4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a classic, but not quite

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost a classic, but not quite, 3 April 2013
S. A. Gordon (Enfield, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
I have lived with this album for over a week now. I always think you need a few plays before you can do any review. Firstly, I am fan of this band and therefore, there will always be a bias that you want to like it. I appear to be in the minority in that I was slightly disappointed with the previous album, Beat The Devil's Tattoo. My favourite BRMC albums are Howl and Baby 81. I thought that Beat The Devil's Tattoo was a bit of step backwards from the previous two but Specter is definitely a step forwards.
There are some of the best songs that they have recorded on this album, especially the slow, moody ones. Really enjoying Returning and Lullaby at the moment plus Lose Yourself.
It's not a classic though as there a couple of tracks that I can live without.Teenage Disease seems forced and Sometimes The Light never goes anywhere. However, these are minor quibbles.
I also have the three bonus tracks - none of these would have improved the main twelve tracks of the album but Angel Baby is probably the best of the three.
Overall, I think it is a bit different to earlier albums but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Bands have to evolve over time and I think this is an improvement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy, 22 Mar. 2013
jjonesp (Salford, Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
I'm a massive BRMC fan and have been eagerly anticipating this latest release. The previous album, Beat The Devil's Tattoo contained (in my opinion) 3 of their absolute best tunes and a lot of others that missed the mark somehow. It wasn't that it was a bad album but definitely one that I would struggle to listen to the whole way through now. Spector At The Feast is similar, however with a better success rate.

It starts off with the moody 'Fire Walker'. This track is superb. I've read a couple of reviews complaining that it never quite takes off. They are missing the point, it's never meant to. It's perfect as it is, slowly guiding you into the album before the raucous cover of The Call's 'Let the Day Begin'. For those unaware, bassist Robert Levon Been's father was the lead singer of The Call and recently died while on tour with BRMC, working as a sound engineer. The quality certainly doesn't let up with the next two tracks 'Returning' and 'Lullaby', the latter being a gloriously lush indie-pop track and possibly BRMC's finest of that type to date.

Then comes the mid album slump. 'Hate the Taste' seems almost a parody of the excellent Ain't No Easy Way from their 2005 album Howl and 'Rival' is a rocker that completely misses the spot. Things improve with 'Teenage Disease', more of a spit than anything else, it packs a mighty punch and should sound excellent live. The tempo slows down again with the ambient 'Some Kind of Ghost' which is not nearly as good as it should be. 'Sometimes the Light' is good however, very like 'Open Invitation', the track tagged onto 'The Line' at the end of Howl. 'Funny Games' comes and goes before you're left with the two epic tracks of the album. 'Sell It' is truly monstrous BRMC flat out rock at its finest. Starting off with a dirty base line before getting increasingly angry and reaching a crescendo of noise. It's possibly the album's finest moment. 'Lose Yourself' finishes things off. This one will divide fans as it is dangerously close to Coldplay power-ballad standards. To me it just stays the right side of cheesy but I can fully understand why the hardcore BRMC fan would be put off by it.

Overall there's some more classic songs to add the band's huge collection. I'm still waiting on another classic album though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album but amazon sending out the wrong packaging, 26 Mar. 2013
Barry Bell (edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
This album isn't as rocky as their last album, which was there best album, but it's still a great album. I ordered the deluxe packaging but time I received from amazon a week later they had sent out the wrong cd & gave me it in the standard box. I'm not the only person they have done that to. Still a great album tho & I seen them last night at the Barrowlands which was rocking & played loads of their new songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Immerse yourself in it - it's excellent!, 9 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
Having worked my up through BRMC's earlier offerings, when I first heard the pre-release of "let the day begin" (track 2) and then the whole album I was momentarily disappointed... but only momentarily.

A second listen on a decent hifi (instead of on my PC at work!) and I was hooked. The reviews here that state that this album is without "passion" or "drive" can only come from people who haven't actually listened to it properly. Songs of intrigue and anguish, masterfully crafted and well produced that create a powerful soundscape that is followed through for the whole album.

Shut the doors, turn it up loud, immerse yourself in it - it's a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME ALBUM, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
Hate the taste, Rival are two quality songs. I seen a few other reviews not in favour of these two tracks, but they are their biggest hits on the album, hence the reason they've played them on their 2013/14 tour. I like BRMC, especially over the last 6-7, they have matured a shell of a lot, they use to be immature and be an interviewers worst nightmare, now they have showed their maturity, and people like talking to them, especially getting to know Peter Hayes more, imo he is a musical genius, very underrated musician, one of a kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cd, 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
Love this cd, followed them from there great debut and after seeing them support pearl jam at Milton Keynes bowl (they were brilliant by the way), decided to seek out there new releases and this album doesn't disappoint , real good rockers(let the day begin/rival) to atmospheric sounds this album encapsulates it all. If your new to brmc it's a good place to start , the musicianship is exceptional and it renews your faith in rock n roll, a truly great band.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great record, 28 Mar. 2013
Many have called this a return to form however as a fan (and therefore admittedly bias) every record this band puts out has its moments of genius. Catchy riffs and foot stomping beats have always been this bands forte and are present on Specter at the feast.

Whats interesting about this album though is that it's these type of songs that let the album down, Rival and Teenage Disease sound like outtakes from Baby 81.

The impact of the unfortunate passing of Levan Been snr is evident throughout with a number of tracks taking a more sombre, introspective approach whilst still packing the BRMC punch. It's these tracks where the album excels and proves that they're a band capeable of diversyfying without losing what makes them great.

In a pop obsessed world it's great to see a (criminally underated) rock band like BRMC going strong, consitently delivering the goods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait!, 3 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
I listened to the sample tracks and wasn't sure I'd like it. I was right - at first I thought it was not a patch on their previous stuff. Then I put it on my MP3 player and..........WOW!!! FANTASTIC!! Just can't stop playing it now. Ah thanks B.R.M.C for another little slice of music heaven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the good old times, 2 Nov. 2013
I enjoyed B.M.R.Cs music since their first album and the new album is an other one I will be listing too regularly. Not sure if listing my favorite or least favorite song as music is a very personal choice. But I can say that the cover looks great, especially the vinyl version.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same (in a good way), 16 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Specter At The Feast (Audio CD)
Dirty blues rock at its finest... if you liked the previous albums by BRMC you'll like this. Doesn't bring anything new to the table but it's no worse for that

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Specter At The Feast
Specter At The Feast by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Audio CD - 2013)