Format: Electronics|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This blu-ray player is as basic as you can get with the addition of some internet features.

I really like the shape of this unit, it's definitely the stylish one I've owned personally, and another positive is the fact it's very lightweight.

The ports aren't as varied as some others, for example there is no optical output which I would have preferred to have, even if it meant swapping for the coaxial, but I'm sure others may disagree with me.

The main menu interface is simple, you go to a certain tab and go down for more features, just like the PS3's interface.

When it comes to connecting this unit to the internet, you will need to do so via an Ethernet cable, this may be an issue for some people, however I would recommend a powerline adapter which allows you to bring the internet connection directly to this player.

I don't think this product should be judged because it doesn't have a wireless option, after all it's not advertised as a wireless blu-ray player.

With this unit connected to the internet, you can access a lot of video services, some of which I haven't heard of, but the main thing is it has the ones I watch regularly such as BBC's iPlayer & YouTube.

I was really pleased with the YouTube feature, this allows you to search and watch any videos available in great quality, though the experience will vary depending on your internet connection. One problem I did have with it was when skipping through the YouTube tabs, there was a bit of a delay, but this could be down to my internet connection.

As for the picture and sound quality, it's just as good as my old blu-ray player and PS3, no issues with it at all.

Overall it's a very decent blu-ray player available for a good price, sure it lacks some features but that's why the price is low compared to other models, after all you get what you pay for.
on 11 November 2014
My first blu-ray player. No real complaints (at first). Loading times are decent, image quality good, easily accessible iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video.

After 7 months it decided it wouldn't read DVDs or CDs anymore, even though Blu-Rays were still fine. I have no idea why. Made an ominous sound when you put the disc in, as if to say "i'm not having this", and then nothing. Couldn't find anyone with a similar problem online, so phoned up Tesco whom I had bought it from, and they gave me a no-quibbles refund.

Have now bought a 5200 (Wi-Fi and 3D, which I didn't really need but hey ho) from John Lewis, as they offer a 2 year guarantee and I'm not taking any chances.

I'm not going to rate the product too low as it was fine while it lasted, but obviously if anything goes wrong with my new one I will think twice about getting a Sony next time.

Other minor points:

-Lightweight build quality
-Turns itself off and on again when mains power is initially turned on. Same with the 5200. Slightly annoying as I like to turn my mains off at night, but no biggie.
-No C4 or ITV catch-up, if that's your bag (I missed not being able to watch Fargo but that's about it)
on 2 April 2014
Bought this about 7 months ago. The Blue Ray is fine (but no better than a DVD IMO). But the internet TV functionality sucks almost as much as Sony support. In the seven months we have had two weeks where it just didn't work, another week when the security certificate expired meaning about 30% of channels (including iPlayer and Lovefilm) didn't work, and today it suddenly thinks I am in the US. I have tried emailing sony support and, being a technophile, including all possible information (Model, Software version, IP, location, that it is wired connection, etc) and I get back an email asking me to provide the same information again. After about a week they finally say they can't solve the problem and I should phone customer support (at a pound a minute).

I will NEVER buy another SONY product again while I am in the UK. The support may be better in the US/Japan, but in the UK they are the pits. Aside from Blue Ray, I will also minimise any thing that has to pay IPR royalties to this sham of a company. If I ran software like this, I would be out of a job. Please SONY, pull your finger out if you want to be a service company or stop trying to supply internet TV.
on 6 September 2013
THIS HAS ALL THE ONLINE STREAMING APPS YOU COULD NEED AND ALL IN A CONVENIENT MENU SYSTEM JUST LIKE THE ONE ON PS3. ITS A SHAME IT DOESNT HAVE WIFI BUT IM OKAY WITH CONNECTING UP VIA AN ETHERNET CABLE. SETUP TOOK ABOUT 5 MINS AND WAS VERY EASY WITH ONSCREEN INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO LINK YOUR NETFLIX, LOVEFILM AND YOUTUBE ACCOUNT ETC AND THE USB IS ON THE FRONT TO PLUG IN A HARD DRIVE ETC.
on 1 March 2013
I ordered this because I was interested in the Sony BDPS185B.CEK, but Amazon's listing for it stated that the present unit, BDPS1100, is a "newer model" of the BDPS185B.
However unlike the older (?) unit, this model has NO audio outputs. That's ok of course if you only use the unit via HDMI, never with a separate audio component, but...
A rather stupid corner-cutting. I give it four stars since I trust it works well otherwise.
A note for buyers: the unit at first refused to play an "All Regions" Bu-Ray disc, saying I don't have permission. Having it reset to factory defaults (even though I had set nothing) fixed that, strangely.
66 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2013
I've had loads of standard DVD players but this is my first Blu-Ray player which initially seems very good for the price. The menus are crisp, clear, very easy to use, have an array of good features and are smooth and the remote is nice and responsive too. I made sure I bought the region-free version of this player which up-scales standard DVDs to a high standard, it's worth noting however that the region-free version of this player will NOT play foreign Blu-Ray discs (something I wasn't aware of before choosing a Blu-Ray player) these players cost more money as they have to be modified which is apparently a costly process hence the price tag. Looking back I wish I had held out to but one of these 'true' region-free players as they will no doubt come down in price rapidly once they become popular but this will do until then. One nice feature about this particular Blu-Ray I found was how quick it accesses and plays DVDs when you insert them into the player, there is a 'fast access' option you can set to do this in the menus. Overall very impressed with this player but time will tell if it actually withstands the test of time and isn't yet another throw together as cheap as possible product that gives up the ghost long before it should. I can recommend it to people who want a Blu-Ray player that performs well and has some nice features. One thing to note however is that it's not the quietest player I've had, louder than average whirring noises occur when accessing root menus and loading of DVDs but it's not all that distracting or annoying. I would give this 7 out of 10.
on 2 July 2013
Undoubtedly a cut down model in terms of hardware, but lots of functionality for the money. You get streaming movie services like Lovefilm Instant, catch-up TV services like iPlayer, YouTube and some other stuff which is less useful (most of the "apps" seem particularly pointless). The user interfaces of the various services are functional rather than fancy (Lovefilm is much easier to navigate on PS3 for example).

There is a single USB socket at the front, allowing you to view photos and videos from a flash drive or even a portable hard drive. Unfortunately, there seems to be no DLNA support for streaming media from a computer or NAS.

As for missing features. I always wish these boxes had full featured web browsers so you could watch Sky Go and foreign TV but I guess politics will prevent that ever happening. As I store all my photos in Google+, and all my tunes in Google Play Music, apps to stream from these would be a useful addition.
on 20 November 2013
the Sony smart Blu-ray player is great as long you have a telephone connection you can get u-tube, the film apps like lovefilm if you have a subscription with them and Netflix and it is good playing the blu ray discs picture is great good buy for the money.
on 2 March 2014
The player worked fine the first few times we used it, then started developing little problems at first such as no longer allowing access to the files on the usb stick that had previously worked fine. I can now no longer stream anything online from BBC and LoveFilm as the video just sows up as pink and green digital interference, dvd's play for about 30 minutes and then decide to either start skipping 30 second chunks of the movie or just giving up altogether and crashing the player.

Not sure if we were just unlucky and got a bad apple but it's now unusable after only a month and will be going back to Sony... If everything worked then this would be a great product for the price but unfortunately it's fallen way below the usual Sony standard I would expect.
on 10 March 2013
Very user friendly, well designed blu ray player. Fast to boot up and navigate around. Network features are great, no wifi but in my experience its rarely fast enough to support such features. Has co axial audio output. Like it a lot!