5.0 out of 5 stars Pardonable Lies
Published 6 months ago by Damaskcat

3.0 out of 5 stars Pardonable doubts?
Published 18 months ago by Lacey Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Pardonable Lies, 2 Mar 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs) (Kindle Edition)
Maisie Dobbs – psychologist and investigator – is asked to take on a case for a friend of Lord Julian Compton. Ralph Lawton was killed when his plane crashed in France during World War I but his mother has been told by mediums that her son is still alive. His father makes a promise to his wife on her death bed that he will try and find out whether Ralph is still alive.

Maisie is reluctant to take on the case because it will involve returning to France where she herself served as a nurse during the war. She is not at all sure that she wants to remember when she herself was injured. It soon becomes clear that the case is not going to be straightforward and various incidents make her think someone wants to stop her investigating. Then her friend, Priscilla, asks her to find out the ultimate fate of one of her brothers. Is this a request too far?

I found this book an absorbing read with its very well drawn characters and excellent historical background. I like Maisie herself who is developing into a complex character and I think her assistant, Billy is an excellent foil for her. I think Maisie’s uneasy relationship with Detective Inspector Richard Stratton is believable and subtly drawn. I also like the way the difficulties single women faced in the nineteen twenties and thirties are portrayed. It is a theme which runs through all the books but it is not obtrusive or overdone.

If you enjoy historical crime series with more depth than the average then try Maisie Dobbs. The books can be read as standalone novels but are best, in my opinion, read in the order in which they were published. This is number three in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third in the series, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs) (Kindle Edition)
I really am enjoying this series. I intend to read each and every one. Detection but with a twist. I enjoy the historical background, the social background and the changes in the lives of each of the main, re-occuring characters. Wish I could afford to buy them all at once but am trying to ration myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs) (Kindle Edition)
so good to read Everything this woman writes is excellent., and exceptionally well written, so well observed, intelligent and good

4.0 out of 5 stars Jacqueline Winspwear Maisie Dobbs novels, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs) (Kindle Edition)
Jacqueline Winspear makes every effort to research the plotting of her Maisie Dobbs novels. Unfortunately there are occasional leaps into modern parlance and there are sometimes American phrases that don't quite fit the 1920/30's English period. However, they are very enjoyable reading, otherwise I wouldn't keep buying them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maisie Dobbs goes to France in search of the truth, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs) (Kindle Edition)
I find the character of Maisie Dobbs fascinating, and I feel it is quite capable of standing alone, regardless of the mysteries that she manages to solve in her inimitable manner. I hasten to say that I was born in 1944, but the atmosphere of the inter-war years, described to me during my childhood by my mother, seems to have been captured so accurately here. Jacqueline Winspear’s research is impeccable, and never spoiled by making to overt an appearance in the books. The occasional little detail about police radios etc. simply adds enhancement. I am also interested by the development of the other characters in the tale: it is interesting that Blanche is not such a simple or sympathetic person as he might at first appear. Another excellent tale, and I am now in the middle of the next book in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pardonable doubts?, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs) (Kindle Edition)
Research excellent, settings believable, many characters convincing, plot a bit wild, with unlikely ramifications. (Berlin). Ms Winspear's heroine veers between sensitive ex VAD who lied about her age and intrepid, intelligent investigator whom not much shocks. I believed in her Dad but less in her aristocratic patrons and hardly at all in her tame policeman, though I know the horrible, stupid, jealous and misogynistic sergeant was true to life because I've met some like that among my father's dinosaurian colleagues: he was a good, kind police sergeant, a New Man ahead of his time.) This book suggests that the police of the period missed obvious facts because of their prejudices, a claim I have no difficulty in accepting.
My chief reservation about the book is the language: though there were few historical solecisms, it felt very modern. Ms Winspear is not confident with long, latinate words and sometimes tangles herself in long sentences and yes, before you mutter under your breath, I am a retired English teacher and most people would neither notice not care about the slight weakness of style. I shall try another and hope to like it better.

Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs)
Pardonable Lies: 3 (Maisie Dobbs) by Jacqueline Winspear