Published 3 months ago by Alex

Published 6 months ago by Adam

2.0 out of 5 stars Sher's work is very interesting and inspirational for some, but not my cup of tea, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Thinking Through Refuse to Choose: 101 things every Scanner should know (Kindle Edition)
When I discovered the Sher coined term 'scanner' I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders, for I had always been a jack of all trades, scattering my energies and being able to do an unremarkable little of everything. It was comforting to be told that I was a renaissance man, and to not envy people who specialise, that they are locked in their courses while I had the freedom to be do whatever I set my mind to.

The book(s - as this title is supported by Sher's other work and I wouldn't recommend reading without those) is/are full of little comments that will reassure and comfort people who identify as scanners - but it did feel a little bit thin on actual information and strategies for properly committing to something, and I felt that the reader was given some unrealistic expectations of how many projects the could *fruitfully* undertake at one time. Hobbies you do once in a blue moon is one thing, but things like learning a new language or transitioning into a different work sector are quite demanding, not the kind of thing you would want to juggle. And never being able to feel the passion and fulfilment of working on a life long pursuit also makes one feel quite hollow.

Half my woes from being a scanner come from the burden of choice - there's so much I *could* do I am paralysed by indecision. I know the book is called 'Refuse to Choose' but it would have been nice to have seen more ways to deal with the paradox of choice. I felt like the book made too many excuses for me too. Not following a project through to completion shouldn't be met so merrily! While it's true, as a scanner I find some hobbies lose their appeal after 200 hour mark and I feel guilty wanting to take up something else, the comments in this book were reassuring, but I think the assumptions and allowances made for readers were a too generous, sometime people stop doing things because they are lazy or afraid of completion.

Anyone who's curious about scanners should pick the book up, it is interesting and it is comforting - just don't expect deep answers or recipes for happiness. Actually, since reading the books I feel even more frustrated at myself for scanning because I've become more aware of it and how self limiting some of the mindsets are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its excellent as short book of 101 useful quotes a scanner should know. I'd read "Refuse to Choose!" as a the main text though., 18 May 2014
This is a short useful book of quick quote like statements helpful to scanners. Its not meant to be a full book in a "Refuse to Choose!" way, which is obviously the key book to read. This book currently retails for 77p in the UK, so its not a big investment/choice to decide to buy it and its not intended to be a full text book. For what it is, I think its extremely useful, however if you haven't read "Refuse to Choose!" that is obviously the one to read first.