4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality mirror
Published 19 months ago by P. Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Mirror mirror on the wall is the best mirror of them all...?
Published 4 months ago by Angry Honey Badger

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality mirror, 5 Oct. 2013
P. Hill "milleniumaire" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: simplehuman Sensor Mirror, 5x Magnification, Tru-Lux Light System - 20 cm (Kitchen & Home)
This is a great mirror. The build quality is excellent and the sensor light works brilliantly. It is also extendible, but the reason I have only given it 4 out of 5 stars is because it doesn't extend very much and consequently it has to be placed on a Pandora box to give it extra height. It's a very expensive mirror, standing on a box! The manufacturers could have designed the ability to extend much more than it does.

My wife uses the mirror on her bedroom dressing table and prefers to look into it without having to tilt her head down (she complains it shows all the wrinkles in her neck!), so it really depends how you use it as to whether the extension is enough for you. It extends from 38 cm to a maximum of 45.5 cm, an increase of 7.5 cm. However, the stand is 16.5 cm long, so plenty of room to allow for longer extension.

This is the first Simplehuman product I have purchased, but I will definitely look at their range and consider other items in the future. They aren't cheap, some would say over-priced, but you do get a quality product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling quality, 20 Nov. 2014
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With a premium, sleek build, this mirror oozes quality as soon as you take it out of the box. With the futuristic proximity sensor to switch the LED illumination on, it's a pretty nifty addition to the bathroom.

The mirror surface is actually quite large, which doesn't strike you in the product pics. The level of magnification, combined with the bright illumination, can also be quite alarming at first, too, as it really does show up every blemish! All the better for targeting them, undoubtedly, but still, be prepared for an 'illuminating' experience! As one of the family said, it's almost like those ads where they show sun damage on the skin with a special camera...

The only technical downside we found is that the supporting arm is not as extendible as we'd have liked - a double-jointed arm might have been better, although the current design is very compact and friendly to smaller bathroom spaces.

Overall, an absolutely quality item for the bathroom / bedroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good item, albeit not cheap., 31 Dec. 2014
I suspect the reviews here relate to all three versions...wall mounted and the two freestanding models.

This review pertains mainly to my own FIVE times magnification sensor Mirror (freestanding)...not the TEN times magnification, smaller, one, however before commenting on my own mirror, I would refer to the question of charging the wall mounted version in the event of it's being sited in a bathroom. It has NO quick release fittings to allow you to unclip it and take it to another room to charge it...it needs unscrewing from the wall to remove it and that's not a good idea on a regular basis. Simplehuman Customer Service told me yesterday that you have to use an extension lead from another room and take that in to the bathroom to charge the mirror. What a ridiculous state of affairs that would be...and hazardous too....taking a mains extension lead in to a bathroom is not, generally, a good idea. They don't allow socket outlets to be installed in a bathroom for a reason so taking a live, loose, extension lead in there would be ill advised if young or vulnerable people had access to the area.

The freestanding mirrors are, of course, different - you simply pick the thing up and take it to another room and charge it there. I have the larger freestanding model (with 5 times magnification) and it's excellent. I can now see to shave in a decent light. It functions perfectly well and is soundly constructed and it would be recommended if it wasn't for the price. I paid thirty four pounds less than the recommended retail of £150 and I still think it was expensive. I just hope Simplehuman will stand by the warranty (five years) in the event it goes wrong...if not I'm not gonna be a happy bunny.

I regard the (5x) magnification to be set at a usable level and the light sensor functions sensibly...it doesn't dazzle you unduly and it's bright enough and magnified enough to shave by at night with your face at a sensible distance. I use spectacles and the five times degree of magnification is of superb assistance to me whilst NOT wearing the specs.

As for all the stuff about seeing parts of your face that you've never seen before....well take that as you will...I simply regard the item to be a valuable aid to, in my own case, shaving (and presumably putting makeup on or squeezing your spots if that's what you want) and is a good buy ( but preferably at a cheaper price).

3.0 out of 5 stars Mirror mirror on the wall is the best mirror of them all...?, 21 Dec. 2014
I have mused over this mirror for some weeks now and at first I was really happy with it but the shine has worn a little since I've been using it every day. It's very well made as you would expect with a SH product as the other reviewers have detailed. The fact that it's chargeable and doesn't have a cord or need batteries is a real pro. I was fed up of trying to peer in 3 different mirrors in different lighting simply trying to check if I had applied my make up correctly and looked ok. The sensor does turn on/off very quickly as soon as you move away but does this even if you turn/move your head so can be irritating as the light is very strong and hurts your eyes as it pops back on. I would have preferred a simple on/off switch. My other gripe is the 5x magnification. I don't mind seeing my face in full cinema-size HD now and again (quite a shock the first time!) but it does mean that it can actually be quite hard to get an overall look of your face as the light switches off if you do move out of sensor range trying to do this. I don't actually just want to just see my big eye!

So to summarize, I have toyed with sending it back as something this relatively expensive I think you need to be really happy with - which I'm not. I have hunted around trying to find a replacement but others don't seem to have as good a light as this one or I have to use corded version with an extension lead - so for now I'm reluctantly sticking with it.

If SH had a version which was cordless, with a normal mirror on one side and 5x magnification on the other and a simple on/off light switch - then I would be happy to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every blemish you didn't know you had, 25 Nov. 2014
Beki "beki166" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My eyesight is abysmal without my glasses, but with this I can do my eyebrows easily. It is easy to fit and with the adjusters being both tilt and telescopic you can position it perfectly to see everything. The light is BRIGHT and the mirror surface itself magnifies without distortion and without being fogged by your breath when standing at the right distance to see clearly. Once wall mounted - as it was designed to be - it is totally stable in use.

You do have to charge it for the light to work, and this could be a pain unless you take the need to charge into consideration. The motion sensor is very sensitive too. Nightmares of my face in all its naked horror at four in the morning on a trip to the loo in the dark will take a while to fade. It can be switched off and actually the mirror is perfectly usable without the light. A visiting friend prefers it without the light for shaving purposes and declares it one of the better shaving mirrors he's used. Mainly because of the ability to position it.

The only downside is that you can see every last blemish, open pore and wrinkle in unforgiving extreme close-up. Expect to spend money expanding your make-up arsenal fully in order to correct flaws you didn't know you had. At least with this you'll know that your make-up is daylight perfect before you walk out of the door.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Versatile Mirror, 18 Dec. 2014
North of England Way (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Straight out of the box it is very easy to see why this mirror commands such a hefty price tag, it is stunning, beautifully constructed - from the slick aluminium body to the carry case.
The mirror comes equipped with LED lights for those dark winter nights and late summer parties, and equipped with a proximity sensor it cleverly activates when your face comes within a certain distance of the mirror. The level of light takes a bit of getting used to at first, but the design is so superb it does exactly what it is meant to do with the perfect level of light.
This mirror has a high level of magnification; ideal for make-up application such as mascara and eye-liner, but is also perfect for applying products such as fake-tan or even closer hair styling. However, at 10 times magnification it can be very unforgiving! (not a bad thing - as at least you won't end up going out with any make-up lines!)
This is perfect for any well styled male or female, either as a gift, or for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Quality, 17 Nov. 2014
Biff - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This item oozes quality - it really is very well made and feels like a luxury bathroom item.

Its sensor works very well and lights up whenever anyone gets close to it.

Its extendable, rotatable and the arm can swing left and right.

You will need a nearby electrical socket to charge it up or you will have to remove it to take to another room to charge it. Wall fittings are included.

The mirror is very good quality but the 5x magnification does limit its uses. You have to be really close to the mirror for things to be in focus. I would stuggle for example to use this as a shaving mirror. For eye makeup it would be great.

The instructions are a little too brief for my liking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Designed Luxury Mirror, 14 Nov. 2014
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This price level seems quite high for a dressing table mirror, so I was intrigued to find out just what it had to offer and if it justified the price tag. This is a very nicely presented, well designed quality product. It comes in a good, rigid carrying case with a zip fastener which is intended to fully protect the mirror whilst you are travelling.

The mirror itself is about a foot or 30cm in height and the actual mirror part including the illuminated ring has a diameter of about six inches. In other words it is large enough to do the job without being unnecessarily bulky for travelling. It is charged via a micro USB cable (supplied), which you can charge using either a USB plug or through a computer. It arrived charged and, according to the instructions, a charge lasts five weeks - I wish my iPhone did the same! The finish is a very smart brushed steel look which will not look out of place in even the most contemporary of homes.

In operation the light around the mirror illuminates using a sensor as you approach and, similarly, turns itself off when not in use. The ten time magnification shows up every minute detail, and, dare I say it flaw in your complexion. I have to say that my 25 year old daughter found it a much more satisfying experience than I did! However, this makes it superb as an aid in applying makeup evenly and checking everything is in order.

This is unashamedly a luxury item and not everyone is going to want to pay out this sort of amount for what they may consider a basic item. However, it is well thought out with no obvious flaws, and if it is within your budget you will not be disappointed. Also a nice gift if you are struggling to find something a little different.

5.0 out of 5 stars strong and clear image, 13 Nov. 2014
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a quite amazing mirror.

Prior to this arriving if I needed to do any close up work I would have to get my dad’s old shaving mirror out, plug it in and try to work with the patchy bits of silvering that are left (the mirror is about 50 years old and had been his dad’s before him).

I opened this up with great trepidation; the postman had thrown it through a high window onto a stone floor 8 foot below. I opened the box and shook the black case inside … it didn’t rattle. So I opened the case and removed the, amazingly whole, mirror and attached stand.

After a few moments I opened it up, base first and then the mirror, and pressed the on button at the back, the light came on and I turned it round and shock horror! The close up of what I thought were clean and clear pores … *shudder* … and that is the problem with the mirror – it is unforgiving. It will show you exactly what’s there, whether you like it or not.

The mirror is excellent for the close work that you may need to do, such as eye make-up, that fine edging eyeliner, or any painful plucking that you feel necessary (and that most men will never notice), etc.

I am very impressed with this mirror it will be of great help to me when preparing for a special night out, or just for when I feel like you need a little tidying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mirror, 10 Oct. 2014
This is a very well-made product. Bright, evenly-distributed illumination and an optically perfect mirror. Good battery life between charges.
Having a hot shower in a small bathroom I received a bit of a surprise when the mirror lit up spontaneously- presumably due to condensation on the sensor! In future I shall turn it off with the small push-button switch on the base.
Much more convenient than a mains-powered unit.