5.0 out of 5 stars "At the end of the day" it's a great book
Published 6 months ago by Jonathan Field

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible waste of money
Published on 3 Jan 2010 by Mr. R. J. Maslen

5.0 out of 5 stars "At the end of the day" it's a great book, 23 Dec 2013
Full of great clichés. I was surprised as the book does actually follow all the basic rules of football (albeit with some crazy examples!), so you have all the groundwork done for you. Offside rule, fourth official, league structure, they're all there! It's right up to date as well, pulling in some very recent news stories. It's designed for the "bluffer" of course. I wonder whether the bluffer would appreciate the humour? Anyhow, I did and found myself chuckling as I read through it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves, 7 Nov 2013
Stephen Green (Uttoxeter, Staffs. UK) - See all my reviews
I am grateful to the publishers for the opportunity to revisit this new revitalised series of books. As I have in the past received them as Christmas presents I understand that I need to review this book in the eyes of the gift giver. The reality is that most of us are already bluffers in the game of football. It is a constant male conversation of turning up for work with an explanation of why your team lost 3-0 to United and by the way didn't your team lose 4-0 earlier in the season etc. Thus armed with a plentiful supply of facts from the book the bluffer can turn the conversation to more confident territory.
The book is much cleverer than might be expected. Rather than just a dull fact packed book, the book is humorous and well written and encourages the reader to use a search engine to understand the hidden joke about Gordon Ramsey's "Ranger's career" or to steer the subject from football to opera via goalkeeping opera singers. I thought I might tire of the oft repeated digs about footballer's intellect but the book has a very warm and witty way of conveying facts about various national teams in a way that helps to embed the knowledge around competition time. It also expresses how various national and international club competitions and league structures actually are very confusing to anybody with just casual knowledge of the game .
As this is largely a gift book. may I suggest that for mothers giving it to their sons, they have a sneaky peak at the book from time to time and casually ask a few questions as some boys can be lazy readers until they get absorbed in the book. It is a good book for youngsters as it put some structure and history into their understanding of football. It is also a good book for people who are knowledgeable about football even where it is intended as an ironic gift, since there will be things they didn't know in the book and also gives them an extra language to talk to others about football in a more relaxed way.

4.0 out of 5 stars You Learn Something New Every Day, 4 Nov 2013
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Football (The Bluffer's Guides) (Kindle Edition)
At a recent Norwich City Under-21 game I was sitting next to a dear lady and her two young children. It was their first match and they lasted until half-time. The mum asked me after 35 minutes how long there was to go and that made me realise that not everyone knows that football is a game of two halves, played by teams of 11 and that each half last 45 minutes.

So that's where this amusing little book comes in. It's light-hearted but with a cutting edge. Much of the humour is typical football terrace stuff e.g "Manchester City is the team supported by everyone who lives in Manchester. As opposed to Manchester United, which is a team supported by everyone who lives in Surrey." How true.

Packed with in jokes, it's a large slice of fun, full of cliches and nutty remarks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 16 Aug 2013
I found this to be an excellent read. I picked it up because I just moved to the UK and know next to nothing about football. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but at least now I know what people are talking about! I'll be looking into other Bluffer's Guides - seem a great option for gifts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible waste of money, 3 Jan 2010
Terrible waste of money. I honestly have no idea who would like this book. I was hoping it might be a humorous Christmas gift for a relative who is starting to follow football ever so slightly after many years of ignoring it. Well, it doesn't tell you anything useful about football, and it isn't funny. With the growth of the internet, drivel like this is even more glaringly and annoyingly redundant than it ever was. Anyone thinking this book might be for them, go there instead.