5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published 11 months ago by James G

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL AFTER SALES SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the lego is fine BUT a piece is missing

so far it is 9 days since o ordered the part and nothing form Lego yet

dont try ringing the 2 numbers they list in the instruction booklets or on their web site as both are CONTINUOUSLY ENGAGED

great fater sales service- NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Published 6 months ago by Stephen Wilcox

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
I bought this and was expecting a fair wait due to having to wait an extra 2 days for dispatch. However, the package arrived in 3 days as apposed to the 5-7 days plus an extra 2 days for dispatch. When it arrived, it did come in a large box full of parts. The model itself took me 10 and a half hours to build, and I'm no amateur. Upon completion, the model looked fantastic: with great details and fabulous functions. It's a very, very robust structure - kids will love it. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, highlighting which bags are necessary for what part. There are 3 sets of bags, 1 set for the main vehicle, a second for the rotating crane and a third for the main boom. The B-Model is easy to build and has a great number of functions, and is very fun.

On the contrary, sone instructions are very complex. For example, during the second partof assembly on the rotating carrier, the endless shafts and cogs can be very difficult to get your head around, especially for kids. At one point, I counted 8 or 9 shafts sticking out of the side thinking "what the hell is this for?" Additionally, the model is very heavy. Though robust, the outriggers are unable to lift the vehicle off the ground, though this can be achieved by lifting the model slightly off of the wheels. Then the riggers are perfectly stable. Furthermore, upon completion, there are parts of the model that do not look finished: the rotating boom has a large block that is unfilled, leaving an unsightly hole. This part is also manually rotated, which, again, is a shame, though it can be achieved through a very complex alteration in the chassis and an additional motor. The B-Model is great, however, it leaves 2 to 300 pieces un used, which could be put in places for added detail.

Overall, if you're into Lego and Technic, buy it. Personally, I'd say to buy the Technic Mercedes Unimog, which was last year's flagship model, first. It's a bit more expensive, but includes many more functions and a hell of a lot more detail - it even includes Pneumatics! As you may have guessed though, it is very, very conplex to build! Both models are definitely worth the money, very good fun too!

Please excuse any errors, this was typed on my Samsung Galaxy Note II!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why you need engineering Degrees to be a LEGO designer, 3 April 2014
Mr. Mischief (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
My last LEGO Technic model was the Unimog the company brought out back in 2011, and which I believe it still sells today. That model was an example of Technic at its best and one that I thought wouldn't be easily beaten. This, the Mk 2 crane, takes the ideas and basic design theory of the 'Mog and ramps it up to 11. The two share many common features, and parts, but the crane is bigger in most respects. The Unimog is still a fine model and a great thing to build, but the crane is just that little bit more so.

The model comprises three distinct parts - the chassis, the crane cab and the jib, pieced together using six manuals. The parts are held in various numbered bags - each number corresponding to a part of the build - and it's easy to become overwhelmed at first by the sheer scale of what you've taken on. I'm told you need various engineering Degrees to be a LEGO Technic designer and the Mk 2 crane is the perfect example of why; as you get through the build, the genius behind the design becomes apparent. Typically, you'll be bemused at why certain pieces go in certain places, seemingly with no obvious reason for them being there, and it's only once the final parts are in - and the working sections come to life - that you can see the logic behind the madness. If you're a casual builder, as I am, my best advice is to follow the plans scrupulously, not to over-think the build, and to go with the flow rather than trying to second-guess what does what or what comes next.

The chassis is the largest part of the crane and takes the longest to do, with the cab and jib being fairly quick in comparison. No part is particularly difficult to put together, but in classic Technic style it is easy to go wrong if you're not paying attention, or if you're rushing through it. Black pieces in the manuals look fairly similar to their counterpart dark grey parts, especially if you're building the model in low light, so a well-lit room is a must. Going at a fairly leisurely pace, the whole crane took me something like 15 hours (on and off) to build, which I consider a pretty good speed, relative to the size of the finished item. Putting the stickers on correctly was probably one of the hardest parts to get right, particularly as I'm a bit ham-fisted, so you should take your time doing this and double-check each sticker for positioning before you finally place it, as a mispositioned sticker is painfully obvious.

Once finished, the Mk 2 crane looks fantastic. In fact, even once the chassis is done you can see it's going to be something of a looker (and a whopper!), and adding the cab and jib is really the cherry on the cake. It's very solid, with most pieces locking together with the others around them so that even a drop onto a hard floor is unlikely to lose you more than a few odd parts here and there. The point where the cab meets the chassis is possibly one of the weaker areas, but you can lift the crane at this point if you absolutely have to and I seriously doubt that it'd break unless you were really rough with it. There's also some sag in the chassis if you pick it up in the centre, due no doubt to the extra weight of the cab and jib towards the rear.

Unlike the Unimog, the crane doesn't use any pneumatic pieces but relies on various cranks, cogs and screws for its actions - even the actuators that lift up the jib actually extend by screw-threads rather than pneumatics. The various actions are controlled by two levers - one on the side of chassis and one on the cab - using the power from the bi-directional electric motor and the battery pack on the rear. I had some initial problems getting the motor to work and eventually traced the problem to my sheer stupidity. Although the battery pack has two sections for a total of six AA batteries, only one section is visible when the pack has been affixed to the back of the crane, so I only saw slots for three batteries. Once that little hurdle was overcome, I found the crane to be really simple to operate - the chassis lever controls the raising and lowering of the four outriggers, while the cab lever controls the raising and lowering of the jib, the extending of the jib, and the raising and lowering of the hook. There's also a supplementary control on the cab for raising and lowering the outriggers.

Everything is done through a fantastically convoluted series of cogs that makes absolutely no sense when you're building the model, but which somehow comes together at the end. The jib extends fairly smoothly but there is some jerking now and then, and the same can be said of raising it. The outriggers are pretty slow when lowering and they can't lift the crane off the ground, although they do give it a fair amount of support when lifting heavy items. Unfortunately the motor doesn't turn the cab so you have to do this by hand; I guess even the largest and most fully-featured Technic model has to have some limitations.

I found, using rechargeable NiMH batteries, that the pace of the actions was pretty slow, most notably the raising and lowering of the hook; the motor isn't lacking in power so it could be a symptom of the batteries' lower voltage compared to alkaline, or it could simply indicate more torque and more lifting power - I won't know for certain until I've tried it with six alkaline batteries. The hook doesn't lower with the jib so you'll need to do it manually to release some line before you extend the jib, alternating between the two as you go; it's hardly ideal but at least the controls are next to each other so it's easy to switch between them without turning the motor off.

It seems that LEGO Technic gets better every year and the Mk 2 crane continues that theme. Not only is a nice thing to build, it's also big, brash and has a ton of great features to muck about with; it also looks fantastic sitting on a table or sideboard, if that's your thing. It isn't perfect - I feel that the chassis could be a little bit stiffer and the cab could rotate under power - but those are minor points that don't in any way detract from the model as a whole. The crane is also crying out for infra-red controls to be added (like it's older 8043 excavator brother) and this is something I'll try if I ever have the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Feb 2014
R Bligh "TP fan" (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
I loved building this, I can't fault it, I'm just disappointed that I've finished it, I don't normally make the B model but I think in a month or two I might have the heart to take this one apart and try.

Other reviewers have quoted 10 hours building time but I don't like to rush things and it took me much longer, I am an experienced builder and don't go for speed but the enjoyment of the design and build. The expense seems worth it - I can't wait to show my nephews but I'm not sure I'll let them play with it even though its robust enough - its mine (lady in her late 40s)

5.0 out of 5 stars There are 2 parts to this Review, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
First Part: Originally purchased from a Seller Blades of Steel through Amazon, found out they were fraudsters be aware:

Second Part: Amazon sorted the above issue refunding me, I ordered the item from them which was cheaper and I loved every second of building this model, the engineering design and build is brilliant. It brought back memories from my child hood and I had an amazing weekend building it. Takes about 10 - 14 hours, and I'm experinced at building technic...I can't fault anything about the model, the other thing its BIG!! I had to extend my dinning room table to build it, lost count of the bags of bits you get. Bit of advice in building, buy a toolbox with plastic dividers and place the more used parts i.e. (connectors) into the compartments leave the chunky bits in the toolbox / Table that way you don't fumble around bags trying to find the parts you need.

Lastly I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to amazon, there customer service on the previous purchase of this set was great!!! No 1..

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego 42009 Mobile Crane, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
This is a massive kit, one of the largest Technic sets to date I believe.

I spent aprox. 8 hours over two nights building the model, and there are over 200 pages to the building booklet! Just shows how complex this model is.

This is certainly one for the older, more experienced builder or for younger people with supervision.

I found it really interesting building the kit and seeing how one motor unit in the moveable crane body controls so many different functions, such as raising and lowering the arm, extending the arm, and extending and lowering the support legs. The manual functions such as moving pistons in the engine when the wheels turn and the way the front and rear two axels turn is cleaver and realistic.

I have made a few modifications - for example making the vehicle LHD, and using some extra Power functions parts (lights, and switch) to give my model working lights. I am also considering installing a second motor box and IR receiver so I can drive my model.

I was impressed with the quick delivery from Amazon, and even with the tracking showing that my package went for a holiday in Brussels, it still turned up well within time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego at its best, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
Wonderful detail in this model ... a good 10 hours building time 6 booklets with step by step building instructions to assist .. a Must for any Lego fan or for anyone who has 10 hours to spare :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great model, 31 May 2014
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
If you like Lego (like me) you will love this model. Not only is the main model excellent but the secondary model (needs downloading from the Internet) is great too - giving you two vehicles. The only slight word of warning is when building it pay very close attention to the small cogs on the ends of the moving legs ---> took me three builds to figure out they needed to be turned around on opposite sides and I could get them to work and not just click continually.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome., 19 April 2014
J. Elkin "CM" - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
I am 38 I bought this set for myself - because I am a big kid... actually I bought it to play with my two daughters who are five and eight - knowing that they can't build anything like this by themselves, it provides a great bonding opportunity. And also serves as a great distraction from pink fairies and the other girly tat that is out there. We need more technical women, so folks start by playing technical games with your girl kids... both my daughters are loving building this thing and beg me to return to it to add a little more to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego 42009, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
This toy was bought for my boyfriend who is 32, he never gets bored of making Lego technic, which is good as it kept him quiet all Christmas Day. Over all this toy is brilliant because of the engineering with in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Technic Set, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II (Toy)
Bought this set to put away for Christmas - Amazon had the on offer for 130 a 19 saving on today's price of 149 (27/08/13).
The set comes in a large box and is the biggest set Lego has produced so far.
Quit a weighty and substantial gift and a great present for any Technic lovers over the cold winters months.
Well done Amazon - delivered on time and arrived in great condition.

LEGO Technic 42009: Mobile Crane Mk II