5.0 out of 5 stars fast, slick, light notebook with exceptional build quality
Published 18 months ago by stav

2.0 out of 5 stars Top laptop, but..
Published 16 months ago by DL

5.0 out of 5 stars fast, slick, light notebook with exceptional build quality, 7 May 2013
This is a great laptop running windows 8. certainly lives up to all my expectations which were extremely high. I was looking for something robust, light, fast, well-made, and that was quiet - that allowed you to get on with work. Very connectable, high specification and with the solid state drive means speed is exceptional; boots up in about 4 seconds and runs all standard software very fast. Windows 8 is somewhat different but broadly, barring visuals, and some minor changes, is easily dealt with if you've used windows 7. It is a bit pricey but on the other hand there is nothing quite like it on the market in terms of smartness and engineering. great stuff Sammy! bring more of it on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Top laptop, but.., 1 July 2013
This review is from: Samsung 900X3E 13.3-inch Laptop (Black) - (Intel Core i7 3517U 1.9GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
Excellent hardware, but.. with annoying Samsung software that appears to reinstall itself if you try to remove. Finally found an internet article that explains how the latest iteration of Samsung's software makes use of the Windows "Task Scheduler" apparently to circumvent user attempts to uninstall it. Make a note of this if you decide to buy, I hope it saves you from wasting an evening trawling discussion groups!

5.0 out of 5 stars Have Samsung finally cracked Ultrabooks?, 17 April 2013
I am not sure how I managed to buy this! I was looking for a Samsung S9 with a 256 SSD, without success. This suddenly appeared on Amazon at a good price of c £1,300, but now seems to be out of stock again! Looks like a new model, made in March 2013. Had thought about an Assus Zen Book but some extraordinary criticisms of relaibility on Amazon reviews put me off. This has a full 1900 x 1080 HD screen, which it excellent and very readable in bright light. Very fast start up with Intel i7 and SSD, and very easy to use with backlit keyboard which is auto light sensitive. 256 SSD seems to be minimum for practical use with much space already needed for programmes etc - and there is also a model with 512 SSD (if you can find it!). NO problems with Wi-fi at all or with the touchscreen (though I usually use a mouse) - looks like Samsung has sorted these out. Amazingly thin and light so this is just about the perfect ultrabook for me. This also now has a regular size SD port, and the micro HDMI is fine with easy to get mirco to regular HDMI 2m cables.

I was quite surprised to get on well with Win 8. Sure it needs more apps, but they work ok, and you can have links to desktop porogrammes too. A bit strange to have both screens but getting used to it, and like the other facilities on Win 8. No doubt it will develop.

NO problems out of the box, but haven't had for very long so there is always the longer term reliability issue. But other than that I would highly recommend as one of the best Ultrabooks you can get at present, and perhaps finally there is a true match on PC for the Apple Macbook Air.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsung blew it! (though it could be the best ultraportable laptop on the Earth), 12 May 2013
I bought it the very day it appeared on Amazon. Was chasing the product after reading the review for at least couple of months prior.

The flimsy charger pin came off very soon leaving me very helpless while preparing for an important official presentation. More so, the laptop does not sit still on flat surface as it's 4 rubber legs are uneven. If you are thinking what's the big deal, well this leaves you pretty much incapacitated during typing.
Thanks to Amazon's fantastic customer service, they have sent me a replacement. The replacement laptop has really broken my heart. The display is very dim and very yellowish. No, changing colour calibration does not help. It's USP of 400 nit bright screen has disappeared!! This one does not sit still either but more stable than before, I have to say. The fan runs and runs and never gets lethargic.
My first laptop is from March 2013 production line and second one is from April 2013. First one has prestigious Samsung SSD while second one has no more than OEM LITEON SSD. (LITEON who uses Toshiba NAND has more reading and writing speed indeed but SSD ageing is better dealt by Samsung beyond doubt) Certainly if you are spending one and half grand for a laptop would you want to change it after 2 years? I wouldn't.

I cannot see that Samsung has taken that extra care for it's customer who is paying an amount, more than monthly wages in some parts of the world.

The exterior of the laptop is stunning and lures you to touch and hold. Keyboard and its light beneath is just a pure joy. Dont call me crazy but I really like to type in a darkroom where I can feel it's extreme beauty. Yes! the typing has to be on lap as on the table it is most unstable. (Samsung indeed made a 'lap'top and not 'desk'top). Windows 8, after going through couple of introducing YouTube videos, is lovable. I loved windows 7 and loving windows 8 even more but obviously it is up to the user as it has got very steep learning curve. Trackpad is quite good (please prevent yourself from updating the software driver which begs you to update via SW update time and again). Display is the best display in its class and slight compromise you make for not having 'retina' pays you a lot on battery life. Last but not the least, the battery life is unparalleled.

I am taking the laptop now to Samsung service station spending my annual leave and time. I will update further. I have to say Samsung has created piece of hardware which is anything but 'flawless'. These hiccups does not make you a class leader Samsung, I am sorry to say.

Update: Samsung has now accepted that it is manufacturing fault (both the tint and stability factor). Returned to Amazon for refund. After 2 months and several hour over phone I dont have any laptop : Dont know when windows pc makers will become matured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 15 July 2013
This is an excellent piece of kit; beautiful to hold and absolutely light weight - just what I wanted. Unfortunately, the machine stopped working 10 days after it was delivered. Amazon were absolutely wonderful in taking it back with full refund. Unfortunately they could not replace the product at that time (which is what I really wanted).

The only point I have to make is that Windows 8 is terrible for those of us who want to use this kind of equipment to work seriously. This is not a criticism of Samsung laptop. I am waiting to get my hands on another one - when it comes out with new version of Windows 8

3.0 out of 5 stars Be VERY careful before buying, 22 April 2013
I love Samsung products in general. This is certainly one of their best in terms of looks and weight.

Just 'upgraded' from a macbook air. Happy to be away from Apple OSX, but Windows 8 (I loved Windows 7) is a usability nightmare. That can be hacked a little however and so not such a big deal.

My warning is what is Samsung doing selling such a high spec notebook with only 4GB ram??? My MacBook had 8GB and I can really feel the difference. Went to upgrade but found this model can not be upgraded (unlike many other series 9 models).

No way i would have bought this notebook had i known.

So be warned, if you plan to upgrade you cant. Graphics very slow without that extra 4GB.

Basically nothing more than an overpriced netbook.

3.0 out of 5 stars too expensive for what it is., 20 May 2013
I sent this product back as soon as I found how nothing special this is. Overpriced. I'd suggest the XPS 13. better with all specs and up to £500 cheaper.