Style Name: iPhone 5/5S|Package Type: Weatherproof Case Cover|Change
Price:£29.49+ £2.49 shipping

on 18 May 2013
I very rarely write any reviews because I'm a fat lazy chubster. However, as I've recently purchased a smashing new bike I've become slightly more proactive nowadays which led me to buy a waterproof case for my iPhone. As you're aware, all iPhone owners have an uncontrollable and psychopathic desire to inform absolutely every other human they encounter that they are an owner of an iPhone. For this reason you'll have to excuse me for mentioning the iPhone in every single sentence in the hope that you'll be suitably impressed and want to be my friend.

This waterproof case costs a fair few quid but it's really worth it if you're planning on getting out and about with your iPhone this summer (I did warn you). The best thing is that your iPhone will be fully visible when attached to your handlebars which can only mean you will attract admiring glances from members of the opposite sex as you cruise along (well maybe that's just in our heads but you know what I'm talking about). It's very well built and you don't have to worry about your iPhone at all whilst cycling on any terrain. The case protects the iPhone against heavy rain and the vibrations which travel through the bike frame as you strike various objects which you would've avoided if only you weren't reading your emails at 27mph on a dual carriageway. The case allows you to use the iPhone screen freely which means you can easily change apps as and when required without needing to take it out of it's sturdy case. It's quite a good motivational tool if you install cycling apps which allow you track your progress or indeed navigate around new areas without fear of straying into a rough area where you may be mugged for your iPhone (the type of down market area where Android devices are commonplace).

The iPhone case even allows for music/radio to be played as you cycle along which is a lot less dangerous than using earphones. I fully recommend this case to my fellow iPhone owners as it is a fantastic piece of kit which I simply cannot fault.

P.S. iPhone
1212 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2013
i bought this last week and took it out on a ride in light/moderate rain. i was riding for around one hour. to my horror, when i got back, there was moisture both inside the case and on the screen of the iphone. mercifully, my phone doesn't seem to have suffered technical consequences from this (although I have had to replace my protective screen cover on the phone, as the adhesive reacted with the water). In terms of a cradle for the iphone, this works well, and i will continue to use it in dry weather, but please don't buy it thinking it's waterproof.
on 5 June 2014
I was cycling and it just fell of midway through, this was on a main road which is dangerous, and the phone could of gotten broken, I a, very disappointed with this!
on 28 October 2013
Prior to this case I had the Biologic case for my old 3GS. One of my main gripes with that case is it didn’t keep the water out in even light rain. My main focus upon receiving my new iPhone 5 was a case that not only protected my iPhone, kept it secure no matter what terrain I was riding and most importantly keeping my iPhone dry.

The Good Side:

I've had this case for 4 months and it’s stood the test of time...so far. Not a single drop of water has entered the case and I’m talking heavy rain for up to an hour nor have I been worried about the phone popping out of the case as the locking mechanism ensures a tight and firm lock.

It’s very responsive to the touch through the transparent cover and never has issues with the iPhone not responding to my touches.

You can easily plug in your ear phones (safety first!) and the seal when closed keeps water at bay. The speaker audio is almost as good as if it wasn't in the case and with only slight muffle so with cycle apps you can hear track data being shouted at you.

The Bad Side:

I have noticed that over time if you have the case strapped directly to the handlebars the case will gradually move if you are heavy fingered. What I mean by this is because you can only tighten the strap so much without the threads giving way (plastic) it is never solid on and you can 'with force' move the case forwards or backwards. Mine is now attached to the stem.

The hinges that lock the cover are connected together by metal rods and these tend to poke out over continual use of opening and closing the latches. I find myself getting a key to try and push them back in every months or so. This I think is due to the amount of tension being created when initially locking the case up but not so much a big deal.

The case comes with a separate internal case that directly attaches to the iPhone and acts to hold the iPhone firmly in place in the case and also as protection when you take the iPhone out of the case. I have noticed a big problem with this which if you leave this on over time dust will collect between the plastic 'shim' and the back of your iPhone. There is an ever so slight amount of play that allows the iPhone to move 1mm up and down and because of this my iPhone now has minute pin holes where larger sized dust particles have become stuck and have started grinding into the back.

Even with the setbacks it’s still a good case and for the price it’s one of the better waterproof cases.
on 5 September 2013
Ive had this product for a few months, I only managed to use it for a month or two before my bike broke :(

but while my mountain bike was fine and working, I used this product everywhere, I used my phone to video my journeys on the bike. I used the product to firmly hold my phone in place while i used the gps app around areas i didn't know. and the case most definitely served me well while i still had my bike, i still have the case and im waiting to put it on my soon to be new bike.

I guess lucky for you guys reading this review, i actually sustained a crash on my bike while my phone was in this case while it was attached to the bike, It was a pretty serious crash, so it was worthy test on the durability of the case. I flipped forwards on the bike, and after getting up my handlebars bent, but the case and phone were absolutely fine! nothing at all happened to them other than the expected scratch or two on the case, But the main thing is the phone sustained zero percent damage whatsoever. and neither did the case other than a small scuff/scratch. and for a decent crash where i was going at speed, that's pretty impressive,

Its a well worth buy for your phone, it gives you much more privileges which you didn't have before, ill name a few... You can record your journeys, use gps safely and talk on loudspeaker with a friend hands-free and safely. oh yeah, one more thing, it has a stand at the back of a case so you can put it on its side and watch videos easily, while your just relaxing,

Other than this product is fairly bulky (which is to be expected). you gotta put safety first when it comes to a £400+ phone over whether your case it thin enough,

All in all, its a great product, definitely recommend! Go ahead and treat yourself! :P
on 6 August 2013
This is an excellent product. Easy to fit (once I'd realized that the handlebar mounting works like a jubilee clip!). Phone is in and out very quickly. At first I thought that getting it out would be tricky as the fit is so secure but soon realized that it can be gently pushed-out using the hole at the rear for the camera.

By luck my first outing was in moderate rain; no problem the phone was kept perfectly dry. I'm currently leaving the entire mount fitted as the one tricky bit is removing the case from the handlebar mount (to be positive I suppose you could say this is reassuringly tight!). This could lead to one problem - I have noticed that few drops of rainwater do collect around the case clips, that's not a problem when getting the phone out but I can foresee that if care is not taken when opening the case when wet to put the phone in, some of that water ending up inside the case.

Especially good is the screen, it has a very good non-reflective surface and the phone screen is very clear through it and there is no reduction in touch sensitivity. It's very easy to see and use the phone even in high ambient light levels.

OK, an update on 18th August. The day before I wrote this another review said "Holes for the headphone socket are too small to plug anything in." I thought "what's he on about the iPhone earphones fit perfectly." Since found out that he is right. Now have tried two other earphones and the jack plug will not go through. So now got some great earphones - perfect for cycling - sturdy and non-isolating and to use them the phone's back in the pocket. Currently pondering the three alternatives 1. Get the drill out! 2. Get the spectacle screwdriver out and remove the small panel that has the hole in it. 3. ask my local friendly HI-Fi shop man to make me up a very short male / female jack lead to sit permanently in the case. The last one I think will be the best if he can do it.

Later reviews regarding water ingress are a bit worrying. Used it once more in rain since, mine still keeping the phone dry. Also having no problems with the mount. I've now got the knack of getting the case off the mount and I've seen no evidence of weakness in it. I do road and cycle track riding so a but bumpy at times but not mountain biking stuff.
on 30 August 2013
I've used this bike mount for about 60km of road cycling thus far, and it's been great.

It contains a shaped foam inner plus a plastic inner case to keep your phone tightly secure. Two plastic clips, not unlike those on tupperware, keep the front closed and seem to keep the phone impervious to water. The touchscreen works fine through the plastic in the dry; I haven't tried it when wet.

The home and lock buttons can be used through the case, but the volume and mute buttons must be accessed via the screen. The case allows access to the headphone and power ports, and actually reinforces them with two small clips to stop them from getting pulled out.

The case can click between landscape and portrait (or any position between the two), which is handy for certain navigational apps. I find that I need the phone flat enough that the gyroscope doesn't realise that I'm moved the position to landscape, however.

The boast that it redirects the sound towards you is perhaps a little hyperbolic, but above 15mph I wouldn't expect to hear the phone anyway; I guess an earphone in one ear would help here.

Incidentally - and this is no reflection on the product - don't expect the phone to last long with GPS going and screen locking disabled; I squeezed one hour out of mine.

I'll update this review if I experience failure like some other reviewers, but it's seemed solid thus far.
on 8 February 2014
The screws that are used to hold the body in place to the mount are too short, thus, when I went to adjust the unit slightly the casing gave way and all four screws broke at once. I should point out these are internal screws and the reason for the breakage was simply their length and the cheap plastic that they screwed in to.

Thankfully, this happened at home and not on some busy road halfway through a ride...

I've ordered one of the other brands, hopefully it will be better quality.
on 16 August 2013
I would have normally expected more from a Totally Gadgets product, but this wasn't a great experience.

Firstly, it's just not waterproof to any kind of IP68 standard so that's something to be aware of. If you get caught in a shower, you need to remove it and put it under cover because your device will get wet.

What annoyed me more though was that it is made from substandard plastic. The vibrations of a roadbike were simply too much for the bracket which cracked mid ride and caused my device to come flying off at 30mph. Luckily the case did a good job of protecting it, but it was disappointing to see such a flaw.

Would now recommend a Garmin Edge device over this workaround!
on 1 November 2013
This gadget is super. I am very happy with it and it is definitely waterproof, I have tested it in the Great British weather! The fixing that goes on the bike is definitely the weaker part of the design and did break on the first one I bought however Amazon were very helpful and a replacement arrived the following day. It has since been fine.