Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.20

on 8 August 2011
A riveting read, Brendan Martin's descriptive writing captures the imagination so much so I could hear the sound of weapons being made ready as he builds up the tension prior to an ambush or section attack.
intelligently and eloquently written Martin develops sub plots and keeps the reader's attention throughout, he forthrightly reveals the horror of conflict but in the context of fighting against injustice, crime and international corruption. Rather than glorify violence he reveals the often brutal but necessary reaction against it, to maintain a semblance of humanity. the mental anguish and effect on the ordinary soldier are frankly revealed, which should not be forgotten. Hero is a much maligned word these days yet those who deserve the accolade are often the ones who are forgotten behind the headlines, whose deeds are performed in the grip of fear isolation and hopeless odds.you will meet these men among men within its pages.
Having completed the book I feel I was there, and would not have missed it, and nor should you, get a copy today
on 24 April 2014
Cracking read. No holds barred, funny, witty and always moving. Where would we be without the 'Tom'?
I left 3 Para many years ago before these lads were born, yet I could identify with their humour, tenacity and comradeship. I pictured myself sharing a brew with my mates. Well written.
on 16 September 2011
Well, what can i say?

I bought this book as a favour to a friend but they have now gone to the top of my friends list.

Even from the beginning you knew little Jimmy was going to be a tough nut but until you read to the last page you just didnt know how much so. The author had not only grabbed my attention but almost deprived me of sleep from not wanting to put it down, with the graphic descriptions of the settings and also the main characters it ticks all boxes for a military book and then some.

The only question i have is just how much will it take for a further helping of pen-menship to arrive?
on 18 October 2012
I was unconvinced by this book, which had otherwise quite favourable reviews. It is made deliberately unclear by the author whether it is autobiography and the main character is a version of himself.
It shifts between Northern Ireland, in a unspecified period in the 70s-80s and and an equally vague bush war in Southern Africa - either Rhodesia against ZANU/ZAPU or South Africa against SWAPO. Real characters from that conflict like Chris Schollenburg are dropped into the narrative.
The dialogue and military descriptions are stilted and I suspect that they are culled from second-hand sources at best. It reads as if the author has avidly read about Para/SAS deployment, and mercenary employment abroad, and cobbled a fantasy together. Some gratuitous sexual sadism thrown in too.
There are far better books in this genre - I recommend 'Contact' by A.F.N. Clarke, if you can find it or anything written by Iraq or Afghanistan veterans.
on 25 February 2014
Here is a book written in words of actions told and story's hidden. Has a soldier myself in the early 80s I came across a few soldiers with there tans and mysterious long spells away from battalion followed by a week or 2 under close arrest. Then on to carry on where they left off. This man writes with honestly and feelings of things he's witnessed and actions told by others. The reader will be well awarded and a smile at hand and for some a knowing nod
on 7 November 2015
Not normally a reader of military and war type books I was handed this by a friend who poked fun at me about the name, thing is it was a bloody good read. Due to the industry I work in we have a captive audience so passed it round, most of the lads here are ex squaddies from various arms and corps, some multi nationals as well and a good few lads from the dark continent itself, well all's I can say it turned out to be the most popular book on project and that's saying something with the wealth of experience of those who read it. An absolute cracker of a book with some weight behind the T-shirt...... hope there will be more from this author.
As for those few haters ................................... never mind fellas, never mind!
on 27 November 2012
This book is a must read for it's genre, It grabs you from the start and doesn't let you go. The writer effortlessly takes hold of the reader and off you go on patrol with him. The journey through Ireland to Africa is exquisite. With a graphic insight into soldiering, he has effortlessly turned the story into a thriller. I couldn't put it down and towards the end of the book, I had too! As I didn't want it to end. I really look forward to Brendan's next exciting instalment.
on 5 May 2011
I really enjoyed this book and read the last 100 pages in one visit as I could not put it down, my 13 year old has also read & enjoyed it and we are both looking forward to a follow up mission??
on 27 December 2009
i would reccomend this book to anyone a very good read from a man i have a lot of respect for
he is a man i have i have known for several years, dw shropshire
on 22 February 2013
I found The Way to Valhalla to be both exhilarating and an exciting read; once I picked it up I couldn't put it down, it had me riveted to my chair straight from the very beginning to the last page. It is a must read not only for serious military readers but for the civilian population alike.

The writer Brenan Martin drew upon his wealth of experience and portrayed all the characters in a realistic and dynamitic way. All I can say is, well done and thank you for a most pleasurable and interesting read and I wait in anticipation for his next book release.