FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is a very glossy, pretty sleek-looking blu-ray player. It's quite small (aprx 36cm x 19cm and 4cm in height) and it's lightweight. You get a remote control included and there are a few handy buttons on the actual unit (on/off, open/close, play and stop)

MY EXPERIENCE
It's very easy to set up and start using (bearing in mind the notes coming up) I connected the player via an ethernet cable, which was fine for me as my router lives in the same room (ethernet won't be as practical obviously if the router's in a different room or on another floor!)

It's got quick startup when you switch it on and the playback quality for both blu-ray and DVD, is excellent. It also plays audio CD's just fine. It's not really noisy either (I always worry about noise with blu-ray/dvd players because it's so distracting)

You can access Netflix, Lovefilm, iPlayer, Demand5 and YouTube and there's Sony's Entertainment Network (which I don't use) for other apps. There is an actual browser included so you can access the internet but I don't like to use it as it's pretty basic; not all pages appear correctly and it takes ages to type things in on the remote.

A FEW NOTES
- You'll need a HDMI cable to connect to your TV: as is usually the case with a lot of players these days, the cable is NOT included in the box.

- It is capable of wireless connectivity but you will need to buy the wifi adapter (the manual says it's a a USB Wireless LAN Adapter UWA-BR100 although you could also opt for a cheaper non-Sony brand)

- It isn't multi-region straight out of the box and you need to buy a special remote to make it able to play multi-region DVDs (same as my previous Sony blu-ray player)

- The power cable is quite short (around 117cm long) and I needed to use a socket extension as the cable was just short of the wall socket.

- The top of the unit is not flat; it's got a subtle, pyramid-type effect to it so it's not really suitable if you wanted to put something on top.

SUMMARY
This is a good all-round blu-ray player with quality playback. It's easy to use and would suit most people quite well. Possibly a little pricey compared to other similar products on the market nowadays but I guess you're paying for the Sony brand, as much as anything else. I use it mostly for watching blu-ray, DVDs and Netflix - not had any problems so I'd definitely recommend it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 December 2013
I'm extremely happy with this purchse, which was a gift.
It's a great 3d bluray player, and great netflix/lovefilm streamer..

I had some DTS audio issues initially, but after replacing my hdmi cable with a more high-end cable this was resolved.

My only issue with this is the Sony User Interface, the nested vertical menu system is overcomplicated for what it need to be. As this was bought purely to be a 3d bluray player and netflix device for non-technical types, this is a little overcomplicated and requires more instruction and practice than should be necessary.
The interface is effectively a clone of the PS3 XMB menu interface.
on 13 January 2014
First off, I was surprised at how tiny this unit is. But it's lack of physical presence apart, this machine does so much and does it so well.
All I wanted was a Blu-ray player to show my home made films, but I have a device that is WiFi and is connected to my home network.
Straight from the box, it finds and connects to the network and allows access to the internet for downloading films, music and even youtube. Another surprise is it's ability to connect and share stuff like photos stored on other computers on the network. USB input is also available.
A really good piece of kit for the money. Highly recommended.
on 5 January 2014
i cant believe this is so cheap on amazon, its the best blue ray dvd player in a million miles, who needs a smart tv when u can do almost anything on this, control it from your phone and also pair it with your phone to watch youtube and also use facebook from phone to tv screen and u can also download stuff like sony tv sideview on your phone along with skifta to control the blueray player and watch your face apps and programmes and transfer movies, photo's and music from phone to the dvd player

i give it 100/100 :D

its amazing, the technology is fantastic.
on 20 October 2013
I started looking for a Blu-ray player after getting rid of my PS3. I spent a long time looking around and having always had good experiences from SONY, I started looking at this one. I was swayed by the fact it was Wi-Fi ready as this enabled us to view BBC iPlayer and similar channels.
It was very easy to set up and connect to our Wi-FI. Some reviews have been critical of this and mentioned issues connecting. We have Sky broadband in our house and it hooked up straightaway. Some people mentioned the software update that installs when you first turn it on and I admit it is slow but when have you ever been installing a blu-ray player in an emergency!! It takes about 20mins which is a slight issue but once it is done then you can forget about it. When I first started it up, the picture kept flashing off and on which was annoying but this was an issue with the TV compatibility and was easily resolved by changing the screen settings on the blu-ray player. Problem solved in a few clicks.
I have read that it is noisy which I don't agree with. It does buzz a little bit when it changes between chapters on the disc but this is not an issue and you wouldn't notice it unless you were listening for it.
The upscaling of normal DVD's is excellent and the picture and colour are noticeably better. I was impressed with this. It also syncs up to your mobile which is handy for watching photos or images you have stored on your mobile device. This was all done via the Wi-Fi and didn't need it to be plugged in. Another nice feature.
The unit itself looks good and is very small when you think of what it can do and for the cost it is excellent. I am really pleased with it and I think it is great. My only criticism is the remote, it is quite cheap looking when you see it next to the unit but I won't lose any sleep over it. Overall I would highly recommend this player to anyone looking for a blu-ray player that is Wi-fi ready.
Style Name: Without Wi-FiVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using an older Blu-ray player in my front room for a while but I could only use it for watching DVDs or Blu-rays, it didn't have any extra features, but this Sony player has now taken it's place in the front room.

This Sony player is definitely a cut above the rest for the price. From what I can tell the up scaling on DVDs is of a high standard and I have no complaints about the Blu-ray playback at all, everything I have watched on it has looked fantastic.

For once I haven't had any issues with playback of videos from a USB stick. I have found that devices list they can play certain formats but I usually still have issues, this player worked first time with no problems.

It is great to have so many extra on-demand applications available on the player as well with the majority of the major players included in there including Netflix, Lovefilm, iPlayer and Demand 5. So far I have used Netflix and iPlayer and both have worked easily, were fast and played back video in HD.

There is also the ability to use a browser to view sites online. I tried this but found it a little hard to use, but most homes will have multiple devices at hand for browsing the Internet so I didn't think this was really a downfall, just a nice to have.

I would highly recommend this player to anybody! Just remember that this doesn't come with a HDMI cable so you will need to purchase it separately. If you want to connect through wifi then you will need to buy a dongle (I was able to connect over Ethernet so can't comment on how it performs over wifi).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 18 June 2013
Style Name: With Wi-FiVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The BDPS3100 is a compact little player with built-in WiFi, apps and even connectivity to smartphones (which is a very nifty feature). And oh yes, it plays Blu-Rays and DVDs too.

Setting up the player is very straightforward, as is connecting it to your home network. Once up and running, you have access to BBC iPlayer, 5 On Demand and others. You can also subscribe to LoveFilm or NetFlix.

Picture quality of content is pretty good, DVDs look fine and Blu-Rays look as fantastic as ever. Overall the image (and sound) quality is good, but then I would expect that of any BD player nowadays.

As I mentioned previously, as well as connecting to the internet for plenty of content, you can also hook the player up to your smartphone. I've tried this with my Samsung Galaxy II and although it's a bit gimmicky and possibly doesn't have an awful lot of long term use, it works well and allows you to control different features and carry out extra functions as you're watching a movie or whatever.

Bearing in mind the brand and the price point, this is a Blu-Ray player well worth considering if you're in the market for one. There is quite a bit of functionality squeezed into its slight frame, and this is especially attractive if you don't have a smart TV and like the idea of using apps, etc. It's a good package overall.
Style Name: Without Wi-FiVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a futuristic looking design for a player. The quality of the picture on blu ray is astounding when you get the right coded films. Easy to set up, I can even set it so that when I switch it on it will automatically change to the HDMI channel, and when turned off, switch back again - just like the good old SCART days!

Boot up time is fairly quick, quicker than my last player and quicker than my DVD HD Recorder. You have an HDMI out, Optical Out and Network socket. The remote comes with batteries, but there is no HDMI lead. I am very pleased with the machine but there are some points to consider that stops it being the ultimate purchase.

The shape of the player means that I can not stack other machines on top, not to bad as I have a wide 2 shelf system and made room, but it does look strange compared to the other units I have.
The disc drawer front seems very loose and flimsy, and feels if I catch it wrong, it will break off.
There is no wi-fi. You get wi-fi built in with the model down and on other manufacturers models, but not this. You have to purchase a Sony dongle at a ridiculous price. This is insane and why they have done this I do not know.

If you can live with the slight downers, then you have a good little machine, but feel that with just a little more thought, it could have been a stunning machine.
on 10 November 2013
You usually cant be disappointed if you default to a SONY product and this is no exception - yes I have replaced a SONY DVD player that was ten years old but there you are (this stuff tends to last) - obvious changes due to modern day production optimisation, value engineering and general robustness - but what do you expect in this modern throw away world ?

Picture quality is very - very good - now need a new telly and a sound bar though -------- dammn
on 1 January 2014
Great value for money, lovely design, and it simply does the job pretty well. Googling around the line, I found out that the best 3D Blue ray player would cost me more than 500£. For an average family it just seems to much. This Sony player just just the job and at a great price and, off course, the Amazon delivery service is really awesome, I live out side the UK and the packages always arrive with in one or two weeks, tops, well taken care off.