5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published 8 months ago by James G

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL AFTER SALES SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the lego is fine BUT a piece is missing

so far it is 9 days since o ordered the part and nothing form Lego yet

dont try ringing the 2 numbers they list in the instruction booklets or on their web site as both are CONTINUOUSLY ENGAGED

great fater sales service- NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Published 3 months ago by Stephen Wilcox

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
I bought this and was expecting a fair wait due to having to wait an extra 2 days for dispatch. However, the package arrived in 3 days as apposed to the 5-7 days plus an extra 2 days for dispatch. When it arrived, it did come in a large box full of parts. The model itself took me 10 and a half hours to build, and I'm no amateur. Upon completion, the model looked fantastic: with great details and fabulous functions. It's a very, very robust structure - kids will love it. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, highlighting which bags are necessary for what part. There are 3 sets of bags, 1 set for the main vehicle, a second for the rotating crane and a third for the main boom. The B-Model is easy to build and has a great number of functions, and is very fun.

On the contrary, sone instructions are very complex. For example, during the second partof assembly on the rotating carrier, the endless shafts and cogs can be very difficult to get your head around, especially for kids. At one point, I counted 8 or 9 shafts sticking out of the side thinking "what the hell is this for?" Additionally, the model is very heavy. Though robust, the outriggers are unable to lift the vehicle off the ground, though this can be achieved by lifting the model slightly off of the wheels. Then the riggers are perfectly stable. Furthermore, upon completion, there are parts of the model that do not look finished: the rotating boom has a large block that is unfilled, leaving an unsightly hole. This part is also manually rotated, which, again, is a shame, though it can be achieved through a very complex alteration in the chassis and an additional motor. The B-Model is great, however, it leaves 2 to 300 pieces un used, which could be put in places for added detail.

Overall, if you're into Lego and Technic, buy it. Personally, I'd say to buy the Technic Mercedes Unimog, which was last year's flagship model, first. It's a bit more expensive, but includes many more functions and a hell of a lot more detail - it even includes Pneumatics! As you may have guessed though, it is very, very conplex to build! Both models are definitely worth the money, very good fun too!

Please excuse any errors, this was typed on my Samsung Galaxy Note II!

5.0 out of 5 stars There are 2 parts to this Review, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
First Part: Originally purchased from a Seller Blades of Steel through Amazon, found out they were fraudsters be aware:

Second Part: Amazon sorted the above issue refunding me, I ordered the item from them which was cheaper and I loved every second of building this model, the engineering design and build is brilliant. It brought back memories from my child hood and I had an amazing weekend building it. Takes about 10 - 14 hours, and I'm experinced at building technic...I can't fault anything about the model, the other thing its BIG!! I had to extend my dinning room table to build it, lost count of the bags of bits you get. Bit of advice in building, buy a toolbox with plastic dividers and place the more used parts i.e. (connectors) into the compartments leave the chunky bits in the toolbox / Table that way you don't fumble around bags trying to find the parts you need.

Lastly I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to amazon, there customer service on the previous purchase of this set was great!!! No 1..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Feb 2014
R Bligh "TP fan" (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
I loved building this, I can't fault it, I'm just disappointed that I've finished it, I don't normally make the B model but I think in a month or two I might have the heart to take this one apart and try.

Other reviewers have quoted 10 hours building time but I don't like to rush things and it took me much longer, I am an experienced builder and don't go for speed but the enjoyment of the design and build. The expense seems worth it - I can't wait to show my nephews but I'm not sure I'll let them play with it even though its robust enough - its mine (lady in her late 40s)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego at its best, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
Wonderful detail in this model ... a good 10 hours building time 6 booklets with step by step building instructions to assist .. a Must for any Lego fan or for anyone who has 10 hours to spare :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Technic set avaliable, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
This is huge. Huge. I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed when opening the box. There is no wasted space at all, it is expensive but you immediately get the feeling you have got your moneys worth.

This set comes with one large booklet rather than lots of seperate booklets now, there are so many pages it feels like a school textbook. There are around 300 steps to complete the model and throughout the model you encounter all the different devices common to Technic - steering, differential, motor, gearbox, worm gears, old school studded beams and more - the only thing really missing is pneumatics.

When the model is finished some flaws become evident. There are quite a few used of the clutched gear, presumably to protect the model from damaging itself and to stop children possibly strangling themselves with the string, but it does mean that the lifting capabilities of this model are limited. Also the string needs to be slowly extended while the arm us being extended and retracted, this can get irritating. Also the connection between the cab and truck is not particularly strong, again limiting the actual lifting capabilities of the model.

Overall however, this is the best Technic model I have ever put together, I genuinely can't see anyone becoming disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego 42009 Mobile Crane, 30 Jan 2014
Mr. R. Kilpin "gadget geek" (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
This is a massive kit, one of the largest Technic sets to date I believe.

I spent aprox. 8 hours over two nights building the model, and there are over 200 pages to the building booklet! Just shows how complex this model is.

This is certainly one for the older, more experienced builder or for younger people with supervision.

I found it really interesting building the kit and seeing how one motor unit in the moveable crane body controls so many different functions, such as raising and lowering the arm, extending the arm, and extending and lowering the support legs. The manual functions such as moving pistons in the engine when the wheels turn and the way the front and rear two axels turn is cleaver and realistic.

I have made a few modifications - for example making the vehicle LHD, and using some extra Power functions parts (lights, and switch) to give my model working lights. I am also considering installing a second motor box and IR receiver so I can drive my model.

I was impressed with the quick delivery from Amazon, and even with the tracking showing that my package went for a holiday in Brussels, it still turned up well within time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego 42009, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
This toy was bought for my boyfriend who is 32, he never gets bored of making Lego technic, which is good as it kept him quiet all Christmas Day. Over all this toy is brilliant because of the engineering with in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Technic Set, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
Bought this set to put away for Christmas - Amazon had the on offer for 130 a 19 saving on today's price of 149 (27/08/13).
The set comes in a large box and is the biggest set Lego has produced so far.
Quit a weighty and substantial gift and a great present for any Technic lovers over the cold winters months.
Well done Amazon - delivered on time and arrived in great condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looks, interesting mechanisms, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
If there would be a more sofisticated suspension and power transmission to the wheels, I would rate it with 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome., 19 April 2014
J. Elkin "CM" - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
I am 38 I bought this set for myself - because I am a big kid... actually I bought it to play with my two daughters who are five and eight - knowing that they can't build anything like this by themselves, it provides a great bonding opportunity. And also serves as a great distraction from pink fairies and the other girly tat that is out there. We need more technical women, so folks start by playing technical games with your girl kids... both my daughters are loving building this thing and beg me to return to it to add a little more to it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›