the series, *beware*. I was new to the series and the learning curve is very very steep indeed. I found this game very hard to get my head around and the user friendliness of it at the start is close to zero. Don't expect anything to be explained because it wont be, you'll learn the hard way. I have spent so much time on the internet looking for answers as to why? where? what the..??? I made some early mistakes in the game (as any new player might) and I was punished for this as the game proceeded. I restarted the game over maybe five times before a few things started to make sense (from internet research mainly). I died, oh my I died, so so many times. The second boss fight (I wont give details) had me completely raging at the difficulty of it, But gradually with all the amazing information available online things slowly fell into place, I learned basic things you need to know to progress like summoning, not to accidentally switch the game difficultly to hard and I settled in for the ride. Having said this even now I need to get answers online, but in a way I enjoy that aspect of the game as I did with WOW. I do think early on in the game new players need way more help (and effigies) and instruction as Im sure others might have quit and missed out, I was so close to quitting myself but im a glutton for punishment it seems and Im glad I stayed with it.

I love the graphics, I love the darkness, the weapons choices, the armor, the co-op play (it would be nice if there was more of this so you could play through the whole game with a friend), the PVP (im trying to master this atm), but mainly the challenge of the game. I am always on the edge of my seat ready to defend myself as you really do care when you die as there are consequences for this. You cant rush through the game you have to think and plan and pray. Falling off things still really gets on my nerves and isn't fun, this has always bugged me since the old days of playing tomb raider, might just be me.

In short, if you want a challenge, you like a game with character investment and a game that takes time and skill to play I would really recommend this. If there is a Dark Souls 3 which improves on a few small issues of this one im in! It would be truly epic but I would be sad to leave my character behind.

Enjoy, and be prepared to die.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing in every apsect, 16 Mar 2014
J. A. Hazell (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game is fantastic. I am not going to write an extremely detailed review as I only have 10 hours in the game so far and want to keep it free of spoilers.

Ignore the bad reviews on here. This game is a fantastic sequel.

Pros:
Graphics - People are idiots saying graphics are bad. For an XBOX 360 these graphics are fantastic. Anyone who complains about this aspect of the game should be slapped, it looks fine as it is and the sheer excellence of this game makes this redundant for enjoyment purposes.

Gameplay - Gameplay is a more polished dark souls 1, which is perfect, as I was a large fan of Dark souls 1 and the controls.

Difficulty - Oh this game is hard. Its VERY HARD. This game is in my opinion a whole league more difficult than its predecessor. The bosses are unforgiving in their attempt to take your life over and over again, and the normal enemies, even from the tutorial, have the ability to stunlock and kill you in a space of 3 seconds if you are careless. People giving bad reviews on this game because it is hard have clearly gotten to the first boss, and rage-quit because they want the game to hold their hand.

Multiplayer - I have not experienced much of this yet, apart from summoning phantoms. I imagine this is because people are still doing their first playthrough and aren't too concerned about invasions yet.

Environment - I have only beaten around 8 areas of the game but in that time have experienced caves, sky cities, jungles, deserts and sewers. This game has a knack for producing original and fresh environments at every turn.

Content - Without spoilers, I will state that there is a huge amount of content in the game. Area wise, there is over 30 areas. I have beaten 7-8 in 10 hours game time....

Cons:
Not for everyone. People have already reviewed this game as a 1 or 2 star JUST because its hard. For people who want an easy and fun experience, buy skyrim instead. This is a hardcore role playing game which requires large amounts of patience, persistence an adaptability. Do your research before you buy the game. Don't cry because its too hard. This game is a souls game, and is made to be HARD.

That is all for now. I may update this review in time when I either beat the game or get comments.

Just trust me when I say, this is a TRUE souls experience and is probably the hardest to date. It is a nice mix between DeS and DkS, and keeps players on the edge of suspense. The awesome multiplayer mechanics are still here and better than ever with the introduction of dedicated servers. (No more lagstabs yay!)

If you enjoyed DeS or DkS in any way, BUY THIS GAME.

I have almost beat this game and have the same opinions. If anyone wants some advice or has concerns/questions, feel free to ask

4.0 out of 5 stars It's time to die again! and again..and.. could go on all day, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I never played Demon Souls and nearly missed Dark Souls 1 thanks to Skyrim overshadowing it greatly, but thankfully I got it and enjoyed many hours of grim and foreboding exploration, death and elation with a 180+ level character, buying the prepare to die edition too. I was always excited for this game and having a new grim world full of menacing creatures and bosses to explore. So I managed to get the money together to order the black armour edition on Wednesday, and got it on Thursday! (from The Game Collection as it was sold out literally everywhere) It has a very nice metal case with soundtrack, VIP Namco Bandai pass and black edition weapons.

The short summary is, it's as hard and as highly enjoyable as Dark Souls 1, so you've nothing to fear if you've pre-ordered. In fact it's very similar which is great, but there is a good number of minor changes which have refined and improved the Dark Souls gameplay, and that's what I'll mostly be addressing.

If you haven't played Dark Souls before, it's very similar to Zelda, you lock onto enemies, block with one trigger, strike with the other, can do evasive rolls and a jump attack. You go through a series of connected areas and into main dungeon like places with bosses and such, It's an old skool RPG at it's heart, but unlike Zelda much darker and harder.

============
VISUALS: 7/10
============
If I be honest, some of the textures aren't wonderful, they've been compared to late PS2 era (though we all know visuals don't make or break a game necessarily, especially Dark Souls) However at the same time some visuals are better than DS1. The lighting is notably better, for instance using a torch in darkened areas, the sunlight in the distance reflecting off the sea and such. The shimmer on some armour and weapons. There is now fabric texture like capes that move and tattered clothing which was absent in DS1 and much wanted (in fact it's part of a starting outfit)
The creatures look brilliant though as ever just as the desolate and grim land before you, what this game lacks in GTAV/Hitman Absolution visuals, it definitely makes up for in it's lighting and art direction. The weapons and armour also varies nicely. Even being undead looks more realistic this time round, more akin to a zombie. Also to point out, the character creation is a hundred times better, it's very in depth and allows you to make a normal and nice looking character with some decent anime-esque hairstyles, or if you wish you can make a creepy looking b******. (In DS1 my character looked like kim jong un but with brown Richard the 2nd hairstyle..) You'll be wearing a helmet most the time but always an important part, as you probably can't change it after. Also and the frame rate is really smooth, remember Blighttown and that ghastly swamp? no more freeze framing here or not that I've encountered any. Even with many things happening on screen and large areas, so this is good. There's no denying though From Software ripped everyone off showing great visuals and not of the real ones that we have now, it's scammy and unfair.

==============
SOUND FX: 10/10
==============
I can't really put the sound or BGM at fault, I'm using some headphones plugged into my guitar amp (don't ask) and everything sounds crisp and authentic. Striking weapons against many different breakable objects or clashing against an enemy, the high pitched clink or metal against metal or rock. The the fearsome monstrosities and even environmental effects like the wind and waves, a tree falling and hitting the dirt hard, all good.
Most notable is the music and the NPC's. With the black armour edition and collectors you'll get a music CD with it. But it you played DS1, expect more harrowing yet wonderful operatic and dark music as you take on large bosses and dangers. Most the time there isn't music, but like in the central hub; Maluja (DS2's own Firelink Shrine) a subtle and delicate piano BGM will play with the sun and sea in the background showing you it's a brief refuge. With NPC's you again have very fitting idiosyncratic British voices, which are often worn, sincere and non pretentious. Being English it reminds me of Fable and I love the voice talent used.

===============
GAMEPLAY 09/10
===============
Here's the long part. If you haven't played DS1 you know it's old skool RPG like Zelda, if you have played DS1 here's the differences:

Bonfires - You no longer level up at these, instead by talking to a women in the central hub called Herald Emerald. But you can from the start use the warp action (once you've visited a bonfire it'll be available)

HUD/UI - It's not a mess anymore, if you want to find a weapon, you don't have to scroll down the menu for 1 minute through a messy list of everything. The item box is here from the start and everything is in a row of neat categories, selecting a category opens a drop down of the times. The other menu's and stats screen aren't too different but overall nicer to navigate, you can also see your character in real time and move around which is handy as you cannot pause once again. Also your D-pad down item now has a lil box next to it showing the next item which is handy.

Kick - You no longer kick, you take a step forward and almost backhand? it makes it harder to break someones guard.

Movement - Movement speed feels faster which I love, back peddling while blocking isn't that fast but jogging around with moderate weight gear and sprinting especially looks like you're really darting forward.

Jump - B can be used to jump or the new clicking Left Stick, changeable in the menu.

Estus Flask - When you get it early, you'll have 1 use..yep! just 1. You must find Estus shards and speak to the Herald Emerald to upgrade it's uses. In the mean time you'll be using Lifegem's which once absorbed slowly refill your health, again making the game more challenging.

Stats - Vitality now governs your equipment load, and vigor governs your overall HP. Also new is Agility which is next to Poise, it governs your evasion and action speed.

Orange Soapstone - You no longer write messages with it, instead it's a drop down category from your menu, it's more convenient I guess, and there's more options to write better messages, or more than one word. So don't spend an hour looking for the soapstone! check your menu.

White Soapstone - It actually works! at a given time you may see many summon signs and people can join you and vice versa. You'll also know very quickly if you can join rather than having to wait for 20 seconds as fog gates appear and a mystical whirling sound plays. This is great as, DS1's summon system was just frustrating.

Invasions - Even if you are hollow/undead other players can invade your world this time round, you're never safe now. Well unless you join the way of the blue.

Lock-on options - You can use auto lock-on to a new enemy once an enemy has died, and once an enemy has been attacked.

Covenants - There's a good few in this game, ranging from similar ones to in DS1 (way of the blue are blue sentinels who help invaded players. Some covenants will likely give unique abilities, equipment, invasion items, but I've yet to discover these all so will update.

Death - You no longer use humanities, you use a similar item, a little wood straw thing called an Effigy. But in this game if you go hollow and then keep dying as a undead, your total HP will be stunted and lowered, also you will look more rotted with additional deaths. An interesting new feature apparently from Demon Souls, making the game just that but more difficult.

Two Handed - Pressing Y uses a right handed weapon with two hands, holding Y uses the left handed weapon with two hands which is great, You can two hand a shield if you want and bash people with it.

Inventory - Now you can equip 3 weapons per hand, and upto 4 rings which with the other new debilitating additions to gameplay makes the difficulty just as fair. And the game more enjoyable, considering you can't pause, no one wants to try swapping their big weapon for a bow in mid battle.

Critical Hit - Remember people would spam this? now it's a little trickier, NPC's for instance will move around as you do so getting behind them takes some effort i.e waiting til they attack and moving quickly. The critical hit didn't seem to land when I parried with a shield. But now it's a awesome combo if done from behind.

Falling - It's not different, you'll fall to your death more than anything else, again, just wanted to say.

Pyromancer - No longer a class, but you can get and upgrade a pyromancy flame with attacks.

Spells - Dark magic, sunlight, and mircacles allpretty much make a return along with staffs.

Falling - Maybe this is just earlier on in the game, maybe not. But falling seems to impact your health more than in DS1, there's even a ring from Echanté? ( a cat) to help reduce it. So if you want to risk jumping to a platform below, be weary.

More destructible environment - Doors can be opened or broken, planks, barrels, rocks, we all like randomly breaking and cutting objects, so a more tangible environment is great.

(I may update this section if I come across more new features, though no more cross my mind)

The PVP is a bit dodgey and unfair though. I attacked someone and whilst several meters away they were still attacking me in the back and killed me, at one point invisible. Many times people will land critical back stabs when you have your shield to them the whole time, you can smash people with a very powerful weapon and they won't even stumble with their default armour and kite shield. Some things are weird and unfair, making it frustrating, will these be fixed, who knows.. Connecting to games is better but also bad, many times you'll lose connection to xbox live for no reason, or when a game fails to load (invasion etc) you have to quit and re load your save in order to enable summons and everything again.

===========
STORY: ?/10
===========
I haven't fully completed this game yet, but to be honest from what I can gather the story is just as vague as in DS1. From Software intentionally want the player to feel lost on this quest and piece together the story for their self via small tid bits of information. The jist is, you're a person with a curse meaning you are stuck as undead unable to die. And Have ended up in Drangleic in search of a cure, and according to the old women narrating, this will eventually pit you against a powerful king.

=============
SUMMARY 08/10
=============
It's a very good and enjoyable game, there's changes that refine the game, and ones that make it more difficult, together along with the new locations, creatures, weapons, armour and story. It's enough to give everyone the fresh DS experience they want, but without too much of a departure from what they love. So have fun dying! Just remember they ripped us off with the downgraded visuals and the connections can be weird. PVP can be cheaty and unfair.

And for your amusement, here's how I've died so far:
- Head eaten by cyclops x 3
- Stomped to death by 'Last of the Giants' boss x 1
- Ganged upon and hacked to death by hollows - x 4?
- Rolled off top of a castle rampart into oblivion x 2
- Rolled off castle rampart onto a dead tree x 1
- Headbutted to death by a tough fire lizard x 2
- Knocked off edge into water by Dragonrider boss x 5
- Smashed to death by stone giant with hammer x 1
- Exited because of discarding rather than leaving Silky the crow my stone x 1
- knocked off giant sword statue into water x 1
(though proud to say so far I've avoided all traps!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Souls II is Dark Souls II shocker, 8 Nov 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Dark Souls II was exactly what I expected. When I received the package, it contained a box reading Dark Souls II. Then, when I opened the box, within lay a copy of Dark Souls II on disk. When I booted the disk, my Xbox loaded the notoriously difficult yet rewarding RPG fantasy epic Dark Souls II. All in all, this vendor and, indeed, the game itself, met my expectations. Well done to both.

3.0 out of 5 stars Before you start assuming i dislike this game due to the rating, 3 Nov 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

For starters every boss in the first game was always a new surprise when ever you passed through a fog gate. In Dark Souls 2 it just seemed like they ran out of ideas for fights and limited them to simply over large humanoids in armour, that swing a sword at you and sometimes release a somewhat unfair burst of magic that can wipe you out in a single hit of you arnt careful. Not that it doesnt have any well crafted bosses though, the Duke's dear Freja is an amazing example of what a Dark Souls boss should be like, scary and unfair (in a good way). That being said nearly every boss in this game can be beaten first try which is dissapointing for anyone who buys this game for what it's suppose to be, HARD.

The Map size is alot larger than the one in the first game but dont expect to find any pathways leading to areas you've already explored, because that features gone. In this game, the second you reach Majula you are given 3 pathways to follow which will send you on different paths ultimatly leading to a primal bonfirte which transports you back to Majula, ready to starts a new path. But that doesnt mean the paths arnt without there benefits, for example finding an item or a lever in one path could open a door way on another path that you couldnt open before.

This game is a hell of a good time but due to how much of the stuff they took away from the first Dark Souls I was a little dissapointed when I finished it. The game took me roughly 30 hours to complete which is okay, but it's a dissapointing play time for someone like me who took 70 hours to reach the final boss of the first game.

You'll die alot in this game... But not near as much as you did in the first game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Less Dark, Harder, Better?, 5 Oct 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've just finished playing Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 and although the game mechanic is similar, there are a lot of differences. Both games are gruelling - and rewarding - slogs through crumbling medieval-esque worlds. Although you have to piece together the story, bit by bit, you play a cursed undead, following the instructions of mystic beings to work out what is going on in the world.

In terms of gameplay, DS2 is as fluid and smooth as DS1 - and perhaps more so, running at 30fps fairly consistently. You'll dodge, block and pirouette around enemies as they try to flank and destroy you in a variety of imaginative ways.

Dark Souls 2 is at once more and less exacting than DS1. There's no 'walk on lava / thin air' and I found a lot of the level progression more intuitive. But there's definitely a feeling of paucity throughout the game; titanite, the freely available material used for upgrading weapons and armour in DS1 is a lot harder to come by. If you're playing a warrior class, your shield won't block 100% of damage in the game ... and shields which do are very hard to come by. Perversely, so is health; in DS1, I finished the game with the full allowance of 20 Estus Flasks, the 'healing' mechanic - in DS2, I had seven. Whilst you can learn spells to heal, and there are lifegems which will also heal you, the latter is finite and slow. You don't kindle bonfires in DS2.

Graphically, DS2 is gorgeous, and much less 'dark' than DS1 - from the gorgeous seaside cliffs of Majula to the semi-submerged towers of Heide's Tower of Flame, to the Dragon Eyrie, where dragons fly over vast towering spires of rock, it's visually incredible. I stopped a couple of times to go 'woah'. There are no 'tomb of the giants' type levels where it's pitch black - although it does get a bit foggy at one stage!

Unlike DS1, none of the bosses felt unassailable (Stray Demon / Sif, I'm looking at you) or took more than a day or so to crack. The mechanics are fairly clear and if you've played through DS1, it's more a question of learning and timing than 'how the hell do I do that?'. They're all pretty satisfying and taking one out first time around is a real buzz.

The items and weapons are satisfying and chunky, although I often had to consult the 'help' menu to remind me what all the icons meant - unlike DS1, it's not written out. This does make menus a bit more concise, but it's a bit harder to work out.

The difficult ramps up quite smoothly, as long as you play the areas in roughly the right order; I had to return to one fairly early on, but that's all in the name of Dark Souls exploration. I didn't find as much of the story coming out as in DS1, but it's there, and certainly draws you in.

Overally, very rewarding, very playable, visually stunning. You should play this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars best game i have ever played (and that's even beating assassins creed games, which i have played), 26 Nov 2014
this game is amazing.
with a good story
lots of areas to explore
great bosses.
if you don't like dying, do not get this game as you will come across the words. you died, over and over again
however i was not good at the game when i first got the game but with practice and patience i got through and havw now completed the game at least 5 times over.
once again this game is a masterpiece and is the best game i have ever played
so even if you are not that keen on rpg games i still recommend it
you will not be disappointed
5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, but will be for a lot of other people!, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I never played the original Dark Souls, but I'd seen a preview of this game a while ago and seeing as there are no RPG's whatsoever on the new generation consoles as of yet I decided to pre-order and waited patiently for the release date to come round. Now, I already knew that this wasn't your typical RPG, so I didn't expect a Dragon Age or an Elder Scrolls type game. After playing the game for around 7 to 8 hours I just found it extremely repetitive and somewhat of a choir to play, most certainly a grind. I can see why the Dark Souls series has a lot of fans as it offers something a little different and I'm sure you can put many, many hours into the game - I should imagine some people who also purchased it on release day will still be playing this game a few years from now. I wouldn't say it was a bad game at all because it's really not. It just wasn't for me, and my wait for another RPG to lose myself in for a while shall go on a while longer yet. After The Witcher 3 got delayed until early next year I just hope that Dragon Age Inquisition lives up to the series potential after a very disappointing 2nd instalment!

As a side-note, I really don't agree with some of the reviews that insist that the graphics are bad. Some of the textures are a little rough, but for such a huge game and on a console that has only 512MB of Ram I think From Software did a heck of a job. Some of the landscapes look amazing, the first time I encountered Manjula with the beautiful sunset was a bit of a "wow" moment.

Update 21/03 - So I soldiered on and continued with my game, I guess because I don't really have anything to play right now other than Halo 3's multiplayer. I've put in around 20 hours now. My feelings towards the game haven't changed too much - I do miss having companions that you get in games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, or the lore you find with The Elder Scrolls Games (that's not to say DS2 doesn't have any - it's just that it's much more limited and you have to try to put the pieces together yourself) but there is something very rewarding about finally beating a boss or an area where you have died more times than Tyrion Lannister has had 'tits and wine' in HBO's Game of Thrones. Therefore, I've given the game an extra star than I did in my original review. It's a very good game, just one that's somewhat of an acquired taste and although I wouldn't go as far to say that it's like Marmite I could understand why some people are turned off by this game as much as those that say it's the best game (or one of!) of this generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend you get Dark souls one and this together as they are great games, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
From Software deliver again with their grim take on RPG's and improved so many things over its predecessors Demon and Dark souls, 9/10 would purchase if you love a challenger and don't mind being killed and losing everything every five mins but you get a real sense of accomplishment when you finally prevail through and area and or kill a boss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic game, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I would recommend this game to anyone. It's hardcore, it's punishing and it's one of the best games of 2014 so far.

Dark Souls II (Xbox 360)
Dark Souls II (Xbox 360) by Namco (Xbox 360)