5.0 out of 5 stars Give this album a chance.
I was a little underwhelmed when I first listened to this album but after quite a few (approx. 15) listens this is really coming into its own. Memeo and Freedom Found are my favourite two, absolutely outstanding songs.

I think people need to stop comparing the two albums as that is clouding their judgement I think.
Published 17 months ago by Tony

1.0 out of 5 stars Boys, what happened?
You made one of my favourite albums of the last few years. Great fun, depth, Orbital-gloopy-beats, forward-looking, New Order moments, etc.. Then, this... Delphic's second is probably the most disappointing follow-up I've ever heard (and, unfortunately purchased). Collections doesn't have one single redeeming moment. A crying, terrible, gut-wrenching shame.
Published 18 months ago by PJBuzz

5.0 out of 5 stars Not epic, but epically undervalued, 4 May 2013
Fantasy Lore - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Could not disagree more with the majority of other reviewers on this page and disappointed that so many people will be swayed by the negativity and dismiss Delphic's second album without even judging it for themselves.

`Collections' (admittedly a bad title) is not their best work, sadly it does not compare to `Acolyte', but it's a brilliant effort and there's a massive amount of satisfying content here that more than compensates for the odd experimental track that doesn't quite work (but which are, contrary to the views of some, by no means an embarrassment).

But the beauty of having the option to preview the songs here means those who are unsure don't have to take my or any other reviewer's word for the quality or otherwise of the album. Give `Of the Young', `Baiya', or `The Sun Also Rises' a listen- even these short samples sound so good, because they are. `Freedom Found' and `Atlas' and it this very moment for me `Don't Let the Dreamers Take You Away' sound pretty cool too.

Maybe this album simply requires more effort (and I don't mean that as a criticism of those who marked this album down) because while there's quite a bit of unusual mashed-up material here that is in contrast to the elegant detachment and perfectly engineered euphoria of `Acolyte', this is not a bad record and I'm really enjoying the discovery process.

Even if you read one of the prominent customer reviews on this page that very succinctly and quite accurately describes each track, the guy clearly liked at least fifty percent of the material, maybe seventy five percent depending on how you judge the comments and yet the overall score was forty percent. Maybe, just maybe this was due to initial disappointment with a follow-up release that is in sharp contrast to the debut work.

The BBC reviewer was unfortunately of a similar opinion as many of the other reviewers here, but the prominence of that addition on the product page and the pedigree of its origin is sure to put off would-be buyers, unfairly in my view and this represents yet another obstacle for those people like myself who are able to find a great deal of value in `Collections'. In truth it's a four star album, but I have to award full marks in the hope of striking a better balance in the mean score.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more kick, 22 April 2013
Monster Zero (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Delphic are one of those often frustrating bands with an excellent, bold live sound but whose albums often don't match that same level of volume or intensity. Lacking a live drummer, the electronic beats don't support the intricate keyboards or driving rhythms that the songs are asking of them, and despite some good, experimental diversions throughout this as the band push their style envelope out, they remain a group best experienced on stage rather than on disc.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good listen, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Bought this as I was going to see them in concert and wanted to be familiar with the latest tunes. Not as instantly catchy as Acolyte but the tracks grow on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but worth repeated listening, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Like most people who bought this album, I have listened to Acolyte so many times over the last few years, was lucky enough to see them live in Bristol last year and was seriously looking forward to this being released.

Pre-ordered and turned up the day after release, the couple of reviews I had read worried me and after the first listen I could hear why. It is so different to almost be a different band, which to be fair is what they have said they were trying to do, that my expectations meant I was disappointed at first.

But Acolyte blew me away, so this album needed to be listened to over an extended period to try and work out whether it was any good. After two months of on and off listening I think it is pretty damn good actually, several of the tracks are excellent, opener Of the young followed by Baiya are cracking and the Sun also rises could turn out to be a classic, I certainly turn it up loud when it comes on.

In conclusion it isn't Acolyte, an album I continue to push on friends at every opportunity, but on its own merit is worth listening to and letting the tracks get under your skin. Last point I think there could be a cracking remix album hiding in their as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
This album is great! Grows on you with each play! I love Delphic! Recommend them live too :-) This item arrived really quickly and the sellers did a great job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but Brilliant, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Have had to make a conscious effort to stop listening to this all the time as I don't want to over listen.

Is different to the first album but has a great mix of styles which work really well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as Acolyte, 1 Feb 2013
Jordo (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
It was always going to be difficult to write an album that came close to the sheer brilliance of Acolyte, but Delphic fall way short here. This album sounds like a poor girl band trying to make it in electronica. Lots of soft pop tunes like Everything Everything and all the energy and drums have been removed from their armoury. Thought one tune out of the 10 would sound good live, the other nine were not worth mentioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Review, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Collections (MP3 Download)
As a Delphic fan this album is peace of fresh air even though it's not like their debut album Acolyte with the electronic awesomeness but it still Delphic and they trying something new and fresh which is interesting not many bands do that nowa days. It's still has the old Delphic in some songs with the elements but I can't compare Collections with Acoylte it's too different with the genre and the flavor of the songs, If you are Delphic fan like me then I would listen to it :D. If you only like Delphic with Electronic elements then maybe you like few songs but for 5 its worth it either way :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Stepping up to the higher levels of excellence, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Delphic is, in my opinion, the young pioneers of modern British music of my generation (saying that, I am in my mid-20s!) and I feel absolutely honoured to grow up listening to music like this.

Collections is not Acolyte 2.0 - so some of us will bound to be disappointed and even angered. If you are looking for a recreation of Acolyte, the best idea might be to listen to Acolyte backwards. That might be something for you to enjoy. Collections is a true cross-genre LP, with the band drawing influences from across the world based on the dance/indie rock mixture that we all much loved about Delphic. It provokes a lot of deep thoughts in a melodic sense. You might not like it upon first listen (yes, it's a grower, pardon the pun), but after a few rotations, you will start to realise the Delphs did produce something special here. It challenges our perception about the current state of modern music. It brings people out of their comfort zone. Unfortunately, in doing so, it might make some people lose interest on this album, hoping for the great recreation of Acolyte and wondering what went wrong.

However, you might not realise that, by losing something good, you have gained something better - and that, my friend, is what we call a change (Such fun!). The trio have mastered this change well. But, like myself, for those of you who listened to Acolyte back in 2010, we could possibly remember Delphic as 'the breath of fresh air', 'the big hype', 'the new New Order' and 'on kissing terms with magnificence' (that still makes me laugh) - so in a fact, Delphic might have grown up, but they didn't change at all. They are still James, Rick and Matt.

Delphic didn't change, we are changing with Delphic.
This is what Delphic is. And I (insert appropriate adjective here) LOVE IT.

So, shuffle that bad boy. :)
Keep on, keep on. Let's do something real.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great album, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Collections (Audio CD)
Amazing. New and refreshing. Trailblazing as ever. This is one of the best albums of the year so far. Buy it now

Collections