5.0 out of 5 stars Incedible Value: Update
Published 22 months ago by Patrick Lowery

3.0 out of 5 stars very good tablet, but battery life isn't great
Like it's response time to inputs and iPlayer works very well. The price is very reasonable. However, re-charging the device has become anissue and I hopeit's only a batch problem, rather than a product flaw.
Published 21 months ago by Chrispy

5.0 out of 5 stars Incedible Value: Update, 22 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Zoostorm 3305-1030 10.1-inch PlayTab Tablet PC (Cortex A9 Dual Core 1.5GHz, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB SSD, Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen 1280x800, USB 2.0, Built-in Speaker and Microphone, Android 4.1) (Personal Computers)
I've now had the opportunity to put the charger and the battery to the test. Both come up to full expectations. Since last fully charging the zoostorm's battery I have watched two streaming documentaries on TVCatchup and two streamed movies on Netflix lasting over 5 hours in total. I have also browsed the playstore, downloaded apps and read my favourite newspaper online. The battery still shows a 28% charge. I really can't fault this tablet.

To say I'm delighted is an understatement ...
... I've been considering a tablet for almost 6 months but being a low income pensioner I kept delaying the inevitable. Cost was obviously a main factor - £400 top end tablets were well out of my price range - and I've spent literally hour upon hour comparing devices, performance, reviews etc. It seemed I would never find anything suitable until I saw the Zoostorm. Even then, I hesitated for a few days.
The delay was well worth it! The zoostorm is a solidly built, ergonomically sound tablet and feels as comfortable and reassuring to hold as anything I've held and tried in PC World or other electronics stores. If there is a downside it's the size of the power and volume buttoms which are small and a bit difficult to feel for initially, but this is a very personal thing and no doubt I'll soon become accustomed to them.
The display is bright, vibrant and crisp at most angles. It begins to lose clarity at about 170 degrees but what person in their right mind wants to watch a video at that angle? Picture quality at 800 x 1200 is excellent. I've watched pre-recorded HD videos from a micro SDHC card (8Gb) and can't find fault. HQ youtube videos stream almost instantly and with no noticeable difference compared to my family desktop pc which boasts 8gb ram and a 1gb graphics HD card. BBC iplayer ran without a problem as did all freeview channels after I downloaded the TVCatchup app. A quick search in settings showed that Flash 11.1 was installed on the device.
One of the first things I did was set up a wireless connection to my home router. It took less than 2 minutes and I was surprised at how many local providers it picked up (11, compared to 3 on my PC). The signal is strong anywhere in my home. So no bad marks there.
Google playstore (UK) is pre-installed and again, within minutes, I had registered and downloaded a couple of apps, one of them being antutu - I wanted to satisfy my curiosity and confirm my suspicions about how good the tablet was. One of the reviews I had read stated that the Antutu benchmark came out at around 8500. I tested and re-tested my zoostorm and it averaged over 11,500. An amazing score for something that only cost me £114 ! A breakdown of the score showed that it was strongest in 3D graphic performance scoring a very laudable 3740 at 800x1232 definition - significantly better than many tablets costing upwards of £250.
At the time of writing I've spent in excess of 4 hours actively playing with my new piece of hardware (using it straight out of the box) and it has been on standby for about 7 hours. Wi-fi has been connected for the whole 13 hours, I've killed no apps and screen brightness has been at about 80% (very bright). I am charging it now using the supplied 3 pin UK charger and shall update this review if I discover any problems with charging or battery life.
Finally; the Amazon product description fails to state that the tablet uses a Mali 400 quad core graphics processor (which together with the 1.5GHz dual core processor probably accounts for it's superb video performance) and that bluetooth is included but I'd like to thank Amazon for a speedy, free delivery. Same day dispatch and only two days delivery time.

A GREAT BUY!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 21 Aug. 2013
Stephen Brennan (South Ockendon, ESSEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this tablet after buying an Acer 7" tablet for my Mother. I wanted a bigger screen to watch the occasional movie but soon found that the branded models were far too pricey for my needs. After looking at reviews of similar priced budget tablets, I chose the Zoostorm because I could not find anything that negative about it.

The tablet comes with a mains lead, usb lead, and a small manual. The operating system is android 4.1 and there is only one app pre-installed which is adobe flash player.
Links on the main screen lead you to googlestore, web browser, camera etc. Connecting to Wi-Fi was a doddle. All the apps I have downloaded have worked flawlessly. The screen is a nice resolution for movie watching and even the sound from the one speaker is far superior to my mothers Acer.

Although early days, I have no regrets on this purchase so far and would gladly buy the same item again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget tablet that outperfoms the price, 10 April 2013
Mark H (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I came to this tablet having previously owned a Sony S tablet bought about 2 years ago. That tablet has served me very well but at the time was a comparatively expensive tablet to purchase. As with any technology as time progresses you get more features for less money as newer and shinier tech comes out. The Zoostorm falls into the latest bracket of affordable tablets that are packed with features at a more affordable price point.

Zoostorm might not be familiar to all but most people who have built a PC or read sites like PC Advisor or PC Format will have heard of them as they have been making home PC systems for quite a few years. They are British-based, from a quick google I see they are up in Warrington. Now that doesn't mean this tablet is built here (it almost certainly isn't!) but it does mean you can get support from this country and Zoostorm have been around for long enough to suggest they have survived for a reason. When they are hundreds of imports available with little or no support I know where I'd rather spend my money :-).

On first impressions I was fairly impressed. Build quality felt good out of the box and there are nice moulded indents on the back of the tablet to make holding it much easier. It is quite slim and at 10" is a very good size for playing games and watching movies. The inputs and buttons are all on the left hand side of the tablet and the speaker is set into the right hand side. The power button is actually quite small in the top right side, and I actually found that you had to hold it in for a few seconds before it powered up. Not a huge issue but did make me worry the first couple of times that it wasn't going to switch on. A minor issue to be honest and I only mention it to save potential purchasers confusion.

In terms of inputs/outputs there are a good range. A mini usb means the majority of input devices you might need are covered and the HDMI output means it can be a erally handy portable media store for plugging into hotel tvs, friends media set ups etc. I also like the fact there is a small dc connector to power it up. Unobtrusive and does a very good job. Standard headphone output is there, as is a small mic for using skype etc. The final major bit is the micro SD slot. This is a real bonus because it means you can expand the storage quite a bit, up to 32gb (or possibly 64gb but that isn't officially supported). Given it also has 16gb onboard that should provide plenty of storage for films, apps, music and other bits and bobs.

Things I found a bit odd but not any sort of issue: The speaker being set over on the left hand side of the tablet makes it a bit wierd when watching a film, but then how often do you watch films on a tablet without listening via headphones? And even then it isn't a big issue. The other litte odd-ment was that it doesn't automatically share files when connected via usb to a PC. The first time you do it you will spot a little message on the screen asking to switch USB storage on. Not a big issue again but if you are not familiar with this you might wonder why you can't automatically see the tablet on your pc. And for those unfamiliar with tablets that have micro SD cards as well, you will see two drives available. One for the internal memory of the tablet and another for the SD card.

The version of Android is Jellybean and it works very nicely on here. The installation is pretty light so the tablet works quickly and response is very fast. It is always a bonus when you get a bit of tech and there aren't a hundred useless apps installed and Zoostorm get a brownie point from me for keeping the tablet clean. Installing apps is painless from the Google Play Store. I installed my favourites of MX player for films and Poweramp for music, but the standard players installed are fine as well.

The screen is very sharp. Watching films on it is a pleasant surprise as I wasn't expecting to get such a good picture. And response is quite good too. Can't really fault anything to be honest.

All in all I found myself waiting for the catch with this tablet but it just didn't come. It really is a bargain at this price. Compared to my Sony Tablet I am very happy to use this one instead and the fact it is much better value means it wins hands down. Solid build, great screen, all the connectivity and expandability you could need from a tablet and from a British company to boot. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars very good tablet, but battery life isn't great, 24 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet, 18 May 2013
Visa - See all my reviews
Excellent display with great colors.
The tablet is very fast, example is watching 1920x1080 movies.
Very good battery, i can play with this Tablet for around 6-7 hours.
I recomend this great tablet to everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars PlayTab 10.1" ZooStorm, 3 Dec. 2013
The Battery went from a charge of 99% to 23% in minutes.. Battery issue on the machine for sure.

Firmware is @ [...] everything will be lost/reset after update. Haven't tested the battery yet with the firmware update yet. It's a very nice Tablet, Screen is great, speaker is great, its fast. Not really fully tested yet, will update.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little tablet except........, 8 Nov. 2013
First the good stuff:-
*The touchscreen is very reponsive requiring the lightest of touches.
*The display is bright, clear and sharp.
*The tablet is fast and easy to use.

However, on the downside:-
Like several other people who have recently bought one of these tablets
I have experienced problems with the battery.
The first tablet I received could never be fully charged no matter how long it was left on charge. Furthermore, the battery lost its charge very quickly, the charge level even going down during the time that the tablet was switched off (and yes, I do mean switched off rather than just in standby mode)

Amazon, kindly replaced this tablet with another Zoostorm Playtab.

This also has a problem with the charging process. However, this time the device does fully charge though it takes a long time (has to be left on charge overnight) and the charge light never goes off.
The battery does not lose charge while switched off, though, and the tablet can be used for a number of hours before needing to be recharged.
Overall, I have decided to live with the shortcomings of the battery as in every other way the tablet
performs really well.
Hence, 4 stars despite the battery problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two months have zoomed by, 21 Jun. 2013
i have left the review for a little while to may sure any feeling of "first days" rose tinted glasses will have faded. This will certainly not out perform the top end boys but in experience people tend to buy something that is not to their needs.Buy a Ferrari and then just drive around the town shopping. If you need something that will check your e-mails, watch a few movies; may be a game or two then this boy will take care of it without grumbling. I even have my Evernote account working without problems and prefer the android to the IOS version. Plays BBC I player well and i must recommend "catch up tv" app which I use an awful lot.Have skyped my niece constantly in Laos with no failures; although I have always found problems with Skype are with Skype itself and not the equipment. My only bug bear is that I cannot get any blue tooth speakers attached to it. Speakers are poor but I always use headphones so no big problems for me. Fast and responsive with only the occasional hang up.Screen is very clear and sharpish, not the best I have seen but unless you put it against something better you will not notice. Just enjoy it. For £119.00 we cannot complain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Zoostorm 3305-1030 Tablet, 25 Feb. 2013
Matt (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
EDIT: 1/6/14 I have knocked it down from four stars to three because of a fault it has developed with the charger socket. A few months after I received the tablet, I started to have a problem with the tablet not charging. I contacted Zoostorm who said that if they couldn't find a fault I would have to pay £64 for the trouble of sending it to them. I didn't want to risk it so decided to leave it to see if it got worse. It did but now the tablet is out of its warranty period. I can still charge it but only just; I have to make sure the cable is in just the right position but it's a real ball-ache. As I have seen other reviews detailing the same problem, it loses the star. Apart from this, it's still a very good tablet, although probably a bit outdated now.

***********

This is my first proper experience with a tablet, apart from briefly tinkering with my wife's Kindle (boy, does THAT sound like a euphemism!)

The first thing I noticed about the tablet was its size. I knew it was going to be bigger than the Kindle (HD Fire) as the screen is three inches bigger bit it still took me a bit by surprise. Holding the tablet landscape, it seems very wide, like a super-widescreen. I would be happy for it to be smaller but this is just a personal preference. I do not, however, consider the tablet to be easily portable and will almost certainly never take it out of the house. Without a case I imagine it would be very easy to scratch/damage if it was just rattling around in a bag.

Using the tablet is very easy and even with my limited experience of similar devices, I had this up and running in no time. Out of the box it is fully charged and as long as you know your wireless connection details, very easy to begin surfing the internet and downloading apps from the Google Play Store (This seems to be the default).

The second thing I noticed about it was that I could actually use it. I have always hated touch screen technology as I just can't get it to work. I gave up on modern mobile phones in 2011 and returned to my Nokia 3330 because it's the only phone I've ever been able to text on. The touch screen on this tablet however does seem to be very responsive and accurate. I have been tinkering with it all day and am yet to make a mistake.

E-mail was also very easy to set up. All I needed to do was input my e-mail address and password and the device synced with my Yahoo web-mail and downloaded all my messages (copies of them all still remaining on my online account to view). I can even send messages from the tablet which may sound obvious but it's more than I've ever been able to do with the same e-mail address through Microsoft Outlook.

I'm no technophile but I don't know if I'd say the quality of the screen is true HD. Having attempted to view a few test video files on YouTube (would this be detrimental to the quality?) they were good but obscured black backgrounds looked distorted/pixelated. It didn't really detract from the viewing quality overall but it was noticeable.

The sound quality is about as good as you can expect from such a device. At the end of the day, it's less than one centimetre thick so the speakers will never be great but for a portable device it's fine. Of course, there is a mini-jack out so you can use headphones.

Talking about the inputs/outputs, there is also a mini (medium size) HDMI output, micro (the smallest) USB input, and the tablet also has a micro-SD card slot. Connecting the device to a computer is not as straight forward as you may think, although it's still not that bad. You still connect it with the USB cable but then you need to go via the device's settings page to turn on USB storage. Once connected however, transferring files is simple. For a test, I copied a video filme (.MP4) into the Movie folder and then was able to immediately play it on the tablet (not so easy on the Kindle).

The tablet also includes eReader software and there are even three books included: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. You can download more books via the Play Store but I have chosen to download the Kindle app as I already had some Kindle books on my account and I was able to sync them to the tablet.

There are a few negative points to the tablet too. A little more time could have been taken when thinking about the user options and what can be changed. There is a clock by default on the main screen but it is an analogue clock with no numbers and there are no options to change the appearance of the clock. However, there is also a small digital clock in the bottom right corner so the analogue clock is somewhat redundant anyway.

Another bugbear is the brightness control. There is no really easy way to adjust the brightness, you basically have to click on the clock on the bottom right corner, then the settings icon and then you can adjust the brightness slider. Not difficult but a bit long winded.

The main issue I have with this device is the camera (and this is the reason the tablet gets four stars instead of five). They might as well have not included it. The maximum resolution is 2MP which was great about nine years ago but seriously, if a phone 1/8 the size of this device can have an 8MP or higher camera, why not make this one just a little better? Unless the subject is motionless and perfectly lit (ideally, outside) then I just wouldn't bother. There is a forward facing camera as well for use with apps such as Skype and the quality of this isn't that great either but I don't think that's such an issue.

Overall I think this is probably a very good tablet for the money. Amazon's current asking price (at the time of writing) seems pretty good for a tablet of this quality although, as I've already said, I have very little experience with any other tablet. Personally I'm very happy with it apart from the camera but then again, I have a proper DSLR camera and would never use any portable device for taking photos.

I know this tablet is a lot cheaper than an iPad and I can't imagine what more an iPad can do but then again, this tablet doesn't have the Apple logo on it so that's probably one good reason for the price difference! If you're on a budget I imagine you could do a lot worse than this tablet, even if the manufacturer (Zoostorm) is relatively unheard of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little tablet excellent value., 12 Nov. 2013
Had this a week now and to start I did have a few battery issues (not fully charging, losing power very quickly, power level going up and down randomly?) I stuck with it and charged it at length a few times and this appears to have solved the issue. Battery life is now as stated and can watch a film and browse for several hours and still have quite a bit of power left.

The tablet is really very quick I benchmarked it against my sons galaxy tab 2 and it beats it hands down. Around 15000 on the playtab and 9500 on the samsung.

Screen is very responsive, making hardly any mistakes while typing this. The tablet has benefited from upgrading the keyboard on the play store and changing the browser to opera also from play store.

The only real downsides I can find to this tablet are the sound which is very quiet but have bought a Bluetooth speaker which I hope will improve things for movie watching and you can't get sky go on it but that's a sky issue rather than the tablets.

In addition, if you are lucky enough to have a 4G phone with data connection sharing, the tablet can use this connection via WiFi so you can have iPlayer/YouTube/browsing on the move. All in all a great tablet bar the sound being a little quiet.