5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite book on intermittent fasting
Published 19 months ago by dancing queen

3.0 out of 5 stars The IF Diet
I downloaded this book thinking it would be easier to get to grips with whilst reading it at night. I must say that I was not swayed either way by the content.
Published 13 months ago by stottwat

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite book on intermittent fasting, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Paperback)
Okay - here's my history. Aged 54 - height 5 feet 1 inch - heaviest weight 17stones 4 pounds -BMI 48.6 -currently BMI 33.0 =tried every diet you can possibly think of since I was 9 years old. How sad is that! They all worked (with great difficulty and hunger). Then the weight went back on and some! Low carb helped me to lose 6 and a half stones in 15 months but then gained 3 stones in 4 months. I think this may have been cused by boredom of samey samey food (and the stress of my lovely daughter getting married!) I am so scared I am going back to square one and all the health risks that come with being fat.Having said that I am still a great fan of low carb.

Fat all my life, having been born a fat baby. Damn those genes! But hold on a mo! This book has changed all that.

Look -I am in no doubt that intermittent fasting works - I have been intermittent fasting and losing weight using another book that has sold hundreds and it is good too. That is not why I am leaving this review. I am giving this review for several reasons. And here they are.
1. This book gives hope - you don't have to settle for the genes you are born with - you work with them
2. This book is written in a humerous , light fashion. While my fat has never been a source of amusement, this book has cheered me up when I haven't had much all my life
3. This book never pressurises you to do anything - the ball is in your court! Human nature is such that if you are told to do something you do the complete opposite. This applies so much to food restriction - hence the reason for so much failure.
4. This book gives you the science in a clear informative way without bogging you down and inspires positivity and an attitude of 'I can do this.'
5. This book seems to know this might get difficult and suggests ways around it, almost like holding your hand in the process.
6.This book goes that much further and gives suggestions on how you can accelerate the weight loss - only if you want to and in your own time
7.This book gives 3 different types of intermittent fasting because one glove does not fit all. (This should have been point number one).
8. This book does not give meal suggestions - in my experience that is being told what to do - it doesn't work! The author's view is that if you are only having 500 calories you should be at liberty to use them as you will. He does point out that eating carbs will make you hungrier but if that's what you want to do then so be it. He even gives a list of fast food that fit the bill. I wouldn't dream of eating fast food but I might just feel like it at some point in my life. I am only human after all. Now that the restriction is lifted I probably never will be tempted - you see what I mean!
9. This book says if you fall off the bandwagon that's ok - climb back on board when you are ready. No running about daft, clearing out cupboards and buying in special food.

This my first Amazon review. I am quite new to Amazon. Procrastination is the thing I am best at! That is the reason I have not left a review as yet for my other other purchases , though I fully intend to. (Intend being the operative word). I am not an aquaintance or in in any way connected to Robert Skinner. In fact , that is probably my only gripe. I want to know more about who he is and what he does. This is my honest review about a book that gives me hope for the first time in 54 years alongside one or two others. And boy! - have I read books about being a fatty and how not to be a fatty!

This is the book you want guys- when all else has failed. I look forward to being 9 stones 6 pounds - BMI 25.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical before trying it, 18 Mar 2013
Leyla (DIDIM, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because like many others I was interested in losing weight and had heard a lot about the subject. I have since gone on to read other books on the topic and my evaluation of this book has increased since reading the others.
The author offers three styles of intermittent fasting. Most books recommend just one way. The author explains the pros and cons of each style very simply. Each style works and each style is suitable for different circumstances.
I started on the 5:2 approach but then realised that it is very difficult to do alone; a diet companion is best for this programme (I have tried it with and without a partner). Also it is anti-social on the fasting days (to state the obvious!) but it works and shouldn't be dismissed if you have a routine that you can control and work around. I then moved onto the thirder programme which I had dismissed on first read thinking that it would be too easy and ineffective. It isn't as easy as it sounds to fast for 18 hours a day and you will naturally eat less but in fact it is something that you can stay sociable with and live a very normal life with it.
Actually both methods work equally well and suit different times in your life / different routines. I haven't yet tried the third method (alternate day fasting) as I do not think I need to be that strict but I am sure that would work wonders for weight loss!
The book is a mixture of light scientific information and easy to read practical advice.

I suspect that many readers will go onto read other books on this topic, like I did. I recommend The Fast Diet by Dr Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer as a complementary read. It is more detailed and more scientific so not for all tastes but if you are interested in the research background then this is an excellent book to go for. If you read both of these books, you will have a complete picture and there is no need to spend a few pennies here and there reading all of the texts that early dieters have written to jump on the bandwagon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked this the best, 13 April 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
I have now read several books on IF, and this one is by far the best and easiest to understand. I felt that the author was explaining directly to me and gave me a range of options to pick from. He also says that you can have up to 600 calories when fasting. Thoroughly recommend the purchase of this book first, if you are debating which IF book to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise read, 31 July 2013
Mrs Hagfoot (Bournemouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
Unlike many "diet" books this one is easy to read and to follow. Even though Robert Skinner uses recent science to back up his claims it is presented in a reader friendly way for the lay person.
What I particularly liked was that three different ways of fasting are presented. There is the alternate day option, the "weekender" and the Thirder where eating is restricted to an 8 hour window e.g. 12pm to 8pm and a 16 hour fast follows.
When I tired Michael Mosley method I really did not get on with it and soon gave up. I found I had the shakes, bad headaches making it impossible to work, and I felt very sick. However, I was convinced by the science. I am a typical dieter and my weight has ballooned after each failed attempt. Nevertheless, the weight I lost on the 5:2 diet still has not returned even after 6 months.
I have opted to follow the Thirder plan. I feel that it is much more sustainable long term and doable during the school holidays. For me it basically means skipping breakfast and that snack which has crept in at around 10am. So far I am keeping to it and best of all I do not feel deprived. No food has been banned which, for a long term dieter, is blissful freedom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Useful, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
I have been doing the 5:2 Fast Diet for 3 months, with two non-consecutive fast days per week, but I was finding this hard to do with my highly-energetic son off school for the summer holidays. I haven't lost a massive amount of weight on the Fast Diet (5kg) but I wasn't really overweight in the first place - the big advantage of the Fast Diet for me is that I feel better and don't have to cut out every single food group in order to maintain my weight - I put on weight so easily eating "normal" food even if I'm exercising 5 days a week! However, with the holidays looming, if I am walking, running and swimming for hours per day keeping up with my son, eating only 500 calories is pure torture and difficult to achieve if we're out and about. So I was happy to come across this book in the Kindle catalogue and it has proved to be very useful and informative reading. I have learnt that I can do a version of the Fast Diet that fits around a busy and active summer schedule. I am going to do Intermittant Fasting using the author's "Thirder" plan where you can eat during an 8 hour window per day and eat nothing for the 16 hours outwith that time. I have already started doing this, I feel good and the best part is that I can eat normally during my son's active times. I like that this book offers a flexible approach in a straightforward manner and tells readers not to beat themselves up if "life intervenes" as, inevitably, it will!

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers all you need to know about intermittent fasting, 2 May 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
This small book covers all you need to know about intermittent fasting, which in essence is a very simple concept, but with profound effects.
The author uses a jaunty style, and initially explains the physiology behind the diet in a straight forward, but not patronising way, for the non-scientist.
He then goes on to explain three different ways of using IF, suggesting the reader pick the most convenient strategy for them.
After giving calorie values of the big high street fast food chain products, he finally gives a list of research papers supporting the diet; a sensible move given the current trend towards evidence-based health practice.
Overall, good value for money in Kindle format at only £0.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all rounder, 19 April 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
This book is great as it not only explains the IF diet and all the science behind it in layman terms but it makes you realise that YOU CAN DO IT! So easy to read, funny and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's new, easy and proven to work, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
To my surprise, there's a lot of data out there that supports the affects of `Intermittent Fasting' for weight loss which is why I decided to buy this and give it a go. This is like no other diet I've done in the past and I've done many - only to achieve the nasty yo-yo effect.

For a start, it doesn't come with the caveat; 20-30 minutes of vigorous exercise x times a week plus a daily intake of x portions of this, that, and the other. Secondly, we're not required to deprive ourselves of food continually for days on end or weeks for that matter. I'm doing one of the three methods which requires that you alternate from eating your normal amount of calories on one day, to eating 500 - 600 calories in total the next. My life is pretty much a routine so following this hasn't been difficult. As long as you don't attempt to chase the ice cream van on the days you restrict your calories, then you should get along fine with this method, otherwise if this doesn't suit you, there is a weekend only option or another method which involves having an 8 hour fast period. Quite early into this I'm seeing changes to my body and all without having to slog it out in the gym! And if not having to exercise isn't enticing enough, there's also mention of there being benefits to the brain.

Gladly this author hasn't gone into overdrive with jargon and has done a good job of keeping this a simple, motivating and easy flowing read, all without leaving you bored half way through. For those reasons and for the fact that this diet is working for me with minimal effort, I'm giving it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: The IF Diet (Kindle Edition)
I have never read a diet book from start to finish as I usually loose the will to live by about page 5! However, this book is NOT a diet book, it is amazing! You won't find meal plans in this book but you will find the right mix of science and common sense. I found it really interesting to know the science behind things (without being so complex that reading becomes a struggle) and be able to apply their suggestions understanding the why's and how's. I have adopted the Thirder plan...... 8 days later I have lost 7lbs. I have not been hungry, I have not changed my food, I have only limited myself to eating for a third of the day.

I will read this book again and again...... for me a life changer! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The No Diet diet book, 28 July 2013
S. Shorrock (Shrewsbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The IF Diet (Paperback)
So I downloaded this on my Kindle for the massive sum of £0.99p on the strength of other people's reviews. I've been in the fitness business for over 25 years and I've read 100's of diet books but for the first time I've found a book which actually makes scientific sense. He makes it SO easy to understand. Intermittent fasting has become popular over the last few years so I was eager to give it a try. I don't really need to lose weight but I thought the easiest of the three plans was the Thirder. So on Monday night I finished eating before 8pm and didn't eat again until 12pm the next day, basically missing breakfast. I had a couple of coffees each morning. Thats 16 hours without food each day. By Friday I'd lost 5lbs and 2% body fat. Impressive.

The IF Diet