5.0 out of 5 stars Shadows of the Silver Screen
Penelope Tredwell, thirteen year old proprietor and writer for popular Victorian magazine The Penny Dreadful, is back in her second historical-alternate-history-mystery-horror-paranormal tale starting six months after the end of Twelve Minutes to Midnight.

Published 9 months ago by wyrdthing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
A fairly short and undemanding story. There was too much repetition during the middle of the book but the climax was good.
Published 19 months ago by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadows of the Silver Screen, 14 Jan 2014

This time she's pulled into the new and exciting world of the moving picture when the mysterious Mr Gold offers to make a film of one of Montgomery Flinch's tales of terror.

Shadows of the Silver Screen has a similar pace to Twelve Minutes to Midnight, with a slower set-up for the first half of the book before you start finding out what's really going on. The novel has a Sherlock Holmes feel to it, except the supernatural is real in this world.

When Penny left Alfie in London to travel with Monty, I was a little sad because I wanted all the characters to be included. I needn't have worried as we need him in London to track down further clues. I found Penelope not as strong a character as the first novel, but this may have been the effects of ghostly interference. I hope she returns to strength for the third, and I hope there is a third because I am getting quite hooked on Christopher Edge's alternate version of Victorian England.

A highlight of the novel for me were the historical facts the story inspires you to look up. I hadn't heard of Louis Le Prince before and yet I would have called myself reasonably aware of film history (apparently not!) I also loved how the story didn't end where I thought, but still held more thrills. Creepy and gripping, Shadows of the Silver Screen should appeal to anyone with an interest in film, horror, Victorian era, strong female leads and gripping plots.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!!, 4 Nov 2013
I really enjoyed this book. After I read the first one I thought I would be hard to write a good sequel but I think it is fantastic and good for ages 10+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 23 May 2013
This review is from: Shadows of the Silver Screen (Kindle Edition)
I like the characteristaion and it was great for a light but satisfying read. Would recommend to those wanting escapism.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 19 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky and delicious, 13 Mar 2013
Oddstuff1 (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadows of the Silver Screen (Kindle Edition)
This was a wonderful slighty steampunk, slightly gothic story set in Victorian times.

The heroine, Penelope, is the owner and author of the Penny Dreadful - a popular magazine filled with tales of adventure and horror. But in this latest episode one of her stories causes frightening problems when a filmmaker decides to make a film using his latest new fangled camera...

I really enjoyed this and would recommend it for anyone who likes a good story, even though it's aimed at the 9-11/young teens audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of suspense, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Shadows of the Silver Screen (Kindle Edition)
A very mysterious book with never knowing what's going to happen next I read on and on and on loved it

3.0 out of 5 stars It's plot got a little confusing towards the end., 29 July 2014
This review is from: Shadows of the Silver Screen (Kindle Edition)
It was well written but I was disappointed after reading "twelve seconds to midnight"which had a more exciting plot. If I could I would rate this book 7/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars penny is back, 23 Feb 2013
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A cracking story which lived up to the anticipation. I love Penelope and the penny dreadful.

For me the best thing about this series is the feel they give you for Victorian London. Whilst there is a paranormal twist it doesn't overtake the story. For me the real joy of this book was following Penelope on her adventures around Victorian London and playing detective with her. Without giving too much away I found the story brilliantly engaging and it kept me completely hooked.

If you liked Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart series you'll love this one too as it definitely has the same feel although possibly aimed at a slightly younger audience.

Fab stuff and well worth a look.

Shadows of the Silver Screen