4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera
I've been really pleased with this camera though I did have a problem with the mount for it (more about that later).
I wanted a safety camera after being knocked off my bike last year and it ended up a real battle to prove the inconsiderate car driver at fault. It came good in the end but would have been easier to prove if I'd had a helmet cam.
I considered a...
Published 13 months ago by BikerAndy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better
The camera is a nice size and easy to use. If you are fitting it permanently to the bike, the hard wiring cable coming out of the back of the camera makes it significantly longer than the advertised length, but still easy enough to hide away within a fairing.

Published 11 months ago by Dr. T. F. Capell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 3 Oct 2013
Dr. T. F. Capell "T" (enlgand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)

Bad points: The lens angle could be a bit smaller, 5 degrees or so. It's very hard to get the lens forward enough to prevent your helmet or bodywork getting in the frame.
The lights indicating function are on the front, next to the lens. If you use it at night you get annoying blue, green and red flashes in you videos.
The lens is soft. I had to polish out a mark from a dead fly after only a couple of weeks. I've now fitted it behind a perspex screen to protect it.
The hard wiring power supply is just a drop down resistor. Mine has failed already (2 months use).
Customer service from Roadhawk is USELESS. They will refuse to deal directly with any faults, claiming it's about "paperwork".

Overall the price and bad points have put me off buying another for my other bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
I considered a drift ghost 720p, a contour roam 2 and the roadhawk. The drift was complicated to use. The contour didn't loop record. The Roadhawk is simple to use and loop records in five min segments. It's resolution is more than usable though is limited at night. All in all I'm really impressed with the camera.
The only problem I encountered was with the sticky curved helmet mount. If failed after 4 days and fell off. Luckily it was while my helmet was stored so I didn't loose the camera. It was actually the pre-installed sticky pad that failed. The side I'd stuck on my helmet was firmly in place. Customer services with roadhawk were crap. They never even offered a replacement mount. I had to buy one for a fiver. When I pointed out the failure I got a very bland e mail back stating that they'd never heard if one failing and to let them know if it happened again.
So all in all a good camera with plenty of accessories but poor customer support if you have a problem. Their answer was "send it back to amazon" even though it was their product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Helmet Cam, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
I commute by motorcycle every working day, and after two minor accidents in two months decided I needed a camera for evidence in case of further mishaps.
A colleague suggested I look at the RoadHawk.
The options for mounting it cover all eventualities and the supplied cables allow you to charge by cigar socket/ USB/ Phone charger etc., download images to computer and hard-wire to your vehicle. The camera and accessories are well constructed.Image quality is pretty good too,
For now I've mounted it on the very top of my motorcycle helmet and the internal battery lasts for my journey into and home from work (about 1hr 15 mins.) although the red L.E.D. is lit when I get home so it's probably just about on it's limit.
I would think it would be good for action sports too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the performance of the helmet cam and would recommend it., 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
Review based on a few weeks use of the RoadHawk Ride Helmet Cam.
Contacted the Company over device operation and found them extremely helpful
Attachment of adhesive mount is time consuming but worthwhile; please remember that this camera has a 135 degree lens and it’s awkward to position the camera so that the peek of the helmet isn’t in the video.
Robustness to date appears good and has coped with rider being thrown from horse.
Rear cover comes in two forms, with holes for dry days allowing audio to be recorded and without holes for rainy days hence little or no audio.
To date I’m very pleased with the performance of the helmet cam and would recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
ok, Lets start, I don't hate teh camera. In fact, to be fair, it is a very good camera. the picture is clear and sharp. Operation is easy - one button to start / stop, thats it. Sound, well if you use the waterproff end cap (as you most certainly will) there is no sound at all. if you use the normal end cap, sound is ok, but its then not waterproof and a quick shower will kill your camera - so best to stick to waterproof cap and have no sound.
the supplied 8GB card is fine and will hold a good few hours of full HD footage. Downloading and playing the 5minute segment files is painless, although you may have trouble finding a suitable player. I use VLC which plays the clips perfectly.
The cables and fittings supplier are all great, giving you the choice to mount the camera pretty much anywhere on your bike or helmet. If you choose, you can hard wire the camera to the bikes battery / power supply and it can auto switch on / off with the ignition key, so you never have to worry about forgetting to switch it on etc.
So, all sounds great so far - so why only one star you ask......
BATTERY LIFE
it SUCKS
It is advertised as giving 90 minutes recording time. In practice, you will only get this in very warm weather or indoors. If you use it on a daily work communte as i did, leaving at around 08:00 on a winetrs morning with outside temps in single digits you will be lucky to get 40 - 45 mins of recording time. Which is pretty useless if, like me, you have a journey time of around an hour. The battery will fail and you will be left with no fottage of any potential 'incident' - which after all is what we all pretty much want it for - evedence in the event a crash etc.
I sent the camera back to the manufacture. A very helpfull chap called Martyn dealt with me, but in the end after they had sent me three (yes, THREE) new camera's - each one had exactly the same issue I decided enough was enough and I sent it back to Amazon for a full refund as its not fit for purpose. Amazon, as usual, gave first class customer service.

So, to sum up, if you want to hard wire it to power supply, or you only need it for up to 45 mins at a time, then its a great camera. If you want to run it for anything more than 45 mins at a time on battery then forget it, look elsewhere, it just win't work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor support by Amazon, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
It took one week to deliver this item. The worst part is that this product is very unreliable. It seems to record by itself without any input. Apart from its unreliability I had another major problem with its charging , it never charged, I've tried my laptop 's usb port and external usb adapter both of these failed. As per the instruction a red led is suppose to blink while charging no such event occurred apart from the device getting very hot.
In terms of service, do not expect any thing even though this item is fulfilled by Amazon and has two year warranty. Only service one can expect is a refund, there is no service support or replacement provided by the seller (Amazon and Mobile Gadget). And no way one could contact the seller regarding this. I can't really see any advantage in buying this item considering the service provided by Amazon. Video quality is not good under low light condition, this raises the question whether this camera is suited for evening rides . I can not comment on 10m water resistance property, hopefully it should be good enough for torrential rain.

Update:
I have managed to contact Roadhawk customer service , they seem to be very helpful. I had explained the situation regarding lack of service provided by the seller and Amazon , I was told they would usually replace the faulty item only through the seller. Since the seller is not helpful they offered to help me in getting a replacement.

Actually I didn't need any replacement as the problem (described above) could be fixed by resetting and formatting the device. Thanks to Roadhawk customer service. My advise is to buy this item from Roadhawk's website as it would be far less hassle in getting proper service if any thing happens over a period of two year.

Lastly, the user manual that comes with the product is misleading, for example it says red LED will blink while charging this is not true, instead it will stay lit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best on bike camera, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
At Feb 2013 I searched for an on bike/helmet camera and concluded that this was the best value for money and most suited for my requirements. See my full review [...] I give it 4 stars as I'd have liked the GPS feature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flaky, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
Pros: I bought one of these mostly to provide evidence in case of accident and for those purposes I can confirm the image quality to fine and the camera is easy enough to use. It's easy to wire up if you need longer than the hour or so you get out of the battery and provided you follow the instructions correctly then easy enough to mount to a helmet.

Cons: First issue is a small one, the recording light is not clear enough so you're not sure if the device is still running. That might be nothing more than a niggle but the other issues are what seriously marks this camera down.

Durability is the main issue. The unit itself seems robust enough to take the odd fall but the lens is a cheap and flexible plastic that doesn't seem like it would take much to scratch or split. Indeed the way the lens is mounted into the unit creates a lip which means that when riding through rain or mist the water can't clear and so the camera is useless unless you want to film water moving over the lens.

The cable that hardwires the camera to your motorcycles battery is durable enough but the connections are useless. If you attach the camera to your helmet then unless you want to leave your lid on the bike with the camera attached then the connections are going to take some use. However they simply aren't up to the job. Using thin and easily breakable wire prongs the option to hardwire the camera for prolonged use is seriously flawed. If like me you regularly kick in 2 hour plus commutes then the battery isn't enough so you need the option to power from your bike battery and this design means that unless you're incredibly careful you'll be regularly buying replacement cables simply because the connections fail.

The nail in the coffin for this device is the fact that it simply doesn't last very long. I've had three of these (all supplied without question by the amazon seller) but they all failed to record after a couple of months. Roadhawk customer services themselves are useless and were ZERO help. They didn't seem to be bothered about my issue and effectively blamed ME for the error each time. They first suggested that I format the SD card after each ride. Ok I thought at first, not the best option but I did it anyway. A week later the dreaded triple lights started flashing again indicating that the recording had failed and there was an SD card error so this time I sent it back and received a replacement. Another three or four weeks I had the same issue with the replacement unit so back this one went. Unit three arrived and this time when it failed the same way I wanted answers from Roadhawk. Again they blamed ME for the fault saying that my motorcycle must "vibrate too much" and shakes the card out of position. Two issues with that is that when testing the second unit it failed when it was sitting on the kitchen worktop just recording the cats outside, second I was mounting it to my helmet not the frickin' engine! Roadhawk were firm, it wasn't their issue and I had to take it up again with the supplier.

Since then I've stopped using it because it's far too frustrating and having THREE UNITS fail all within similar time scales means I have absolutely no faith in Roadhawk or their devices. AVOID!

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorbike cams, 23 April 2014
Andrew Self "Andy" (brighton uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
Arrived on time , as I've already got one on my bike much as expected good value for money and good to prove accident details for insurance

5.0 out of 5 stars Camera, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Roadhawk Ride (Electronics)
Excellent piece of kit , recommended if you want to stay safe and keep a record of any incidents that might occur !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›