4.0 out of 5 stars Working very well on my SOHO, Win8.1/Win7
Bought this to replace my OfficePro8000 which wanted a new printhead at £50. The other head had already been replaced and following the hassles of the previous Pro1200 I decided it was time to consider an alternative as the HPs were just costing way too much.

Published 19 months ago by J. Mckay

3.0 out of 5 stars Huhmmm
Looks neat and appears to do what it says.

But.

As you'd probably know about most 'wide-format' printers nowadays (and I've had a few - about 17 at one time - as a home-based graphic designer / photographer), this particular printer also 'self-cleans' every few hours or so.

And what does self-cleaning do? Well, it's meant to unclog the...
Published 19 months ago by olajohnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Huhmmm, 26 Dec. 2013
olajohnson (Luton, Beds United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brother DCP-J4110DW A3 Wireless Printer with A4 Copy & Scan Capabilities (Accessory)
Looks neat and appears to do what it says.

But.

And what does self-cleaning do? Well, it's meant to unclog the ink from the print heads, or something technical like that, something most small printers only do when switched on for the first time, or after a cartridge change.

So, this self-cleaning also does what obvious thing? Well, it empties out loads of ink - that's what it does! To their credit, manufacturers tell you this before hand; but, oh dear, this one takes the biscuit!

I exaggerate not. This printer has bled dry £60 worth of ink - just from one cartridge change! I have barely printed out 10 A4 colour pages at 25% coverage, plus perhaps another 30 copies b/w photocopies, and it's time to replace cartridges.

And once one cartridge empties - say the yellow - you are not allowed to use the b/w copier. So, just to fulfill a 10p worth of photocopying, you spend another £15 replacing the yellow (assuming you're fooled into sticking to original ink brands).

But that's not all - I won't be writing this if it wasn't true - by the time it 'installs' the yellow cartridge, with all the groaning and whirring 'unclogging' noise - yes, you guessed it - the magenta cartridge self-empties!!

My advice is, if you're going to purchase a printer, any printer, ensure you can find cheap ink replacements, can buy all four (or 2 to 6) colours at once, and have at least one set of back-ups at all times.

Also, if possible, remove your printer plug from the socket at all times between use to avoid creepy, noisy, ghostly operations of blood-sucking, (sorry, ink-draining) through the night.

I might decide to give up this printer out of frustration very soon. Watch this space. But do you think it will be wicked of me to sell on these problems to someone else? And where will I go, knowing printer manufacturers make their money off ink sales nowadays?

Who says dilemmas can't be expensive? :/

4.0 out of 5 stars Working very well on my SOHO, Win8.1/Win7, 26 Dec. 2013
J. Mckay - See all my reviews

This stood out with the duplex option (key requirement), page scanner, and the A3 single feed option. I don't need A3 often but it's nice to have the option. The printer has worked great since it was installed; it's on the network and used by three PCs seamlessly with absolutely no problem finding, printing or status (unlike the pro8000 which wasn't fully supported). Stiff photo paper or card can also go in the straight rear feed slot.

I've knocked one star off purely as the plastic paper handling parts feel a bit light/fragile and I'm sure would fail in a multiuser, rough handling area pretty quickly. We know to be careful and I'm sure it'll work out for me. It's neat, its tidy, the landscape feed format is great, photos are fine (I don't tend to print many though), and the scanner function is an added bonus. All this for under £100 delivered is fantastic.

There are similar models from Brother with the same basic printer and multi page feeders for the scanner too.... I decided this one with single page scanner was all I needed and it's working out really well so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value/performance, 20 Jun. 2013
Mr. P. Stocker (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I needed an A3 printer for occasional posters at a reasonable price from a reliable manufacturer, the Brother seemed to tick a lot of boxes. The printer was delivered promptly, well within promised times. It was easy to set up on our Wi-Fi home network. The touch screen is easy to use with ink levels visible at all times. In operation the paper mechanism is a little noisy but works well. Print is limited by the number of cartridges, being only three colour + black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good wireless printer, 24 Jun. 2014
Easy to use and efficient, a good purchase and good value for money. Non original cartridges also works for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son has the same printer so I followed suit and glad I did, 6 Feb. 2015
C. G. Wilks "Graham" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
I have used a Canon for several years but then Canon stopped supporting it and it would not work properly with OS X.9. My son has the same printer so I followed suit and glad I did

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, I would recommend it though..., 26 Nov. 2014
Purchased this for the office so that we can print color from time to time.
This printer looks good and to my surprise, it come with a Network connector - although I don't recall reading this anywhere !!!
So now the whole office can share and use the printer.

It prints both A3 and A4, the print quality is good enough for what we need.
I would not recommend this for professional use though, but general home/office, I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 19 Jan. 2014
This printer does everything that I want it to. It's fast a little noisy when printing but total value for the money and I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars V pleased with purchase, 22 Nov. 2013
Be Sa Heyes - See all my reviews
Nice compact printer. Easy to set up
Working well so far.
Paper tray could be sturdier
Would recommend to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice Printer, 3 Jan. 2014
1. Looks good
2. Easy to setup
3. the whole family can print to it via wifi etc.

Nuff said.

4.0 out of 5 stars The printing is of a good quality and fast but to print iformation off the ..., 2 July 2014
The printing is of a good quality and fast but to print iformation off the net I have to save it first.