5.0 out of 5 stars A Rival for Peter James
The author has taken the brave step of hanging his story around a horrific historical event recent enough to still resound in the memory of anyone over 35. This was a big gamble but he pulls it off well enough and explains his reasons in an author's note at the end of the story.
Published 24 months ago by Aurora

3.0 out of 5 stars A ship by any other name?
Firstly, I would like to say that I obtained the first book in the Romney and Marsh series, Rope Enough, for free and was so impressed that I bought the other two books in the series. I have enjoyed all three books in their own way and so I hope that none of what follows will put anyone off from enjoying this series.

Joint Enterprise is another gripping story...
Published 19 months ago by Philip Whiteland

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rival for Peter James, 1 May 2013
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Joint Enterprise (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
In the previous books, I have generally found Romney to be a rather reasonable character, but in this book he seems to have undergone quite a transformation. It is hard to find a redeeming feature in him, even when he is displaying compassion and empathy it is obvious that he has an ulterior motive. He seems to have reverted to his playground days at times. I found myself empathising with Marsh as she viewed him with disappointment and frustration. Although it isn't said outright, there seems to be an underlying idea that much of his mood is a consequence of the residual pain and discomfort from the injuries he received in the line of duty. By the end one also is wondering if his personality has also been affected by other health worries.
There is a little more of the personality of Marsh showing through in this book but by no means enough, and I hope that there will be more to come in future outings from these two. The character of DC Grimes is explored more thoroughly than that of Marsh and we begin to get to know him. At first he seems almost like a caricature bungling detective, but as he is developed, he becomes a more well rounded character with hobbies, emotions, more investigatory skills than DI Romney gives him credit for, and a surprising courage and modesty. The author seems to be growing more comfortable and confident with characterisation and we find some gems even in minor characters.
There is a twist at the end of the book which you really don't see coming, although it isn't completely random in that the foundation for it has already been laid earlier in the story, but it will bring you up short.
There are some things which would have been better left out of this story - Marsh's menstrual cycle is totally irrelevant, and no modern woman would ever refer to it as the "curse" and Grimes' gastro intestinal problems were pointless, unnecessary and downright unpleasant
I have said before of this author that he really could use the services of an editor/proof reader to take his books to a higher level. He has the potential to rival Peter James - who sets his Police and Crime novels in Brighton, but to do that he needs to root out small inconsistencies and typos and episodes like those described in the paragraph above. His imagination is vivid, his stories are well worth reading and I would love to see him able to achieve a much wider readership. This trilogy is worth taking the time to read but I do recommend starting at the beginning with Rope Enough Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files)

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there a fourth book?, 18 July 2013
Mrs Ferret (Wirral, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm struggling to explain why but I didn't enjoy this book as much as the last - book 2 is probably my favourite.

At times I felt that the crimes was almost taking second place to Grimes' eating & Romney's grouchy attitude - there was an awful lot of both which I felt was somewhat overdone. This was a shame as the storyline was, as ever, very good but finding the murderer seemed almost too easy & I kept waiting for a twist in the plot that never happened. Did no one think to look at the film before handing it back to Crawford? Who knows what might have been on it? I would have thought that Grimes was desperate to see himself on celluloid!

I'm not sure about the "Wilkie" storyline - would somebody actually take the actions he did with a wife & young child to think about? Seems unlikely to me.

However it's still a great read & the ending is inspired leaving so many potential doors open. I do hope I've not given anything of the plot away as I wouldn't want to spoil it for others & as ever, I'd recommend it.

Will there be a book 4 & what do I read while I'm waiting?

3.0 out of 5 stars A ship by any other name?, 16 Sept. 2013

Joint Enterprise is another gripping story and the characters are well drawn, as always. The scene with Marsh being assaulted (I'm going to really try to avoid spoilers in this review) is quite harrowing but very well told. Likewise, the final scene is excellently illustrated. However, there are some problems with this book in my opinion. Firstly, it has a tendency to devolve into farce at times, which I think detracts from the quality of the story. Secondly, and this is the major problem in my opinion, I think the choice of the name of the ship (which I accept is central to the story)is ill-advised. My first reaction was that it was a factual error. After a while, I realised that it was an attempt to separate fact from fiction, but I just don't think it works. I think it would have been better to have either made it completely fictional or stick with the real name of the ship but don't involve the fictional characters to any degree.

Of the three books, I think my overall preference is for the first, Rope Enough, but I have been entertained and engrossed by all three. I can't help seeing Bradley Walsh as Romney and the bloke who plays Mrs. Tichell's husband in Doc. Martin as Wilkie, but that's just me! I wish Mr. Tidy every success in the future and I would really like to see more Romney and Marsh stories in the future. I feel sure, with some professional editing, that these books could have a very successful future indeed. If you haven't tried them yet, you really should.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 21 April 2014
This is the third in the Romney and Marsh series by Oliver Tidy and continues to entertain.
Generally I enjoyed this and felt I was beginning to understand the various lead characters and thought the story as well paced until almost at the end when everything seemed to be revealed in a bit of a rush.
I was also unconvinced by the actions of the Willis character at the end, I thought his reactions were a bit unlikely

5.0 out of 5 stars physio, 16 Sept. 2013
Having written a review concerning the first in the series, I have spent my holiday busily reading the other two. I was not disappointed and I loved the third book the best. Romney reminds me of a previous old goat of a colonel I once knew. Every mood and nuance shouted at me and made me laugh. Marsh reminds me of myself working with him !!
I am not concerned about literary criticism and recommendations to an author since I couldnt even begin to write a novel, never mind develop a theme and characters and all that jazz
Ignore the critics Mr Author..but dont kill off Romney please. Write another ten or so

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a shame!, 2 Sept. 2013
After such a great start with the first two books I was so disappointed with this one. I even began to wonder if Mr Tidy had asked someone else to write it for him. If this had been the first book I had read it would have been my last. The first two books had both been so good they made you want to stop everything so you could carry on reading. I would look forward to getting back to the story but unfortunately the same could not be said for Joint Enterprise. I have read some of other reader's comments in their critical reviews and was pleased that someone shared my view. I was also somewhat reassured by the author's comment on those reviews. Maybe I would give a fourth book a chance.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as the others, 28 Jun. 2013
In previous books in the series, Romney was irritable, but essentially kindly and clever and his human spirit emerged during the investigation. In this book Romney seems to have become entirely unlikeable and in my opinion, the book is the worse for it. Romney and Marsh are supposed to be the heroes of the book but if Romney behaves like an absolute git for 90% of the book then frankly I didn't care whether he solved the crimes or whether he got in trouble with his boss. Bring back a bit of the nice guy please!

Also I think the plot line became unbelievable which reduced the enjoyment factor for me. English Heritage giving permission for filming a film about bestiality on their property? Strikes me as pretty unlikely to me.

But on the whole it was an interesting book, I kept with it and I read it til the end, so please keep at it, Mr Tidy, but please can we see more of Romney from the first book and less of this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!!!, 6 Jun. 2013
Once, every now and again, along comes a character (or characters) that you instantly feel comfortable with. That's how it has been for me with these delightful detectives, Romney & Marsh.

It was actually with some regret that I finished this, the third novel. You see, previously I've known that I had at least one more to fall back on, but this is unfortunately the last in the series at present.

Once again Oliver Tidy has brought together a fairly simple plot line (no, it's not overly complex), and added in some fairly decent Police procedural (no, it's not overly technical), and woven these together with humour, and a straight forward writing style (yes, it's extremely easy reading).

The result? Yet another thoroughly enjoyable book by this author. But one which leaves you hanging (not literally) on the precipice wanting to know what's become of our main character.

Book number four please Mr Tidy...and don't spare the horses!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 3 Jun. 2013
R. C. Young - See all my reviews
Love this series, and cant wait to read more. Inspector Romney and Sergeant Marsh make a god team; she's earnest, hard-working and sarcastic, he's arrogant, subversive and despite his own opinions, a bad driver. V good plot, looking forward to the developing characters. NB Good author blog too

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid effort, 1 Dec. 2014
This is another well-written novel by Tidy, the third I have read. The plot is sound and Tidy has developed his characters further. This is not a complex read, but the story moves well and keeps the reader engaged.

There were a couple of typos, but the editing is a vast improvement on the first book in the series I read.

I am a bit surprised that the author remains self-published and I am not sure whether this is through author-choice or whether publishers haven’t reacted positively enough to his work. Given some of the ordinary stuff published in the genre, I would have thought there is more than enough in Tidy’s work for publishers to be getting him on board. I'm certainly happy to stay on the train and will go for a fourth.