I think Virals is rapidly shaping up to be one of my favourite YA series to date. This second installment - which takes place about four months after the first - takes the firm foundation Reichs laid down in Virals and builds a wonderfully exciting new adventure smack on top of it.

The Viral pack - Tory, Shelton, Hi, Ben and their wolfdog Coop - are still...
Published on 11 Jan. 2012 by Miss E. Potten

3.0 out of 5 stars Be sure you know what you are buying!
This is NOT a Tempe Brennan forensic investigation but a sequel to 'Virals', the novel featuring Victoria ('Tory') Brennan, Tempe's great-neice, published a year or so ago and aimed at what was described as the 'young adult' market.

Published on 2 Jan. 2012 by Stanwegian

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked this one even better than the first - my new favourite series!, 11 Jan. 2012

The Viral pack - Tory, Shelton, Hi, Ben and their wolfdog Coop - are still attempting to figure out their new abilities when they get shocking news. Their beloved Loggerhead Island, home of the LIRI institute and a beautiful nature reserve, is to be sold off as the university budget is squeezed. Faced with the prospect of her friends being split apart and moved across the continent, Tory clutches wildly at the local legend of Anne Bonny. A fearsome flame-haired lady pirate, Bonny is rumoured to have buried her treasure somewhere in the area. Would it be enough to save Loggerhead? Can she persuade the pack that this isn't just a wild goose chase? And can they solve the mystery in time to stop the sale of the island - and before anyone else finds out what they're up to?

I loved this book. I found the relationships between the four human Virals absolutely spot-on for a group of teenagers - the idle banter, Hi's teasing wit, the slight attraction between Tory and Ben that simmers away gently - and enjoyed the continued exploration of the new pack bond that cements them together. It's great to have four such distinct and resourceful characters to root for, each with their own strengths, weaknesses and quirky idiosyncracies. The plot has a real Indiana Jones/Pirates of the Caribbean feel to it this time, with riddles to solve, a trail to follow, and a genuinely nail-biting underground set-piece that had me glued breathlessly to the pages for well over an hour. Like last time, there are dangerous people hot on the pack's heels, and in true crime thriller style Reichs throws out plenty of red herrings to stop the reader working everything out too quickly. I sincerely hope there's more still to come for the Virals - roll on book three!

4.0 out of 5 stars Virals book 2, 27 Jan. 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Seizure is the second book in Kathy Reichs' Virals series which is aimed at the young adult market. Although it is a spin off from her Temperance Brennan series (the main character Tory is Tempe's grandniece) it is very different to the adult series. That isn't necessarily a bad thing - I for one am enjoying this new series - I just think it helps to know what to expect when you pick up the book. Personally I still think it would have been better if the author hadn't tried to link the two series together because they are so different and I think fans of her adult series are picking these books up with expectations that aren't going to be met.

Although I liked Virals I have to say I think things stepped up a gear in Seizure and I enjoyed the second book even more. This is turning into a great adventure series and it still has a very strong Famous Five feel to it. You have to suspend belief at the things this bunch of 14 year olds can achieve but it is so much fun to read that I'm happy to do that. Despite the fact that this book has nearly 500 pages it still feels like quite a fast read and it is the kind of book I would have devoured when I was younger.

Tory and her friends Hi, Shelton and Ben were changed forever when they were infected by an experimental virus that has added wolf genes to their DNA. They are still learning how to use their new abilities and don't have full control over the "flares" that often come over them at the most awkward moments. They are horrified when they find out that the research institute where all of their parents work is going to be closed. It would mean them all moving away from each other and they know they need to stick together so they can keep their abilities secret. In a desperate bid to raise the money that is needed to keep Loggerhead Island open for business they decide to go in search of pirate Anne Bonny's treasure.

Anyone who has ever watched the Goonies will immediately pick up on the similarities between the two stories - a group of very close friends living near each other don't want to be separated but are going to have to move because they don't have enough money to stay, both groups go in search of hidden pirate treasure to try and save the day, many other people have searched for this treasure before but most of them have never been seen again - I could go on with the comparison but I don't want to give spoilers (everything I just mentioned happens very early in the book). As a massive fan of the Goonies I loved the similarities, I think it helps that the characters themselves make a reference to the movie and I'm sure Seizure is meant as a homage to the original story.

If you are looking for a a realistic crime thriller like the Temperance Brennan books then Seizure probably won't be the book for you. However, if you're after a fun, old fashioned adventure story with a bit of a sci-fi twist then look no further (I would recommend you start with the first book in the series Virals though). I'm sure this series will be popular with teens and I for one am really hoping we get to see more of Tory and her friends in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be sure you know what you are buying!, 2 Jan. 2012
Stanwegian (Tyneside, England) - See all my reviews

'Virals' was built around a group of four mid-teens of impeccably politically correct composition (Irish American, Native American, African American and Jewish American ancestry!) whose parents work at a research institution and nature reserve on Loggerhead Island, offshore from Charleston, South Carolina. The kids live in an employee enclave on neighbouring - and otherwise pretty much deserted - Morris Island. The first novel involved illegal shenanigans surrounding the development and testing of a synthetic supervirus. Testing was carried out on a wolf-cross pup, rescued from its fate by our four heroes, all of whom inevitably contracted the virus. As a result, they are more than a little disconcerted to find that they periodically experience periods of super-enhanced senses and abnormal physical strenghth. They keep all this to themselves - well, they would, wouldn't they?

'Seizure' begins with the discovery that due to economic pressures the research institution is to be closed down and the two islands are to be sold for commercial development. Terrified by the prospect of being separated before they have resolved their viral issues, the gang are determined to do what they can to prevent the closure and sale, though an astronomic sum of money is clearly necessary. While avoiding other guests at an overblown party, Tory discovers the legend - or is it a legend? - of Ann Bonny, a notorious female pirate active in the early 1700s who was reported to have hidden a vast treasure in or around Charleston before her capture and possible execution. And so the adventure begins .....

Apart from the Sci-Fi element, 'Seizure' is in the direct tradition of Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' - right down to the dog! At one point, the characters comment upon their collective similarity to 'The Goonies' - the group of treasure-seekers in a Stephen Spielberg story filmed by Richard Donner around 25 years ago. And that sums up the book - it never pretends to be anything more than a kids' adventure story, and at that level it works pretty well. There's lots of action, plenty of clues, any amount of secret tunnels and nocturnal expeditions, and a satisfying, if predictable, result.

I'd pitch the optimum age range a little lower than 'young adult' - my kids would have loved it from, say. 10 to 13. Within that age range, I'd hazard a guess that young readers would award an average of four - maybe even five stars. I confess that I much enjoyed wallowing in nostalgic escapism, but in that respect I've often been told that I'm not normal. I'm proud to agree! But if you read the book expecting Tempe Brennan, you're very likely going to be disappointed, and that might suggest one, or at most two stars. In the best traditions of cowardice I've decided to sit on the fence and settle for three stars - but I feel at least partly justified because in my view the publisher could and should do more to distinguish the 'Virals' series from mainstrean Kathy Reichs novels.

Despite my overall rating above, for those thinking of buying the book for what it is - a kids' adventure tale with a modest sci-fi component - 'Seizure' is, as I've said, worth four stars at least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting in the swing of things now, 29 Jan. 2012
Although I enjoyed Virals I had felt that Kathy Reichs could best be described as having made "a valiant effort" at writing for a younger market but not quite succeeded. This second book in the series is far tighter and more consistent in its presentation and the plot doesn't creak at all.

It is fairly far fetched in the way of all similar books but that is no true criticism - Harry Potter, Artemis Fowle etc are hardly examples of stark realism!

Interesting to note that in Flash and Bones (2011 Tempe Brennan novel) that reference is made to the sudden existence of Tory Brennan. Can't wait for the crossover novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 23 Feb. 2012
When i first started the Virals books i didnt realise they were different from the Brennan books but i was glad they were! Not because i dont like the Brennan books but its good to see a different subject from an author. I was riveted to these books and totally loved them! Dont expect heavy science and detailed homicides from them but do expect the Reichs flowing style and pace. Cant wait for the next one so keep writing Kathy!
P.s I am also not a "young adult" and they appeal to me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still the same niggle but good fun, 30 Mar. 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having read the original title in Kathy's YA series I was a little apprehensive as to what this, the second book would offer. Not because I didn't expect a great story, but for my pet peeve of the utilisation of links to Temperance Brennanm when in all honesty it really wasn't required.

What unfurled was a title that was part investigation and for me something that was part Goonies (which was alluded to within the text) as the "pack" of heroes from the previous title, embark on a treasure hunt to save their island and parents jobs so that they can continue to live together.

It's quirky, it has some magical moments within and of course drawing on a mystery, it allows Kathy to weave her magic leaving the reader to wonder what is happening and who are the mysterious figures behind the chase. Add to this, a solid sense of pace which when backed with a cracking lead heroine and all in, I was a very pleased reader aside from my side niggle. Great fun and definitely a solid series to help move from YA to adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Feb. 2012
I was so excited when this came up as an option for a book tour. I loved the first book in the series so I had quite big expectations when it came to this one. I sure wasn't disappointed!

One thing I loved about the last book was the quirky protagonists. The Viral gang is so funny at times and so cool at others! I still love how different they all are and yet they make the most perfect team.

One thing I would love to read more of now is some kind of development with their personal lives. I feel like a little is missing with their lives other than the special powers that they have. I would love something to happen in the next book where it was more to do with their human side and less to do with the other.

Anyway aside from that little rant. I loved the action filled plot too. When you hear a book is based on finding pirate treasure it sounds almost too cheesy but Kathy Reichs really made it work. It was so fast paced I finished the book in no time. Admittedly it was a tiny bit predictable at times but it didn't take anything away from the enjoyment of reading it.

I really recommend this series to anyone it's such good fun. Great characters, exciting plot and loads of suspense - what more could you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Jan. 2012
I love this book just as much as the first one - Virals! Yes its a young adult series but I'm 29 years old and still enjoyed it.
Its an action/adventure story that revolves around a very bright 14 year old girl, her 3 best friends and a wolfdog on the trail of buried treasure....not for personal gain but to save a very special Island.
Well written, never a dull moment and always a happy ending!

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment for archaeologists, 3 Mar. 2013
Veronica Walker Vadillo (Spain) - See all my reviews
I have a very easy taste for books: I like murder mysteries, I like gothic murder mysteries, I like young adult literature. The first novel of this series was very entertaining, much in line with Enid Blyton's series that I read when I was young. So I thought she would continue in the same line. Unfortunately, the whole plot was a disappointment. Reality has gone down the drain, with characters being underdeveloped and living in surreal houses where their parents know nothing of what they are up to. That would be okay with me, if the plot was good, like in the first book.

Firstly, part of the book is a total rip-off of the Goonies. You might feel that it's a homage, but it's too similar (from the motives driving the kids to look for treasure, to the path that leads them to an underground cavern, and even the discourse made by Tori to ensure the help of her friends!). I thought I was being ripped off my money. She even makes a shout-out to the Goonies, but I think it is not enough to cover up that half of her plot is exactly as the one in Spielberg's movie.

Secondly, what really made me want to put the book aside was her total disregard for ethics regarding historical and archaeological artifacts. Being an anthropologist herself, I though Reichs was doing us all a great favour when she set out to be as scientifically exact as possible in her books. I thought her courtesy would extend to the field of archaeology, but no. Throughout the book the kids break into several archaeological/historical buildings, they steal precious historical material, and actively destroy archaeological material. The whole book appears to be a praise to "anything goes", giving voice to those who see cultural heritage as a way of making money at no cost. Unlike Elizabeth Peters' books (especially the Amelia Peabody series) that make sure that the reader is shown the importance of preserving the past and comply with archaeological methods while the heroin is off looking for murderers, Reichs decides to project a type of activities that were acceptable in the 19th century, but not so much in the 21st century.

I did finish the book, and it did nothing for me. I could accept the lack of reality when in comes to the kids movements out of the house and lack of parental supervision (we all dreamed of that kind of freedom when we were kids!), but I can't get over the similarity with the Goonies and the lack of respect the kids show to historical buildings and artifacts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books, 16 Oct. 2012
I loved Kathy Reichs first book Virals and this one was even better than the first. It main character is Tory Brennan, Temperance Brennan's niece, and her 3 like minded freinds Sheldon, Hi and ben and her wolf dog Coop. If you love mysteries and treasure hunts you will love this book. It not only combines treasure hunt but also is part sci-fi as the group have side effect from an illegal experiment on wolfs- read in Virals- it also contained lots of history and the interaction between the characters are so spot on. The pack follows uses a treasure map to try save their pack from being broke up. This book is packed with fantastic characters, adventure and a happy ending. I loved it and cannot wait for the next. If you enjoy Kathy Reich temperance series and Virals they you need to buy this book and try it out but beware this is officially written for adult teens so may not be to your taste and also althought Temp Brennan is mentioned in this book the book are based on different sceince this one is more sci-if than scientific. A great book and I cannot wait for more temp/tory book and love the reference to the other in the books.