4.0 out of 5 stars "Don't seek others' pain as the limbs of your own happiness"
This book provides a gentle introduction into some of the basic practices within the Buddhist school of thought.

Some of the practices that were presented included Meditation, Slogans of Atisha, Tonglen and the Four Limitless Qualities (Loving-Kindness, Compassion, Joy and Equanimity).

The practices aim to present an alternative ways of dealing with...
Published on 26 May 2007 by R. S. Rabab

1.0 out of 5 stars Conned
Why I got this ridiculous book book I do not know. I did not order it. There are too may Buddhists on the publishing bandwagon. Good luck to them. But please can I get my money back for a book that just appeared on my Kindle that I did not want!!!
Published 1 day ago by Nicholas Daubeny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars "Don't seek others' pain as the limbs of your own happiness", 26 May 2007
R. S. Rabab "Sindibad" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews

The practices aim to present an alternative ways of dealing with common emotions and feeling that we encounter in our daily life. The practices are presented as a way of helping us break away from the self destructive patterns of behaviours and attitudes that we have accumulated and were forced to pick up along the way in our lives. The key ideas in the book revolve around the opening of both the mind and heart to all the emotions that we experience and the situations we find ourselves in.

This was my first book on this subject, and as such I found it a little of a challenge to follow some of the concepts that were presented in the book, and my only minor criticism is the lack of sufficient examples that could have been used to illustrate some of the points that were being made.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a truly wonderful book, 25 Sep 2010
I had read a few books by connected authors on this theme, which is very dear to my heart as I have found these practices and teachings so very very useful and liberating. So I bought this book as a present for my partner as it is small, and seemed to cover a whole range of themes very nicely.
Now, more and more, I find myself dipping into it myself, again and again. Pema Chodron seems to have distilled all the most essential Teachings of Buddhism into this little book, in a way that is so very approachable, practical and useable.
This is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful book. I can't recommend it enough. What an amazing, beautiful, free and loving society we might have in the future if lots of people really bring these Teachings into their lives. Please read it, then give a copy to a friend...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book - the places that scare you, 14 Jan 2011
Anyone who has reached a place in their life where they have come to a crossroads would benefit from the insights in this excellent inspiration by Pema Chodron. She leads you on a spiritual journey, mainly addressing the ability to step back from your fears and guide your mind into a healthier state of wellbeing. All her teachings in this book is not something you could do overnight. Some exercises she suggests can be worked on immediately, others take time, and some others could take a lifetime of mental discipline/mindfulness. Of course, it's all very personal and individual. This book inspires the reader to dig deeper into her other works and books. Very positively, I could see it reaches places that many other books have only scratched the surface. Well worth the money and a good read. Well done Pema Chodron. Highly recommended. Hope this review helps other readers who may be wondering whether this book is for them. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight-and-honest Buddhist advice on how it is., 10 Sep 2013
This book made me feel raw and uncomfortable at times - being like a mirror, reflecting back elements of my 'self' that aren't noble or particularly nice. But, she counters that with honest, direct and compassionate advice to a) ease up on yourself, b) it doesn't really matter, and c) attactching to negative self-references is not the point. Not particularly academic, but then that's just what you need for realistic, day-to-day guidance that can be put to use in your daily doings. Simple, potent and useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Face Fear, 1 Nov 2003
This book is very helpful when you have to deal with fear. It shows a way how to accept your fears, how not to harden against the challanges in your life and not to get overwhelmed by them. It is cowardice what makes you build up an armour, but courage allows you to stay vulnerable. Pema Chodron does not only advocate this philosophy but offers practical tools how to put it into practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm writing, 8 Jun 2013
Pema's writing is warm, inviting and helpful. This book really helped me just relax and drop the storey line and if you take nothing else dropping the storey line in your head will help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 10 Sep 2007
Pema writes with such insight and compassion that you can feel the warmth from her seeping through every page. Inspiring reading and this book certainly made me look at myself in a completely new light. This is a book that once you have read, you can keep dipping into when things get tough.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical philosophy, 17 Jun 2010
Amy J. L. Soska "amy" (london) - See all my reviews
the beauty, clarity and simplicity of her writing make this an effortless read. a refreshing change from lexically weighty promises of limitless bliss. this book is accessible, practical and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 10 July 2013
Watched Perma on you tube liked what she had to say, bought the book and loved her wisdom more, simple and to the point

5.0 out of 5 stars poetic and helpful, 24 Feb 2009
I like the way pema chodron writes, it is poetic enough to carry you without being flowery at all. I came to this via a search for a non-drug way to deal with depression, anxiety and general existential angst and I find it very helpful in helping to change perspective. Heavy on the buddhism, which suits me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›